PDA

View Full Version : Running wire for 2 Amps?

S14Redondo
11-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Going to be putting my 2 kicker CVR's in my S14 soon and was wondering. I already have 2 amps. One Kicker 400.1 and a kenwood amp (like 850 watts). Both run on 4 gauge wire.

A) Can I run two different kinds of amps for a combined power.

And

B) If I can. Is there a way I can get away with running one 0 gauge power wire through the car and have a splitter take it into two 4 gauge wires that could power both amps? I know I would need a high output alt. and 2 batteries but can it be pulled off (EDIT: and still run efficiently.)

Reasoning behind this is, either way I will need 0 gauge wire through the car. If I cant get the power I want with the 2 amps. I sell them and add some money and I got a better amp. No money lost just using what I got.

Any input?

slimm
11-25-2008, 01:06 PM
are u putting one amp on each sub? if so, you should use the same type of amp. if neccessary, run 2 4gauge wires from the battery. it would be easier and just as efficient to run the 4gauge and split to 2 4gauge. if you run two wet cell batteries, be sure to get an isolator. some people say its not neccessary, but its safer. you could just run your system on a dry cell by itself and not run it from the car battery at all. hit me up if you need more info. im pretty sure i prolly left out some details, but i cant think of what they are off the top of my head.

BanginJimmy
11-25-2008, 02:03 PM
\A) Can I run two different kinds of amps for a combined power.

No, if you run 2 amps to subs they should be strapped together to form a single signal or in 2 seperate enclosures.

B) If I can. Is there a way I can get away with running one 0 gauge power wire through the car and have a splitter take it into two 4 gauge wires that could power both amps? I know I would need a high output alt. and 2 batteries but can it be pulled off (EDIT: and still run efficiently.)

The cleanest way would be to run a single 1/0awg wire to a distro block then a single 4awg to each amp. High output alt would help a little, but I would do a big 3 upgrade first, then do a high output alt, then a second battery. In your case a small upgrade in alt might be necessary, but you wont need a second battery unless you upgrade amps by a pretty good amount.

Reasoning behind this is, either way I will need 0 gauge wire through the car. If I cant get the power I want with the 2 amps. I sell them and add some money and I got a better amp. No money lost just using what I got.

Any input?

Running the 1/0 will give you alot of headroom for upgrading in the future so that is kind of a no brainer. If you already own the amps, then again, it is not going to cot you anything more than cost of a few ring terminals and a distro block to install them so the cost is minimal. Like I said before though, you shouldnt run subs off of 2 different amps unless they are strapped, and especially amps of different brands.

redgst97
11-25-2008, 10:25 PM
A Kicker 400.1 and a Kenwood...? I doubt you will need a new alternator for a system of that size. Would it help? Sure, but probably NOT where I would spend the money first.

1/0 is way overkill for what you have now, but worth it if you planon upgradign into the future. Be carful of cheap wire. I have an example of "good" 8AWG wire that is the same size (copper wise) as a "cheap" 4AWG wire. Its NOT all the same...

S14Redondo
11-25-2008, 11:52 PM
Oh I know all wire isnt the same. Ive been installing basic one amp to two or less subs for years, and seen my fair share of shitty wiring. So im no newb when it comes to all the nitty gritty.

And what does strapped mean?

BanginJimmy
11-26-2008, 09:06 AM
strapping 2 amps are when you connect them together so 1 amp cotrols both and they can combine with output into a single signal. Not all amps can do it though.

S14Redondo
11-26-2008, 12:23 PM
strapping 2 amps are when you connect them together so 1 amp cotrols both and they can combine with output into a single signal. Not all amps can do it though.

But bad idea with 2 different kinds of amps.

BanginJimmy
11-26-2008, 12:58 PM
But bad idea with 2 different kinds of amps.

you cant do it at all if the if you dont have the same amps.

S14Redondo
11-26-2008, 01:07 PM
you cant do it at all if the if you dont have the same amps.

Thank You