PDA

View Full Version : Civic with 426 whp, need some help

jakerd4892
11-23-2008, 09:23 PM
im gonna buy this civic with 426 whp.
it doesnt pass emissions, and i live in gwinnett (bummer)
i think i know of a place that may pass me, but what should I do until i get emissions passed.
Would I be ok with a tag applied for sign for a few days?
or any other ideas of how to bypass the whole emissions testing bs?
thanks for any help

Motivation
11-23-2008, 09:26 PM
what are the reasons that it doesn't pass emisions? No cat or muffler? CEL?

d16_turbo
11-23-2008, 09:28 PM
get a stock sohc swap, stock exhaust and stock ecu, and just swap it in once a year to pass emissions, then put the other motor back in

jakerd4892
11-23-2008, 09:33 PM
get a stock sohc swap, stock exhaust and stock ecu, and just swap it in once a year to pass emissions, then put the other motor back in

ha, if you provide the money and time to do it, then kudos

and CEL but also other reasons, because I can make a CEL disappear, i'm gonna test drive it again within the next week, so I'll find out then, but i'm excited about this car, its quick because its so light

d16_turbo
11-23-2008, 09:36 PM

it would only take about 3 hours to do the swap

Motivation
11-23-2008, 09:38 PM

and CEL but also other reasons, because I can make a CEL disappear, i'm gonna test drive it again within the next week, so I'll find out then, but i'm excited about this car, its quick because its so light

a civic with 426 whp should be a little more than just "quick". Just wondering, does seller have proof of power claim?

00CelicaGT
11-23-2008, 09:40 PM
im gonna buy this civic with 426 whp.
it doesnt pass emissions, and i live in gwinnett (bummer)
i think i know of a place that may pass me, but what should I do until i get emissions passed.
Would I be ok with a tag applied for sign for a few days?
or any other ideas of how to bypass the whole emissions testing bs?
thanks for any help

u should be good with the tag applied for about 2 or 3 days maybe, but i wouldn't drive it all over the place untill u get a real tag. i would only drive to work or school, places of importance. not all ur friends house to show it off.

i went to gwinnett tech so i know how the cops are around there. just make sure u keep the title, bill of sale with you.

oh almost forgot, have valid insurance in ur name.

d16_turbo
11-23-2008, 09:42 PM
does seller have proof of power claim?

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q206/d16_turbo/vtakav.gif

Motivation
11-23-2008, 09:45 PM
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q206/d16_turbo/vtakav.gif

lol. reps. :goodjob:

even though that tq curve is higher than expected. :lmfao:

*runs*

d16_turbo
11-23-2008, 09:51 PM
lol. reps. :goodjob:

even though that tq curve is higher than expected. :lmfao:

*runs*

lol

BUGMAN
11-23-2008, 10:11 PM
a civic with 426 whp should be a little more than just "quick". Just wondering, does seller have proof of power claim?

Good question. I would have to see it to believe it if he is planning on driving it everyday. Not saying it is impossible but I know a lot of people claim numbers they know nothing of. Hope this guy isn't getting reamed.

Also when you buy a vehicle in Ga. as long as you have insurance on it you have 30 days to get a tag.

On_Her_Face
11-23-2008, 10:27 PM
traction will be another issue, and like bugman said not a good DD choice

J13eck
11-24-2008, 12:30 PM
good luck, make sure you try to get proof of everything the guy is telling you...

jakerd4892
11-24-2008, 02:28 PM
yeah, i know, i have already seen the dyno sheets, it is all legit. And the daily driver aspect, gotta figure it out, I'm thinkin about toning down the boost to where my hp is about 300 hp until i get another car. But I could handle it at full power on the streets, just gotta be careful.

On_Her_Face
11-24-2008, 05:55 PM
you might be able to handle the power, but the motor might not be able to.

BUGMAN
11-24-2008, 06:51 PM
you might be able to handle the power, but the motor might not be able to.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. That's a ton of power for a DD. I have a few street cars with 600+ rwhp but I wouldn't recommend driving them daily either. Don't get me wrong, it sounds cool as hell but when your pushing that much horse power the motor may not be built for DD.

Good luck either way and we expect pictures when ya get it. :goodjob:

SPOOLIN
11-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Good question. I would have to see it to believe it if he is planning on driving it everyday. Not saying it is impossible but I know a lot of people claim numbers they know nothing of. Hope this guy isn't getting reamed.

Also when you buy a vehicle in Ga. as long as you have insurance on it you have 30 days to get a tag.

not hard to believe at all. there are plenty of us that have daily driven 5-600hp street hondas for years, thats what i did with my white car and plan to do it again sometime in the near future. What year is the car? OBD2 is a little more of a hassle i believe than obd1 cars to "pass". Easiest thing is registering the car with a relative in a county without emissions, i don't know if you can still do the p.o. box thing or not. What are some specs on the car, maybe with that we could guess if the power claim is even plausible.

SPOOLIN
11-24-2008, 07:01 PM
there is a lot of misinformation going on here...

:rolleyes:

BUGMAN
11-24-2008, 08:33 PM
not hard to believe at all. there are plenty of us that have daily driven 5-600hp street hondas for years, thats what i did with my white car and plan to do it again sometime in the near future.

i don't know if you can still do the p.o. box thing or not. What are some specs on the car, maybe with that we could guess if the power claim is even plausible.

Oh I know it is very possible but 95% of the time you hear of a 400 rwhp Civic someone is blowing smoke. No different than most kid's that claim to have 400 rwhp Mustang or Camaros. Nothing against the make, just the absence of proof.

They quit doing the P.O.thing a while back unless you can show proof of residency like a power bill, phone bill, etc in your name at that address. Haven't investigated in a while so not 100% sure either way.

90_ACCORD
11-24-2008, 08:43 PM
No different than most kid's that claim to have 400 rwhp Mustang or Camaros.

so true
i went to school with this kid who drove a mustang and all he ever did was talk about how it had 400 hp. it was completely stock and i think it was like a 97' or 98'. he never did prove it but he claims it had that

SCtuneguy
11-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Oh I know it is very possible but 95% of the time you hear of a 400 rwhp Civic someone is blowing smoke. No different than most kid's that claim to have 400 rwhp Mustang or Camaros. Nothing against the make, just the absence of proof.

They quit doing the P.O.thing a while back unless you can show proof of residency like a power bill, phone bill, etc in your name at that address. Haven't investigated in a while so not 100% sure either way.

Not to be an ass, but if you here anyone making a claim about a 400 Rwhp civic, there is a 100000% chance they are bsing... find me a RWD civic please. However, 400 WHP is plausible... not often as a DD, but yes found.

yogi08
11-24-2008, 08:53 PM

400 RWHP CIVIC?? :P

really though, the OP claims to be able to handle this much power to its full potential on the streets... good luck. when i first was deciding what i wanted my first car to be i got in a friends z06 with a bottle and if it wasnt for it being a manual and throwing it into neutral when i almost lost control i probably wouldve killed myself and the car haha.

BUGMAN
11-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Not to be an ass, but if you here anyone making a claim about a 400
Rwhp
civic, there is a 100000% chance they are bsing... find me a RWD civic please. However, 400 WHP is plausible... not often as a DD, but yes found.

Good point but you don't have to beg, I can find ya several RWHP Civic's that run deep into the 9's and some much faster. Hell I know one that would slaughter any car on here but that is a rarity as far as the rwhp goes.

Of course you caught me in a goof up so I give ya credit for that one. I should have said at the tires since it is more than likely a FWD in this instance. :cheers:

Just for fun here is a quick clip of Danny's car from Ware Shoals. He brought it to Bugday last year and this thing is a freaking beast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88hIPRt6g6k&feature=related

Here is one from Bugday last year when his wheelie bar bolt broke in 1/2. Wild Ride for sure but he was fine enough to fix it and make several more passes after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPKc4dvWmdY&feature=related

jakerd4892
11-24-2008, 09:12 PM
I wouldnt be flooring it evertime guys, that's what I mean by handling it, ha. And yes, fwd, and its all legit, owned by acura dealer head mechanic. I've been with him during the whole engine building and turbo install

SPOOLIN
11-24-2008, 10:20 PM
lol here you go guys. Hart Racing has had a rwd civic in comp/E for quite some time. NSX engine RWD.

video:
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/HART_Tuner/?action=view&current=20080420035624.flv

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p303/RSAKIMOTO/4.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p303/RSAKIMOTO/3.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p303/RSAKIMOTO/2.jpg

Motivation
11-24-2008, 10:28 PM
^^^ That engine bay is sick... I think it needs some more piping though. :ninja:

OG-Skinny
11-24-2008, 10:49 PM
I read up until "what should i do about a tag..."

1. You have 2-3 days from date of sale to put insurance on the vehicle purchased.
2. If you have previous insurance from another car already, you have 14 days to transfer it.
3. You have 30 days from the date of sale to tag the vehicle bought. Within that 30 days you have to pass emissions for vehicles 1983-2005, and have min. Liability insurance.

Captain-Obvious™
11-24-2008, 11:28 PM
I read up until "what should i do about a tag..."

1. You have 2-3 days from date of sale to put insurance on the vehicle purchased.
2. If you have previous insurance from another car already, you have 14 days to transfer it.
3. You have 30 days from the date of sale to tag the vehicle bought. Within that 30 days you have to pass emissions for vehicles 1983-2005, and have min. Liability insurance.

not if the car already has current emmisions ...hell I bought a boosted civic that wouldn't pass emissions from a county that didn't have emmisions and I just went right to the gwinnett tag office and asked for a tag...they gave it to me and I never got emmisions...

so go try to get the tag before you spend any money...who knows? they might give you one

OG-Skinny
11-25-2008, 12:17 AM
not if the car already has current emmisions ...hell I bought a boosted civic that wouldn't pass emissions from a county that didn't have emmisions and I just went right to the gwinnett tag office and asked for a tag...they gave it to me and I never got emmisions...

so go try to get the tag before you spend any money...who knows? they might give you one

True. If the car already has had it's registration (tag) paid for for the same year, then you would just need insurance.

seanrg1116
11-25-2008, 08:23 AM
I smell bullshit until u can show some kind of build info.

Just curious but how old r u?

On_Her_Face
11-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Good point but you don't have to beg, I can find ya several RWHP Civic's that run deep into the 9's and some much faster. Hell I know one that would slaughter any car on here but that is a rarity as far as the rwhp goes.

Of course you caught me in a goof up so I give ya credit for that one. I should have said at the tires since it is more than likely a FWD in this instance. :cheers:

Just for fun here is a quick clip of Danny's car from Ware Shoals. He brought it to Bugday last year and this thing is a freaking beast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88hIPRt6g6k&feature=related

Here is one from Bugday last year when his wheelie bar bolt broke in 1/2. Wild Ride for sure but he was fine enough to fix it and make several more passes after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPKc4dvWmdY&feature=related

Didn't that orange civic sling a rod a nopi a few years back

BUGMAN
11-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Didn't that orange civic sling a rod a nopi a few years back

Not that I know of. I don't see Danny going to any Nopi events but it is possible.

On_Her_Face
11-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Not that I know of. I don't see Danny going to any Nopi events but it is possible.

it was in the burnout deal.