PDA

View Full Version : Misc Another new toy: Rock River/PRI AR15 customized

allmotoronly
11-22-2008, 08:53 PM
I bought this gun a few weeks ago and it finally got here today. I wanted a 6.8 spc, but everyone has been sold out for a while, so I had to improvise. The gun started as a $900 Rock River LAR15 flat top 5.56mm. From there I had a $550 PRI 6.8 SPC Barrel and bolt installed. I also had a $400 Daniel Defense rail, $40 Daniel Defense rail panels, $140 Magpul CTR stock, and $80 magpul MAID grip installed. The grip is pretty cool, you can hide two rounds inside it. I also bought a scope mount and today I installed an extra scope I had already. I plan on getting a NCSTAR tactical scope sometime soon, as well as a magpul trigger guard.
I took the gun out and shot it today. It feels much stronger than the 5.56 AR15's. I put 20 rounds through it without incident. As soon as Barrett gets more of their 6.8 SPC ammo back in stock I plan on buying 300 rounds.

Here's a few pics. Let me know what you think!!!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/jdmludesir/DSC02174.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/jdmludesir/DSC02178.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/jdmludesir/DSC02177.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/jdmludesir/DSC02184.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/jdmludesir/DSC02186.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/jdmludesir/DSC02183.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/jdmludesir/DSC02187.jpg

Here's a little comparison between a .270 win (6.8x64.5 ) and a 6.8 SPC (6.8x43). The SPC has a much smaller case, but uses a newer type or propellant which makes higher muzzle velocities a possibility in a smaller case.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/jdmludesir/DSC02189.jpg

VQ35 Star
11-23-2008, 12:59 AM
nice AR. I love that stock, and nice color choice too

§treet_§peed
11-23-2008, 03:58 AM
very nice my friend has a AR15 with just a rail but this one is nicely done. i would love to have one of these. i also love how smooth they shoot

allmotoronly
11-23-2008, 10:59 AM
This one shoots very well. I think the next big upgrade will be a gas piston conversion. Those run about $400-500, but the gun will run cooler and cleaner.

Mr. Antonov
11-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Wow thats nice..

00CelicaGT
11-23-2008, 03:03 PM
rock river is the way to go, they make the best AR's out there! +1 for jew!

§treet_§peed
11-23-2008, 03:33 PM
i just love how there is no recoil lol. first time i shot it i figured even tho it has the spring in the arm i still figured a little bit. but sure enough nothing just a bad ass gun lol

BanginJimmy
11-25-2008, 02:39 PM
what are the advantages of the 6.8 round over the 5.56 round besides the obvious higher muzzle velocity and more stopping power?

I know the 5.56 is used by the military right now because of all of the damage even an inaccurate hit can do, but a larger round simple penetrates further and has more changes of a through and through.

allmotoronly
11-25-2008, 07:34 PM
It's actually the opposite. The larger round has a slightly lower velocity, which means there is less chance of a through and through. The knockdown power is almost three times that of the 5.56mm because this bullet has more of a tendancy to mushroom and cause maximum damage. The bullet also weighs about twice as much as 5.56 NATO rounds.

The 6.8 SPC was actually developed by request of some of the different special forces divisions who wanted something that could actually compete with the 7.62x39 found in the AK47. The different groups were pleased and some have adopted the round as standard (some navy seal divisions, etc). The only reason it hasn't been adopted by more of the armed forces is due to the price of retrofitting all of the current in service M16's and M4's.

DVSRX-7
11-25-2008, 11:04 PM
i kno nothing about guns.. but it looks nice..

allmotoronly
11-27-2008, 09:54 AM
thanks!

BanginJimmy
11-27-2008, 10:27 AM
It's actually the opposite. The larger round has a slightly lower velocity, which means there is less chance of a through and through. The knockdown power is almost three times that of the 5.56mm because this bullet has more of a tendancy to mushroom and cause maximum damage. The bullet also weighs about twice as much as 5.56 NATO rounds.

The 6.8 SPC was actually developed by request of some of the different special forces divisions who wanted something that could actually compete with the 7.62x39 found in the AK47. The different groups were pleased and some have adopted the round as standard (some navy seal divisions, etc). The only reason it hasn't been adopted by more of the armed forces is due to the price of retrofitting all of the current in service M16's and M4's.

is it just that round with the lower velocity? One of the reasons we went to the smaller round back in the 70's was to lower velocity of the 5.56. The 5.56 doesnt mushroom too much, what it does it bouce off of everything it hits and does alot of damage.
From a Corpsman friend of mine who did 3 tours in Iraq, that larger AK round probably saved at least 20 lives that he was part of when compared to a 5.56. They were through and through's that a smaller round would have caused much more damage.

FasTech
11-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Very nice man!

allmotoronly
11-28-2008, 07:02 PM
is it just that round with the lower velocity? One of the reasons we went to the smaller round back in the 70's was to lower velocity of the 5.56. The 5.56 doesnt mushroom too much, what it does it bouce off of everything it hits and does alot of damage.
From a Corpsman friend of mine who did 3 tours in Iraq, that larger AK round probably saved at least 20 lives that he was part of when compared to a 5.56. They were through and through's that a smaller round would have caused much more damage.

The only reason we went to 5.56 was because at the time it was thought that ground troops needed a smaller lighter weapon than the M14 (7.62 NATO), with less recoil. The 5.56 actually has more velocity than the 7.62 nato (about 400ft/sec more). The light weight of the round is what causes it to bounce off things. The AK round (7.62x39) actually has a much slower velocity than the 5.56 NATO (around 800ft/sec less). The only reason that the 5.56 can do as much damage as the larger rounds is because of the super high velocity.

In other words, the 6.8 has the heavier bullet like 7.62x39, and also the higher velocity of the 5.56 NATO. It is the best of both worlds. I wouldn't be surprised if the US armed forces adopts a larger round for the standard personnel weapon when they next upgrade.

ka24boost
12-14-2008, 08:20 AM
impact gun store sales a single/3 burst/ full auto matic conversion for the ar for under 200.00 just dont get caught with it. It includes the selector and the firing pin.

This one shoots very well. I think the next big upgrade will be a gas piston conversion. Those run about $400-500, but the gun will run cooler and cleaner.

allmotoronly
12-15-2008, 08:19 PM
you have to have a class 3 ffl to even buy those parts.

ka24boost
12-16-2008, 07:21 AM
no i dont think so. You have go to a class 3 dealer cause i brought my slicencer before I got my class 3

allmotoronly
12-21-2008, 10:43 AM
no i dont think so. You have go to a class 3 dealer cause i brought my slicencer before I got my class 3

silencers and suppressors are different. Any person can own a silencer or suppressor if you just pay the $500 tax on it. It is illegal for any person to convert a semi auto weapon to full auto without a class III manufacturers license. If you have a class 3 you should know this.

ka24boost
12-23-2008, 06:46 PM
The tax was not 500 when i purchase mine. You can order the parts with out having a class 3 license and like I said just dont get caught with it. They will ship the parts directly to your home, check it out if you dont believe me. You do not need the Class 3 if purchasing pre ban automatic weapon from a gun store. The only reason I got a license so I could carry my glock 18 as my conceal with no problem and to order guns over the internet. You can only buy a glock 18 from he factory and they require a license.

silencers and suppressors are different. Any person can own a silencer or suppressor if you just pay the $500 tax on it. It is illegal for any person to convert a semi auto weapon to full auto without a class III manufacturers license. If you have a class 3 you should know this.

ka24boost
12-23-2008, 07:01 PM
from the web site

It is a common misconception that machine guns cannot be owned by law-abiding citizens. This comes from the creation of a variety of confusing laws that have made purchasing a full-auto gun more difficult than purchasing a "normal" gun. But, if you can comply with the law, you may qualify to own a machine gun.

First a brief history: In May of 1986, certain laws went into effect that made it illegal for 'civilians' to own fully automatic firearms that were manufactured AFTER THAT DATE. Many fully automatic weapons manufactured, registered and tax paid BEFORE MAY, 1986, MAY BE OWNED BY AND SOLD TO INDIVIDUALS. The full-auto guns that may be owned by individuals are called 'transferable'. Some states DO NOT allow machine gun ownership at all, no matter when the gun was made, but many states do.

To purchase a transferable machine gun, you must meet certain requirements (generally the same as when you purchase another gun, but with additional scrutiny), fill out special paperwork (called a 'form 4'), and pay a $200, one-time, transfer tax. Every time a machine gun is transferred, the $200 tax must be paid-- usually by the purchaser. The steps to take to purchase a transferable machine gun are:

Find a dealer locally who can assist you in all phases of the transfer. This should go beyond helping you fill out the paperwork: they should help you locate the gun if it isn't in stock and allow you to shoot the gun while your paperwork is being processed by the BATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms). It will usually take 4-6 weeks for the dealer to get the gun from another dealer if they don't already have it in stock (due to BATF paperwork delays).
Get your fingerprints (either by a police dept. or by a qualified fingerprinter, two imprints are needed) and two passport sized pictures taken. These will be used to perform a comprehensive criminal background check on you.
Have your local dealer help you fill out an "Application for Tax Paid Transfer And Registration Of Firearm" for, known as a "form 4".
You must have the signature of the Chief Law Enforcement (CLEO) officer that has jurisdiction over the municipality in which you live on the form 4. This could be the City Chief or the County Sheriff, for example. This is usually not a problem-- in machine gun friendly states. The form 4, CLEO signature, 2 fingerprint cards, 2 pictures, and a $200 check (your one-time transfer tax) must all be mailed to the BATF and an approved tax stamp returned before you may take possession of the gun. This may take anywhere from 2 to 5 months.
Although it may seem complicated, we are happy to help you through every step in the process. We have transferable guns in stock, and if we don't have it, we can tap into a network of dealers in other states to find it for you. Let us help you get the full-auto gun that you've always wanted-- they are worth it! We are not lawyers, and do not represent ourselves to offer legal advice. We can point you in the direction of counsel upon request.

allmotoronly
12-25-2008, 05:39 PM
from the web site

It is a common misconception that machine guns cannot be owned by law-abiding citizens. This comes from the creation of a variety of confusing laws that have made purchasing a full-auto gun more difficult than purchasing a "normal" gun. But, if you can comply with the law, you may qualify to own a machine gun.

First a brief history: In May of 1986, certain laws went into effect that made it illegal for 'civilians' to own fully automatic firearms that were manufactured AFTER THAT DATE. Many fully automatic weapons manufactured, registered and tax paid BEFORE MAY, 1986, MAY BE OWNED BY AND SOLD TO INDIVIDUALS. The full-auto guns that may be owned by individuals are called 'transferable'. Some states DO NOT allow machine gun ownership at all, no matter when the gun was made, but many states do.

To purchase a transferable machine gun, you must meet certain requirements (generally the same as when you purchase another gun, but with additional scrutiny), fill out special paperwork (called a 'form 4'), and pay a $200, one-time, transfer tax. Every time a machine gun is transferred, the $200 tax must be paid-- usually by the purchaser. The steps to take to purchase a transferable machine gun are:

Find a dealer locally who can assist you in all phases of the transfer. This should go beyond helping you fill out the paperwork: they should help you locate the gun if it isn't in stock and allow you to shoot the gun while your paperwork is being processed by the BATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms). It will usually take 4-6 weeks for the dealer to get the gun from another dealer if they don't already have it in stock (due to BATF paperwork delays).
Get your fingerprints (either by a police dept. or by a qualified fingerprinter, two imprints are needed) and two passport sized pictures taken. These will be used to perform a comprehensive criminal background check on you.
Have your local dealer help you fill out an "Application for Tax Paid Transfer And Registration Of Firearm" for, known as a "form 4".
You must have the signature of the Chief Law Enforcement (CLEO) officer that has jurisdiction over the municipality in which you live on the form 4. This could be the City Chief or the County Sheriff, for example. This is usually not a problem-- in machine gun friendly states. The form 4, CLEO signature, 2 fingerprint cards, 2 pictures, and a $200 check (your one-time transfer tax) must all be mailed to the BATF and an approved tax stamp returned before you may take possession of the gun. This may take anywhere from 2 to 5 months.
Although it may seem complicated, we are happy to help you through every step in the process. We have transferable guns in stock, and if we don't have it, we can tap into a network of dealers in other states to find it for you. Let us help you get the full-auto gun that you've always wanted-- they are worth it! We are not lawyers, and do not represent ourselves to offer legal advice. We can point you in the direction of counsel upon request.

I thought we were talking about converting a semi auto AR15 to full auto. I have never seen a website that offered the parts who didn't require a class 3 FFL. I don't know what you are talking about..

by the way, how much did you pay for your glock 18? Is your's non compensated or compensated?

ka24boost
12-25-2008, 07:26 PM
The glock 18c is not a true compensated barrel it more of a ported barrel. I got it for 2000.00 you can only buy one with a law enforcement

Blitanicle99
12-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Very nice AR, I have a DPMS lower and stock I bought a few weeks ago that I need to finish.

allmotoronly
12-28-2008, 09:19 AM
The glock 18c is not a true compensated barrel it more of a ported barrel. I got it for 2000.00 you can only buy one with a law enforcement

So are you law enforcement? The last time I saw a glock 18 that was available for sale to an individual with a class 3 FFL they were asking $15,000. I guess you got a good deal

You have it backwards. The 18c IS a truely compensated barrel, where as the regular 18 is simply ported.

glock 18
http://www.modelguns-worldwide.com/images/glock18e.jpg

glock 18c
http://www.conjay.com/Glock_18_Top_View.JPG

ka24boost
12-28-2008, 09:45 AM
My brother is ATF so he got it directly from glock. According to the glock rep privately own glock 18 sell for 15,000-90,000 and their are only around 200 in the united states. The glock 18 is on the same frame as the 17 the only thing different is the selector on the slide.

So are you law enforcement? The last time I saw a glock 18 that was available for sale to an individual with a class 3 FFL they were asking $15,000. I guess you got a good deal

You have it backwards. The 18c IS a truely compensated barrel, where as the regular 18 is simply ported.

glock 18
http://www.modelguns-worldwide.com/images/glock18e.jpg

glock 18c
http://www.conjay.com/Glock_18_Top_View.JPG