PDA

View Full Version : AEM Cam problem d series

1sikcvc
11-22-2008, 03:51 PM
i just put on my cam gear today and it is a sohc d16. i retarded the timing 2 degrees and when i started it up it sounded ok. got the bolt in the middle as tight as i could for now until i purchase another 12mm socket (broke my other one trying to get it off so i used 2 wrenches to get the new one on). here's the problem: hit the gas and got a dragging engine. burnt smell (only drove up the block and back at no more than 30mph) and a bit of smoke coming from what seemed to be around the valve cover. can anyone help me on this? is my timing off or what?

Barefoot
11-22-2008, 05:55 PM
set the gear to 0 on a stock engine. if that dont work check your timing again.

1sikcvc
11-22-2008, 07:49 PM
so it has to be set at 0 to work correctly? it's got a few small mods such as an intake and such. will i have to set this at 0 or do you think the timing is off?

Barefoot
11-22-2008, 09:19 PM
set at 0 and try it. then if it doesnt correct it. check your timing again.

1sikcvc
11-23-2008, 12:32 AM
will do for now if anyone else has had this problem before please post your solution for me. thanks

SiRed94
11-23-2008, 01:33 AM
Could possibly have the timing off. Most likely advanced if you smell a burning smell, like an overheating exhaust, if that's the only factor you've changed.

scttydb411
11-23-2008, 10:06 AM
stupid question, but did you get the cam key back in before tightening the camgear to the cam? you shouldn't need to retard the timing on the cam gear unless you have it on a dyno and can see what the changes are doing. on a sohc it usually just shifts the power band and since the dist is at the other end of the cam effectively advances/retards the timing as well...so to be effective you need to reset the dist timing too.

1sikcvc
11-23-2008, 07:27 PM
yeah we are going to reset the timing tomorrow and see what that does. reset from the crankshaft. hopefully this will work and i want to keep the retard on the cam gear so i have a better top end. i just wanted to basically know if anyone ever experienced this problem before with their car and possibly knew of a quick solution. thanks to those who helped out though.

James777
11-24-2008, 07:08 PM
set it at the track. i gained a half second in the quarter mile in my 97 ex going back to zero. don't forget, everytime you change your cam timing, you need to re set your ignition timing.

james

Barefoot
11-25-2008, 11:36 AM
set it at the track.
jamesy :thinking: