PDA

View Full Version : Sport Compact Car is no more.

Tracy
11-21-2008, 05:35 PM
It's going down........old media is almost dead.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/21/source-interlink-kills-i-sport-compact-car-i-laying-off-115/

Source Interlink kills Sport Compact Car, laying off 115 employees

Posted Nov 21st 2008 4:01PM by Damon Lavrinc
Filed under: Etc.

We just got off the phone with Joey Leh, former editor of Sport Compact Car, who informed us that the majority of the magazine's staff was laid off yesterday and that the February issue will be the last SCC you'll find on newsstands. The death of SCC follows Source Interlink's execution of Turbo earlier this year, and reports suggest that 115 employees have been given the boot and more titles could be axed in the future.

Sport Compact Car was the go-to title for gearheads obsessed with small displacement engines, forced induction, number crunching and the black arts of ECU and suspension tuning, with a dedicated focus on down-and-dirty tech, unique reviews, stellar writing and going fast on a budget. Both the page count and circulation numbers have dropped over the last five years, although according to our sources, ad revenue was up and distribution was holding steady.

On a personal note, SCC was the magazine that got this scribe hooked on driving and the finer points of air-to-fuel ratios, provided me with my first freelance gig and inspired me – primarily through the writings of Dave Coleman, Josh Jacquot, Mike Kojima, Andy Hope, James Tate, John Pearley Huffman and Jared Holstein, among many others – to pursue my dream of writing about cars. SCC will be sorely missed and the world is truly a worse place without it.

Hit the jump to see a list of everyone who has made Sport Compact Car possible over the last two decades.

From SportCompactCarWeb.com

EJ25RUN
11-21-2008, 05:39 PM
They are not the only ones.

Turbo & High-Tech Performance Magazine gets the axe

Autoblog

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/10/mike300zx_450.jpg
The first issue hit newsstands in June 1985, and after 23 years in the game, Turbo & High-Tech Performance Magazine is rumored to be at the end of its rope. In its late 90's heyday, Turbo Magazine boasted over 150 content-filled pages in each issue during the the import drag racing boom. And the small displacement engines of Japanese sports and compact cars provided the perfect platform to show off turbocharging technology. The complexities of a turbocharged vehicle used to intimidate many consumers and engine builders, but the vision of Turbo Magazine founder Kipp Kington brought the technology within reach of the average enthusiast.

But in recent years, the pages of the magazine have dwindled significantly. Even with an increased demand for smaller displacement, forced induction engines, Turbo has been left behind for shark bait. Its widespread distribution has been reduced to a trickle and finding an issue of Turbo on the rack became as rare as spotting Sasquatch. If the rumor holds true, we will be sorry to see it go, but its place in automotive history will not be forgotten.

DeutscheBAG!
11-21-2008, 05:42 PM
damn
i remember buying my first issue back in high school..the 10best cars under $25k

Tracy
11-21-2008, 05:46 PM
I knew Turbo was done a while ago even before they were done it was pretty much known. It turned into like a 5 page magazine. I just thought SCC maybe had a little more clout and reader base. I guess I was wrong.

Turbo04
11-21-2008, 05:50 PM
I knew Turbo was done a while ago even before they were done it was pretty much known. It turned into like a 5 page magazine. I just thought SCC maybe had a little more clout and reader base. I guess I was wrong.

SCC has being getting slimmer and slimmer over the years...I stopped buying it about 1.5 years ago when it turned into adds with a little bit of words in between. Granted it was a good read it just went down hill and I had a feeling the end was coming.

LIKEG6
11-21-2008, 05:54 PM
That freakin sucks

I guess Super Street is next??

I guess I'm glad I saved up all my old ones so I can read em since there will be no morme new ones

BKgen®
11-21-2008, 05:59 PM
hope this doesn't happen to Modified.... :no:

mocha latte cupcake
11-21-2008, 06:00 PM
very sad to see SSC go, i left turbo for dead a long time ago.... i'm surprise import tuner is still around and well.. its just a matter of time before its down to only a select few...

Tracy
11-21-2008, 06:34 PM
I am in school for advertising and I am also interning at a PR Agency. We talk every day about how old media is pretty much done. It's all so web based now. Information on the web is easy to access, cheap to access and more "green" as far as paper waste goes. When we pitch to the media, we pitch more to the Internet based media fist, just because there are so many more impressions through that outlet.

BKgen®
11-21-2008, 06:35 PM
AiA FTL

Tracy
11-21-2008, 06:37 PM
AiA FTLagreed. BUT on a happier note, my internship rawks and I think I may have landed one at a big automotive PR Agency. :yes:

DeutscheBAG!
11-21-2008, 06:48 PM
very sad to see SSC go, i left turbo for dead a long time ago.... i'm surprise import tuner is still around and well.. its just a matter of time before its down to only a select few...

once tuner lost MaxBoost..i stopped reading it

The Yousef
11-21-2008, 10:57 PM
really!?!?!

that sucks...SCC was the first magazine i ever subscribed too!

Dave Coleman is my hero...granted i understand barely anything he writes...but still :(

Bruce Leroy
11-22-2008, 06:31 AM
Damn that sucks...

Scc is the only import magazine that I read.

EM1toEVO
11-22-2008, 06:52 AM
Sad news. It will be missed. I'm glad I didn't renew in September...