PDA

View Full Version : Misc american remake of old boy

phatzboyal
11-21-2008, 12:45 PM
so there are rumors going around there will be a remake of the korean movie old boy. will smith and steven spielberg has shown interest in the movie. what you guys think? i think remakes just ruin movies. i'm starting to believe the rumor that hollywood is running out of ideas and all new movies will be sequels, prequels, and remakes.

Ran
11-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Hollywood has been stealing Asian titles for a while now. The Ring, Shutter, The Grudge, Save the Last Dance, and countless others. This doesn't surprise me one bit.

Tuan
11-21-2008, 01:41 PM
wth is old boy?

JackMaster
11-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Dont forget The Departed too... I think that movie even won an Academy Award

Hollywood has been stealing Asian titles for a while now. The Ring, Shutter, The Grudge, Save the Last Dance, and countless others. This doesn't surprise me one bit.

Ran
11-21-2008, 03:31 PM
wth is old boy?Old Boy is a Korean suspense film from 2003. It's based on the Japanese manga (comic) of the same title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldboy

Oldboy is a 2003 South Korean film directed by Park Chan-wook. It is based on a Japanese manga of the same name written by Nobuaki Minegishi and Garon Tsuchiya. Oldboy is the second installment of The Vengeance Trilogy, preceded by Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and followed by Sympathy for Lady Vengeance.

The movie follows the story of Dae-Su who is locked in a hotel room for 15 years without knowing his captor's motives. When he is finally released, Dae Su finds himself still trapped in a web of conspiracy and strangeness. His own quest for vengeance becomes tied in with romance when he falls for an attractive sushi chef.

The film won the Grand Prix at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival and high praise from the President of the Jury, director Quentin Tarantino, who could not persuade the members of the jury to give it the Palme d'Or over Fahrenheit 9/11. Critically, the movie has been well received in the United States, with an 82% "Certified Fresh" rating at Rottentomatoes.com. Film critic Roger Ebert has claimed Oldboy to be a "...powerful film not because of what it depicts, but because of the depths of the human heart which it strips bare." :goodjob:

Tuan
11-21-2008, 06:41 PM
thanks!

Deke
11-22-2008, 02:21 AM
Dont forget The Departed too... I think that movie even won an Academy Award

True, but on most accounts that I've heard, The Departed was definitely better than Infernal Affairs (which seems to be a rarity with remakes).

TheProfiteer
11-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Old Boy was an excellent movie, and even if it does get remade into another sterilized crap version Spielberg/smith debacle, I am not going to set one foot into a theater, or even bother pirating the piece.

ironchef
11-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Am I the only one who didn't think Oldboy was good? I thought it was just fucked up lol.

TheProfiteer
11-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Am I the only one who didn't think Oldboy was good? I thought it was just fucked up lol.

*SPOILERS*

It was a fucked up movie, and it was a total mind fuck,

I mean come on, dude fucks his own daughter, after being locked up for 15 years.

Ran
11-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Am I the only one who didn't think Oldboy was good? I thought it was just fucked up lol.That's what makes it great! With this in mind, I think I'll pick up American Psycho on the way home today.

ironchef
11-24-2008, 11:58 AM
I didn't get the appeal of American Psycho either.

Ran
11-24-2008, 12:14 PM
I didn't get the appeal of American Psycho either.Really? Man, you're too normal for your own good.

...and you must be eliminated. :ninja:

d1esel12
11-24-2008, 11:23 PM
don't forget about My Sassy Girl.. SUCH a great movie, cried 2 times watching it

seriousb13
11-25-2008, 01:32 AM
don't forget about My Sassy Girl.. SUCH a great movie, cried 2 times watching it

:gay:

oldboy is a fucked up movie. good luck will smith. i wonder who is going to play the daughter.

phatzboyal
11-25-2008, 01:53 AM

are you talking bout the korean or american one? if you talking bout the american one, was it any good?