PDA

View Full Version : Honda D15 head gasket replacement

BKiller
11-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Alright, so I somehow got suckered into replacing the headgasket on a 93 Civic for a girl I know. What is the fastest way to get the timing belt off the cam pulley? The directions show to remove all the other accessory belts and stuff first then release a tensioner. Could you not just remove the rocker arm assembly then tilt the cam up from the distributor side to release the tension on the belt/pulley?
How do you guys like to do this?
The belt isn't being replaced as it only has a couple thousand miles on it.

Barefoot
11-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Could you not just remove the rocker arm assembly then tilt the cam up from the distributor side to release the tension on the belt/pulley?
thats how i do it when im not replacing water pump belt or seals.

Schugg
11-20-2008, 11:12 PM
i thought you could loosen the tension without removing all that? from what i remember there is a little piece that pops out of the timing cover and you can get to the bolt. i may be thinking of something else, but its sounds a lot easier than taking the rocker arm assembly off and tilt it, then struggling to get the belt back on. may be easier the other way, but i never tried though.

Barefoot
11-20-2008, 11:17 PM
i thought you could loosen the tension without removing all that? from what i remember there is a little piece that pops out of the timing cover and you can get to the bolt. i may be thinking of something else, but its sounds a lot easier than taking the rocker arm assembly off and tilt it, then struggling to get the belt back on. may be easier the other way, but i never tried though.its a pain to get to the adj. bolt. i hate dealing with it until i have to when everything is going back on.

Tech5
11-20-2008, 11:28 PM
loosen the adjuster and slide the belt off, I have done this many many times , just take the timing belt an wingle it off with out loosen the adjuster an then wingle it back when your done...I just did a head job on a integra no seals,w/p nor timing belt just head an I did the same thing wingle the belt side to side an it will slide off, getting back on a DOHC motor is alittle tricky but I done it soooo many times I am used to it.. Best of luck Joshua

BKiller
11-21-2008, 08:40 AM
Thanks guys. I will give it a try.