PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Personal Style vs. Taste vs. Trends

JITB
11-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Personal Style with your own vehicle is one thing and all great..But i think its getting a little out of control in some cases. Its almost like its a trend to be different........but they all end up lookin the same.. :thinking:
Whatever happen to coordination, themes, matching colors, class... :(

amped4life33
11-19-2008, 11:00 PM
im gonna get jumped on for saying this but...

those things take money, the caliber person you are referring to usually doesnt have much of it...

do the math.

Terror
11-19-2008, 11:07 PM
OP I agree with you in a sense. They are all different styles in their own right. It sometimes is nice to be a little abstract, but Its important to keep class in mind as well. And yeah I do think that money plays a factor, some people dont care what happens as long as its rediculous it should be classified as different. Stupid IMO

Barefoot
11-19-2008, 11:45 PM

those things take money, the caliber person you are referring to usually doesnt have much of it...

do the math.i agree

Atlblkz06
11-20-2008, 01:17 PM
The letters J D M come to mind lol...

JITB
11-20-2008, 02:32 PM

do the math.

naw not really, i know people with real nice cars.. that didnt spend as much as you would think. And they have some quality stuff. All expensive stuff isnt always the best..

Thighs
11-20-2008, 02:43 PM
i see what youre saying, but honestly idc. if other people wanna make their car a look alike or stand out so much it hurts, let em. its their car and their money, as far as im concerned everything has been done before anyways, from both ends of the spectrum.

primespark22
11-20-2008, 04:03 PM
I think alot has to do with trend i bet a good handfull of people on IA like bodykits they just dont rock cuz its ricer or non jdm,but it was a trend at one point.Alot of people just go with the flow and not do what they really want to:2cents:

speedminded
11-20-2008, 04:08 PM
The emo girl dyes her hair pink to be different...yet it makes her look like every other girl with pink hair. Funny how that works.

87 Turbo II
11-20-2008, 05:36 PM
I just do what I want and what my budget allows. I never say to myself "omg the guys on I.A. will like this, I should rock it." I just always had a thing for meshie wheels, so I got some. I love rotary engines due to my old 7, so I bought the 7 before I even noticed old school was becoming the thing because I could only afford a first gen. I can't afford the body kits for my car, nor the wheels that would fill it out(the kits they make for the 7s are usually widebody racing kits, or at least the only ones I would consider are such), so that's out of question. I rock a sexypants sticker cause I think it's funny, weather or not others like it. All I care about really is the performance, the wheels were so I could rock 215s instead of 185 tires, but they're probably the one thing I did to my 7 for purely style, besides repaint a few pieces of black trim.

speedminded
11-20-2008, 05:48 PM
It doesn't matter the car, conservative mods or stock, as long as it's kept clean. I saw an Acura RL today that looked exactly how it did on the showroom floor in 1996/97. I will bet it was cleaner than 9/10 cars less than a year old on the road. 100% flawless down to the original chrome wheels.

Stock will never go out of style. Hopefully the shot I got of it came out but I was on the wrong side with the bright sun, shadows, etc...

Thighs
11-20-2008, 05:51 PM
^^ this is true. it really only takes a little change to make a nice stock car look sexy. a small drop and MAYBE new wheels will completely change the look of a car.

MINI
11-20-2008, 05:55 PM
I love body kits, wings, neons, and all that crap. Alot of JDM stuff is clean too.

Just whatever appeals to me is whatever I get...

Or what money allows at the moment. :D

Let them dress their car as they please. :goodjob:

speedminded
11-20-2008, 06:00 PM
^^ this is true. it really only takes a little change to make a nice stock car look sexy. a small drop and MAYBE new wheels will completely change the look of a car.Most cars are built to drive on public roads with a conservative ride height, softer springs requiring a larger wheel gap, etc.

I despise the stance of a stock NSX. Without a drop and wider wheels it looks absolutely ridiculous...

http://www.edmunds.com/media/reviews/top10/04.cars.best.residual/04.acura.nsx.500.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/09/Honda_NSX_red.jpg/800px-Honda_NSX_red.jpg

Any car can improve its looks with an upgraded suspension, is that a fad, style, or just a personal preference?

amped4life33
11-20-2008, 09:24 PM
naw not really, i know people with real nice cars.. that didnt spend as much as you would think. And they have some quality stuff. All expensive stuff isnt always the best..

and i know people who have $50,000 ricers. I just meant to say, generally, the kind of people associated with cars that arnt very clean(to put it lightly) are the kind of people who, eh...don't really have that sort of demand...if you kind of catch where im going with this...

man, im trying really hard not to be an asshole or offend anyone, but if you stand back and think about what im sayin, you'll understand what i mean..i mean just think about all the shitty cars you see, and associate them with the kind of people who drive them, and you'll see what i mean, for the most part, obviously not in every case, but usually...

JITB
11-20-2008, 09:33 PM
and i know people who have $50,000 ricers. I just meant to say, generally, the kind of people associated with cars that arnt very clean(to put it lightly) are the kind of people who, eh...don't really have that sort of demand...if you kind of catch where im going with this...

man, im trying really hard not to be an asshole or offend anyone, but if you stand back and think about what im sayin, you'll understand what i mean..i mean just think about all the shitty cars you see, and associate them with the kind of people who drive them, and you'll see what i mean, for the most part, obviously not in every case, but usually...

ricers is an opinion, whether soemone spends 10k on a body kit/paint/lambos/ big wheels/crazy paint etc.. is all quality work. If soemone spends 10k on a turbo kit/motor/jdm wheels/ crazy expensive performance parts, is irrelevant. Thats all up to the owner... it dont take money to do your own thing, you will have people who dont like it either way. I just get tired of seeing people do things for approval.......especially when you can tell.

Nitro
11-20-2008, 09:34 PM

i can relate to that bro :cheers:

amped4life33
11-20-2008, 09:41 PM
ricers is an opinion, whether soemone spends 10k on a body kit/paint/lambos/ big wheels/crazy paint etc.. is all quality work. If soemone spends 10k on a turbo kit/motor/jdm wheels/ crazy expensive performance parts, is irrelevant. Thats all up to the owner... it dont take money to do your own thing, you will have people who dont like it either way. I just get tired of seeing people do things for approval.......especially when you can tell.

the worst is when someone does something to their car, and they show it to someone else, and the people dont like it, so they take it off and do something different...a lot of people think my car is ugly, but i love it and i woudlnt change it for anyone...

LIKEG6
11-20-2008, 09:46 PM
the worst is when someone does something to their car, and they show it to someone else, and the people dont like it, so they take it off and do something different...a lot of people think my car is ugly, but i love it and i woudlnt change it for anyone...

100% agree and it's hilarious

JITB
11-20-2008, 09:50 PM

and it happens alot on IA...

amped4life33
11-20-2008, 09:53 PM

dude...im just gonna start telling people their car looks bad, even if it doesn't, just so see if they are "that guy" that changes it cause someone doesnt like it...haha

SLOWLYbtngU
11-23-2008, 01:49 PM

OMG!!! I hate that!!! This is my thing. I do things to my car that make me smile. Simple as that. I love when people come up to me and they're expecting me to have some great story about having JDM inspiration, but I dont. I just thought it would be funny to have pink wheels. Now EVERYONE wants/paints/buys pink wheels... It's whatever to me. People hate all the stickers on my car... I like them. The more the merrier in my eyes. I have sooo many dents and scrapes on my car, and my car stays dirty... But it's my baby.

I think it's funny how many pm's I get sayin that I inspire them to be different. People dont seem to understand that in order to be different you gotta stand out. We all fit in a certain group now so we arent different, we're just rare. I say do what you want without searching for other's approval. Once you allow others to influence you you start to realize that your car looks just like everyone else's and nothing like what you wanted.

cactusEG
11-23-2008, 02:14 PM
The letters J D M come to mind lol...

Not at all...

Dirty Octopus™
11-23-2008, 02:50 PM
:ninja:

im broke as they come! :o

EJ25RUN
11-23-2008, 02:59 PM
Not at all...

I'd have to agree with Atlblkz06 because right after JDM became popular, it began being misudes and misinterpreted. It got to the point where the rice fairy of a car show had JDM written on it. At the end of the day, to make a car "JDM", you actually have to modify it with components that fall under JDM.

You don't go to an Italian resturant, get some pasta, and then call it Chinese food just cause.

The worst for it imo was when people started calling Rota wheels and other knock off China crap JDM. That is when JDM officially got lost and all the crap that passes for JDM now is still circulating and getting older by the day.

b13isme
11-23-2008, 07:17 PM
:2up:

slow_hatch
11-24-2008, 04:14 PM
:ninja:

im broke as they come! :o

You started the latest IA trend in my eyes, The Mural Hood. Once you did yours, I've since seen at least 2 cars at each meet with one. No offense to you DO, but it looks kinda :gay: in most all cases.

DVSRX-7
11-24-2008, 10:44 PM
i do what i want to my car cause i like to try different things, not really caring what people have to say about it, i rock my shit to the fullest.. if people dont like what i have done to my car or ideas i might have for my car, that wont stop me from doing it, it'll just make me want to do it even more... if you like to be different then go ahead dont let anyone judge your style.. if you like what you are doing to your own ride do it who gives a fuck what peoples opinions are, only your opinion counts when its your car.. im not a person to judge anyone's car because im not a judge.. but i will give u my opinion if something seems weird or obstruct... but my opinion shouldnt stop you from doing what your doing..