PDA

View Full Version : General Chat haha got this 1979 Pontiac muscle car!!!

gerardojdm
11-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Just got this Black T-top 1979 Pontiac Trans Am from a uncle that didnt want it cause he's always busy checking on his business. The car is currently in Mexico but i plan on going to pick it up this December. Last time i saw the the was back in Dec. 2004. My brother went this past December and took some shots of it.

It look pretty dirty but i was surprised that it has no rust or dents what so ever. The car has been sitting for about 10+ yrs in a garage as yall will see. I plan to completely restore everythingand rebuilt the 6.6L 403cid. At the end i should expect it to look something like the picture below.

Scotsman
11-19-2008, 06:55 PM
nice , good luck with the project , keep us updated

gerardojdm
11-19-2008, 07:57 PM
thanx man i will

EJ25RUN
11-19-2008, 07:59 PM
mmm I find it hard to call anything past 72 a Muscle Car. Even the 1974 455 Trans Am was pushing it.

But im just being picky. Good luck with build.

EP3sAreFun
11-19-2008, 08:00 PM
very cool man, good luck

Atlblkz06
11-20-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm going to be a "redneck" for Halloween 2011. Can I borrow your car for a day? lol

alpine_aw11
11-20-2008, 02:02 PM
YES! That is the ultimate mullet machine. I love those things for some reason, gl with it man.

Glides
11-20-2008, 02:20 PM
mmm I find it hard to call anything past 72 a Muscle Car. Even the 1974 455 Trans Am was pushing it.

But im just being picky. Good luck with build.

I dunno man. I have to disagree with you on that. Nothing spells saggy tit shots, catcalls from drunken women folk with large bellys and tattoos that are X'd out 3 times for their Ex's like a Trans Am from the late 70's. That is pure muscle, 100%. Trans Am's are timeless. That body style is always considered Muscle for one reason. Smokey and the Bandit.

Stormhammer
11-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Nice!

Last picture is the bandit restoration Year One does. So you'll have to order certain things from them ( like the rims are larger )

WalkS
11-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Looks like it's in decent condition. I don't see any visible rust. Good Luck with it. The value of the second gen's are going up.

EJ25RUN
11-20-2008, 07:56 PM
I dunno man. I have to disagree with you on that. Nothing spells saggy tit shots, catcalls from drunken women folk with large bellys and tattoos that are X'd out 3 times for their Ex's like a Trans Am from the late 70's. That is pure muscle, 100%. Trans Am's are timeless. That body style is always considered Muscle for one reason. Smokey and the Bandit.

Yeah but none of the things you listed spell out muscle car. The HP left in 72 and everything after that was a joke. I believe the insanity that was the GNX is the only car between 72 and the 90's that can be considered a muscle car.

Remember Muscle car meant respect from power. Not married cousins.

VooDooXII
11-21-2008, 05:32 AM
Awesome...I really like Trans Ams, particularly the early 70s models, but this is a nice one all the same. Good luck with it!

Glides
11-21-2008, 06:31 AM
Remember Muscle car meant respect from power. Not married cousins.

Lol. I hear ya but i'm not h e a r i n g you. :D

Of course power left the muscle cars after 72. Now, is that car in the Golden Era of Muscle cars? No. But for it's time, it was a Muscle car. Think of it in boxing terms. It's not a heavyweight on power, more like a Middleweight....but in the Married Cousins department....it is a Super Heavyweight baby.

So it's all in terms of relative.

_Christian_
11-21-2008, 06:49 AM
Nice!

Last picture is the bandit restoration Year One does. So you'll have to order certain things from them ( like the rims are larger )
Different front also, Year One is a 77-78. I honestly wouldn't restore one of these. For a little bit more, you could restore a car that might be worth something once you're done. I've always liked these cars though, good luck with the resto:goodjob:

04CoorsCan
11-21-2008, 07:19 AM
Looks pretty clean. The cars Year One is building are very expensive, lots of little body mods, fiberglass vs plastic bumpers, different interior upgrades, and flush mounted rear window (which they say is available to customers but it really isn't!!) . Be careful if you order those same wheels, triple check your order....you'd be surprised how many people drop almost 3k for a full set of wheels and they are ordered wrong!!! Good luck and congrats on your new toy!

speedminded
11-21-2008, 08:35 AM
The car has no rust because it's in Mexico, assuming relatively north near the border?

Lol. I hear ya but i'm not h e a r i n g you. :D

Of course power left the muscle cars after 72. Now, is that car in the Golden Era of Muscle cars? No. But for it's time, it was a Muscle car. Think of it in boxing terms. It's not a heavyweight on power, more like a Middleweight....but in the Married Cousins department....it is a Super Heavyweight baby.

So it's all in terms of relative.This car was built at the peak of the energy crisis with oil being equivalent to $100 a barrel back then just as it was a month or two ago.

So compared to most of the other "economy" cars on the road at that time this was a muscle car :tongue:

jwrape
11-21-2008, 08:41 AM
Awww my first 3 cars were Firebirds. 77, 79 and then a 78. Had 82 T/A as well. Love those old birds. My Dad had a 78' Bandit edition with only the bird on the hood, no pin stripes.

EJ25RUN
11-21-2008, 01:19 PM

I disagree. It became popular because of that film but lacked the power to be called Muscle.

A good comparo is Australia. They're muscle era end later than ours. The Ford Falcon XB GT with the 351 Cleveland of 75 is a good example. I understand the Firebird looked like a muscle car but that was never the most important element. A 4dr car could have been a muscle car as well.

I found this pic and felt i had to share. :I WANT:

http://krang.hotrod.com/wallpapers/hrdp_0704_1973_xb_ford_falcon_1024x768.jpg

Donati03gt
11-21-2008, 01:35 PM
nice man makes me want my 1970 camaro back