PDA

View Full Version : Definition of "Photo Shoot"

speedminded
11-19-2008, 07:48 AM
The term "photo shoot" only applies to commercial photography. Generally models displaying clothes in the fashion industry or products being shot for print advertisement in newspapers, magazines, signage, etc.

Scenario One
Joe Blow in a parking lot with a car and his new DSLR machine gunning shots is not a photo shoot.

Scenario Two
Joe Blow Sr. who met with a director of marketing or an editor, etc. and was given an assignment or shooting list is. There is normally an agenda and requirements involved and generally everything is story-boarded out before even getting to the location, be it a studio or in the field. [We won't get into the legality issues and permissions involved of shooting commercially on both private and public property.]

After the photography session the photos are then sent back to said companies marketing department where they are forwarded to their illustrator(s) or graphic designer(s) to be edited then the final product will go back to the editors for review before being released to the publisher for print.

That is a photo shoot :goodjob:

Jaimecbr900
11-19-2008, 07:51 AM
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Tell us what you REALLY think there Jason.....:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

BTW......Santa came early for me this year......;)

speedminded
11-19-2008, 07:54 AM

Tell us what you REALLY think there Jason.....:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

BTW......Santa came early for me this year......;) :ninja: Do I even want to know?! Is it going to make me :cry: ?

blacknightteg
11-19-2008, 07:54 AM
no offense. but why the hell does it matter. i know its basically what you do for a living, but if they want to call it a photoshoot, let em. i know its stupid, but hell. lol.

Jaimecbr900
11-19-2008, 08:05 AM
:ninja: Do I even want to know?! Is it going to make me :cry: ?

;) :D

*hint*......ds......*end/hint*:D

Sammich
11-19-2008, 08:12 AM
check my photoshoot of my maxima :ninja:

but for really jamie and speedminded...chk muh shiznit..:D

speedminded
11-19-2008, 08:12 AM
no offense. but why the hell does it matter. i know its basically what you do for a living, but if they want to call it a photoshoot, let em. i know its stupid, but hell. lol.If you don't put your foot down then where does it stop? Misused terms are diluting the industry just as much as sub $800 DSLR's owners doing work for free. It also gives an amateur photographer something to work for, one day actually be able to do a photo shoot and not just getting a camera for their birthday and going out and calling everything they do a photo shoot. Set the bar high and work towards it.

Jaimecbr900
11-19-2008, 08:15 AM
check my photoshoot of my maxima :ninja:

but for really jamie and speedminded...chk muh shiznit..:D

I don't do critiques......but just be mindful of your background......;) :goodjob:

Ed
11-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Tell em jason

Sammich
11-19-2008, 08:18 AM
lol no no critiqing(sp?) just check what i did to it :D

PS my background involves a trash can and a portapotty bwahahahahahahaha

blacknightteg
11-19-2008, 08:18 AM
If you don't put your foot down then where does it stop? Misused terms are diluting the industry just as much as sub $800 DSLR's owners doing work for free. It also gives an amateur photographer something to work for, one day actually be able to do a photo shoot and not just getting a camera for their birthday and going out and calling everything they do a photo shoot. Set the bar high and work towards it.

i can understand that, but i mean you gotta see it from other peoples perspective.

EJ25RUN
11-19-2008, 08:20 AM
I think phootshoot is simple taking photos.

A Professional photoshoot would require hiring a pro to do the same.

Jaimecbr900
11-19-2008, 08:24 AM
no offense. but why the hell does it matter. i know its basically what you do for a living, but if they want to call it a photoshoot, let em. i know its stupid, but hell. lol.

It matters to more people than you think. Trust me.

Look at it this way:

YOU own a car dealership. YOU are very straight up and good with your customers. YOU work hard and spend lots of money to maintain that reputation. Your neighbor throws up a rickety sign and buys a bunch of rust buckets and calls himself a car dealer. He tries to steal the nails off the cross with everybody that walks in. HE gives your hard effort a bad name. Now.....do you think you'd like that? ;)

speedminded
11-19-2008, 08:25 AM
I don't do critiques......but just be mindful of your background......;) :goodjob:I'm pretty much the same way, unless i'm asked specific questions I generally won't critique. It depends on how the photographer presents themselves and their work too.

Jaimecbr900
11-19-2008, 08:26 AM
lol no no critiqing(sp?) just check what i did to it :D

PS my background involves a trash can and a portapotty bwahahahahahahaha

Hence my post......;) :goodjob:

Glad you dropped the max too. :goodjob:

Sammich
11-19-2008, 08:27 AM
but a photoshoot is when you are shooting photos....

*runs*

seriously, i see what the hype is about in calling every pic that u do a photoshoot and the aggravation about it is. i really dont see why people call all pics a photoshoot, its stupid. i mean, its like u say, just cuz u have a $800 camera doesnt make u a photographer. i just want to learn to take good pics myself, and i have a nice cheap camera that does the job and will get me what i want for now. i cant see spending that much for a camera anyway

blacknightteg
11-19-2008, 08:27 AM

Look at it this way:

YOU own a car dealership. YOU are very straight up and good with your customers. YOU work hard and spend lots of money to maintain that reputation. Your neighbor throws up a rickety sign and buys a bunch of rust buckets and calls himself a car dealer. He tries to steal the nails off the cross with everybody that walks in. HE gives your hard effort a bad name. Now.....do you think you'd like that? ;)

i wouldnt hate it cuz honestly i probably would have started exactly where he was back in the day. i look at things in different way then a lot of people. everyone has to start somewhere, and if they use a word, who cares. its not that big of a deal to me honestly, a photoshoot is a photoshoot. one just involves more of a professional appeal then the other.

speedminded
11-19-2008, 08:39 AM

Look at it this way:

YOU own a car dealership. YOU are very straight up and good with your customers. YOU work hard and spend lots of money to maintain that reputation. Your neighbor throws up a rickety sign and buys a bunch of rust buckets and calls himself a car dealer. He tries to steal the nails off the cross with everybody that walks in. HE gives your hard effort a bad name. Now.....do you think you'd like that? ;)Don't forget the guy next door then forces you to lower your prices. Competition is one thing but doing so while not withholding a quality standard is another. Mediocre work that "will do" verses quality for just a little more. With the way the economy and with cuts in advertising budgets which one do you think will win?

A.P. Photography
11-19-2008, 08:55 AM

*hint*......ds......*end/hint*:D
Nice! MK2 or MK3?

Don't forget the guy next door then forces you to lower your prices. Competition is one thing but doing so while not withholding a quality standard is another. Mediocre work that "will do" verses quality for just a little more. With the way the economy and with cuts in advertising budgets which one do you think will win?

Hit the nail on the head. :goodjob:

speedminded
11-19-2008, 09:01 AM

*hint*......ds......*end/hint*:DDiamondshwartz? haha

Jaimecbr900
11-19-2008, 09:19 AM
i wouldnt hate it cuz honestly i probably would have started exactly where he was back in the day. i look at things in different way then a lot of people. everyone has to start somewhere, and if they use a word, who cares. its not that big of a deal to me honestly, a photoshoot is a photoshoot. one just involves more of a professional appeal then the other.

You would if you ACTUALLY did it. Its easy to say that you wouldn't care when you have nothing invested, hence nothing to lose. Much like people that are sooooo against guns.....UNTIL THEY get robbed......tune changes when reality hits.

A watered down drink is NEVER going to taste as good as one that is done right. Both called "drinks", but which one is a true drink??? ;)

CHADbee
11-19-2008, 09:20 AM
ok question, when i "took pictures" for the GA G35/350Z club we went to 3 different locations, i charged per car, and locations/price/time/date were all set 2 weeks in advance. people were told you will get "this" for "that" amount of money.

i called that a photoshoot, just out of curiosity do you agree with me on that one?

Jaimecbr900
11-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Nice! MK2 or MK3?

Couldn't swing the MK3, wish I could've afforded that one since it's the one I really wanted, but I got the MK2. I'm still trying to figure it out. It's crazy complicated at first, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon enough. I'm also thinking about picking up the 24-105 L, although I like the 17-40 L too. :goodjob:

A.P. Photography
11-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Couldn't swing the MK3, wish I could've afforded that one since it's the one I really wanted, but I got the MK2. I'm still trying to figure it out. It's crazy complicated at first, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon enough. I'm also thinking about picking up the 24-105 L, although I like the 17-40 L too. :goodjob:

Yeah it is a bit of a learning curve but you will get it. The 24-105 is a great walk around and general lens. I have thought about picking that lens up but not sure as I wouldn't mind getting the 100-400L a lil more. The 17-40L is nice but a lilttle short for most shooting enviroments, I rarley use my 16-35L.

A.P. Photography
11-19-2008, 09:52 AM
ok question, when i "took pictures" for the GA G35/350Z club we went to 3 different locations, i charged per car, and locations/price/time/date were all set 2 weeks in advance. people were told you will get "this" for "that" amount of money.

i called that a photoshoot, just out of curiosity do you agree with me on that one?

In this case I would agree to an extent. You set up parameters, executed shots for a client, and were paid. This in its rawest form is a photoshoot. This topic mainly covers those with cameras that take photos and call them photoshoots when they are just snap shots. Pulling into a parking lot or field and snapping photos is not a photoshoot.

speedminded
11-19-2008, 09:53 AM

i called that a photoshoot, just out of curiosity do you agree with me on that one?Yes and no.

It's a grey area. Is it technically a professional job, yes...yes because you got paid. If it's for people to have photos of their own car for personal use then technically it wouldn't be. If the photos are being used to market and advertise the club and get people to join then it could be considered a photo shoot.

Shooting a group of cars in a shop to put on the shops website, brochure, or business cards is a photo shoot. It's a commercial session being done to market a business or advertise a product. It is for commercial advertising purposes.

But if that is the case then a real estate agent taking photos of a house with his/her cellphone to put in the paper or real estate guide is a photo shoot as well, lol.

...or even me taking photos for car dealerships to put on their website, autotrader, craigslist, etc. I got paid to market the sale of an item for a business yet I would still never call it photo shoot. :crazy:

CHADbee
11-19-2008, 10:09 AM
thanks guys on the opinions. i just wanted to know what others thought about the subject. now what about this....

http://www.ob-photo.com/2008/09/automotive-photography/photoshoot-daytona-blue-nissan-350z-owner-tyler-klee/#more-415

say that 350Z^ is his best friends car. on a boring sunday afternoon they decide to go take some pictures of the Z, its not planned, payed for and not used to promote the 350Z. its just cause dude wanted nice pictures of his 350Z, if that a photo shoot?

speedminded
11-19-2008, 10:11 AM
As for the modeling and fashion industry it's basically the same way. A model gets photos taken for either advertising the clothes they have on or marketing themselves.

Is a women getting glamour shots done for her spouse a photo shoot? Not really.

Is a women having her photo taken to put on a comp card or portfolio to present to an agency? Yes. She is marketing herself.

My idea is if a model release is involved them technically it is a photo shoot. Matt probably has a lot more to add to this then I do!

A.P. Photography
11-19-2008, 10:16 AM
thanks guys on the opinions. i just wanted to know what others thought about the subject. now what about this....

http://www.ob-photo.com/2008/09/automotive-photography/photoshoot-daytona-blue-nissan-350z-owner-tyler-klee/#more-415

say that 350Z^ is his best friends car. on a boring sunday afternoon they decide to go take some pictures of the Z, its not planned, payed for and not used to promote the 350Z. its just cause dude wanted nice pictures of his 350Z, if that a photo shoot?

In that scenario then no.

Jaimecbr900
11-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Yeah it is a bit of a learning curve but you will get it. The 24-105 is a great walk around and general lens. I have thought about picking that lens up but not sure as I wouldn't mind getting the 100-400L a lil more. The 17-40L is nice but a lilttle short for most shooting enviroments, I rarley use my 16-35L.

Yeah, the hardest part is re-arranging the buttons to where I can remember where all the stuff is.....:lmfao: It has a lot of features, but it's all user programmable too. I just have to sit down with it and put it where I want it and then I'll get comfy with it. It's definetly different.

I'm getting a smoking deal on the 24-105, which is why I'm leaning towards it too. :goodjob:

CHADbee
11-19-2008, 10:30 AM
In that scenario then no.
ok but if the scenario was it was payed, planned and he was using the photos to promote the car as in he was selling it or the photos were used in advertising for a stoptech brakes ad in a magazine the answer would be yes.

or if it was payed, planned but still for nothing but personal use it would still not be a photo shoot.

basically no matter the skill or the quality of the photos if they are not used to promote something its not a photo shoot.

ive never really thought about it myself, i always called something a photo shoot if i was getting payed for what i was doing no matter what the intended use of the photos were.

speedminded
11-19-2008, 10:31 AM

say that 350Z^ is his best friends car. on a boring sunday afternoon they decide to go take some pictures of the Z, its not planned, payed for and not used to promote the 350Z. its just cause dude wanted nice pictures of his 350Z, if that a photo shoot?If Nismo originally requested the photos be done and payed for them to advertise their products then yes. If a car magazine payed the photographer to take the photos then yes.

Now if Modified Magazine saw the photos on the photographers website and wanted to purchase them for their magazine would that make it a photo shoot?? Technically yes but any reputable magazine wouldn't do that because they normally only want original work that hasn't been seen by the public yet.

CHADbee
11-19-2008, 10:54 AM
If Nismo originally requested the photos be done and payed for them to advertise their products then yes. If a car magazine payed the photographer to take the photos then yes.

Now if Modified Magazine saw the photos on the photographers website and wanted to purchase them for their magazine would that make it a photo shoot?? Technically yes but any reputable magazine wouldn't do that because they normally only want original work that hasn't been seen by the public yet.
ok what about this LOL the photographer has the pictures of the Z on his website to promote his photography business....

i know im getting a little :screwy: here but humor me please. while the car itself isnt promoting anything, the photos of the car are being used to promote the photographers work correct? theres just such a fine line here :lmao:

another example, this....

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3137/3043971868_c510a3febd_o.jpg

is not being used by the parents to try to get their little girl a modeling job, but i use it for my crappy little portfolio to promote myself as a "photographer" to people that want quality pictures of their children. when i took pictures of her i knew i was going to use those pictures in my portfolio, still not a photoshoot?

A.P. Photography
11-19-2008, 11:39 AM
ok what about this LOL the photographer has the pictures of the Z on his website to promote his photography business....

i know im getting a little :screwy: here but humor me please. while the car itself isnt promoting anything, the photos of the car are being used to promote the photographers work correct? theres just such a fine line here :lmao:

another example, this....

is not being used by the parents to try to get their little girl a modeling job, but i use it for my crappy little portfolio to promote myself as a "photographer" to people that want quality pictures of their children. when i took pictures of her i knew i was going to use those pictures in my portfolio, still not a photoshoot?

Ok here is the basis for how I see it. I rarely ever consider car photography a photoshoot unless you are getting paid by a client (i.e. magazine or shop). As for people photography, if you are doing a shoot to obtain images of a model (paid or TF*) for promotion (print/web/port) or are hired by a client to do the shots, then I consider that a photoshoot. Pulling out a camera and taking pics of your boyfriend/girlfriend on your porch is not a photoshoot. Parking a car in a field or parking lot and snapping some pics is not a photoshoot.

A.P. Photography
11-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Yeah, the hardest part is re-arranging the buttons to where I can remember where all the stuff is.....:lmfao: It has a lot of features, but it's all user programmable too. I just have to sit down with it and put it where I want it and then I'll get comfy with it. It's definetly different.

I'm getting a smoking deal on the 24-105, which is why I'm leaning towards it too. :goodjob:

That is just old age setting in. Just draw you up a cheat sheet to carry with you. :lmfao:

Get it, I have heard great things about that lens. :goodjob:

Jaimecbr900
11-19-2008, 12:32 PM
That is just old age setting in. Just draw you up a cheat sheet to carry with you. :lmfao:

Get it, I have heard great things about that lens. :goodjob:

You're right actually...:lmfao: I was playing with it and started hitting buttons.....I got so lost that I couldn't get the camera to even take a pic.....:screwy: I looked like a monkey trying to beat a square peg in a round hole......:lmfao:

I think I am going to pick up that 24-105L. :goodjob: I just wish it had an inverted barrel design like the 24-70 though. It's so much nicer looking when you don't have the barrel sticking out. Oh well....if it shoots like other L's, then it's worth it.

Jaimecbr900
11-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Chad....you part Lawyer or what??? :lmfao: JP.

I think Jason made this thread in response to sooooo many people calling everything a "photo shoot" even if they just pulled out their cell phone to take the pics of a car in a shopping center parking lot. :goodjob:

blacknightteg
11-19-2008, 12:43 PM
You would if you ACTUALLY did it. Its easy to say that you wouldn't care when you have nothing invested, hence nothing to lose. Much like people that are sooooo against guns.....UNTIL THEY get robbed......tune changes when reality hits.

A watered down drink is NEVER going to taste as good as one that is done right. Both called "drinks", but which one is a true drink??? ;)

but thats competition. everyone deals with that. shit thats the nature of the beast. if your going to bitch about someone comming next door to you giving you competition, you shouldnt have gotten into the business to begin with.

CHADbee
11-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Chad....you part Lawyer or what??? :lmfao: JP.

I think Jason made this thread in response to sooooo many people calling everything a "photo shoot" even if they just pulled out their cell phone to take the pics of a car in a shopping center parking lot. :goodjob:
shit i wish, if i was id have part that salary!

and i understand where he is coming from and it frustrates me as well, but i just wanted to get down to the exact definition of it. which is what he said it was, taking pictures of something used for promotion but i personally believe that can be stretched, i had planned on going out soon with my buddy that has a really nice s2000 and shooting his car in a very nice location for him to have some nice pictures of his car. ive planned this for a few weeks with him and scouted locations cause i plan to really step my game up with this shoot, take my time shooting and in post processing and really do it right. am i getting paid? no he is one of my best friends since childhood. will the images be used for an ad for cusco? nope. will the photos be proper? i hope. in my eyes the time and effort put into it and what the end result will look like(hopefully) makes it a photoshoot of a s2000. but its weird cause by definition, like speedminded said its not but will i call it a photoshoot? sure will LOL

again im not trying to debate or argue over it cause it pisses me off too when i see the word photoshoot and see light poles growing out of roof lines of cars, parking lot lines everywhere and shitty composition/lighting.

Jaimecbr900
11-19-2008, 01:13 PM
but thats competition. everyone deals with that. shit thats the nature of the beast. if your going to bitch about someone comming next door to you giving you competition, you shouldnt have gotten into the business to begin with.

No, that's NOT competition. It's false advertising. There's a big difference. Competition implies a level playing field. If someone uses false advertisement to get their product across, then they are NOT competing at all. They are making things up as they go along.

Jaimecbr900
11-19-2008, 01:14 PM
again im not trying to debate or argue over it cause it pisses me off too when i see the word photoshoot and see light poles growing out of roof lines of cars, parking lot lines everywhere and shitty composition/lighting.

I think that's exactly what Jason was eluding to. :goodjob:

quickdodge®
11-19-2008, 04:01 PM
In this case I would agree to an extent. You set up parameters, executed shots for a client, and were paid. This in its rawest form is a photoshoot. This topic mainly covers those with cameras that take photos and call them photoshoots when they are just snap shots. Pulling into a parking lot or field and snapping photos is not a photoshoot.

You hit the nail on the head where this topic is concerned.

Thanks, Jason for making this thread. Later, QD.

Tracy
11-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Dear Jason,

Can you do a write up on what makes a person a tuner? I am confused because I have a certificate that says I am a tuner, but I have never tuned a car. Does that make me a tuner?

Signed,
Anonymous GA Tuner

speedminded
11-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Dear Jason,

Can you do a write up on what makes a person a tuner? I am confused because I have a certificate that says I am a tuner, but I have never tuned a car. Does that make me a tuner?

Signed,
Anonymous GA TunerLOLOL! I was going to make an analogy using the word tuner earlier but knew it would open a whole new can of worms. If anything mentions "tuner scene" or "tuner cars" I don't even bother looking at it 99.9% of the time. Theoretically if the term was used correctly then those phrases would interest me the most, just like photo shoot would, yet they're always misrepresenting the subject.

And yeah, you're more of a Tuner than any chick I know! :boobies:

boostedb16
11-19-2008, 10:35 PM
i think "photoshoot" is used way to much too. kinda the same with going and buying a dslr and on every picture you take putting "joe blow photography". there's alot of good picture's posted on this forum but not everyone is a photographer. i have a d40 and love taking picture's of my car and other things to get better and always ask for some C/C but have never claimed a photoshoot or to be a photographer.

boostedb16
11-19-2008, 10:37 PM
oh yea, kinda the same with "JDM". just because you have a stock from the show room civic, that dont make it "JDM".

Tracy
11-20-2008, 11:24 AM
LOLOL! I was going to make an analogy using the word tuner earlier but knew it would open a whole new can of worms. If anything mentions "tuner scene" or "tuner cars" I don't even bother looking at it 99.9% of the time. Theoretically if the term was used correctly then those phrases would interest me the most, just like photo shoot would, yet they're always misrepresenting the subject.

And yeah, you're more of a Tuner than any chick I know! :boobies:

LOL. Thanks.

I meant more like as in A/F manipulation. It's true that I have a certificate for that....but I would never let me tune a car.

DrivenMind
11-20-2008, 01:29 PM
I get what your saying Jason, but I think photo shoot is a pretty general term. Since a photo is a recording of light, and a shoot is what's done when the camera is taking pictures. The difference is when you're shooting frames for fun, for leisure, or as a paid assignment.

And since I technically fall under the distinction of one of the people who's "diluting the industry" and since I also started shooting in parking garages, because I would get run out of lots of places, I guess that also makes me less of a photographer than the rest of you. Especially since I also can't afford a nicer camera.

But for what it's worth I've literally used my camera until it wouldn't shoot anymore. I've been shooting with my Rebel XT for almost four years now, and I've taken over five hundred thousand pictures with it. 500,000+ pictures on a camera that's supposed to have a shutter life of like 150,000-200,000. If my experience counts for nothing, and everyone else is a real photographer, because they have nicer shit, then so be it.

I've never gotten paid for any of my work, not because I didn't want to, but because I was young and enthusiastic about it, and mostly didn't know how to go about it. Plus I always thought experience was more important in the long run. So now despite the fact that I've been doing this for as long, if not longer than most of the people here, some how I magically find myself in the same category as the people who are "diluting the industry". Which I'm not going to lie, I feel a bit insulting.

This is an industry where an elitist attitude doesn't really mean shit, or serve any purpose at all, and where the quality of someones work is generally what speaks for itself. But it's all gravy, when I'm not broke, and not in college, I'll happily buy a shiny new high end camera so I can do real "photoshoots" and be a real "photographer." And I can assure you, that when that day comes, all of my industry diluting experience won't count for nothing.

However I do agree, that the term "photoshoot" is over used, especially when people are blatantly ignorant of the rules of composition and making awful exposures, but I don't think the laymen know of a better word for it.

vkash1208
11-23-2008, 07:26 PM
agreed with drivenmind.

i do a lot of freelance work now. although as any photographer knows, we all need to start somewhere, and the price you paid for your equipment doesn't mean crap as to how well of a photographer you are. my first SLR was a XTi, today i am on a 40D. the more money you spend on equipment doesn't make your pictures better, but it takes the person behind the camera, as a photographer i dont take any offense to folks calling it a photoshoot because if they are shooting photos then thats what it is, it doesn't matter if they rented a studio, or did it in some back ally in bankhead.

and besides how can YOU define what a photoshoot really is. sometimes you are in a studio, sometimes not.
sometimes you get paid, sometimes you dont
sometimes you have models, sometimes you have landscapes.

dude there are so many different types of shoots, dont discriminate against those who dont make a primary living off of photography.

get over it speedminded, don't be a little girl about it.

speedminded
11-23-2008, 07:58 PM
agreed with drivenmind.

i do a lot of freelance work now. although as any photographer knows, we all need to start somewhere, and the price you paid for your equipment doesn't mean crap as to how well of a photographer you are. my first SLR was a XTi, today i am on a 40D. the more money you spend on equipment doesn't make your pictures better, but it takes the person behind the camera, as a photographer i dont take any offense to folks calling it a photoshoot because if they are shooting photos then thats what it is, it doesn't matter if they rented a studio, or did it in some back ally in bankhead.

and besides how can YOU define what a photoshoot really is. sometimes you are in a studio, sometimes not.
sometimes you get paid, sometimes you dont
sometimes you have models, sometimes you have landscapes.

dude there are so many different types of shoots, dont discriminate against those who dont make a primary living off of photography.

get over it speedminded, don't be a little girl about it.The point is a the definition of "photo shoot" is pertaining to the fashion industry or commercial advertising, not someone going out and simply taking pictures. The definition can't be any more clear. I never once said anything about equipment required and I've NEVER once ever referred to anything I've done as photo shoot even though I have shot things and people for commercial use. I have more respect for people that actually do photo shoots to call something what it isn't.

Just as if I went to my garage and installed a cage in one of my cars and put slicks on it I still wouldn't call it a race car. It's not a race car until it's been inspected and used as such.

*edit*
I take that back, I referred to some promotional shots for sponsorships as a photo shoot in 2005 :tongue:

.blank cd
11-23-2008, 08:08 PM
agreed with drivenmind.

get over it speedminded, don't be a little girl about it.x384

A.P. Photography
11-23-2008, 08:46 PM
The point is a the definition of "photo shoot" is pertaining to the fashion industry or commercial advertising, not someone going out and simply taking pictures. The definition can't be any more clear.

Jason is correct. The term photo shoot refers to model or portraiture photography, not car photography. We can debate this till the end of time and always have different opinions. The barebones of it comes down to :

Model/Portraiture photography is called a photo shoot.

Cars/Landscape/Architecture is just taking pictures.

Jason, I think, was not discriminating against those who do not make a living in photography but rather those that go out and buy a camera and take photos of a car in a parking lot with light poles coming out of the roof and call it a photo shoot.

SenorJ
11-23-2008, 09:01 PM
this is stupid.
drivenmind is the most correct on here. i'm in the same boat... hardly ever charge for pictures, ive had my 20d for 5 years, probably close to 400,000 or so exposures. photoshoot is a very general term. people on here just need to look over what someone says. the internet really isn't serious business.

A.P. Photography
11-23-2008, 09:19 PM
LOL, like I said we can debate this till the end of time.

And Drivenmind is wrong on one point. The XT is only rated to 50k. And for those that are claiming to have half a million actuations, when was the last time you checked for sure.

vkash1208
11-23-2008, 10:08 PM
i have around 10,000 on my 40D since getting it last spring. curious if anyone knows what the life of my canon shutter is rated at??

speedminded
11-23-2008, 10:17 PM
i have around 10,000 on my 40D since getting it last spring. curious if anyone knows what the life of my canon shutter is rated at??Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi / 400D 50,000
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT / 350D 50,000
Canon EOS 50D 100,000
Canon EOS 40D 100,000
Canon EOS 30D 100,000
Canon EOS 20D 50,000
Canon EOS 5D 100,000
Canon EOS 1D Mark III 300,000
Canon EOS 1D Mark II N 200,000
Canon EOS 1DS Mark III 300,000
Canon EOS 1DS Mark II 200,000

CHADbee
11-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Jason is correct. The term photo shoot refers to model or portraiture photography, not car photography. We can debate this till the end of time and always have different opinions. The barebones of it comes down to :

Model/Portraiture photography is called a photo shoot.

Cars/Landscape/Architecture is just taking pictures.

with all respect to you and jason(most OG photographers in this thread) by the true meaning of a "photo shoot" it has nothing to do with what your subject is as long as that subject is being used to promote something. if i take pictures of an apartment complex and they are using those photos for their website to promote the apartments and get new tenants then that is a photo shoot. if i take pictures of an really hot 19 year old girl for her to give the photos to her boyfriend for christmas and never use the photos for a modeling portfolio that is not a photo shoot.

A.P. Photography
11-24-2008, 09:22 AM
It doesn't always have to be promoting something. There is a fine line on how the term should be used. I relegate using the term to my model shoots I do for magazines or portfolios. Everything else is just taking photos (even when I shot for Patron).

Like I said, this can be debated till the end of time and everyone will always defend their opinion and never have a resolution. Just google "Photo Shoot Definition" and the majority of the def. will describe fashion or portrait photography.

Tracy
11-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Let me ask this:
RB
SR
KA

:???: Which is better??? LOLOLOLOLOLOL! I love myself.

dictionary.com:
Main Entry: photo shoot
Part of Speech: n
Definition: such a session for commercial purposes, such as a fashion magazine

Jaimecbr900
11-24-2008, 04:45 PM
with all respect to you and jason(most OG photographers in this thread)

Thanks Chad.....preciate that buddy......:2up: :D

Let me ask this:
RB
SR
KA

:???: Which is better??? LOLOLOLOLOLOL! I love myself.

dictionary.com:
Main Entry: photo shoot
Part of Speech: n
Definition: such a session for commercial purposes, such as a fashion magazine
Who let the split tail out the cage again????.......:no: :D :lmfao:

changaroo
11-24-2008, 08:20 PM
I just think the main problem which caused the reason for this thread is that DSLR's are getting wayy too affordable these days. I mean lets face it, go back a few years... not everyone could drop that kind of money on a camera.

Having a DSLR is like a fad these days, half the people want to be "cool" and the other half just bought one cause theyre about a dime a dozen now. I mean take a look at the varsity meets, a few months ago I'd RARELY see anyone with a DSLR walking around but now... its hard to find someone with a P&S.

Any ding dong can buy some entry level DSLR (nothing wrong with that, i shoot with one too :P), and a 50mm 1.8 and crank out pictures that the average joe will gawk over for hours.

Hell I've seen photos from people toting around pro-sumer camera bodies and their photos flat out suck, and I'm not saying someone who just recently got the camera and doesnt really know how to use it. I'm saying theyve had the camera for an extensive amount a time, and are under the impression that their camera is going to produce great photos just because its a DSLR.

Recently I've really contemplated selling all my gear, and picking up a canon G9/G10 and do my "photoshoots" with that :)

CHADbee
11-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Thanks Chad.....preciate that buddy......:2up: :D

:doh:

you OG too son!

I just think the main problem which caused the reason for this thread is that DSLR's are getting wayy too affordable these days. I mean lets face it, go back a few years... not everyone could drop that kind of money on a camera.

Having a DSLR is like a fad these days, half the people want to be "cool" and the other half just bought one cause theyre about a dime a dozen now. I mean take a look at the varsity meets, a few months ago I'd RARELY see anyone with a DSLR walking around but now... its hard to find someone with a P&S.

Any ding dong can buy some entry level DSLR (nothing wrong with that, i shoot with one too :P), and a 50mm 1.8 and crank out pictures that the average joe will gawk over for hours.

Hell I've seen photos from people toting around pro-sumer camera bodies and their photos flat out suck, and I'm not saying someone who just recently got the camera and doesnt really know how to use it. I'm saying theyve had the camera for an extensive amount a time, and are under the impression that their camera is going to produce great photos just because its a DSLR.

Recently I've really contemplated selling all my gear, and picking up a canon G9/G10 and do my "photoshoots" with that :)
very true. i got my d50 for 400 bucks! im glad they are cheaper, if they werent i wouldnt be able to afford a SLR. some people might remember back in 06 i was into photography but could not afford a SLR, i had a canon powershot....

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/chadbee123/Copyofbirdhouse.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/chadbee123/lologh.jpg

i ended up selling it cause i needed money and just a year ago i got the the point i could afford a used SLR :bump:

some people saying to equipment being cheap dilutes things and puts out "bad" photographers but i look at it like people will get better or quit, so fuck it.

GAtegs
11-24-2008, 10:26 PM

Look at it this way:

Don't forget the guy next door then forces you to lower your prices. Competition is one thing but doing so while not withholding a quality standard is another. Mediocre work that "will do" verses quality for just a little more. With the way the economy and with cuts in advertising budgets which one do you think will win?

Just to play devil's advocate here for a second...say I am Joe Shmoe with my rusty cars down the street from your nice dealership. What about the people out there who don't really care about having a nice, pristine vehicle? What about the person that goes to your dealership, sees what you have for sale for $XXX and then sees what I have for 25% of that, and maybe thinks to themselves that, to the average person, it is perfectly fine and acceptable to have said rust bucket? It's called competition and it's something you need to accept. Whether you set out with a budget and story boards and model and full-frame camera's or I set out with my Xsi and 17-40L, it doesn't really matter...in the end, my pictures could be better than yours, and I could have done it for free, but yet you have the nerve to tell my I can't call what I just did a photoshoot? GTFO.

Jaimecbr900
11-24-2008, 11:09 PM
Just to play devil's advocate here for a second...say I am Joe Shmoe with my rusty cars down the street from your nice dealership. What about the people out there who don't really care about having a nice, pristine vehicle? What about the person that goes to your dealership, sees what you have for sale for $XXX and then sees what I have for 25% of that, and maybe thinks to themselves that, to the average person, it is perfectly fine and acceptable to have said rust bucket? It's called competition and it's something you need to accept.

1. Call it what it is then. Call yourself "lot full of rust buckets" and then it will be competition because you are competing on a level playing field w/o false advertising. If you have a lot full of Katrina flood cars that LOOK like cars on my lot, yet you paid pennies on the dollar BECAUSE they were UNDER WATER.....then you are not comparing apples to apples.

2. Another analogy:

Are you going to take your race car to a Jiffy Lube to get worked on? Why not? They have the same brand of tools, they have the uniforms, they have the time......why not then? Maybe because they don't have the KNOWLEDGE? Well, if some sucker is willing to buy a Katrina car just because you're selling it for less than I am selling a non-flooded car......is he a sucker for not doing his homework or are you a snake for not telling him? Either way he gets the shaft, right? Does that make you a better DEALER than me??? Not in my book. Same applies to Photography.

Much like APC, fart can exhausts, and huge park bench spoilers gave our hobby a bad name. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry who happens to pick up a camera and calls every shot he/she takes a "photoshoot" waters down our hobby.

Go look on CL right now. There are a ton of ads looking for photographers for FREE.......:rolleyes: Why? Because there are tons of people doing it, so why not? They want studio time, lights, professional results.....FOR FREE. Ok, so photographers have to spend thousands of dollars, their own time, their own efforts, and you want to give them WHAT in return???? Nothing? Whatever. :rolleyes:

Let's all just walk into Walmart and take stuff we want for free. See how that works. Wait, let's go to the Dr's office and let them do what they do and then just flick them off when they ask for payment. Better yet, let's all go to where YOU work and get YOU to do what YOU do only to turn around and tell you :2up: when you want to get paid. How would you feel if some bum off the street came in and YOU lost YOUR job because he was willing to do YOUR job for cheaper than YOU????? Is he going to do as good a job as YOU????? Doesn't matter because it's all about "competition", right????? :rolleyes:

changaroo
11-25-2008, 05:26 AM
Just to play devil's advocate here for a second...say I am Joe Shmoe with my rusty cars down the street from your nice dealership. What about the people out there who don't really care about having a nice, pristine vehicle? What about the person that goes to your dealership, sees what you have for sale for $XXX and then sees what I have for 25% of that, and maybe thinks to themselves that, to the average person, it is perfectly fine and acceptable to have said rust bucket? It's called competition and it's something you need to accept. Whether you set out with a budget and story boards and model and full-frame camera's or I set out with my Xsi and 17-40L, it doesn't really matter...in the end, my pictures could be better than yours, and I could have done it for free, but yet you have the nerve to tell my I can't call what I just did a photoshoot? GTFO.

The problem is though, and I cant really speak for myself, is that some people are doing this full time for living. Its what they do to put food on their tables, and pay their bills each month.

Joe shmoe down the street, most likely has a day job, and is just doing the whole photo thing as a hobby and doesnt really care to make money in the process, the money thing is more of an added bonus for what he is doing, therefore he charges a lower rate.

Is he wrong in doing what he's doing? Most likely not, but a lot of people do not know what its worth. He'll I havent had anyone come up to me lately and ask for pics because everyone here these days is toting around a DSLR. I'm glad I don't do this full time :):2up:

A.P. Photography
11-25-2008, 07:27 AM

So you went from playing Devils Advocate to getting butt hurt. :lmfao:

Can someone with an XSi and an L lens shoot better than someone with a 1Ds and an L lens, yes. I have seen it first hand. I have also seen the influx of soccer moms and wanna be photogs kill the lively hood for professional photogs. I don't make a living from shooting but it is a side business and it does make it harder to make money thanks to "weasels."

Do you shoot models or portrait (not family gatherings or immediate family)? If so then you have done a photo shoot. If not then yes, I have the nerve to say what you have shot is not a photo shoot. :goodjob:

GAtegs
11-25-2008, 03:28 PM
1. Call it what it is then. Call yourself "lot full of rust buckets" and then it will be competition because you are competing on a level playing field w/o false advertising. If you have a lot full of Katrina flood cars that LOOK like cars on my lot, yet you paid pennies on the dollar BECAUSE they were UNDER WATER.....then you are not comparing apples to apples.

Sure, but why should I call myself "lot full of rust buckets" when people can see exactly what there is in front of them (some kind of a portfolio). You are going a little off track by comparing this all to flood cars because although a flood car might look fine and not be, a photograph that looks fine is in fact that, fine.

2. Another analogy:

Are you going to take your race car to a Jiffy Lube to get worked on? Why not? They have the same brand of tools, they have the uniforms, they have the time......why not then? Maybe because they don't have the KNOWLEDGE? Well, if some sucker is willing to buy a Katrina car just because you're selling it for less than I am selling a non-flooded car......is he a sucker for not doing his homework or are you a snake for not telling him? Either way he gets the shaft, right? Does that make you a better DEALER than me??? Not in my book. Same applies to Photography.

Again, it doesn't really matter. If a client hires a photographer without seeing some sort of a portfolio, then that specific client is a fucking moron and deserves whatever they get. But if they see a portfolio and that is what they are looking for, who are you to say that they are wrong to use the "Jiffy Lube" photographer.

I agree with you, if I sell a flooded car without informing the client of said damage, then yes, I am a no good piece of garbage...BUT we are not selling cars here, we are selling photography...and like I said above, if a client hires me without seeing my work, they are a moron, but chances are, they will (or won't) hire me after seeing my work, and if my work is the type of thing that they are looking for at the price they are looking for, sucks to be you.

Much like APC, fart can exhausts, and huge park bench spoilers gave our hobby a bad name. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry who happens to pick up a camera and calls every shot he/she takes a "photoshoot" waters down our hobby.

Now you are going off track. You guys were making this argument as professional photographers, not hobbyists...which one is it?

Go look on CL right now. There are a ton of ads looking for photographers for FREE.......:rolleyes: Why? Because there are tons of people doing it, so why not? They want studio time, lights, professional results.....FOR FREE. Ok, so photographers have to spend thousands of dollars, their own time, their own efforts, and you want to give them WHAT in return???? Nothing? Whatever. :rolleyes:

I don't deny that there are millions of ads looking for free work right now, but that's the thing, they are looking for FREE work and there are people out there willing to do it free. You are not losing any business there because the people from those ads are willing to take the lesser quality for the reduced price. If the free work wasn't available, I can guarantee you, 99% of those people looking for photographers would not be looking.

Maybe what you guys need to be pissed off with is not the amateurs calling themselves photographers, but every chick on the internet with a pair of heels calling herself a model.

Let's all just walk into Walmart and take stuff we want for free. See how that works. Wait, let's go to the Dr's office and let them do what they do and then just flick them off when they ask for payment. Better yet, let's all go to where YOU work and get YOU to do what YOU do only to turn around and tell you :2up: when you want to get paid. How would you feel if some bum off the street came in and YOU lost YOUR job because he was willing to do YOUR job for cheaper than YOU????? Is he going to do as good a job as YOU????? Doesn't matter because it's all about "competition", right????? :rolleyes:

I don't even know how to respond to this. We started out discussing people asking for free stuff and others giving them free stuff. Now you are talking about stealing.

GAtegs
11-25-2008, 03:32 PM
The problem is though, and I cant really speak for myself, is that some people are doing this full time for living. Its what they do to put food on their tables, and pay their bills each month.

Joe shmoe down the street, most likely has a day job, and is just doing the whole photo thing as a hobby and doesnt really care to make money in the process, the money thing is more of an added bonus for what he is doing, therefore he charges a lower rate.

Is he wrong in doing what he's doing? Most likely not, but a lot of people do not know what its worth. He'll I havent had anyone come up to me lately and ask for pics because everyone here these days is toting around a DSLR. I'm glad I don't do this full time :):2up:

I agree with you 100%. What I am saying is, you don't have the right to tell these people what they can or can't call what they are doing. They might charge less, they might suck ass at it, but it doesn't change the fact that they are out doing a photoshoot.

It's like me saying, "I'm headed to the park to play some baseball with my friends." And then you coming back with, "Fuck you, you can't say you play baseball unless you are in the MLB making 6 figures."

GAtegs
11-25-2008, 03:34 PM
So you went from playing Devils Advocate to getting butt hurt. :lmfao:

Can someone with an XSi and an L lens shoot better than someone with a 1Ds and an L lens, yes. I have seen it first hand. I have also seen the influx of soccer moms and wanna be photogs kill the lively hood for professional photogs. I don't make a living from shooting but it is a side business and it does make it harder to make money thanks to "weasels."

Do you shoot models or portrait (not family gatherings or immediate family)? If so then you have done a photo shoot. If not then yes, I have the nerve to say what you have shot is not a photo shoot. :goodjob:

I am not butt hurt...that entire quote was me playing devils advocate.

And to answer your question...I don't "shoot anything". I am 110% a hobbyist and I am trying to learn, but I have no desire nor plan to EVER call myself a professional, nor do I ever plan to make money off of it. It's like drag racing...it's fun as hell, I would do it all the time if I could afford to, but I don't plan on ever making a living off of it.

.blank cd
11-25-2008, 04:51 PM
It's like me saying, "I'm headed to the park to play some baseball with my friends." And then you coming back with, "Fuck you, you can't say you play baseball unless you are in the MLB making 6 figures."YES! THANK YOU! That was exactly the damn statement I was looking for to sum this whole argument up! Cool points for you :goodjob:

.blank cd
11-25-2008, 05:04 PM
And another thing. Theres too many damn "pro photographers" (not naming any names) bitching and complaining about what people can and cant do, and what this is and what this isn't with their "Holyer than thou" attitudes. Ive never seen so much of this whining from people who claim to be great at what they do. Just STFU and do what you do

A.P. Photography
11-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Why are you so upset hotshot? This is a discussion on what a photo shoot is, a public debate. And who are these "pro" photographers you are referring to?

A.P. Photography
11-25-2008, 06:51 PM
I am not butt hurt...that entire quote was me playing devils advocate.

And to answer your question...I don't "shoot anything". I am 110% a hobbyist and I am trying to learn, but I have no desire nor plan to EVER call myself a professional, nor do I ever plan to make money off of it. It's like drag racing...it's fun as hell, I would do it all the time if I could afford to, but I don't plan on ever making a living off of it.

Oh ok, thought the "Devil's Advocate" speech went to a personal rant towards the end. My advice is to find a good photography forum and just read. You can find a ton of info and a lot of people who can help in your area of interest. :goodjob:

.blank cd
11-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Why are you so upset hotshot? This is a discussion on what a photo shoot is, a public debate. And who are these "pro" photographers you are referring to?I know its a public debate and im stating my public opinion. Maybe its just a bad day or whatever, but with all that aside, im tired of the negativity and destructive critisism hidden behind facades. I can see through the BS. Those who im speaking of know who they are

speedminded
11-25-2008, 08:43 PM
I know its a public debate and im stating my public opinion. Maybe its just a bad day or whatever, but with all that aside, im tired of the negativity and destructive critisism hidden behind facades. I can see through the BS. Those who im speaking of know who they areDo you have any clue what you are arguing for?

The point of the thread is not about what any one does for a living or the equipment used. The definition of "photo shoot" pertains ONLY to fashion and/or commercial advertisements, nothing else. The same "photo shoot" can be done with a $20 35mm bought from a pawn shop or a $40,000 Hasselblad, it doesn't matter...it's the subject and purpose that makes it a "photo shoot" or not.

What are you implying when you title "photo shoot" in a pictures forum? That you went out and took photos? lol. It is indeed in the pictures forum isn't it? Isn't that a little redundant? That's like putting "WTB" in a thread title in the "WTB" forum, of course it's "wanted to buy" because it's "WTB" forum. Same goes the items in the "for sale" section.

This thread is about the incorrect use of the word and nothing else. Until Webster changes the definition of "Photo shoot" to "taking photos" then my argument stands. Very few people have done "photo shoots" on this forum, me included.

A.P. Photography
11-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Very few people have done "photo shoots" on this forum, me included.

:thinking: Actually you have.

CHADbee
11-25-2008, 08:53 PM
i did a photoshoot today.....

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206553

right? those pictures were used for promotion! im using them to try and sell something.

i did a photoshoot ha :taun:

A.P. Photography
11-25-2008, 09:00 PM
ROTFLMAO

speedminded
11-25-2008, 09:03 PM
:thinking: Actually you have.Technically yes, pertaining to models for a company at least. Then Konig using one of my photos for commercial advertising turned me taking a couple car snapshots into a "photo shoot" after the fact...so I don't count it.

The day a company calls me up requesting my services so they advertise their products, gives me a shot list, time and date, etc. is the day I call it a photo shoot.

speedminded
11-25-2008, 09:07 PM
i did a photoshoot today.....

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206553

right? those pictures were used for promotion! im using them to try and sell something.

i did a photoshoot ha :taun:Nope, it's not commercial advertising...unless you are in fact a company then the thread will get deleted, lol.

CHADbee
11-25-2008, 09:12 PM
Nope, it's not commercial advertising...unless you are in fact a company then the thread will get deleted, lol.
fuck :(

CHADbee
11-25-2008, 09:15 PM
ok when i worked for S&W automotive i took pictures with my blackjack phone of parts we had at the junkyard to post for sale here on IA(yes i was a sponsor)

so i HAVE done a photoshoot! and it was with a phone!!!!

HA! you cant keep me down son! :lmao:

what! what!

Jaimecbr900
11-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Sure, but why should I call myself "lot full of rust buckets" when people can see exactly what there is in front of them (some kind of a portfolio). You are going a little off track by comparing this all to flood cars because although a flood car might look fine and not be, a photograph that looks fine is in fact that, fine.

That's where you're wrong. Because servicing a client goes far beyond just a pretty pic. I'm not going off track at all. I used an analogy to prove a point. A flooded car, once dried out and detailed and at first glance, looks much like any other non-flooded car. It may LOOK like a duck, but it's NOT a duck. Much like someone who simply buys a DSLR is NOT automatically a "photographer" doing a "photo shoot" just because he LOOKS the part. THAT was my point. If you didn't get that then, you should get it now.

Again, it doesn't really matter. If a client hires a photographer without seeing some sort of a portfolio, then that specific client is a fucking moron and deserves whatever they get. But if they see a portfolio and that is what they are looking for, who are you to say that they are wrong to use the "Jiffy Lube" photographer.

Again, you missed my point, so I'll repeat. No matter how much you dress it up, a "Jiffy Lube" attendant is NOT A MECHANIC 99.99999% of the time. They may DRESS like one, have TOOLS like one, but they are NOT one. Again, much like someone that merely buys a DSLR is not automatically some hot shot photographer because he/she has snapped a few pics of their buddies ricer mobile in some parking lot. When that "Jiffy Lube" photographer waters down the pool when they don't even know what a "photo shoot" really is, then that reflects on every other person who may be a real photographer. Get it now? Again, you're having a real difficulty following analogies for some reason.

I agree with you, if I sell a flooded car without informing the client of said damage, then yes, I am a no good piece of garbage...BUT we are not selling cars here, we are selling photography...and like I said above, if a client hires me without seeing my work, they are a moron, but chances are, they will (or won't) hire me after seeing my work, and if my work is the type of thing that they are looking for at the price they are looking for, sucks to be you.

Why would it suck to be me? Because I don't whore myself out? Because I don't go around bragging about mediocre work? Because I spend countless hours researching and refining my interest? Cool....then I guess I suck then....:rolleyes:

Wannabe photographers that whore themselves out for less than a crack baby in downtown Atlanta are the ones that truly suck. They not only turn out crappy work for free, but they set a precedent for the rest of the real photographers out there to have to follow if they want work.

Now you are going off track. You guys were making this argument as professional photographers, not hobbyists...which one is it?

It's the same argument. You're the only one that doesn't seem to get it.

I don't deny that there are millions of ads looking for free work right now, but that's the thing, they are looking for FREE work and there are people out there willing to do it free. You are not losing any business there because the people from those ads are willing to take the lesser quality for the reduced price. If the free work wasn't available, I can guarantee you, 99% of those people looking for photographers would not be looking.

Totally false. If people wouldn't ask for whores, the whores would go do something else. Right or wrong? Well, the same thing with these people who want a product that normally costs money, but starving artists do for free.

Losing business? You don't seem to get it. If wannabes wouldn't stoop down to do work for FREE all the time, then people would have only 2 choices: PAY a fair rate for their needs, or do it themselves. That's really the bottom line. You really think that if a company NEEDS photographs that suddenly when they can't get them for free they'll simply scrap the idea???? You're fooling yourself. If they NEED photographs, then they NEED photographs. There is a BIG difference between NEED and WANT. It's one thing to play around with your buddies and take pics for the fun of it and it's totally another to bid on a job only to lose it to someone willing to do it for FREE.

I already challenged you to tell me what you do. What if whatever it is that you do, for a living, to keep food on your table, to pay your rent, even if it's just partial is suddenly up for "competition" with someone who is willing to do it for FREE???? How would YOU feel then? Would that bum off the street who only wants crack money and probably doesn't know how to do YOUR JOB any better than you be such a bargain to anyone but YOUR BOSS???? I mean, you're all about "competition", right? That's competition in your book, right? So how would YOU feel if your boss told you tomm that you are losing your job to a BUM simply because the BUM is willing to do YOUR job for FREE???? Would you still be all ho-hum about it then? Doubt it.

I don't even know how to respond to this. We started out discussing people asking for free stuff and others giving them free stuff. Now you are talking about stealing.

According to you that is just "competition" and you should just "get over it". :rolleyes: Stealing is nothing more than one person taking from another what they SHOULD'VE paid for in the first place. Do you not get that analogy either????:rolleyes:

Whatever. Do what you want. Even WHORES charge for their services. If you want to be LESS than even a WHORE, then good for you. :goodjob:

A.P. Photography
11-25-2008, 09:25 PM
ok when i worked for S&W automotive i took pictures with my blackjack phone of parts we had at the junkyard to post for sale here on IA(yes i was a sponsor)

so i HAVE done a photoshoot! and it was with a phone!!!!

HA! you cant keep me down son! :lmao:

what! what!
That was a phone shoot not a photo shoot. :lmfao:

speedminded
11-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Wannabe photographers that whore themselves out for less than a crack baby in downtown Atlanta are the ones that truly suck. They not only turn out crappy work for free, but they set a precedent for the rest of the real photographers out there to have to follow if they want work.Doing work for free is a whole different thread topic that will get heated, lol. It doesn't matter the quality, doing something for free lowers the value of everyone else doing it.

My Integra is valued at $6 to 7k, if everyone started selling the same model for $2,000 what do you think the value of my car would be? No longer $6k because nobody would want to pay that. What if everyone started giving them away, even if they barely ran but they worked, then what would the value of mine be?

I'm guilty of it too but take pride in your work and charge for it.

Plus, can anyone tell me why people are not allowed to promote labor on Import Atlanta? That's simple, it steals business from the sponsors.

CHADbee
11-25-2008, 09:44 PM
That was a phone shoot not a photo shoot. :lmfao:
dont hate! LOL

i took a PHOTO with my phone to promote something commercial.

i did a photoshoot and nobodys taking it away from me :tongue1:

uproot
11-25-2008, 09:46 PM
lol, if anybody else makes a car pic thread labeled with the words "photo shoot" after this thread they need to be banned :lmfao:

GAtegs
11-26-2008, 04:08 PM
That's where you're wrong. Because servicing a client goes far beyond just a pretty pic. I'm not going off track at all. I used an analogy to prove a point. A flooded car, once dried out and detailed and at first glance, looks much like any other non-flooded car. It may LOOK like a duck, but it's NOT a duck. Much like someone who simply buys a DSLR is NOT automatically a "photographer" doing a "photo shoot" just because he LOOKS the part. THAT was my point. If you didn't get that then, you should get it now.

How the fuck are YOU not getting this? YES...a car can be cleaned up and LOOK the part of a good car, but it is different with photography. If a client looks at a portfolio and likes what they see and like the price they see, then they will hire the photographer and in return get pictures on par with what was seen in the portfolio. What they saw in the portfolio is what the photographer replicates and what the client gets in return. There is no way to disguise that. Your analogy sucks and is irrelevant here. Now if a photographer shows a portfolio filled with some other photographer's pictures and sells the client on that and the client receives said "flood car" pictures, then sure, your analogy holds true. I mean, you must have work with some retarded clients if you were hired before sharing some past work.

Again, you missed my point, so I'll repeat. No matter how much you dress it up, a "Jiffy Lube" attendant is NOT A MECHANIC 99.99999% of the time. They may DRESS like one, have TOOLS like one, but they are NOT one. Again, much like someone that merely buys a DSLR is not automatically some hot shot photographer because he/she has snapped a few pics of their buddies ricer mobile in some parking lot. When that "Jiffy Lube" photographer waters down the pool when they don't even know what a "photo shoot" really is, then that reflects on every other person who may be a real photographer.

A Jiffy Lube attendant has never been and will never be ASKED to be a mechanic. When your engine needs a rebuild, you don't go to Jiffy Lube, you go to a real shop. All a Jiffy Lube attendant is asked to be able to do is remove a drain plug and filter, put them back in, and then fill car back up with oil. They're not PRETENDING to be something else, they are oil changers, that's it. See you are getting into something completely different AGAIN. We were not talking about amateur photographers calling themselves hot shot photographers, we are talking about a person (who otherwise wouldn't pay for it if it were the only option) asking for a free photoshoot and a guy with a camera agreeing to do it free to gain experience.

Get it now? Again, you're having a real difficulty following analogies for some reason.

You are right, I am having real difficulty following analogies...that happens when the analogy given doesn't have a fuckin thing to do with the topic at hand.

Why would it suck to be me? Because I don't whore myself out? Because I don't go around bragging about mediocre work? Because I spend countless hours researching and refining my interest? Cool....then I guess I suck then....:rolleyes:

If you had read what I said, what I was saying that if for example: say there is a client shopping around and picks you and I (just using examples...I'm not a photographer) as the 2 photographers to choose from for a job. They look at both our portfolios and our quotes...say yours is $3,000 and mine is $1,000 (or even free, it doesn't matter). Now your pictures are twice as good as mine and the client sees that. If the client decides, "I would rather have the mediocre pics for a 1/3 of the price", then that is when it sucks to be you...not in a spiteful way, but in the way that now I got the job and you didn't...you have to admit, it would suck.

Wannabe photographers that whore themselves out for less than a crack baby in downtown Atlanta are the ones that truly suck. They not only turn out crappy work for free, but they set a precedent for the rest of the real photographers out there to have to follow if they want work.

You don't seem to grasp that you are dealing with 2 completely different markets in a case like this. There is the market where a client wants a top quality product and is willing to pay for it and there is a market where the client is looking for a mediocre product for next to nothing. Do you think that if tomorrow all these Rebel/D80 toting amateurs disappeared that all of a sudden all these people looking for free work would be beating down your door to pay your prices? No...and if you do, you need a reality check.

It's the same argument. You're the only one that doesn't seem to get it.

No, I am the only one with the fuckin' balls to speak out against one of IA's "well-knowns" or “OG’s”.

Totally false. If people wouldn't ask for whores, the whores would go do something else. Right or wrong? Well, the same thing with these people who want a product that normally costs money, but starving artists do for free.

The whore’s you speak of is a result of the concept of “demand”. You remember economics from high school right? The whore’s are there because there are people out there that want cheap fucky fucky. If the demand was not there, the whores wouldn’t be either. It just so happens that with DSLR’s coming down in price, amateur photographers were given a “be a whore” license for REALLY cheap and the people who never thought they would ever want a whore because of the price are now saying “Well shit, I never had a whore before, but there’s hookers doing it for nothing/free, let me try it.” You being the high dollar 5th Avenue escort that you are loses no business to it because the aforementioned whores and clients are in a market of their own.

Losing business? You don't seem to get it. If wannabes wouldn't stoop down to do work for FREE all the time, then people would have only 2 choices: PAY a fair rate for their needs, or do it themselves. That's really the bottom line. You really think that if a company NEEDS photographs that suddenly when they can't get them for free they'll simply scrap the idea???? You're fooling yourself. If they NEED photographs, then they NEED photographs. There is a BIG difference between NEED and WANT. It's one thing to play around with your buddies and take pics for the fun of it and it's totally another to bid on a job only to lose it to someone willing to do it for FREE.

So what you are saying now is that not only can I not offer to take pictures for some random people for free anymore, but when a buddy shows up at my house asking me to help him change his clutch, I have to tell him to fuck off and take it to shop X down the street because the photographic elitists on IA said I was stealing shop X’s business. You have never seen Tracy come on here and ask people to stop fixing friend’s cars because their shop is losing business, not have you seen Eminodagreat (I think) come on here and tell you not to install a turbo kit for your little brother because they need the money to make rent this month. Get fucking real, dude.

I already challenged you to tell me what you do. What if whatever it is that you do, for a living, to keep food on your table, to pay your rent, even if it's just partial is suddenly up for "competition" with someone who is willing to do it for FREE???? How would YOU feel then? Would that bum off the street who only wants crack money and probably doesn't know how to do YOUR JOB any better than you be such a bargain to anyone but YOUR BOSS???? I mean, you're all about "competition", right? That's competition in your book, right? So how would YOU feel if your boss told you tomm that you are losing your job to a BUM simply because the BUM is willing to do YOUR job for FREE???? Would you still be all ho-hum about it then? Doubt it.

I manage the online inventory for an automotive dealership. I can GUARANTEE you that there are PLENTY of people out there that can do my job for MUCH less than I am willing to do it for, but my boss has confidence in me and has the piece of mind that he can go WEEKS without seeing me and know that my shit is going to get done and get done right so he is willing to pay more money to keep me there…much like you showing your portfolio to someone and then hiring you based of the work you can do. If you are losing business to there free phitgraphers or whores, then maybe you are just not that good. Maybe the people who have told you that you are good don’t really know what they are talking about. MAYBE the services you have to offer are not worth the price you are asking.

I was recently looking for a photographer for my wedding and I came across this one guy that charges $25,000 to do a wedding. I thought that was outrageous, but I called for shits and giggle to hear what it is that they do. My wedding date was over a year away and this photographer was booked the weekend of my wedding and well as every other weekend that month? Do you think he is on a forum somewhere whining like a little bitch about people shooting for free?

According to you that is just "competition" and you should just "get over it". :rolleyes: Stealing is nothing more than one person taking from another what they SHOULD'VE paid for in the first place. Do you not get that analogy either????:rolleyes:

NOBODY IS FUCKING STEALING. THE PEOPLE ASKING FOR SHIT FOR FREE WOULD NOT PAY FOR IT IF THE FREE SHIT WASN’T THERE, THEY WOULD JUST GO WITHOUT, THUS AFFECTING YOU IN NO WAY.

Whatever. Do what you want. Even WHORES charge for their services. If you want to be LESS than even a WHORE, then good for you. :goodjob:

Just so it is clear…I am making an argument for the principle, not for a personal stake that I have in the situation.

CHADbee
11-26-2008, 08:38 PM
sick'em......

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206754

dornon13
11-30-2008, 09:18 AM
What a silly argument lol. IMO paid=photoshoot If you are a true photographer your work will stand out against the rest and you will get paid well for it....magazines are not going to hire the "hacks" and its not like anyone is paying loads of money for personal use photos.

man
11-30-2008, 03:39 PM
This thread makes no sense. Photo shoot = taking a series of pictures, whether it's professional or not.

I find it funny how self-proclaimed "artists" don't understand what art is...

my :2cents:

speedminded
11-30-2008, 05:41 PM
This thread makes no sense. Photo shoot = taking a series of pictures, whether it's professional or not.

I find it funny how self-proclaimed "artists" don't understand what art is...

my :2cents:Prove it. Multiple people have quoted the EXACT definition of "photo shoot" and it has nothing to do with it being by a professional or not or being a series of photographs. Professional means payed, simple as that. "Photo shoot" ONLY pertains to the fashion industry or commercial advertising. Taking a series of snap shots of cars or any other subject does not constitute a photo shoot.

speedminded
11-30-2008, 05:49 PM
What a silly argument lol. IMO paid=photoshoot If you are a true photographer your work will stand out against the rest and you will get paid well for it....magazines are not going to hire the "hacks" and its not like anyone is paying loads of money for personal use photos.They do and they will continue to as their advertising budgets continue to get cut. I GAVE Konig a photo that was valued at well over $5,000 after they published full page ads in 3+ of the largest import automotive magazines. I am that hack 10 months after buying a DSLR just because I wanted to get published. I see what I did as stealing from a professional photographer. That was the first and last time I've done something commercial for free.

man
12-01-2008, 12:04 AM
Prove it. Multiple people have quoted the EXACT definition of "photo shoot" and it has nothing to do with it being by a professional or not or being a series of photographs. Professional means payed, simple as that. "Photo shoot" ONLY pertains to the fashion industry or commercial advertising. Taking a series of snap shots of cars or any other subject does not constitute a photo shoot.

And why does it bother you so much? Is the improper use of the word threatening your career?

CHADbee
12-01-2008, 12:32 AM
a hooker taking a picture of her poo-nana is a photoshoot right?

Vteckidd
12-01-2008, 01:51 AM
the problem with the photography business is that everyone thinks they are a "photographer"

its so easy, costs maybe $3000 to start up with camera,lenses, maybe Photoshop and you can have your own Photography Business.

I mean there is almost ZERO overhead because you dont need to rent a building, you can go on LOCATION.

Its appealing, and its a FAD thats in right now for whatever reason.

Problem is, the people that say they are photographers to act cool, dont understand it from the PROFESSIONAL photographers that use that business to make a living.

Just like you have REAL SHOPS that work on cars, then you have the "backyard mechanic" that essentially on paper does the "same work" for much cheaper, but you know its not going to be as quality as a REAL SHOP. A REAL SHOP has overhead, equipment, training, techs, accounting software, etc

a BACKYARD MECHANIC has a garage, and he is his only employee.

The backyard mechanic will take business from the REAL SHOP, and that used to bother me, but now i say, if people want to pay less, then fuck em, you werent getting their business anyway.

I also think that alot of people charge way too much with a portfolio that is not that great. And alot of people arent going to pay some 22 year old kid off Importatlanta.com $1000 for some pics of their $2000 civic, sorry.

FYI My oldest sister runs her own photography business and its tough, there is ALOT of competiton. You just have to pick a reasonable price and stick to it.

this is her site
http://www.jenniferbrooksphoto.com/

dornon13
12-01-2008, 04:47 AM
I dont think the misuse of the term photoshoot is the issue after all it is just a "word" the fact that there are decent photographers doing work for free is growing every day that manufacturers put out affordable dSLRs. This bothers me as well....if you are offering your service do not do it for free. Even if you are just trying to put together a portfolio free is not an option.

Jaimecbr900
12-01-2008, 11:51 PM
How the fuck are YOU not getting this? YES...a car can be cleaned up and LOOK the part of a good car, but it is different with photography.

No, it's you that's not getting it at all.

There are plenty of people out there that walk the walk and talk the talk, but aren't. That's my point. So I used the analogy of a POS car that LOOKS "OK" but really isn't where as another one IS "OK" but has to compete with the POS one BECAUSE to laymen it LOOKS just like the good one. Get it now? Probably not. :rolleyes:

I mean, you must have work with some retarded clients if you were hired before sharing some past work.

You must love going off on tangents. What does past work and portfolios have to do with people not knowing the first thing about photography? Anybody can have what THEY call a portfolio. Anybody can get a business card with their name on it. Anybody can play the part. Problem comes in when those same know-nothings ruin it for everyone else that takes it seriously.

A Jiffy Lube attendant has never been and will never be ASKED to be a mechanic. When your engine needs a rebuild, you don't go to Jiffy Lube, you go to a real shop. All a Jiffy Lube attendant is asked to be able to do is remove a drain plug and filter, put them back in, and then fill car back up with oil. They're not PRETENDING to be something else, they are oil changers, that's it. See you are getting into something completely different AGAIN.

You really don't get it, do you?:rolleyes:

YOU may think a Jiffy Lube guy is not a mechanic....I may think he's no mechanic.....but plenty of people out there DO BECAUSE he dresses the part and talks the part. I have personally seen customers walk into the shop with "print outs" and "recommendations" from one-stop oil change places with everything from brakes to full blown engines. They actually do give out that kind of "advice". They actually get people to buy all kinds of things they don't need just because they thought these guys KNEW what they were talking about.

So it is YOU that once AGAIN don't get it. These same yahoos that recommend brakes to people that clearly don't need them are the same ones that people glob together with REAL mechanics when they talk about horror stories to their friends. This is how people who PLAY the part ruin it for those that don't. Get it now? AGAIN, probably not. :rolleyes:

We were not talking about amateur photographers calling themselves hot shot photographers, we are talking about a person (who otherwise wouldn't pay for it if it were the only option) asking for a free photoshoot and a guy with a camera agreeing to do it free to gain experience.

Ummm, that's exactly what I've been talking about. I have no clue where you've been.

Where do you think these people GET the idea to ask for a free photo shoot? From those same guys that buy a camera today and call themselves photographers tomm. That is what I mean by ruining it for others.

You are right, I am having real difficulty following analogies...that happens when the analogy given doesn't have a fuckin thing to do with the topic at hand.

It's not my fault you can't follow clear logic.

If you had read what I said, what I was saying that if for example: say there is a client shopping around and picks you and I (just using examples...I'm not a photographer) as the 2 photographers to choose from for a job. They look at both our portfolios and our quotes...say yours is $3,000 and mine is $1,000 (or even free, it doesn't matter). Now your pictures are twice as good as mine and the client sees that. If the client decides, "I would rather have the mediocre pics for a 1/3 of the price", then that is when it sucks to be you...not in a spiteful way, but in the way that now I got the job and you didn't...you have to admit, it would suck.

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: Seriously, do you think before you respond? So you really think that people out there sit down and think, "Hmmmm, I'm going to SETTLE for this guy because he's cheap and I KNOW I'm going to get shitty results....but HEY.....I saved a lot by switching to Geico!".....:rolleyes: Give me a break.

People want perfect pics at a rock bottom price. No fault there. Problem lies when that rock bottom price is ZERO. It is impossible to compete with, and therefore JUST LIKE I'VE BEEN SAYING, so it's not really "competition" at all.

You don't seem to grasp that you are dealing with 2 completely different markets in a case like this. There is the market where a client wants a top quality product and is willing to pay for it and there is a market where the client is looking for a mediocre product for next to nothing.

Oh, I grasp it. Let's see if YOU do.......

Name those markets. Come on, give me a tangible example of someone that YOU know that is willing to SETTLE for mediocracy in the name of saving a buck. Go ahead....enlighten me.

Do you think that if tomorrow all these Rebel/D80 toting amateurs disappeared that all of a sudden all these people looking for free work would be beating down your door to pay your prices? No...and if you do, you need a reality check.

#1. You don't know anything about me nor my "prices".
#2. I do PLENTY of free work for my friends. The catch is that I neither post it up, nor do I call it a photoshoot.
#3. I also learned the hard way that doing stuff for free or for "your portfolio" or "in contemplation of future work" ONLY benefits the person GETTING the pics. In other words, I screwed myself by working for HOURS and sometimes DAYS only to see my pics benefit only them. I got shafted. Cool. But that's why I'm saying what I am, not out of jealousy as you are trying to imply, but out of experience from getting the shaft.

No, I am the only one with the fuckin' balls to speak out against one of IA's "well-knowns" or “OG’s”.

Remind me to give you a cookie later.....:rolleyes:

The whore’s you speak of is a result of the concept of “demand”. You remember economics from high school right? The whore’s are there because there are people out there that want cheap fucky fucky. If the demand was not there, the whores wouldn’t be either. It just so happens that with DSLR’s coming down in price, amateur photographers were given a “be a whore” license for REALLY cheap and the people who never thought they would ever want a whore because of the price are now saying “Well shit, I never had a whore before, but there’s hookers doing it for nothing/free, let me try it.” You being the high dollar 5th Avenue escort that you are loses no business to it because the aforementioned whores and clients are in a market of their own.

Obviously you weren't paying attention in aforementioned Economics class. The same way demand works to dictate market price, so does SUPPLY. That is what I'm speaking of here. SUPPLY, not DEMAND.

Bottomline still stands......even a WHORE charges for her services.

So what you are saying now is that not only can I not offer to take pictures for some random people for free anymore, but when a buddy shows up at my house asking me to help him change his clutch, I have to tell him to fuck off and take it to shop X down the street because the photographic elitists on IA said I was stealing shop X’s business. You have never seen Tracy come on here and ask people to stop fixing friend’s cars because their shop is losing business, not have you seen Eminodagreat (I think) come on here and tell you not to install a turbo kit for your little brother because they need the money to make rent this month. Get fucking real, dude.

If your buddy would start advertising as shade tree shop and come to me and not a real shop......I bet they'd have a problem with that.

I manage the online inventory for an automotive dealership. I can GUARANTEE you that there are PLENTY of people out there that can do my job for MUCH less than I am willing to do it for, but my boss has confidence in me and has the piece of mind that he can go WEEKS without seeing me and know that my shit is going to get done and get done right so he is willing to pay more money to keep me there…much like you showing your portfolio to someone and then hiring you based of the work you can do. If you are losing business to there free phitgraphers or whores, then maybe you are just not that good. Maybe the people who have told you that you are good don’t really know what they are talking about. MAYBE the services you have to offer are not worth the price you are asking.

Ohhhh, I see......Economics.....Supply and Demand.....what's wrong with doing things for less.....must suck to be you.....only applies to everyone else and not YOU, huh???? What's good for the goose is not for the gander in your world too????

So you admit that someone can replace you for less, yet it doesn't "suck to be you"???? So you admit that doing a job well is worth MORE than doing it mediocre, yet you're ok with saying that I'm crazy for saying the same thing. Do you also bend spoons with your mind in your parallel world?????:lmfao:

This is exactly why I asked what YOU did for a living. I knew when it was turned around to something YOU do.......Ohhhhh, well now THAT is different......forget MY logic about YOU getting shafted......I wanna get PAID for what I do and I'm worth every penny......:rolleyes: Got it. :goodjob:

Do you think he is on a forum somewhere whining like a little bitch about people shooting for free?

I'm going to let that slide for now, but you may want to watch what you say. If you want to change this to personal, I'll be glad to go there with you if you want.

NOBODY IS FUCKING STEALING. THE PEOPLE ASKING FOR SHIT FOR FREE WOULD NOT PAY FOR IT IF THE FREE SHIT WASN’T THERE, THEY WOULD JUST GO WITHOUT, THUS AFFECTING YOU IN NO WAY.

You're right about something finally. They would certainly not ask for free if free wasn't out there. You're finally right. The second part is where you're wrong. Name me what situation is out there where pics were required and then suddenly scrapped because they suddenly realized they had to pay for those pics. Weddings? Ummm, no. Advertising? Ummm, no. Magazines? Ummm, no. Websites? Ummmm, no. Name them. All these places where people suddenly scrap the idea of pics when they have to pay. Name them. If they NEED pics, they NEED pics.

Bottomline is this, and I'm not going to keep the pissing contest here unless you want me to.......you want to give value and merit to YOUR WORK, yet you don't want to give that same value nor merit to what others do. That's bullshit and convenient.

IF your boss came in and told you tomm that you are no longer needed because some bum is going to do your job for free, would you be as complacent? What about your experience? What about your performance? Screw it all.....right? Boss says "screw you" because this numb nut is going to do it for free, so that's just basic Economics....right? Supply and Demand??? Would you say that it "sucks to be you" then????? Doubt it. :rolleyes:

GAtegs
12-02-2008, 05:13 AM
I've decided I am not going to keep going back and forth with you. You clearly don't seem to get what I am saying and I think I can live with that...I know I'm right and that's all I need.

A.P. Photography
12-02-2008, 07:25 AM
~opens beer~ Oh come on, I was just getting entertained.

And I actually noticed yesterday that a lot of forums call pictures of cars "Photo Shoots". It is a sad day.

ratedEG
12-02-2008, 05:34 PM
What is photography, and what is the answer to life the universe and everything.

GAtegs
12-02-2008, 07:32 PM
~opens beer~ Oh come on, I was just getting entertained.

And I actually noticed yesterday that a lot of forums call pictures of cars "Photo Shoots". It is a sad day.

Why don't you contribute instead of sitting back?

A.P. Photography
12-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Why don't you contribute instead of sitting back?

I have already stated my opinion and agree with Jaime. He is doing just fine on his own and I agree with what he has said so far so no need for me to jump in. :goodjob:

CHADbee
12-02-2008, 09:33 PM
A photo shoot is generally used in the fashion industry, whereby a model poses for a photographer at a studio where multiple photos are taken to find the best ones for the required brief. A model is not always a person however there are sometimes when a photo shoot of a food for a magazine is done showing characteristics for commercial use .

so if i take pictures of jessica simpson for a cd cover in the garden thats in the back yard her bazillion dollar house, i want to make that clear that is NOT a photo shoot.

yes i was getting paid, yes it was planned ahead, yes i took many hours in set-up, yes it was used to promote her as a artist but it was not in a studio so it isnt a photo shoot.

im sorry its a tad silly to me, but it is what it is. thats the definition of it and theres no point in arguing over it.

.blank cd
12-02-2008, 10:21 PM
A photo shoot is generally used in the fashion industry, whereby a model poses for a photographer at a studio where multiple photos are taken to find the best ones for the required brief. A model is not always a person however there are sometimes when a photo shoot of a food for a magazine is done showing characteristics for commercial use .

so if i take pictures of jessica simpson for a cd cover in the garden thats in the back yard her bazillion dollar house, i want to make that clear that is NOT a photo shoot.

yes i was getting paid, yes it was planned ahead, yes i took many hours in set-up, yes it was used to promote her as a artist but it was not in a studio so it isnt a photo shoot.

im sorry its a tad silly to me, but it is what it is. thats the definition of it and theres no point in arguing over it.It is pretty silly. Trying to define such a general term. The elitists shall define it how they wish. I really dont care. Its a word. Theres plenty of other words being slung around here that need such an accurate definition. Wanna ban me for using it the wrong way, be my guest. Im bout to do a photoshoot of my sack here in a minute and post it up in car pics

uproot
12-02-2008, 10:30 PM
This thread is like the Gravina Island Bridge.

CHADbee
12-02-2008, 11:12 PM
It is pretty silly. Trying to define such a general term. The elitists shall define it how they wish. I really dont care. Its a word. Theres plenty of other words being slung around here that need such an accurate definition. Wanna ban me for using it the wrong way, be my guest. Im bout to do a photoshoot of my sack here in a minute and post it up in car pics
thats life, its like saying obama is black or HKS exhaust is JDM or a 2000 honda civic coupe is a EK or putting silva badges on a 240 thats had a RHD conversion.

it is what it is and its not changing.

a really bad ass 240sx with a rhd conversion, te37's, bride seats, stance coilovers, everything super baller parts is not not JDM cause it was made in the USA, its still a 240sx which is not JDM at all

its the same thing, somewhat. by definition a photo shoot is what i posted in bold. just like that 240 is not jdm at all, not one bit.

now if i have a paid shoot like the G and Z club, ill still cal that a photo shoot, am i wrong? yes. do i give a fuck? no. do other people give a fuck? maybe, maybe not, i dont care.

and tha 240 is JDM as fawk in my eyes too, even though its not

ok my head hurts

CHADbee
12-05-2008, 07:49 PM
i just want to put it out there that i was just booked for a photoshoot with a car.

yes it will be used to promote a company

hahahahahaaaaaa

photo shoot with a car!!!! nah nah a boo boo!!!!

A.P. Photography
12-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Whatever lol.

CHADbee
12-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Whatever lol.
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

no really guys LOL if im taking pictures of the shop car to be used for advertisement for the shop then its a photoshoot right? dont deny me of this pleasure!!!!!

:lmao:

A.P. Photography
12-05-2008, 08:12 PM
ok ok. You can call it a CAR shoot. hahaha

.blank cd
12-06-2008, 08:15 AM
The photo gods have spoken

Elbow
12-06-2008, 02:44 PM
If I take my car, and a cheap digital camera to some place to take pics, I just did a photoshoot. Plain and simple.

quickdodge®
12-06-2008, 04:09 PM
If I take my car, and a cheap digital camera to some place to take pics, I just did a photoshoot. Plain and simple.

You can call it whatever you want. Just doesn't make it so. Lolol. Later, QD.

james
12-06-2008, 04:19 PM
this thread is full of fail.

instead of correcting people on the terminology, I'd prefer to see more critique. I am incredibly sick of seeing people's photo threads get responses like "sick pics dawg", ...etc.

its really fucking annoying.

EDIT: Especially when the pictures really fucking suck.

bandydesign
12-06-2008, 04:40 PM
ok ok. You can call it a CAR shoot. hahaha

That would involve guns :fire:

Photoshoot

The word is defined as taking photos. It is a word made from the combination of two. Its connotation should be towards the fashion industry as intended, but here is the truth, it covers a wide range of photography. Think about this, once a vehicle has 4 wheels and complies with the regulations to be defined as a "car" it is a car. There is no major regulation I am aware of for photoshoots. Yes, as Ferrari, you would be very unhappy to hear that a pinto with all its body panels missing is still a car, the same classification as a Dino and an Enzo, but that's life. Also, I understand your frustration and I see value in this thread, but if you think you are going to make IA serious and convince the members to constantly use proper terminology you have one hell of a battle ahead of you.

All that being said, I will be more careful how I use that word on the business side of my photography.

SenorJ
12-06-2008, 05:26 PM
yo guys, i did a photoshoot of my car today.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y229/JaredLowery/GTI%20MK5/GTIbadge-scopy.jpg

I used photolamps and everything, flash and all. It's a photoshoot. I did it for myself for free.

quit bitching, it's a fucking word.
everyone... stfu.

A.P. Photography
12-06-2008, 05:50 PM

instead of correcting people on the terminology, I'd prefer to see more critique. I am incredibly sick of seeing people's photo threads get responses like "sick pics dawg", ...etc.

This is IA, it will always be responses like that. If you want anything different you will have to get on a photography site. :goodjob:

SenorJ, who cares. :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

SenorJ
12-06-2008, 05:52 PM
wow dude, lololololololol. funny shit. :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:: lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::l mfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao: (gay.)
aren't you one of those that gets offended by the word photoshoot?
btw... stfu.

james
12-06-2008, 06:05 PM
This is IA, it will always be responses like that. If you want anything different you will have to get on a photography site. :goodjob:

SenorJ, who cares. :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

yo dawg, fer real! nice responze! +1000999

A.P. Photography
12-06-2008, 06:12 PM
wow dude, lololololololol. funny shit. :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:: lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::l mfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao: (gay.)
aren't you one of those that gets offended by the word photoshoot?
btw... stfu.

Look I could careless, go shoot your cars. Have fun. Call it a photo shoot if you want even tho to me it is not. And if you would read, I stopped even caring and was cracking jokes. So YOU STFU. :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

SenorJ
12-06-2008, 07:18 PM
i guess sarcasm is hard to see online. it must be hard being serious all the time.

.blank cd
12-06-2008, 07:42 PM

That's what I've been trying to tell these people!

SenorJ
12-06-2008, 07:52 PM
photoshoot.

get angry people, i said it.
defend the photographers honor.

Being serious now. Everyone in this thread is correct. The word is just a word, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Calm down everyone.

CHADbee
12-06-2008, 10:00 PM
photoshoot.

get angry people, i said it.
defend the photographers honor.

:rant: :rant: :rant:

:lmao:

imbosile
12-23-2008, 09:49 AM
First off, I completely agree with the "photoshoot" word getting thrown around way too much. I agree that it's very annoying.

But... I don't agree with what you were saying about how bad it is for people to take photos for free, since it floods the market and drives down your prices. If you are going to charge for something that someone can otherwise get for free, then you need to be offering them something of which they are willing to pay for... photos that are just that much better than what they can already get. Photos that make them think "wow, I haven't seen that kind of quality anywhere else."

I don't think you can get mad at other people legitimately stealing your business. Just my opinion though.

CHADbee
12-23-2008, 10:44 AM
i went and did a photoshoot sunday of some cars, in the middle of PP and resizing for 6x4 promotion cars to be made for the shop. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot. photoshoot.

CHADbee
12-23-2008, 10:45 AM
First off, I completely agree with the "photoshoot" word getting thrown around way too much. I agree that it's very annoying.

But... I don't agree with what you were saying about how bad it is for people to take photos for free, since it floods the market and drives down your prices. If you are going to charge for something that someone can otherwise get for free, then you need to be offering them something of which they are willing to pay for... photos that are just that much better than what they can already get. Photos that make them think "wow, I haven't seen that kind of quality anywhere else."

I don't think you can get mad at other people legitimately stealing your business. Just my opinion though.
oooohhhh he called you people bitchs and said your mothers were whores!

imbosile
12-23-2008, 11:32 AM
oooohhhh he called you people bitchs and said your mothers were whores!

Hahaa hey now, I'm not trying to start anything!

A.P. Photography
12-23-2008, 01:36 PM

We can argue this till the end of time but what it boils down to is "when you DO start charging for shoots, you will see where we are coming from". Off to enjoy so beer and my new/old 5D Classic. :D

imbosile
12-23-2008, 01:58 PM
We can argue this till the end of time but what it boils down to is "when you DO start charging for shoots, you will see where we are coming from". Off to enjoy so beer and my new/old 5D Classic. :D

Whatcha drinkin'?

CHADbee
12-23-2008, 02:25 PM
this is true, it frustrates me

:fire:

A.P. Photography
12-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Whatcha drinkin'?
Heini :D

imbosile
12-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Heini :D

That's actually one of the few beers I've never tried. Newcastle ftw!

Tarzanman
02-12-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm gonna disagree. If Joe-sixpack with his $450 used SLR, IS f/3.x zoom lenses, and 2 weeks experience is giving you pros a run for your money then you need to either:
1. Get a lot better at what you do
2. Make sure that you educate your customers as to *why* they are paying you big $$$

It happens with my company all the time. We have competitors constantly trying to get jobs we are specified on by undercutting the price and claiming that their product is basically the same. Its the job of our salespeople and representatives to make sure that the people in charge understand what the real differences are and the advantages they get from a higher quality product. Occasionally the competition will succeed and get a few breadcrumbs, but more often than not, they don't. That is why they still remain the lower price, lower quality competition.

If you are in business for yourself then you already know that whatever it is you do... half your job is to be a good salesperson. Don't hate on your less skilled, lower priced (or sometimes free) competitors. Hate on how easy it is to get into the photography game. All you need is a computer and $500 worth of equipment and a little bit of know-how.

I'd be ashamed if some no-name hobbyist was better than me at what I do for a living.

CHADbee
02-12-2009, 07:08 PM
PHOTOSHOOT

YokotaS13
02-13-2009, 05:44 AM
woot,
i win. im number two