PDA

View Full Version : Brother's DSM looking for an affordable tuning solution

rrutter81
11-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Brother got a dsm and doesnt want to pay the 500ish bucks for dsmlink + socketed ecu. So he is looking at a greddy e-management system that supposedly piggybacks on the existing one.

Just curious if anyone had any comments on this system or heard anything good/bad about it? Dont want him to pay 300 bucks for a system and then have to resort back to dsmlink because it wasnt up to snuff.

thanks
-russ

Bridged
11-17-2008, 11:52 AM
I would pay the extra 200 for the dsmlink. If it's not a 18g or bigger turbo just run a SAFC and a datalogger. Also you can get your ECU socketed and chipped at dsmchips.com.

SAFC+datalogger+EGT = works wonders for a big 16g and below car.

rrutter81
11-17-2008, 12:05 PM
i agree as i paid over 500.00 for mine as well, however he wants to budget everything.

Bridged
11-17-2008, 12:55 PM
What turbo? And does he have a SAFC already?

I mean if he is building a dsm with a 18g turbo or bigger. Budget the mangement is a bad idea. DSM's make most of there power from there tuning. Spending alto of money on parts and skimping out on the management will hurt the car's power alot, and you might run into issues you dont want.

Like I said before though, if he is running like a big 16g or smaller upgrade, then he atleast needs a datalogger to get a good tune out of it. I just a SAFC on a 16g then got a egt and datalogger and dyno tuned it an got alot more whp and a better curve. Tuning matters alot to the 4G63.

If he is running a small turbo like a 16g then have him look up MMCD. Then buy a palm for like 30 bucks and a egt gauge.

MMCD /w palm
SAFC
EGT
^ good cheap tuning combo

If his setup is a 16g with 550cc injectors a cheaper route would be a 2GMAS for the car. You can get about 15PSI out of that setup without it running too rich or lean.

Stormhammer
11-17-2008, 01:25 PM
You want cheap? Get a wideband o2 sensor/gauge, 3" GM MAS, and a MAF-T. Not as accurate as an SAFC, but its a good start.

rrutter81
11-17-2008, 02:44 PM
already told him to get a wideband and explained u have to pay to play but he wants to do what he can within his budget. we'll see how this e-manage piggyback works. supposedly i can tuned the timing, ifr, maf, etc but im still skeptical of piggyback systems.