PDA

View Full Version : Autoblog Poll: In what spec racing series would you want to race?

EJ25RUN
11-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Autoblog question.

So you have a dilemma. You've got an itch for racing sports cars and cash to burn. Taking on Porsches and Ferraris in the GT2 category sounds fun, but the competition is pretty stiff and a spec series with a level playing field sounds more appealing. What are your options? If Porsches are your thing you might want to try the Porsche Supercup, featuring the 911 GT3 Cup, that runs in support of Formula 1. Rather go Italian? You can race an F430 in the Ferrari Challenge in North American, European, and Italian series, or try your hand in the brand new Lamborghini Super Trofeo series racing the Gallardo. American muscle more your style? You can race the FR500S Mustang in the Ford Racing Mustang Challenge at eight of America's best race tracks. We think each of them sounds like a ton of fun, but tell us which one you would pick in the poll below.

1. Porsche Supercup
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/10/ferrarichallenge2008_007.jpg

2. Ferrari Challenge
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/10/ferrarichallenge2008_05.jpg

3. Lamborghini Super Trofeo
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/10/lambotrofeoaction_06.jpg

4. Ford Mustang Challenge
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/03/fr500s_deliv_miller_20.jpg

Elbow
11-15-2008, 09:13 PM
That's a TOUGH decision.

For driver enjoyment? A series like Ferrari Challenge is AWESOME. But insanely expensive. Basically you buy a car, a Ferrari certified dealer takes care of it, trailers it, etc. You play high roller pro race driver for a weekend. The racing is close, you are driving a Ferrari, and they BEAT eachother UP. I have never seen an event with so many banging and wrecks..lol.

But then again Porsche Supercup is awesome. You are also playing big time driver, at huge events, at sexy tracks. The cars are a blast I had the chance to drive a older Cup car and def. had a ball in that.

I don't know much of anything about the Lamborghini series.

The Mustang Challenge is cool, but I wouldn't pick it.

So from THOSE options, I am going to go with Ferrari Challenge honestly. If money wasn't an issue and I just wanted to have fun, i'd go with that. The competition is close, nobody is pro in it, and you are treated like GOD even if you suck. Really though the series is GREAT and everyone goes WAY above to treat you like Schumacher.

If I was looking to move higher up the racing ladder, I would chose Supercup for sure.

Spec series FTW.

EJ25RUN
11-15-2008, 09:21 PM
That's a TOUGH decision.

For driver enjoyment? A series like Ferrari Challenge is AWESOME. But insanely expensive. Basically you buy a car, a Ferrari certified dealer takes care of it, trailers it, etc. You play high roller pro race driver for a weekend. The racing is close, you are driving a Ferrari, and they BEAT eachother UP. I have never seen an event with so many banging and wrecks..lol.

But then again Porsche Supercup is awesome. You are also playing big time driver, at huge events, at sexy tracks. The cars are a blast I had the chance to drive a older Cup car and def. had a ball in that.

I don't know much of anything about the Lamborghini series.

The Mustang Challenge is cool, but I wouldn't pick it.

So from THOSE options, I am going to go with Ferrari Challenge honestly. If money wasn't an issue and I just wanted to have fun, i'd go with that. The competition is close, nobody is pro in it, and you are treated like GOD even if you suck. Really though the series is GREAT and everyone goes WAY above to treat you like Schumacher.

If I was looking to move higher up the racing ladder, I would chose Supercup for sure.

Spec series FTW.

The Lamborghini series has yet to start and the Mustang one isn't as old or as prestigious.

Im split between the Porsche cup and the Ferrari challenge.

I do feel i would choose the Porsche Cup because it is a more professional series and many of its drivers move up to become single seater or sports car talents. Most recent is Danny Watts entering A1 GP.

JITB
11-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Id go with the Ferraris, they just seem like they would be a blast to get on a track where they are not normally able to be due to the owners. Than id go with the mustang 2nd, im not realyl a porsche/lambo man..

Elbow
11-15-2008, 09:23 PM
The Lamborghini series has yet to start and the Mustang one isn't as old or as prestigious.

Im split between the Porsche cup and the Ferrari challenge.

I do feel i would choose the Porsche Cup because it is a more professional series and many of its drivers move up to become single seater or sports car talents. Most recent is Danny Watts entering A1 GP.

Yeah I agree, if I was trying to move up (which I am) if I had the chance to choose it'd be Porsche. For overall fun factor Ferrari.

dazn
11-15-2008, 11:10 PM
If I had to choose from these 4, then it would hands down be Porsche Cup.
even though they are all pretty much a series full of well off gentlemen drivers, the porsche cup is the only one that is consistently with a larger race series, like ALMS in the US, and F1 in Europe. I see a whole lot of torn up Porsches coming in on rollbacks when Im working in the paddocks. same went for the ferrari challenge races ive seen and worked.

If I could choose any other spec series, it would be IMSA Lights or open wheel, like Formula Mazda or even Formula 3. something with lotsa downforce.

SampaGuy
11-17-2008, 11:48 AM
I saw that same exact lambo running at hockenheimring. The porsche cup cars seemed to be faster. Id go porsche 1st, ferrari 2nd, then lambo, then mustangs.

Actually Im almost 100% the pic of the lambo you posted was taken at hockenheim, and possibly that same day, because during the noon break of the DTM race the lambo was driving around behind a audi wagon with a photographer taking pictures from the trunk

wannab20hatch
11-17-2008, 12:35 PM
I chose the lambo challenge. just the thought of being the first series champion is kinda cool.

OneSlow5pt0
11-17-2008, 01:38 PM
i think id rather run in the mustang one,i think id be more comfortable

EJ25RUN
11-17-2008, 01:41 PM
I saw that same exact lambo running at hockenheimring. The porsche cup cars seemed to be faster. Id go porsche 1st, ferrari 2nd, then lambo, then mustangs.

Actually Im almost 100% the pic of the lambo you posted was taken at hockenheim, and possibly that same day, because during the noon break of the DTM race the lambo was driving around behind a audi wagon with a photographer taking pictures from the trunk

\/ Hockenheimring sign. :goodjob:
http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq16/EJ25RUN/lambotrofeoaction_02.jpg?t=1226950791

SampaGuy
11-17-2008, 02:06 PM
\/ Hockenheimring sign. :goodjob:
http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq16/EJ25RUN/lambotrofeoaction_02.jpg?t=1226950791

Haha awesome. I was there. Those pictures are on autoblog?

EJ25RUN
11-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Haha awesome. I was there. Those pictures are on autoblog?
Where do you think i got the thread idea :tongue:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/15/poll-in-what-spec-racing-series-would-you-want-to-race/

Here are there results thus far.

Porsche Supercup 2298 (27.5%)
Ferrari Challenge 3149 (37.6%)
Lamborghini Super Trofeo 1898 (22.7%)
Ford Mustang Challenge 1026 (12.3%)

EJ25RUN
11-17-2008, 03:32 PM
i think id rather run in the mustang one,i think id be more comfortable

Im assuming you mean your front engined rear wheel drive experience. Good way of looking at it. It wouldn't be smart to jump in a 911 without being very accustomed to its driving habits.

Elbow
11-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Yeah first time I drove a Porsche I quickly realised it's a little different lol

alpine_aw11
11-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Hmmmmm I think I would have to say Porsche. I'm starting to like the feel of a mid engine car since I got my mr2 last week. Surely a race built Porsche would be insanely different but I would still love doing it. Ferrari would be next, then Mustang, then Lambo.

DVSRX-7
11-25-2008, 05:02 PM
FERRARI CHALLENGE!! of course, i have always loved Ferrari's!.. Porsche, Lambo's, and Mustang's just dont have what Ferrari has and thats pure class and power...