PDA

View Full Version : Misc New Inexpensive Desktop Computer For Mom, or fix?

AirMax95
11-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Ok, so her birthday is Monday and her current desktop computer is outdated and slow as crap. She does not need a super gaming computer, nor does she need tons of memory. All I need is the computer, no monitor or mouse. I prefer a new one w/ warranty and everything, just beacuse its my mom, lol.

Is it cheaper to "upgrade/fix" her current desktop, or buy an inexpensive one from Walmart/CCity/Best Buy/Frys/brandsmart? All I would need is MS Office.

I can't remember what she currently has, but its my old.

Thanks in advance

~Tereance

gtrmonkey
11-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Well office is pretty expensive it like a 100 bucks(Does she use the computer for work if not, Torrent it). Anyways is her computer Atx or a BTX Case. Because if it btx that mean that you are probably better off buying a new computer. But if it ATX then you can pick up a mother broad an processer combo with intergraded graphic for under a 100. Then ram is pretty cheap now so 2gb cost like 30 bucks. Also she going to need a Os System which is not cheap ethier (I would not recommend torrenting an os because of updates and such). All in all you going to spend about the same if you get the software legit.

AirMax95
11-14-2008, 11:15 AM
Well office is pretty expensive it like a 100 bucks(Does she use the computer for work if not, Torrent it). Anyways is her computer Atx or a BTX Case. Because if it btx that mean that you are probably better off buying a new computer. But if it ATX then you can pick up a mother broad an processer combo with intergraded graphic for under a 100. Then ram is pretty cheap now so 2gb cost like 30 bucks. Also she going to need a Os System which is not cheap ethier (I would not recommend torrenting an os because of updates and such). All in all you going to spend about the same if you get the software legit.

Well, I can easily get office no prob. I want to say that it is BTX. Its an older Emachine from maybe 2000-2001. She only uses it for email, MS Office, and solitare, lol. She is retired.

atlvi3tb0i
11-14-2008, 11:49 AM
if your think about a laptop i got a new dell inspiron 1525 for $450

fivex684
11-14-2008, 12:35 PM
You should be able to build one for about the $300. An Intel E5200 $80, Cheap mobo $50, 2 Gig's of ram $50 and a cheap hard drive $50 and a Coolermaster Centurion 5 with power supply is about $80 shipped.

gtrmonkey
11-14-2008, 12:37 PM
She does need a new desktop, personally I would wait until black friday at Frys because they always have a crazy good deal on Desktop that day. But if you had to get some thing now? I would look for a dell premotetion. OR get her a netbook like a msi wind or Asues EEE PC

VQ35 Star
11-14-2008, 03:00 PM
^word, black friday ftw, i'm also waiting until then to build a new set-up.