mikesEK
11-13-2008, 02:24 PM
hey guys I'm about to purchase a 2003 track edition 350z
and it pretty fairly priced (from a friend) has 50kmiles

before I buy it I wanted to check with you guys who know
about them or have owned them to see if they're good cars
just like to know general stuff

do you or did you love yours?
can you beat up on'em with about to many problems?
they good solid RELIABLE cars?
the motor & tranny hold up OK?
((someone told me they need alignments a lot is this true))
I hope that's not true because the Z has 19" staggered
offset wheels and im sure tires aren't cheap

if i don't purchase this car I'll prolly get a G35 which believe is the
same damn car ((MOSTLY))

thanks for any help guys

Tracy
11-13-2008, 02:27 PM
I know Dan wanted one bad that or a G35. That's all I know. To me it must be pretty cool. Dan takes 5 years to do research on which can of corn he wants to buy...so that might tell you something. LOL! I think they are pretty similar cars, the Z and the G, I think the infinity is geared toward a higher priced market than the Z. Kind f like Toyota and Lexus. Lots f the cars are similar, just badged differently.

mikesEK
11-13-2008, 02:31 PM
thanks Tracy.....I want yer cake ;-)

Nissan Sean
11-13-2008, 02:35 PM
i have an 04 1/2 350Z... and yeah i love it..ive had zero issues with my Z at all.. yes they ar reliable- motor and tranny. as far as the alignments.. the 03 350z's had something called " tire feathering" which would cause the tires to not last very long..can be fixed by proper alignment.. not a biggie..

but it is an amazing car.. handles awsome,god power,lots of torque, beautiful styling, decent on gas mpg..
and the steering is great, you can really feel everthing perfectly.. i reccomend the car highly.

s far as the g35 its a heavier, slower, worse handlng, fancier car..but very similar. GL

DieselNuts
11-13-2008, 03:14 PM
DO NOT BUY......imo of course, but the G/Z VQ engines are notorious for oil consumption problems. I also had my TPS go out on my G but thank god it was under warranty. I was gonna have to buy a $400 throttle body to fix it. Also, I went through FOUR (4) transmissions. @ $2200 a pop + labor, Im sure the total was over $10K. Luckly all that was under warranty also.

You must get aftermarket adjustable pieces to get the suspension aligned properly even with all factory settings. If it is lowered, its even worse.

Does it have the Brembo package? I hope not because 1 rotor from the dealership is $575. I got all 4 of mine from Stillen for $900. Also, the factory pads and front rotors only lasted 24K miles. My clutch also went out at 48K miles but I have heard of them going out as soon as 11K miles and not covered under warranty because its a "wear" part.

Nissan left a bitter taste in my mouth so I highly doubt I will ever own another one...

mikesEK
11-13-2008, 03:21 PM
wow i loved what NISSAN SEAN said.....and hate what DEISELNUTS said!!

4trannies under warranty???? is that even possible? WTF where you doing?
revving the car to 6500rpm n dumping the clutch at every redlight?:thinking:

mikesEK
11-13-2008, 03:25 PM
yes the car is lowered with hocthikis 1inch non ajustable lowering kit

DieselNuts
11-13-2008, 03:33 PM
wow i loved what NISSAN SEAN said.....and hate what DEISELNUTS said!!

4trannies under warranty???? is that even possible? WTF where you doing?
revving the car to 6500rpm n dumping the clutch at every redlight?:thinking:
lol, not even close. I did a lot of research before I bought the car looking into warranty info, TSBs and recalls. The thing you need to remember is that 03 was the first year of a new model car. They always have bugs to work out. The problems with the transmissions gradually got less and less through out the years.

When I bought my car, it had 12K miles on it. There was a slight grind going into 3rd and 5th gear so I took it to the dealership, they checked it out and said I needed a new transmission. Well that one lasted untill about 50K miles when it just decided to completely decintigrate (sp) 5th and 6th gears. Seriously, I was driving completely normal heading to the gas station to get some sunday beer. It drove fine on the way, but on the way back I was doing about 50mph, shifted to 5th, released clutch, hit gas and got nothing but a free rev in return. I shifted to 6th and got the same thing.

The transmission that took the place of the above tranny had a horendous gear whine. Honestly, it sounded like a Honda in reverse in every gear. I went back to the dealership and they replaced that one also.

Im not trying to be a stick in the mud about these cars, but if you had the experiences I had, you wouldnt be so quick to jump in another one either...

mikesEK
11-13-2008, 06:31 PM
i dig you bro thanks for the input

AnthonyF
11-13-2008, 06:45 PM
I drove Kayfunks and like it a lot.

All I really know is....my pick-up pulls more G force than a 350 and G35. :goodjob:

-Ant.

DirtyMechanic
11-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Dnuts i think it was the way you drove... im on my 3rd... but then again i just have now have the CD009 tranny... you have to push the clutch in all the way then you shift....lol

DirtyMechanic
11-13-2008, 06:46 PM
I drove Kayfunks and like it a lot.

All I really know is....my pick-up pulls more G force than a 350 and G35. :goodjob:

-Ant.are you sure little boy... is that your first pickup... aww... how cute.... lol:boobies:

BobbyFresco
11-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Why does it seem like the G had more issues than the Z?
I mean, same motor, same tranny, right?

RL...
11-13-2008, 07:11 PM
i know they both have vq35's, the tranny I'm not sure if they're the same or not.....I know they have different chassis though...

DirtyMechanic
11-14-2008, 02:09 AM
Why does it seem like the G had more issues than the Z?
I mean, same motor, same tranny, right?because the asshats that drive them complain about every little tick tap rattle whine and creek...

BeyondaGrave
11-14-2008, 02:50 AM
I used to have an 04 Enthu Roadster and loved the stock sound/torque. The only problem I really had was the brake dust. That thing would black up after a day of driving. If your planning to mod in the future go TT. NA mods didn't do much of a difference. Check out www.my350z.com (http://www.my350z.com) I use to be on those forums a lot to see whats new. I would love to get a Z again especially those 07/08 models :yes:

Nissan Sean
11-14-2008, 02:59 AM
DO NOT BUY......imo of course, but the G/Z VQ engines are notorious for oil consumption problems. I also had my TPS go out on my G but thank god it was under warranty. I was gonna have to buy a $400 throttle body to fix it. Also, I went through FOUR (4) transmissions. @ $2200 a pop + labor, Im sure the total was over $10K. Luckly all that was under warranty also.

You must get aftermarket adjustable pieces to get the suspension aligned properly even with all factory settings. If it is lowered, its even worse.

Does it have the Brembo package? I hope not because 1 rotor from the dealership is $575. I got all 4 of mine from Stillen for $900. Also, the factory pads and front rotors only lasted 24K miles. My clutch also went out at 48K miles but I have heard of them going out as soon as 11K miles and not covered under warranty because its a "wear" part.

Nissan left a bitter taste in my mouth so I highly doubt I will ever own another one...

lol.. for one you had a g35-not a Z.. they are similar, but not the same and many times they dont have the same issues.. the tire feathering isnt nearly as bad as people make it out to be.. and the oil consumption was rare on the 03's and 04's.. it came with the rev up engine in 05... as far as trannys.. dont drive like an ass hat and you will b fine.. the clutch is a bit difficult to get used to on the 350Z.. has a really late engagment point.. can be adjusted though..

but every car( expecially sports cars) have issues the 350z isnt nearly as bad as a mustang(lol) like i said earlier, ive had mine for almost 2 years now-zero problems... but GL on getting a Z.. they are great cars..

mikesEK
11-14-2008, 07:21 AM
I THINK im gonna scoop it!.......I got a qoute from state farm! the Z is $108 a month and the G is $68 a month :thinking: i just figured itd be the other way around

DieselNuts
11-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Dnuts i think it was the way you drove... im on my 3rd... but then again i just have now have the CD009 tranny... you have to push the clutch in all the way then you shift....lol
I only drove the car hard when it was on the second tranny. The third & forth got babied and they aquired their problems on their own.

lol.. for one you had a g35-not a Z.. they are similar, but not the same and many times they dont have the same issues.. the tire feathering isnt nearly as bad as people make it out to be.. and the oil consumption was rare on the 03's and 04's.. it came with the rev up engine in 05... as far as trannys.. dont drive like an ass hat and you will b fine.. the clutch is a bit difficult to get used to on the 350Z.. has a really late engagment point.. can be adjusted though..

but every car( expecially sports cars) have issues the 350z isnt nearly as bad as a mustang(lol) like i said earlier, ive had mine for almost 2 years now-zero problems... but GL on getting a Z.. they are great cars..
The G and Z are damn near identical when it comes to drivetrain and suspension and have the same problems. Please prove me wrong on that.

The tire feathering is as bad as people make it out to be. When a car is 100% factory and has an alignment that is 100% within factory specs, the damn thing shouldnt be feathering/cupping the tires.

I've read many problems with oil consumption in the 03-04. The reason I read into it is because I was having the problems in my 04.

Also, how can you say "dont drive like an asshat and you'll be fine" when talking about the transmission? The reason they replaced mine NO QUESTIONS ASKED is because there are KNOWN problems with them (I even took the Technical Service Bulletin to them and they kept it in my file for future reference). I mean shit, the 3rd tranny was only in for 1K miles and when I picked it up, I asked "how did you fix it"? & Bryce (great service writer @ Infiniti of Gwinnett btw) said "we replaced it".

These cars are really hit or miss. I have read many threads of people getting theirs lemon lawed and even more trying and failing because the miles were past 15K (or something like that.)

Oh, and I've had 2 mustangs and not one has given me a single problem :tongue1:

About the insurance, the G is cheaper because less kids drive/wreck them when compaired to the Z. The G crowd is a more mature, older crowd....well, it used to be before the prices dropped into the mid teens...

Oh, one more thing....The advice I got from a self proclaimed "#1 Nissan Fanboy" would be taken with a grain of salt...but thats just me.

DieselNuts
11-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Oh yeah, good luck to you if you decide to buy it. I hope you dont have the problems I had.

VQ35 Star
11-14-2008, 02:23 PM
I've had my z for a bout a year, and I love the new vq35hr.

My buddy has a 03 hes had it since it came out and still has it. (around 170,000 miles on it) He has had ZERO problems, the tire feathering he fixed with an alignment like the 1st month he had it and ever since then it has never come up.

The only problem I have with my Z right now is not enough money to mod! its expensive (to me atleast) But I think performance parts for the 03s are much cheaper than the 07 HRs.

DieselNuts
11-14-2008, 02:29 PM
I wouldnt say "much cheaper", but you do have one additional intake you are dealing with...

VQ35 Star
11-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Yea, I payed around $430 for the dual JWT popchargers. and for some nice test pipes they are around $500 :(

DieselNuts
11-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Yea, I payed around $430 for the dual JWT popchargers. and for some nice test pipes they are around $500 :(
WOW! That much for test pipes??? How much are high flow cats going for?

VQ35 Star
11-14-2008, 03:03 PM
around the same I believe. BUt I'm waiting for them to fix the CEL problem they are having.

Nissan Sean
11-14-2008, 03:04 PM
I only drove the car hard when it was on the second tranny. The third & forth got babied and they aquired their problems on their own.

The G and Z are damn near identical when it comes to drivetrain and suspension and have the same problems. Please prove me wrong on that.

The tire feathering is as bad as people make it out to be. When a car is 100% factory and has an alignment that is 100% within factory specs, the damn thing shouldnt be feathering/cupping the tires.

I've read many problems with oil consumption in the 03-04. The reason I read into it is because I was having the problems in my 04.

Also, how can you say "dont drive like an asshat and you'll be fine" when talking about the transmission? The reason they replaced mine NO QUESTIONS ASKED is because there are KNOWN problems with them (I even took the Technical Service Bulletin to them and they kept it in my file for future reference). I mean shit, the 3rd tranny was only in for 1K miles and when I picked it up, I asked "how did you fix it"? & Bryce (great service writer @ Infiniti of Gwinnett btw) said "we replaced it".

These cars are really hit or miss. I have read many threads of people getting theirs lemon lawed and even more trying and failing because the miles were past 15K (or something like that.)

Oh, and I've had 2 mustangs and not one has given me a single problem :tongue1:

About the insurance, the G is cheaper because less kids drive/wreck them when compaired to the Z. The G crowd is a more mature, older crowd....well, it used to be before the prices dropped into the mid teens...

Oh, one more thing....The advice I got from a self proclaimed "#1 Nissan Fanboy" would be taken with a grain of salt...but thats just me.

sounds like you just had a bad experience with nissan/inifinty product... that sucks... but the Z and g35 really dont really have any more issues than any other car... hopefully he doesnt have the same problems you had.. I have an 041/2 Z which was a mid year reproduction and it had all the issues fixed-maybe thats why i havent had any problems..idk... at the end of the day its his descion..

Frög
11-15-2008, 10:32 AM
lol @ thinking of buying a Z..

DieselNuts
11-15-2008, 03:55 PM
mine was actually 04.5 as well...

DirtyMechanic
11-16-2008, 02:24 AM
mine was actually 04.5 as well...im sorry WTF is up with people say i have a 04.5 or 03.5 WTF there is no difference just some updated parts for the tranny and center console...

DieselNuts
11-17-2008, 05:58 AM
im sorry WTF is up with people say i have a 04.5 or 03.5 WTF there is no difference just some updated parts for the tranny and center console...
the differences were made in the middle of the year. If someone was interested in buying an 03 G but wanted the nice center console, they wouldn't be looking for just an 03....I think its kinda stupid too, hence why I said mine was an 04 up until he got specific and stated 04.5.

DirtyMechanic
11-17-2008, 01:28 PM
its either a 03 or 04 ive never seen 03.5 or 04.5 at the dealer till i came on the boards... i think you g and z poeple that do it just to help you sleep better at night.

mikesEK
11-17-2008, 01:35 PM
the drivers window is screwed up!!
it'll roll down but not back up...he took it
by the dealer and they wanted like 500 to fix
it and said it was a common problem.

you guys know anything about that??

DirtyMechanic
11-17-2008, 03:41 PM
yeah window motor about 120 for the motor and you can do it yourself no problem. why dont you try to get some of the z and G boards to get a better feel for it instead of asking the infinite useless horrbile knowledge of IA...

DirtyMechanic
11-17-2008, 03:41 PM
yeah window motor about 120 for the motor and you can do it yourself no problem. why dont you try to get some of the z and G boards to get a better feel for it instead of asking the infinite useless horrbile knowledge of IA...

DieselNuts
11-17-2008, 03:45 PM
the drivers window is screwed up!!
it'll roll down but not back up...he took it
by the dealer and they wanted like 500 to fix
it and said it was a common problem.

you guys know anything about that??

Yep, got the dealer to fix both of those. Gotta love the warranty....too bad yours is expired...

BTW, the 03's had the most "common problems"... :(

Does the transmission grind at all? Like even slightly?

mikesEK
11-17-2008, 04:37 PM
yeah window motor about 120 for the motor and you can do it yourself no problem. why dont you try to get some of the z and G boards to get a better feel for it instead of asking the infinite useless horrbile knowledge of IA...lol prolly not a bad idea!!

mikesEK
11-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Yep, got the dealer to fix both of those. Gotta love the warranty....too bad yours is expired...

BTW, the 03's had the most "common problems"... :(

Does the transmission grind at all? Like even slightly?NOT EVEN....shifts super smooth