PDA

View Full Version : Bush Regrets "mission accomplished" banner, and other things

Vteckidd
11-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Nov. 12 (Bloomberg) -- President George W. Bush said he regrets the display of the ``Mission Accomplished'' sign as backdrop for a speech he gave about a month after the March 2003 U.S. invasion of Iraq.

``To some, it said, well, `Bush thinks the war in Iraq is over,' when I didn't think that,'' he said in a CNN interview today. ``It conveyed the wrong message.''

The sign was hung on the U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln on May 1, 2003, when Bush landed on the carrier wearing a flight suit to declare that major combat operations in Iraq were over. That speech has since served as a rallying point for critics of Bush's policies in Iraq.

Bush also cited other regrets in the CNN interview, which was conducted aboard the U.S.S. Intrepid in New York after a Veterans Day ceremony.

``I regret saying some things I shouldn't have said,'' Bush said. He cited comments he made after the Sept. 11 attacks, when he said of al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden: ``I want justice. There's an old poster out West that said, 'Wanted, dead or alive.'''

He also said he regretted telling Iraqi insurgents in 2003: ``There are some who feel like that the conditions are such that they can attack us there. My answer is, bring 'em on.''

`Be Careful'

In the interview yesterday, he said, ``My wife reminded me that, `hey, as president of the United States, be careful what you say.'''

Bush, 62, also described his Nov. 10 meeting at the White House with his successor, President-elect Barack Obama, and said he asked former President Bill Clinton for advice on handling the transition.

``It was interesting to watch him go upstairs,'' Bush said of Obama's visit. ``He wanted to see where his little girls were going to sleep. Clearly, this guy is going to bring a sense of family to the White House, and I hope Laura and I did the same thing. But I believe he will, and I know his girls are on his mind and he wants to make sure that first and foremost, he is a good dad.''

Bush said he would return to Texas when he hands over the presidency Jan. 20 and may write a book.

``I want people to know what it was like to make some of the decisions I had to make,'' he said. ``I've had one of those presidencies where I've had to make some tough calls, and I want people to know the truth about what it was like sitting in the Oval Office.''

Say what you want, but i look forward to his book. He is right, he may have had one of the hardest presidencies in the history of the USA. He had to make tough decisions and whether you like him or not its tought to judge what we would have done in his shoes

BABY J
11-12-2008, 08:28 PM
I agree to a lot, but I also think the a lot of the hardaches he faced were self-induced. But hindsight is always 50/50. I don't think he is a bad GUY, but he has/had no business being 1 of the most powerful men in the world.

DrivenMind
11-12-2008, 09:59 PM
If he writes a book I'll defiantly read it. I don't think he was a bad guy, just an average president in a situations that demanded an extraordinary one.

JITB
11-12-2008, 10:36 PM
i wish bush always acted like he has in the last year...lol

BanginJimmy
11-12-2008, 10:46 PM
If he writes a book I'll defiantly read it. I don't think he was a bad guy, just an average president in a situations that demanded an extraordinary one.

something we agree on.

Bush wasnt out to hurt the US or anything else he was blamed for doing. He simply wasnt the leader that the US needed him to be. Say what you want about his policies, but at the time they were at legitimate as any other. Say what you want about Iraq, but we will never know the whole truth about what as said in those top secret briefings. Say what you want about his foreign policy, but I actually liked the way he handled most of Europe. I thought we pandered too much to the European line of thinking in the 90's, and Bush's term changed that.

AlanŽ
11-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Say what you want about Iraq, but we will never know the whole truth about what as said in those top secret briefings.
Will you have my babies?