PDA

View Full Version : General Chat JDM or Poser?

tony
11-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Or do people use that term any more? JDM.. anyway, I wont give my opinion to preserve my bias.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9084/3508jq.jpg

I'll accept whatever label gets more votes

quickdodge®
11-10-2008, 08:56 PM
With a lack of another option in the poll, I guess it would be a poser. You bought your car as an Infiniti G35. You placed Skyline Badges on your car to give the impression that it's a Skyline. It is NOT a Skyline. Therefore, by default, you come out as a poser. It doesn't mean I don't like the car, I just think it's funny when people put badges on their car and tell people that's what they have and call it that. Acura folks do that. Place H emblems on their car and call them Honda Integras. Later, QD.

JITB
I think its appropriate. i dont see nothing wrong with badging a car what it is in another country...as long as it actually is.... i like the "350GT" and the "350 TT" i thought he was referring to a Z, than i saw the 350 GT badge... very clever...lol

But it does kind of look like yours with different wheels

04sleepa
regardless the car is sex man. how about a 3rd option? lol

JITB
11-10-2008, 08:58 PM
With a lack of another option in the poll, I guess it would be a poser. You bought your car as an Infiniti G35. You placed Skyline Badges on your car to give the impression that it's a Skyline. It is NOT a Skyline. Therefore, by default, you come out as a poser. Later, QD.

even if its the same car?

quickdodge®
11-10-2008, 08:59 PM
even if its the same car?

It didn't/doesn't say Skyline on the title of his car does it? Later, QD.

Elbow
11-10-2008, 09:00 PM
I don't think either option counts, just badging it's just a thing. If memory serves right the Skyline in Japan that style is the exact same as a G35 anyway right? So...just switching badges.

Deke
11-10-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm not a fan of it, just like people who put Honda badges on an Acura. But I don't think it's horrible. It's just something that I would never do to my own car.

JITB
11-10-2008, 09:02 PM

Nope...But if your goin for the JDM look..than this would be what you would do right?

Crazy Asian
11-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Well to my car honda accord is the Honda inspire in Japan. Almost identical so if I wanted to switch out the badge I would. If I a Acura TSX though Id just leave the emblem as Acura.

quickdodge®
11-10-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm not a fan of it, just like people who put Honda badges on an Acura. But I don't think it's horrible. It's just something that I would never do to my own car.

Exactly. It's not that big a deal. Kind of one of those petty, useless peeves that's not really worth arguing over, lolol.

Nope...But if your goin for the JDM look..than this would be what you would do right?

I spose so. Still not a Skyline, though, lolol. Later, QD.

JITB
11-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Exactly. It's not that big a deal. Kind of one of those petty, useless peeves that's not really worth arguing over, lolol.

I spose so. Still not a Skyline, though, lolol. Later, QD.

i badged my protege as a Familia....so i guess im bias...lol
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/jitb37/Protege/stuff553dfdf001-1.jpg

But i see your point as well. Id consider someone trying to push a 6cyl mustang as a v8 a poser.. or a Na supra telling everyone its TT..

quickdodge®
11-10-2008, 09:10 PM
But i see your point as well. Id consider someone trying to push a 6cyl mustang as a v8 a poser.. or a Na supra telling everyone its TT..

Exactly on that note. Later, QD.

Terror
11-10-2008, 09:14 PM
i think its appropriate, to me it falls into the same category as most other ways of "car styling". I think it would be too far if they referred to it as a skyline, which it is not obviously. "JDM" is a car styling trend, it sort of adds to it i agree with it some dont.

Elbow
11-10-2008, 09:15 PM
To me it's cool just so people who aren't into cars don't understand what's going on lol

EJ25RUN
11-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Poser is buying something that is definetly fake and claming it as something else.

A G35 is a Skyline V35. Marking it as something different was the whole point of JDM to me.

So no. Not a poser.

I guess i'd call it a poser if it was any other car and had skyline written on it.

Terror
11-10-2008, 09:20 PM
^^ word

YokotaS13
11-10-2008, 09:37 PM
actually, it is the same
down to damn near everything

in japan they were NA on the V35s, and in the states they are Non turbo. same body, same everything.....same engine as well, vq35de

alpine_aw11
11-10-2008, 09:41 PM
I don't care. Would never do it, but whatever. Who gives a shit. As long as it isn't like the aforementioned trying to pass off a v6 stang as a GT or something.

FasTech
11-10-2008, 09:44 PM
I don't like it, not the car, but the idea of false badge'n! If its a G35 then thats what it is... don't try passing it off as a Skyline.

tony
11-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Not defending it because I have another with zero plans to change badges regardless of what I do to it this time around. But..

http://www.nihoncar.com/en/review-332-X.html

Motivation
11-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Well, I'm not going to say you are a poser cause technically it could always be said that is what it is in Japan. But in the same sense, all these people that put "JDM" things on their "USDM" honda's aren't turning their cars JDM. They are just adding parts. The car will STILL REMAIN USDM. But yet, they call out other people for not being "JDM" when in fact, they are at fault of this also. But, you done it because YOU like it, not to make people think that you shipped the car from Japan or anything. Either way, I love that car. It's definately hot!!!

Kaiser
11-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Infiniti G35 vs. Nissan Skyline 350GT Coupe.

Differences? Badging. Want proof? http://www.infiniti.co.uk/g37-coupe.html

Know what that is kids? That's a RHD G37 coupe. It is indentical to a Skyline 370GT Coupe. Even down to being RHD. If a guy in England wants to badge his RHD G37 Coupe with it's Japanese name, Skyline 370GT Coupe, is he more or less a poser than a LHD G37? The same argument goes with the G35. Whether it's LHD or RHD, you can call it what you want, it's just a name change for marketing reasons, not an actual model difference. Another example of this is continental Honda Accord Euro R's. They are nearly identical to our TSX over here, including drive-side. Why not rebadge if you want?

There are some cars that are honestly not the same between their different versions, there are others (Like the Mitsu GTO/3000GT) that were changed because GTO was a trademarked name over here that they just couldn't use.

I'm only trying to defend rebadging on the merits of the fact that the cars are identical. What name you wanna put on it is the same as taking the name off entirely. This is not calling the G35 coupe a GT-R. This is not calling a V6 Mustang a GT or a Shelby or anything else.

Fr33way
11-10-2008, 10:49 PM
I feel the same as was mentioned about Honda/Acura badging which is general indifference when it is the same chassis (or at least based). Now GT-R badges on a Maxima or Type-R badges on a CRV get the boot!

OnURleft
11-10-2008, 11:44 PM
With a lack of another option in the poll, I guess it would be a poser. You bought your car as an Infiniti G35. You placed Skyline Badges on your car to give the impression that it's a Skyline. It is NOT a Skyline. Therefore, by default, you come out as a poser. It doesn't mean I don't like the car, I just think it's funny when people put badges on their car and tell people that's what they have and call it that. Acura folks do that. Place H emblems on their car and call them Honda Integras. Later, QD.

I agree with you but I also have other thoughts on it. Acura and Infinity are nothing but marketing scheme's in America to sell more cars. RSX's and G35's are nothing but Honda's and Nissan's badged in a way to make American's believe they are truly individualistic of their mother brand when they are one brand everywhere else. They were designed by honda/nissan, funded by hondad/nissan, built almost identically and just re-badged for marketing sake. They are the same car...just about. In that respect I don't have any hate for people who do it but I just wouldn't do it myself.

R32Dragon
11-11-2008, 12:23 AM
I voted poser simply for the fact that the G35 Chassis in itself is a poser for being badged as the Skyline in Japan. It was built on the Z chassis, not the beloved R chassis that we all know and love.

But with that said, I really like G35's and plan on getting one as a daily real soon.

DB4LYFE ™
11-11-2008, 12:26 AM
HONDA INTEGRA FTW!

~DB4LYFE

EP3sAreFun
11-11-2008, 01:19 PM
lol if i badged my starion as a Starion 2600 GSRVR everyone would assume thats just how it came.

Sammich
11-11-2008, 01:28 PM
me gusta

Kaiser
11-11-2008, 02:53 PM
I voted poser simply for the fact that the G35 Chassis in itself is a poser for being badged as the Skyline in Japan. It was built on the Z chassis, not the beloved R chassis that we all know and love.

But with that said, I really like G35's and plan on getting one as a daily real soon.

To be consistent, this means that cars built before the R31 aren't skylines either? Funny, I distinctly remember...the first GT-R wasn't even on an R-chassis. In fact it was the PGC-10, as a sedan. The first GT-R wasn't even the long-bodied coupe that everyone is stuck on seeing. The KPGC-10 GT-R Hardtop Coupe came second.

Funny, how moving from the KPGC-10 to the R34 is seen as linear advancement, and for some reason moving to a more modern and arguably more nimble chassis design with the Advanced Front Midship program somehow makes it a step backwards. Oh, and technically the AFM program was not intended for the 350Z, as the concept at the time of the AFM can show you, (See the 240Z concept car). The 350Z and Skyline 350GT Coupe were designed side-by-side more than anything else.

The G35 is just as much a skyline as the 350Z is a Fairlady. Nissan LONG AGO decided that americans did not like "Feminine names" for their car models. Examples: Silvia (200sx/240sx) Lucino (200sx, Sentra, SE-R) Bluebird (Sentra, SE-R), Skyline (G35), Leopard (M30) Fairlady (1600/2000 Roadster, 240/260/280Z,280ZX, 300ZX, 350Z). Those names as well as the names that Nissan thought sounded "Too Japanese" or "Too Controversial" (Fuga, President, Primera, others) All got changed for marketing reasons only, some of them received different engines for America because of emissions rules, but that wasn't why the name got changed. Toyota has done the same thing with Crown, Celsior, Aristo, Altezza, others.

The point is, what's in a name? It's all in what you want to call it. The only people who're fooled into thinking that a name means much when it comes to cars is exactly the people that the Infiniti/Lexus/Acura brands are shooting at.

Elbow
11-11-2008, 02:57 PM
^Ownage

Ran
11-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Poser is buying something that is definetly fake and claming it as something else.

A G35 is a Skyline V35. Marking it as something different was the whole point of JDM to me.

So no. Not a poser.

I guess i'd call it a poser if it was any other car and had skyline written on it.:werd:

Atlblkz06
11-12-2008, 11:16 AM
doesn't matter cuz either way its a loser!

Atlblkz06
11-12-2008, 11:18 AM
To be consistent, this means that cars built before the R31 aren't skylines either? Funny, I distinctly remember...the first GT-R wasn't even on an R-chassis. In fact it was the PGC-10, as a sedan. The first GT-R wasn't even the long-bodied coupe that everyone is stuck on seeing. The KPGC-10 GT-R Hardtop Coupe came second.

Funny, how moving from the KPGC-10 to the R34 is seen as linear advancement, and for some reason moving to a more modern and arguably more nimble chassis design with the Advanced Front Midship program somehow makes it a step backwards. Oh, and technically the AFM program was not intended for the 350Z, as the concept at the time of the AFM can show you, (See the 240Z concept car). The 350Z and Skyline 350GT Coupe were designed side-by-side more than anything else.

The G35 is just as much a skyline as the 350Z is a Fairlady. Nissan LONG AGO decided that americans did not like "Feminine names" for their car models. Examples: Silvia (200sx/240sx) Lucino (200sx, Sentra, SE-R) Bluebird (Sentra, SE-R), Skyline (G35), Leopard (M30) Fairlady (1600/2000 Roadster, 240/260/280Z,280ZX, 300ZX, 350Z). Those names as well as the names that Nissan thought sounded "Too Japanese" or "Too Controversial" (Fuga, President, Primera, others) All got changed for marketing reasons only, some of them received different engines for America because of emissions rules, but that wasn't why the name got changed. Toyota has done the same thing with Crown, Celsior, Aristo, Altezza, others.

The point is, what's in a name? It's all in what you want to call it. The only people who're fooled into thinking that a name means much when it comes to cars is exactly the people that the Infiniti/Lexus/Acura brands are shooting at.

Thats a lot of info right there - thanks! :cheers:

blackboi50
11-12-2008, 11:19 AM
i just bought SRT badges :D:D......1

Sammich
11-12-2008, 11:25 AM
chk my savannah pics u white blackie

BobbyFresco
11-12-2008, 11:30 AM
No, not a poser.

OneSlow5pt0
11-12-2008, 11:48 AM
does it go both ways though............like turning a camaro Z28 into a RS?

redrumracer
11-12-2008, 12:13 PM
is it a skyline?

just because you call a cow a horse doesnt make the cow a horse.

Elbow
11-12-2008, 12:21 PM
^It's the EXACT same as a Skyline except not rhd. It's not like calling a cow a horse it's like calling a Acura a Honda.

redrumracer
11-12-2008, 01:07 PM
^It's the EXACT same as a Skyline except not rhd. It's not like calling a cow a horse it's like calling a Acura a Honda.
but there is a difference.

ok lets use a better example, a mule, its part horse and part donkey, but its called a mule.

Elbow
11-12-2008, 01:09 PM
The difference being what side the steering wheel is on? In that case a Japanese Civic should not be called a Civic...

redrumracer
11-12-2008, 01:12 PM
The difference being what side the steering wheel is on? In that case a Japanese Civic should not be called a Civic...
no the manufacturer titles the car as they want it to be titled and thats what it is.

Elbow
11-12-2008, 01:15 PM
...so? lol. a G35 and a Skyline is the same CAR, just different badging for different markets.

cdhtang
11-12-2008, 01:33 PM

Well, it is just marketing for nissan to set the V35 skyline to be a infiniti G35 to make people feel it is a more luxury car. It is like you whether tell people you drive a toyota or lexus, same with infiniti and nissan, and honda and acura.
The car's chassis code is V35, which is the nissan skyline in Japan, or Infiniti in North America. There is nothing wrong if the people put the parts from the same car from the other side of the world into their car, since they are technically the same car. The name of the car on the title doesn't mean anything, it is just how the dmv wants call or identify the car. If you want to check out the integra, it does use the name of Honda on various parts of the car, so nothing wrong with the H emblem on integra.
About the tag, the 350 tt doesn't fit, unless it is twin turbo setup.

tony
11-12-2008, 01:40 PM
About the tag, the 350 tt doesn't fit, unless it is twin turbo setup.

Yes, it was.

Homer Simpson
11-12-2008, 02:07 PM
If your car is not RHD, than its not jdm.

Although, people still go for the JDM "look", including me, simply because it looks better and its makes the car different to a certain extent.

Soooo, in the long run, its a poser, but its still has the JDM look.

Flame suit on.

Sammich
11-12-2008, 02:09 PM
its makes the car different to a certain extent.

Flame suit on.

YEA UR GONA NEED TO PUT ON TWO FLAME SUITS, CUZ 'DIFFERENT' AND JDM IS ALMOST NO SUCH THING, ESPECIALLY IN THE HONDA WORLD

Homer Simpson
11-12-2008, 02:11 PM
YEA UR GONA NEED TO PUT ON TWO FLAME SUITS, CUZ 'DIFFERENT' AND JDM IS ALMOST NO SUCH THING, ESPECIALLY IN THE HONDA WORLD

i understand! It is very cliche nowadays and anybody with a ebay lip with painted hubcaps are "JDM."

But, c'mon dude, there are people that do it right.

RL...
11-12-2008, 02:12 PM
a name is a name...what really matters is the car itself......

BobbyFresco
11-12-2008, 02:27 PM
I look to look at it as the owner returning the car to its roots, so to speak.
The car is a Nissan rebadged as an Infiniti. It was built side by side I'm sure, with its bretheren, and shipped over here to be sold to dumbass, impressionable ppl that want the "distinction" of driving a "luxury" automobile.

OneSlow5pt0
11-12-2008, 02:40 PM
replace a acura badge with a honda,all it does is lower the value of the car.....same as making a lexus into a toyota etc.

DrivenMind
11-13-2008, 01:15 AM

Pretty much summed it up there. I think part of the JDM rebadging thing is for us American import fiends to feel like we're finally getting our hands on the cars that we've drooled over for so long. In the 90's we had started getting the platforms, but not the motors, and now we're starting to get the whole mechanical package, and you could say that it's like converting your car back to it's original name, because on many of the cars today there is no difference anymore. To some twisted people it's ditching the marketing bullshit, and going back to your cars roots.

fivex684
11-13-2008, 10:07 AM

Well said. That is how I fell about it also.

Sammich
11-13-2008, 10:09 AM
i understand! It is very cliche nowadays and anybody with a ebay lip with painted hubcaps are "JDM."

But, c'mon dude, there are people that do it right.

i'm not saying there arent pple that do it right, cuz ive seen multitudes of those who do it right, but to be different??!?!? its hard to do nowadays

NAIZBST
11-13-2008, 10:16 AM

mine came with an H so I guess I am a poser

K20Z1
11-13-2008, 10:54 AM
i have a H on my rsx..but not integra lol

VQ35 Star
11-13-2008, 11:36 AM
but there is a difference.

ok lets use a better example, a mule, its part horse and part donkey, but its called a mule.

no no no, its like in europe they call it football, but we call it soccer, same thing but different name.

Kaiser
11-13-2008, 06:34 PM
no no no, its like in europe they call it football, but we call it soccer, same thing but different name.

Actually, this is one of the most logical and emotionless posts so far.

He is dead on too.

Atlblkz06
11-16-2008, 10:27 AM
So a JDM Civic isnt the same as an american civic? WTF

1SICKLEX
11-16-2008, 03:15 PM
The car is a Skyline, just brought here and rebadged as a G35. This continues with the new G37, which is still a Nissan Skyline. One of Infiniti's struggles is it continues to not seperate itself from NIssan.

http://cars.optzile.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/i9.jpg
http://www.nissanfanseite.de/Wallpapers/Nissan-Skyline-Coupe-03b.jpg
http://s2.desktopmachine.com/pics/Nissan_Skyline_Coupe_2008_01_1024x768.jpg
http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/nissan_skyline_launched_5.jpg

The G35 interior was bashed pretty hard for being "a Nissan". If you look, you will notice the seat controls were basically under your butt on the inside (not the outside like all other cars) and the center console's knob buttons were on the right side of the dash, instead of the left side. This was obvious cost-cutting to bring the Skyline here as a G35.
http://images.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0509_10z%2B2005_infiniti_g35_sedan%2Binterior. jpg

Personally I much PREFER the car called what it is, Nissan Skyline. I love the name and heritage. The name Infiniti G35 really does nothing for me.

So to me, once he completes anything else that can be converted, yeah its JDM!!!

slimm
11-19-2008, 07:49 AM
i say poser only b/c a true skyline, price wize, would cost a tad bit more strait from across the water. she still sexier den a muffukka though, no doubt.

Kaiser
11-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Actually you're way off base about that. If you factor OUT all the import costs involved in bringing a JDM car over (Which are just about the same if you wanna bring a Nissan Cube over too) and keep it to just base prices, the Skyline is LESS expensive comparatively to it's Infiniti up-market brother. Lexus has done the same thing with the Toyota Avalon and the Lexus ES330. They fit the same bill, can come equipped with the same features, have the same engine and drivetrain, have similar wheelbases, are built on a shared modular frame, and are BOTH available in America. The Avalon costs less than the Lexus ES. Why? You're buying a Lexus bro.

slimm
11-19-2008, 09:59 AM
good to kno info. preshate it pimpn. that being said, my vote is neutral.

jonathanjone
11-19-2008, 10:57 AM
i think this is relevant. i stole it from wikipedia.

in June 2001, was based on Nissan's FM platform (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_FM_platform), shared with the Nissan 350Z (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_350Z). The Nissan Skyline used a front-midship engine (VQ35DE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VQ_engine)), rear-wheel drive layout[18] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_skyline#cite_note-17) (all-wheel drive was available for the sedan) to achieve a 52%/48% weight distribution. The V35 was the first Skyline made for export to the United States. There it was sold under the company's luxury brand, Infiniti as the Infiniti G35 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infiniti_G35).

The V35 was a major turning point for the Skyline. There was no straight 6, no turbo, and no GT-R. Nissan put a slightly more powerful VQ35DE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VQ_engine) in the 350Z (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_350Z), and although the Skyline and the 350Z shared the same platform, the 350Z had additional bracing, underbody aero parts, and weighed 100 kg less.[19] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_skyline#cite_note-350Z-18) Japanese tuners mostly ignored the V35 Skyline, the 2006 Tsukuba Super Lap Battle had not a single V35 entrant.[20] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_skyline#cite_note-tuner-19) Tuners such as Mines, Amuse, Hosaka, Garage Defend, M Speed, Nagisa, MCR, HKS, & Top Secret continued developing R32-R34 GT-Rs. Top Secret did tune a V35, but they replaced the VQ35DE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VQ_engine) with a VK45DE V8 Twin Turbo.[21] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_skyline#cite_note-topsecret-20) Signal USA entered a V35 in Formula D, replacing the VQ35DE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VQ_engine) with an SR20DET (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_SR_engine).[22]

im not going to put a silvia badge on the 240 b/c it doesnt have a sr20det in it. but if it did and was rhd. id slap a badge on it.

Kaiser
11-19-2008, 08:58 PM
im not going to put a silvia badge on the 240 b/c it doesnt have a sr20det in it. but if it did and was rhd. id slap a badge on it.

But the only difference between a V35 Skyline and G35 Coupe is driver side.

Why wouldn't you change the badge if that was the only difference on your 240sx?

I mean hell...there's not even an interior difference!

tony
11-19-2008, 09:26 PM

Why wouldn't you change the badge if that was the only difference on your 240sx?

There are LHD Skylines (Europe)

jonathanjone
11-19-2008, 11:30 PM

for fear of being called a poser lol

toxxxic
11-20-2008, 03:04 AM
I think its stupid. We're in America. Not Japan.

It's a G35. Not a Skyline.

That's like taking your Ford Taurus & putting Mercury Sable badges on it. Come on now.

EJ25RUN
11-22-2008, 06:18 PM
I think its stupid. We're in America. Not Japan.

It's a G35. Not a Skyline.

That's like taking your Ford Taurus & putting Mercury Sable badges on it. Come on now.

So if i were to fly a G35 over to Japan i'd have to re badge it? :thinking:

I dont know where you people are getting your info but its time to switch.

Julio
11-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Same car.... all about marketing.

Nope.. not a poser.

Kaiser
11-23-2008, 09:16 AM
There are LHD Skylines (Europe)

Correct, in fact I already mentioned that. I suppose I could have been more clear in stating: The only difference between a G35 and a "JDM" V35 Skyline would be RHD v. LHD. Of course if you shipped a G35 over to europe, you could park side by side with an identical V35 Skyline and the argument becomes really pointless.

My reply is simple: Badge it however you like. It's your car, and on the car we're talking about from the picture, it's not like any of them came STOCK from the factory with a twin turbo setup.

1SICKLEX
11-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Correct, in fact I already mentioned that. I suppose I could have been more clear in stating: The only difference between a G35 and a "JDM" V35 Skyline would be RHD v. LHD. Of course if you shipped a G35 over to europe, you could park side by side with an identical V35 Skyline and the argument becomes really pointless.

My reply is simple: Badge it however you like. It's your car, and on the car we're talking about from the picture, it's not like any of them came STOCK from the factory with a twin turbo setup.
Exactly and as I stated, they didn't even try to make it different. The console and seats ARE THE SAME.

tony
11-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Just a side story, when I was into that people from Japan would contact me because they wanted to badge their V35 Skyline as an Infiniti G35.

Depe
11-23-2008, 01:05 PM
honda guys do the same thing and put the "h" on the integra's. so same difference

Sauljr219
11-28-2008, 04:42 PM
nice

DVSRX-7
11-29-2008, 02:30 AM
man if your fucking vin number doesnt have anything to do with japan itself then your not JDM for shit.. all these new cars are either american made or canadian made.. so i guess just the old skool jap car owners are the real JDMers right?

toxxxic
12-04-2008, 04:07 PM
So if i were to fly a G35 over to Japan i'd have to re badge it? :thinking:

I dont know where you people are getting your info but its time to switch.

no. it would be a G35. because its FROM america. it's left hand drive. therefor it is a G35.

Kaiser
12-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Toxxxic: G35's in Continental Europe are Lefthand Drive as well. Does that make them american?

DriftJunior: G35's are made in Japan. You're quickly turning into more of an ignorant putz than I had first imagined.

chameleon30038
12-04-2008, 10:23 PM
I think badging a car can be appropriate if done correctly and accurately. It boils down to working within the law and your limits since U.S has these b.s import laws as far a vehicles are concerned. i'm sure if he could have bout the real thing from the dealer instead he might have....but people settle with just labeling them accordingly.

chameleon30038
12-04-2008, 10:26 PM
all these new cars are either american made or canadian made.

/\/\/\/\ IGNORANCE /\/\/\/\

toxxxic
12-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Toxxxic: G35's in Continental Europe are Lefthand Drive as well. Does that make them american?

no. it's a european g35 ... lol i don't see whats so hard to understand about my point of view.

if you want to import a rhd skyline from japan, then feel free to call it a skyline & leave it badged as a skyline...

but if you go down to your local infinity dealership and buy a g35, then low & behold it is a G35 :goodjob: if you didnt import a skyline from japan, it aint a skyline! ;) what does your car's title say? it says G35. not skyline.

just like if you buy a lexus sc400 & put toyota soarer badges on it, it's still a lexus sc400! ;) just like my previous point, would you put mercury sable badges on your ford taurus?? nah.

who gives a fack? srsly.

jdmda9
12-12-2008, 01:06 PM
so in that case whats the difference between having a U.S.D.M title that says "Acura Integra Type R" and a J.D.M title that says "Honda Integra Type R?" does it make people "posers" when they put H badges on a U.S.D.M ITR when they are basically the same car with some changes between them??? :screwy: :screwy: :screwy: :screwy: !

YoshiFD3S
12-21-2008, 10:49 AM
The car looks awesome.

Of course it's poser-ish to put Japanese badging on an American vehicle...but at the same time, that's pretty much what the word "JDM" means.. when it comes to making a car "JDM"...

It means that you are installing upgrades, either performance-wise or cosmetically that are typically found only on the vehicle, were it sold in Japan.

To keep this simple..."JDM" in my mind means "poser". Not in a negative way, though.

It comes down to each person's interpretation of what they consider "JDM" to even mean. How can you be "JDM" but not be a poser? Eh?

Gutling
12-21-2008, 11:08 AM
different badge than what it rolled out of the factory with = posing. It may be 99% identical to its jdm counterpart, but if it don't say it on the title its not that. Honda badges on acura = gay posing. Silvia on 240sx = gay posing. Skyline on g35 = gay posing. SS badges on a z28 = gay posing.
If you ship your g35 over to japan, guess what. it does not magically become a skyline, its still a g35. If it came out of the factory with a 350z badge on it instead of a fairlady, then its not a fairlady, its a 350z.

chaseamundo
12-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Poser...but still sexy....

Kaiser
12-21-2008, 05:20 PM
no. it's a european g35 ... lol i don't see whats so hard to understand about my point of view.

if you want to import a rhd skyline from japan, then feel free to call it a skyline & leave it badged as a skyline...

but if you go down to your local infinity dealership and buy a g35, then low & behold it is a G35 :goodjob: if you didnt import a skyline from japan, it aint a skyline! ;) what does your car's title say? it says G35. not skyline.

just like if you buy a lexus sc400 & put toyota soarer badges on it, it's still a lexus sc400! ;) just like my previous point, would you put mercury sable badges on your ford taurus?? nah.

who gives a fack? srsly.

What's hard to understand is that you're assigning some magical quality to names that somehow change what a car IS. A V35 Coupe is a V35 Coupe. Period. A Z33 is a Z33. It's more poser to assign some kind of mystical significance to names like Skyline/Fairlady and the Honda/Acura fight. Call it whatever you want to call it, it's not "Poser" in the way tony meant it when he asked the question. Poser is the Honda Civic with a GT-R badge on it's front grill I saw yesterday. Poser is the V6 Mustang with "GT" badges stuck on it. If the only difference between your Ford Taurus and a Mercury Sable was the badging, I would certainly feel that it's appropriate for you to change it if you wished. It's Ironic that we're hung up on this for cars that AREN'T different USDM/JDM, but cars like the Evo that we've gotten Gimpy versions of we're OK with still calling an Evo, even if some of the biggest qualities of the JDM Evo are gone. (Same with 240sx/Silvia fight, though a 240sx with a SR20DET/CA18DET and appropriate front end should have no insult thrown at it for being rebadged to Silvia/180sx)

gtrmonkey
12-22-2008, 12:28 PM
no the manufacturer titles the car as they want it to be titled and thats what it is.

Wrong, you can get just about any car titled as a kit car. Like the people that import Skylines R32. Just because the title sayes Kit Car doesn't mean it not a real Skyline.

Ed
12-22-2008, 12:43 PM
who cares, it's hot.

good job tony. cant wait to see this car in person.

Sport1.3
12-22-2008, 01:43 PM
i badged my protege as a Familia....so i guess im bias...lol
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/jitb37/Protege/stuff553dfdf001-1.jpg

thats cuz the Familia Garnish is so much hotter :D

Sport1.3
12-22-2008, 01:45 PM
caring about what other ppl do to their cars is the problem here

1SICKLEX
12-23-2008, 10:28 AM

who gives a fack? srsly.

They don't make or sell the G35 or Skyline in Europe. WTF?

Kaiser
12-23-2008, 07:25 PM
They don't make or sell the G35 or Skyline in Europe. WTF?

Lol wut? (http://www.infiniti.co.uk/)

Umn lawl? (http://www.infiniti.de/)

1SICKLEX
12-28-2008, 02:29 AM
Lol wut? (http://www.infiniti.co.uk/)

Umn lawl? (http://www.infiniti.de/)

Sorry you are wrong. We are talking about the G35/Skyline 350. It was never sold in Europe. Any there were gray cars imported.

Your links are for theNEW G37 and they only debuted this fall, as in 2 months ago.

Sales forecasts are very very low, 8,000-12,000 cars in Europe a year. With the global economy in the crappy, no image and average reviews recently in the Euro mags, as well as offering no diesels or hybrids, good luck.Their management is clueless.

tony
12-28-2008, 09:07 AM
who cares, it's hot.

good job tony. cant wait to see this car in person.

That car is long gone to Hawaii Ed, too much of a headache for me. I have another one now and torn between the decision to mod or just move up to something better. (wont be doing the Skyline thing again if I do mod)

Ed
12-28-2008, 11:18 AM
That car is long gone to Hawaii Ed, too much of a headache for me. I have another one now and torn between the decision to mod or just move up to something better. (wont be doing the Skyline thing again if I do mod)
aw that sucks well it was beautiful. lol

what would you consider something better?

Kaiser
12-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Sorry you are wrong. We are talking about the G35/Skyline 350. It was never sold in Europe. Any there were gray cars imported.

Your links are for theNEW G37 and they only debuted this fall, as in 2 months ago.

Sales forecasts are very very low, 8,000-12,000 cars in Europe a year. With the global economy in the crappy, no image and average reviews recently in the Euro mags, as well as offering no diesels or hybrids, good luck.Their management is clueless.

Ok, sorry. Didn't realize that we were ONLY referring to the exact generation in the picture. Considering the fact that other people were referencing OTHER generations, It's hard to keep track of what to argue with. Regardless the idea is the same. In England there are RHD V36 Skylines being sold as Infiniti G37 Coupes. The "Your car has to be RHD to be badged as a Skyline" thing kinda falls flat there, doesn't it? (Edit: Which you may/may not have been arguing for/against. I've long forgotten where anyone else was going with this, the point was that there are at the time we're arguing this, Skylines that are RHD that are badged as Infiniti G-series. Because of this, the argument of "Your Infiniti G-series must be RHD to be a Skyline" doesn't really add up. The whole point is that Infiniti was created by Nissan to work in the American market where people see Japanese car companies as just "Econobox" companies. Hyundai is currently undergoing the same problems the Japanese luxury cars first had ages ago, and has talked about going through with the same solution and splitting cars like the Genesis Sedan off into a seperate brand the same way that the Tiburon is sold in most countries as a Tuscani Elisa.)

Second: They seem to be selling in England. Dunno about the rest of europe.

EJ25RUN
12-28-2008, 02:24 PM
^ An entire brand being brought to a new a continenet is a bit different than just someone rebadging a car.

For one thing, there are going to be little differences on what is mandatory for a car to be allowed sale in its designated region. I think more and more cars are built with a global mind frame so they could be sold where ever but im sure even the Nissan 350 and Infiniti G35 had different things amongst themselves.

Is that to say both cars are the same? To an extent but im of the opinion that these little things dont drastically change the car so i say there are the same.

1SICKLEX
12-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Is that to say both cars are the same? To an extent but im of the opinion that these little things dont drastically change the car so i say there are the same.
Exactly.

With the Lexus IS 200/Toyota Altezza for example, they both debuted in Europe/Japan at the same time. The Altezza got an I-4 and the IS 200 got an I-6. We got the IS 300 with the 2JZ. At least the engines were different. Otherwise though, everything else was pretty identical.

Ok, sorry. Didn't realize that we were ONLY referring to the exact generation in the picture. Considering the fact that other people were referencing OTHER generations, It's hard to keep track of what to argue with. Regardless the idea is the same. In England there are RHD V36 Skylines being sold as Infiniti G37 Coupes. The "Your car has to be RHD to be badged as a Skyline" thing kinda falls flat there, doesn't it? (Edit: Which you may/may not have been arguing for/against. I've long forgotten where anyone else was going with this, the point was that there are at the time we're arguing this, Skylines that are RHD that are badged as Infiniti G-series. Because of this, the argument of "Your Infiniti G-series must be RHD to be a Skyline" doesn't really add up. The whole point is that Infiniti was created by Nissan to work in the American market where people see Japanese car companies as just "Econobox" companies. Hyundai is currently undergoing the same problems the Japanese luxury cars first had ages ago, and has talked about going through with the same solution and splitting cars like the Genesis Sedan off into a seperate brand the same way that the Tiburon is sold in most countries as a Tuscani Elisa.)

Second: They seem to be selling in England. Dunno about the rest of europe.
Actually we agree, I think a G35 here re badged as a Skyline is perfectly fine and I actually prefer it that way. I've already explained how the G35 doesn't change much anything from the Skyline.

The Skyline/GT-R/G35/37 are all built in the same factory on literally the same production line. You can see GT-Rs and Skylines and G37s all mixed together.

The GT-R has always been loved in Europe and especially the U.K. The skyline/G35 gets less love there. Infiniti has finally come to Europe and had made some adjustments from the US G37, including suspension tweaks and upgraded interiors. This pissed off some Infiniti owners here who are asking "why the hell does Europe get this stuff and not us, your biggest market".

tony
12-28-2008, 09:53 PM
aw that sucks well it was beautiful. lol

what would you consider something better?

Depends, it will be a graduation/military commission present to myself. Its between an M3 and S5.. love the style of the S5 but prefer the engine in the M3.

lowazzcord
12-28-2008, 10:27 PM

he speaks truth. but nice non the less

MrBoostedCRX
12-30-2008, 11:15 AM
what if it has a skyline motor?

4dmin
12-30-2008, 11:24 AM
i chose poser only b/c lack of options... JDM b/c a badge is kinda weak sauce in my mind. JDM title to me needs more then a badge. I think it would look better w/o any badges IMO

AirMax95
12-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Its called custimization to me.....no posing.

Hell, you know what the car is/isn't, and hopefully car enthusiasts do too.

If you are TELLING people its a Skyline, thats ghey. If you are custimizing the car to reflect the big brother, its cool.

Like, people put Type R wings on their LS integra....so? If that same person says its a Type R, punch them in the face, lol.

tony
12-30-2008, 12:56 PM
lol People who didnt know what it was would come up to me and ask if it really was a Skyline (as in R34, dont ask me why they couldn't figure it out) and I always explained that it is a G35 that has been rebadged.. which led to questions of why and blah blah.

This very thing was a long debate on the G35 boards. A lot of owners think its dumb, or degrading since Nissan is supposedly a lower tiered brand than Infiniti, while others are intrigued by the Skyline heritage.. then some people just want to be different and that was me.

Kaiser
12-30-2008, 06:28 PM
what if it has a skyline motor?

It does. The G35 had identical engines to it's Japanese counterpart, though in J-land it also had some smaller engine options because of local tax laws (2.5L VQ25DE sounds hot to me to be honest)

Its called custimization to me.....no posing.

Hell, you know what the car is/isn't, and hopefully car enthusiasts do too.

If you are TELLING people its a Skyline, thats ghey. If you are custimizing the car to reflect the big brother, its cool.

Like, people put Type R wings on their LS integra....so? If that same person says its a Type R, punch them in the face, lol.

I think your comparison misses a bit. The problem is that the Japanese Skyline V35 wasn't the "big brother" of the two, it typically came with smaller engines than the VQ35 since they were much less expensive to own, and most people didn't get the 350GT Coupe either. Even when they did, the 350GT Coupe didn't come with any features or functionality that the G35 didn't get. I know we're essentially agreeing on the fact that it's not "poser" in the sense that Tony meant it when he posted originally, not trying to argue with that, just the idea behind it so that maybe other people will see what we see.

Now, there used to be a phrase back in the late 90's early 00's called "J-spec" when getting parts from Japan was ridiculously expensive and thus real "JDM" parts sold over there had more meaning to it. Basically the same idea as the "E-code" parts for us Euros.

1SICKLEX
12-31-2008, 12:16 AM
lol People who didnt know what it was would come up to me and ask if it really was a Skyline (as in R34, dont ask me why they couldn't figure it out) and I always explained that it is a G35 that has been rebadged.. which led to questions of why and blah blah.

This very thing was a long debate on the G35 boards. A lot of owners think its dumb, or degrading since Nissan is supposedly a lower tiered brand than Infiniti, while others are intrigued by the Skyline heritage.. then some people just want to be different and that was me.

Skyline heritage>Infiniti heritage. Its not even close. You are right.

tony
12-31-2008, 07:49 AM
Skyline heritage>Infiniti heritage. Its not even close. You are right.

I think thats what disgusted me, a lot of Infiniti guys had this elite attitude toward Nissan.. like it was beneath them. Granted the service is 10x better at an Infiniti dealership, its nothing more than a marketing ploy.

AnthonyF
12-31-2008, 07:57 AM
I dont care how many JDM parts you have on a fuking car, if it is from over seas or the steering wheel isn't on the other side...that shit is:

USDM!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Ant.

Kevykev
12-31-2008, 11:52 AM
More options were needed Tony, I just saw this thread though lol.

Your car had great styling and performance but I know you know the true answer to your question. Does it matter? Not at all.

This is such a subjective thread for anyone to argue over it means that they are close-brained.

Kaiser
12-31-2008, 03:10 PM
More options were needed Tony, I just saw this thread though lol.

Your car had great styling and performance but I know you know the true answer to your question. Does it matter? Not at all.

This is such a subjective thread for anyone to argue over it means that they are close-brained.

So having opinions is close-minded now? Because I feel that a car's identity is based on something besides what the company uses as a marketing ploy selling in a "hostile" market that isn't their home? Feh.

wanger25
01-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Why the skyline badge. When you think of skyline thats not the car that comes to mind so its not a skyline.

sirkus
01-03-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm with QD on this one.. It's not right. It's almost like someone with a V6 mustang putting the GT500KR kit on it. Just because the car could share the same name somewhere.. it doesn't make it right. But then again, this g35 is a little more tasteful than most.. It's better than a huge GTR badge on the back of it.

Kaiser
01-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Why the skyline badge. When you think of skyline thats not the car that comes to mind so its not a skyline.

Ok, so I guess you think
http://www.autocult.com.au/img/gallery/full/AkinaGhost452.jpg
this looks nothing like a skyline either? It just SCREAMS Skyline to me. Let's be honest, not all Skylines are GT-R's, and it's one thing to be a GT-R fan, it's another entirely to be a true Skyline fan.

I'm with QD on this one.. It's not right. It's almost like someone with a V6 mustang putting the GT500KR kit on it. Just because the car could share the same name somewhere.. it doesn't make it right. But then again, this g35 is a little more tasteful than most.. It's better than a huge GTR badge on the back of it.

No, it's not at all the same as putting a GT500KR body kit and badging. It's as if the Mustang were sold as the Ford Juggernaut originally in another country with the exact same spec's then imported to america and rebadged as the mustang and you thought the Juggernaut name and badging fit better with your car, and you liked it better...Now do you see why your mustang comparisons simply don't work?

The only justifiable comparisons in this conversation are the Lexus/Toyota conversions, Other Nissan/Infiniti Conversions, Honda/Acura conversions, Renaming some VW's to their Euro names, the Tiburon/Tuscani Elisa, the new Pontiac GTO/Holden-Vauxhall Monaro, and other situations where the same car in two different markets carries a different name. Now your comparison could be correct if he had indeed PUT GT-R bading on it. He didn't. Skyline != GT-R. Lancer != Evo. Impreza != STi. Skylines Coupes have always been big beautiful sedan sized 2-door's. GT-R's are those same Coupes with a homologation-required aero/drivetrain package. The same way that STi and Evo came about.

Boost1995
01-12-2009, 09:16 PM
It's your car. Do what you like to it. As long as ur happy with it then F everybody else. Now I have an Eclipse GST and I put Evo 8 wheels on it, I love Evo's. When my turbo goes I'm putting an Evo 3 16G on it. Some will say my car isn't "JDM" bc it's made in the US others will respect how F-in clean the Evo stuff is on it. I don't care. Just be happy and mod to your taste. On a side note, I have been into cars for a LONG time and I have seen several trends in the Honda world. "JDM" styling has always been around. It's just the newest trend for most. It will be replaced one day and the "JDM" purists will keep their cars styled that way. The others will follow the flock and remod. I've seen it many times. One small example, Hondas used to be referred to as gen's or 92-95 etc, now there referred to as Chassis codes. Part of the "JDM" styling.

-Just mod to your taste and maybe someone will like it. Either way you win for doing what you love.

Enjoy

UpSideDownDesi
03-09-2009, 01:48 AM
i'll just say clean.

TougeGTR-33
03-09-2009, 01:31 PM
The only thing different about the car is the badges, and the left hand drive, (of course) but I think its fine to put those original badges on the car. Because That IS what the car really is.

Mr.Ek9
03-14-2009, 12:48 PM
The only justifiable comparisons in this conversation are the Lexus/Toyota conversions, Other Nissan/Infiniti Conversions, Honda/Acura conversions, Renaming some VW's to their Euro names, the Tiburon/Tuscani Elisa, the new Pontiac GTO/Holden-Vauxhall Monaro, and other situations where the same car in two different markets carries a different name. Now your comparison could be correct if he had indeed PUT GT-R bading on it. He didn't. Skyline != GT-R. Lancer != Evo. Impreza != STi. Skylines Coupes have always been big beautiful sedan sized 2-door's. GT-R's are those same Coupes with a homologation-required aero/drivetrain package. The same way that STi and Evo came about.

This ***** knows whats up. This is exactly how the whole JDM EDM UKDM CDM KDM........whatever badgeing can be described

4doortypels
03-20-2009, 03:16 AM
JDM = RICE

Humphrizzle
03-20-2009, 03:55 AM
the car is sexy.. i think it'd be dickish for anyone to disagree or call it anything but sexy.

Got Milk?
03-20-2009, 07:42 PM
so? i have sti badges all over my honda.

RL...
03-20-2009, 10:04 PM
My car was assembled in Japan.

Does that get me the off da chain mad tight dope baller status props? :rolleyes:

stevo_EF91
03-30-2009, 06:18 AM

i think its a little steep labeling it a skyline

stevo_EF91
03-30-2009, 06:18 AM
and your gt badge is crooked

On_Her_Face
03-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Or do people use that term any more? JDM.. anyway, I wont give my opinion to preserve my bias.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9084/3508jq.jpg

I'll accept whatever label gets more votes

Not a poser if it has balls :goodjob:

I always wanted my G35 to be like yours but white with gold volks.

DynamicSound
03-30-2009, 01:19 PM
I removed mine and replaced it with Skyline. It is the same car, just marketed different in different areas. Sold anywhere else, that is what it would be. Now, if I was planning to keep the car, I would actually debadge it completely because I perfer the cleaner look. Not sure why I did the Skyline thing come to think about it.

So in the end, do what you like and who gives a fuck what other people think. I think what would make you a poser is you asking what other people think then making the decision based on that. Like you are trying to fit in with others instead of being yourself.

Now, with all that being said...that license plate needs to go.

01CDMLUDER
03-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Who cares? Its a nice car. It's the same thing as rsx owners putting honda integra badges on their cars

SP33D FREAK
03-30-2009, 05:28 PM
look at this Mustake i mean Mustang trying to be a GTR? LOL wish I had gotten a side shot.. of his countless stickers up the door and GTR emblem on the sides...LOL
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ImportRacer2123/GTRmustang.jpg

DynamicSound
03-30-2009, 07:25 PM
It is not as bad as this 350z...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibG7N-CGa3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PlYlLaxV38&feature=related

Turbodude06
03-30-2009, 08:30 PM
I removed mine and replaced it with Skyline. It is the same car, just marketed different in different areas. Sold anywhere else, that is what it would be. Now, if I was planning to keep the car, I would actually debadge it completely because I perfer the cleaner look. Not sure why I did the Skyline thing come to think about it.

So in the end, do what you like and who gives a fuck what other people think. I think what would make you a poser is you asking what other people think then making the decision based on that. Like you are trying to fit in with others instead of being yourself.

Now, with all that being said...that license plate needs to go.

X2^ JDM=GAY:gay:

BURRITO_mike
04-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Lol, I'm just confused.

schia89
04-04-2009, 09:35 PM
if its not on the title then why do it dont know but not everyone has the same taste n styling