PDA

View Full Version : obdo-obd1 conversion

B_Hoov
11-08-2008, 03:58 PM
got a 91 hatch that is DPFI and odb0, pulled the motor, have another lil d series in it now but im unclear as to what needs to be accomplished as far as wiring goes, i have heard i need to run all my obdo stuff with the car and i can just run an obd1 ecu for tuning purposes, i have also heard since it is a dpfi can that i need to take out the entire cabin harness and find either an si or hf cabin harness and put that in it's place, i have also heard that as long as i have the obd1 motor harness i will be using and the obd1 ecu that i need nothing, someone clear this up for me, i want someone who has done this to comment, not someone who thinks they know what there doing! i would even be willing to tow the car somewhere to have it done if it can be done RIGHT and in a timely fashion! prefer to do this myself but...if it comes to it im sure i can work something out. :goodjob:

profwdcrx
11-08-2008, 05:36 PM
to be honest you can tune 0bd0 just like 0bd1, its just that more can be done with 0bd1. spoon and mugen use to chip ef's, so unless your going all out with tunning it will just be better to stay 0bd0 but if you want you can also get a jumper harness to plug a computer up. and a 0bd1 harness wont just plug up without alot of rewiring!

just do the mpfi conversion and get a jumper harness (about $175) and youll be set

B_Hoov
11-08-2008, 11:10 PM
yea im gong with a full custom tune, really good buddies with ED at balanced perf, no store bought chip is going to do for this one. when you say mpfi conversion are you referring to pulling mine out of the cabin and finding one to put in it's place? or just simply modifying the one i have? someone throw me a bone here, i have looked on ht but have found nothing that helps really....looking again!

green91
11-09-2008, 06:36 PM
If its a vtec engine you'll need to run wires for:

vtec selenoid (1 wire)
vtec oil pressure switch (2 wires)
heated o2 sensor (3 add'l wires - i opt to turn mine off with crome)
and youll need to preferably make a jumper for the obd0->obd1 dist plugs.

This is assuming you use a plug-n-play obd0->obd1 harness like i did. its piece of cake.

As far as MPFI, dont even think about swapping engine/dash harnesses, its REALLY not worth the trouble lol MPFI is a piece of cake, yank the entire engine harness out and run your mpfi & obd1 wires at the same time and re-tape it up. Ive done quite a few engine harnesses. I keep a few extra plugs laying around so I just add 1 additional connector at the passenger shock tower so the harness still can be disconnected like stock.

green91
11-09-2008, 06:40 PM
to be honest you can tune 0bd0 just like 0bd1, its just that more can be done with 0bd1. spoon and mugen use to chip ef's, so unless your going all out with tunning it will just be better to stay 0bd0 but if you want you can also get a jumper harness to plug a computer up. and a 0bd1 harness wont just plug up without alot of rewiring!

just do the mpfi conversion and get a jumper harness (about $175) and youll be set

have you actually used any of the obd0 tuning tools before? I was one of the very first guys in atlanta using turboedit, its nowhere near as good as obd1 tuning tools.

scttydb411
11-09-2008, 09:52 PM
have you actually used any of the obd0 tuning tools before? I was one of the very first guys in atlanta using turboedit, its nowhere near as good as obd1 tuning tools.

ditto on that...and it isn't advancing/updating anymore.

B_Hoov
11-09-2008, 09:59 PM
green91 what im hearing is as long as i have the obd1 ecu, dizzy, obd1 engine harness, and obd0-obd1 jumper harness i can do the rest??? would you be willing to give me a hand with this once i get the jumper harness? i'd be willing to ATLEAST compensate you for time+gas from coming down my way, i'm only 30-45 min from ya. it is a vtec motor and i have never used or attempted any obdo tuning

green91
11-10-2008, 07:47 AM
sure man id be glad to give you a hand

B_Hoov
11-10-2008, 09:53 AM
sure man id be glad to give you a hand

going to buy EVERYTHING to finish the motor from honda today, i'll get evrything on and bolted up and then i need to track down a Z6 harness and obdo-obd1 jumper harness and when i do i will hit you up through PM. really appreciate it man!

green91
11-10-2008, 11:17 AM
From the z6 harness all you really need are the injector plugs and we could wire the dist plug straight in also. what injectors do you plan on running? we may need to wire in the resistor box as well.

LIKEG6
11-10-2008, 11:40 AM
I got all my obd-0 to odb-1 wiring stuff from phearable and had it all workin in bout 30 mins. It's not very hard.

B_Hoov
11-10-2008, 02:59 PM
at the moment i will be running stock ones from a z6, and when i boost it i will be running RC1000cc peak and hold