PDA

View Full Version : Ask yourself one Question PLEASE!

Kevykev
11-08-2008, 07:31 AM
Forget about OBAMA, forget about Mccain, Forget about politics if at all possible.

Just ask yourself one question and Only to yourself which also means you don't even need to reply nor post.

Just ask yourself one question:

"Do you like to see yourself better off than the next man?" think about it, a better car, a better girl, a better home, a better portfolio, a better Life lol

This answer has a large effect on the things you do EVERYDAY, more than you know.

I will stay general in efforts to preserve my point.

But just ask yourself that question, your thoughts are encouraged, but not needed. :cheers:

Kevykev
11-08-2008, 08:02 AM
I used to be more selfish than selfless until I truly realized how fragile life is during college. I realized that all of the money, cars, big titles and other superficial things can be lost so easily. I realized what's truly important in life.

ironchef
11-08-2008, 09:22 AM
It depends on the context. When it comes to family and other related things, then yes I do. I would want them to have the most comfortable, healthy, worry free life I could provide. When it comes to material stuff, I couldn't give two shits about any of it besides cars, because I enjoy cars.

BobbyFresco
11-08-2008, 09:31 AM
I have caught myself in materialistic moments BUT I also balance it out by giving my time and money to causes which I believe in. I volunteer for the Boys and Girls club, I volunteer during Thanksgiving to help feed the homeless and I'm really bad about giving money to homeless ppl, even though I have no idea what they're using it for.
I may not do alot in comparison to some ppl but I grew up in a family where caring about others was a quality fostered from an early age. I think collectivelly as a country, we do not give a shit about our fellow man and that's sad. If everyone did one small thing for someone else once a day, we'd be a whole lot better off.

alpine_aw11
11-08-2008, 09:33 AM
The whole principle of a capitalist economy is to be able to further yourself as much as you can. Do I like to see myself better off than some? Not necessarily. But I want to get as far ahead as I possibly can. For me it is more of being better off in regards to my own life than actually comparing my success to that of others.

EJ25RUN
11-08-2008, 09:44 AM
No, most of the people i meet will never now what i drive unless they actually see me driving it.

I look at things in a different light. I don't look at what other people accomplish but what i have. My fight to succeed is with myself. I push to my own limits and the reward is personal satisfaction which is more that a girl or a material thing can give me.

I don't see cars as "his is better". As far as i'm concerned there are many people that would look at my car tastes and think...."what's wrong with him" but that is my life and my hobby and only i concern myself with it.

Girl....some of us get to the point where find a girl that is wife material and if she is good enough...fine. But i know this does not apply to every guy.

Again, i look at life as getting as much out of myself. I might be better off than some and worse off than others. I don't care about them though.

umairejaz
11-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Damn, I am selfish.

jwrape
11-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Yea, the context is important in this question.

If you are asking, do I see myself as higher or better person than John Doe that lives down the road, absolutely not. Matter of fact I am usually the person that tries to build up my friends and make their lives better.

If you are asking do I think I have been blessed with material and financial things more than some others. I do think I have been blessed and with that blessing I give back to others within charites and giving of my service when others need me.

BUT, there are people FAR more wealthy than I. Personally, I have a nice house and that's about it. But for that, I worked my A$$ off and built the damn thing myself and saved myself a fortune by building it with my own bare hands. One more reason why I deserve to own it, because I literally put my blood, sweat and tears in it and it all but killed me, almost broke my arm, almost got divorced and I lost 30 lbs working from the time I got off work till the early a.m. and then heading back into work at 5am again for 8 months.

So if I have more than my neighbor, well I worked for it, I didn't buy it, I built it as I think a lot more people should do and they would appreciate it more and try a lot harder to NOT let it go into forclosure because of all the hard work that went into those walls.

This is the angle I look at paying more taxes to give to the less fortunate. A lot, not all, of the less fortunate are ABLE bodied people that are sometimes just lazy and want free money, hell, who doesn't want free money, but my ambition prevents me from letting everything go back to the bank and just sitting around collecting a check from the government. I want more for myself.
Everything I have, I have worked HARD for and do not want anything or any President taking it away from me. I can't appologize for wanting to keep what is rightfully built and owned by me...:2up:

:D :D :D

jwrape
11-08-2008, 09:50 AM
giving my time and money to causes which I believe in. I volunteer for the Boys and Girls club, I volunteer during Thanksgiving to help feed the homeless and I'm really bad about giving money to homeless ppl, even though I have no idea what they're using it for.

Very commendable, seriously! :goodjob:

jwrape
11-08-2008, 09:57 AM
I look at things in a different light. I don't look at what other people accomplish but what i have. My fight to succeed is with myself. I push to my own limits and the reward is personal satisfaction which is more that a girl or a material thing can give me.

Yes, totally agree. I am in competition with myself. I don't care if you have something better than mine.

Cars: Well just as it was stated, if my cars look nice, it's because I like clean, tight cars. It is a hobby and a love, it's not to impress everyone because honestly, ever time a picture of your car or my car is posted, there are lover and haters of EVERY style car here. You can't make everyone happy. :cheers:

JITB
11-08-2008, 11:43 AM
I have never been "on top of the world" so they say, with everything, ive been comfortable for a while. But not for long...lol its too hard for me to be selfish towards people because i know for a fact that you can hit rock bottom in a matter of seconds..at anytime. And ive learned to never complain about stuff i have no control over.

But i also realized everyone has their problems. They might have a nice car, alot of money.. but have no life or no family to call their own. Or vice versa, or just be a fucked up person all around.

And also some people can do without alot of things i want in my life. So i can never judge, how someone lives their life. And some people need things that i can do without..But i did reach a point when i realized that life is fragile...and after that i changed the way i thought and what i did.

Bridged
11-08-2008, 12:10 PM
I don't. In todays world, must people don't get the chance to be better no matter how hard they work. I had to drop out of school at 17 and get a job to help my mom make bills so we didn't loose the house. Then got GED and never got to go to college or have the chance because I have either had jobs with really long hours or had to work two jobs to not be on the streets. I selected to help my mother through hard times and I would never take that choice back.

I admit I am jealous when I look over and see a 16 year old kid driving a z06 or a viper and know he didn't do shit, but win the i'm your son buy me stuff lottery. because I know in my life I will never own cars like that or drive them.

And if people say "get a better job omg" You try and find a job in all this mess. I know a friend that has busted his ass trying to find a job since July with HSD. It's not easy. 30k people just lost there jobs is Columbus, GA where I live. I am up in Ohio with distant family seeing if there is anything up here.

Also, I like to point out the only thing I have ever "taken" from the government is my own unemployment that I have learned. And to be honest if anyone hasn't seen that you make from that it's a joke. 150-200 a week for only 2-3 months doesn't do shit when you are out on your own with no help.

I know loving motorsports doesn't help my income at ALL, but I love it. It's me. If I had to choose motorsports or eating good I would choose motorsports. Hell I live out of my turboII for 2 months before when I got laid off. I would rather die than give up motorsports.

Hell must parents don't even stress how much school is important to there kids. Is that the kids fault. Hell no.

I just think if people like Viva La bam can get rich for smashing stuff and own 5+ nice cars and a huge awesome house and break shit because he knows he has the money to fix it. I think he can not be put out on the streets because of that little tax raise. :cheers:

On the other hand I have found a very awesome GF who helps and supports me in these times mroe than I can repay her for right now.

AlanŽ
11-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Forget about OBAMA, forget about Mccain, Forget about politics if at all possible.

Just ask yourself one question and Only to yourself which also means you don't even need to reply nor post.

"Do you like to see yourself better off than the next man?" think about it, a better car, a better girl, a better home, a better portfolio, a better Life lol

This answer has a large effect on the things you do EVERYDAY, more than you know.

I will stay general in efforts to preserve my point.

But just ask yourself that question, your thoughts are encouraged, but not needed. :cheers:
Absolutely

BanginJimmy
11-08-2008, 04:13 PM

Anyone that says no is lying. Saying yes doesnt mean you are going to take advantage of someone else, or not volunteer to help others. Saying yes doesnt make you self centered or anything like that. Saying yes means you have the drive to better yourself. It means you dont expect others to take care of you or your family. Most of all, it means that you paid your dues on the job, in school, or most times, both. Now you are reaping the rewards of those sacrifices.

Bridged
11-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Anyone that says no is lying. Saying yes doesnt mean you are going to take advantage of someone else, or not volunteer to help others. Saying yes doesnt make you self centered or anything like that. Saying yes means you have the drive to better yourself. It means you dont expect others to take care of you or your family. Most of all, it means that you paid your dues on the job, in school, or most times, both. Now you are reaping the rewards of those sacrifices.
I have worked prolly worked more hours than must people do in there 20's and 30's at age 18 in a paper mill working 15+ hours a day just to make rent, but I guess I don't get any rewards. What about people that have worked at a company like bill heard for 30+ years to have it only shot down with onyl a weeks notice, all 30,000 of those people that lost there jobs, there only "reward" right now is 200 bucks a week for 3 months thanks to the crappy unemployment programs in place that is still taxed. :screwy:

I said no, because I wish everyone in this country would not have to go through some of the stuff people go through just to stay in there homes. I agree there are lazy people who abuse the system, but don't make the people who are trying hard suffer because of laziness.

Remember our for-fathers stood together to make this country free, yet now all everyone worries about is themselves. 911 happened and there was only a short burst of that we stand together before everyone got selfish again. Sad it takes sumthing so traffic to bring people together only for a short while.

And about the girlfriend thing I would say you would have to do that one on your own.

BanginJimmy
11-08-2008, 05:32 PM
I have worked prolly worked more hours than must people do in there 20's and 30's at age 18 in a paper mill working 15+ hours a day just to make rent, but I guess I don't get any rewards. What about people that have worked at a company like bill heard for 30+ years to have it only shot down with onyl a weeks notice, all 30,000 of those people that lost there jobs, there only "reward" right now is 200 bucks a week for 3 months thanks to the crappy unemployment programs in place that is still taxed. :screwy:

I said no, because I wish everyone in this country would not have to go through some of the stuff people go through just to stay in there homes. I agree there are lazy people who abuse the system, but don't make the people who are trying hard suffer because of laziness.

Remember our for-fathers stood together to make this country free, yet now all everyone worries about is themselves. 911 happened and there was only a short burst of that we stand together before everyone got selfish again. Sad it takes sumthing so traffic to bring people together only for a short while.

And about the girlfriend thing I would say you would have to do that one on your own.

After reading all that I have no clue what it has to do with this thread, or my response that you quoted.

Bridged
11-08-2008, 06:48 PM
After reading all that I have no clue what it has to do with this thread, or my response that you quoted.
Cliff notes = You said anyone saying NO is lying. I'm not lying, I'm just not selfish. And something needs to be placed better to make it equal than the "I got money f you it's mine" attitude that is around in todays world.

tony
11-08-2008, 06:59 PM

Not at all, I want everyone around me to be further along so I can push myself that much more.

There are different types of people as it pertains to encountering someone that is better off than you are. Some people see the material things, others look deeper. When I see the individual with the nicer car, nicer home, etc I'm interested to know their outlook on life. Are they happy? And those that tend to put more weight on the material things in life usually are not.

I can say theres one thing I envy, maybe its cause it goes back to being a kid and wanting both parents in my life.. but individuals who have a good relationship and/or marriage, in 28 years I've yet to find that. I have a childhood friend on my myspace page that has a really good relationship (for some reason Kev, you remind me of him) he's just a good spirited guy and absolutely deserves the happiness he exudes in the pictures he posts up with his future wife.

I've afforded myself a pretty good lifestyle, I've had the nice car.. had my house built when I was younger, worked for a lot of the material possessions a young man could want and nothing.. I mean NOTHING stacks up to the things that really matter. Getting together with my 3 older sisters and their children, practicing basketball with my son then watching him apply what I've taught him in a game, or knowing that my mom is proud of everything I am trying to do. If more people appreciated these things jealousy would be a waste of time because they would know just how blessed they truly are.

Kevykev
11-09-2008, 06:25 AM
I'm loving the thoughts and feeling in this thread! It's great to see people state how they feel about that simple question.

I have a childhood friend on my myspace page that has a really good relationship (for some reason Kev, you remind me of him) he's just a good spirited guy and absolutely deserves the happiness he exudes in the pictures he posts up with his future wife.

We'll be hanging out soon Tony, no reason for us NOT too. :cheers:

BanginJimmy
11-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Cliff notes = You said anyone saying NO is lying. I'm not lying, I'm just not selfish. And something needs to be placed better to make it equal than the "I got money f you it's mine" attitude that is around in todays world.

2 completely different things. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to be more sucessful than the man next to you. Sucessful doesnt mean making more money or having more power. It is being good at what you like to do. It doesnt matter if you are a teacher that makes 40K a year or a businessman that runs a fortune 500 company. If that teacher wins Teach of the Year, and that businessman has his company running in the negatives, who is more sucessful? It also has nothing to do with selfish. The selfish ones are the ones that dont work, yet still expect a handout. The selfish ones are the ones that exploit others to enrich or empower themselves. Working hard and making money does not make you selfish.

Julio
11-10-2008, 05:48 PM
I agree with banginJimmy 150%.

Julio
11-10-2008, 05:53 PM
I have worked prolly worked more hours than must people do in there 20's and 30's at age 18 in a paper mill working 15+ hours a day just to make rent, but I guess I don't get any rewards.

Thats sounds SELFISH.. atleast to think that way.. Im not saying you are.. but how you put it..

You have no idea what struggles the person next to you has gone through aswell..
I never do a favor expecting something in return, unless is a investment or something along those lines.

Julio
11-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Not at all, I want everyone around me to be further along so I can push myself that much more.

Why waite for all that ?

My grandfather told me one time..

" YOU MUST MAKE YOURSELF HAPPY FIRST " The rest can wait.

I think, in order for you to make others happy and be a motivator of some sort you must be happy with "YOU" first...

And guess what, I think sometimes for "YOU" to be happy, you must make others happy 1st...

Life is weird and complicated sometimes... I laugh when I hear or read people say, I Live for today! or shit along those lines.. I laugh because they have no idea about life...

ironchef
11-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Why waite for all that ?

My grandfather told me one time..

" YOU MUST MAKE YOURSELF HAPPY FIRST " The rest can wait.

I think, in order for you to make others happy and be a motivator of some sort you must be happy with "YOU" first...

And guess what, I think sometimes for "YOU" to be happy, you must make others happy 1st...

Life is weird and complicated sometimes... I laugh when I hear or read people say, I Live for today! or shit along those lines.. I laugh because they have no idea about life...I don't know man, just because they lead a different life than you do, in regards to the "I Live for Today!" thing, doesn't mean they don't have an idea about life. Their idea/opinion is different than yours, doesn't make it right or wrong.

Julio
11-10-2008, 06:25 PM
I don't know man, just because they lead a different life than you do, in regards to the "I Live for Today!" thing, doesn't mean they don't have an idea about life. Their idea/opinion is different than yours, doesn't make it right or wrong.

Maybe you are right... But.. maybe you are wrong..

But, Tell that to parents and see what they are going to say..

Im not a parent... But the older I get, I feel im getting smarter and wiser.. :thinking:

I'm willing to bet, the percentage of people who say " I LIVE FOR TODAY " would be higher from ages 18 to 25 w/ no kids and Nothing to live for... and probably going to college being payed by there parents.

Shit, If they LIVE For today, they care less about life in general..

ironchef
11-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Maybe you are right... But.. maybe you are wrong..

But, Tell that to parents and see what they are going to say..

Im not a parent... But the older I get, I feel im getting smarter and wiser.. :thinking:

I'm willing to bet, the percentage of people who say " I LIVE FOR TODAY " would be higher from ages 18 to 25 w/ no kids and Nothing to live for... and probably going to college being payed by there parents.

Shit, If they LIVE For today, they care less about life in general..Old people could say the same. They're retired, they got a decent stock pile of money, they travel around, and since they're old they're going to die soon, so they live for the present.

Julio
11-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Old people could say the same. They're retired, they got a decent stock pile of money, they travel around, and since they're old they're going to die soon, so they live for the present.

Oh yeah? If they didnt care .. why are they/most crying for better insurance and health care?

Not all old people have "stock pile of money".. if that was the case, Door greeters at walmart would be 16. :rolleyes: :lmfao:

DrivenMind
11-10-2008, 09:30 PM
I don't care if I have better belongings. I just want the same opportunity.

ironchef
11-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Oh yeah? If they didnt care .. why are they/most crying for better insurance and health care?

Not all old people have "stock pile of money".. if that was the case, Door greeters at walmart would be 16. :rolleyes: :lmfao:Probably cause they don't want to pay for it with their own money :lmfao:?

I'm not saying all old people have stock piles of money, but a fair amount are pretty set for retirement and beyond.

Kevykev
11-10-2008, 09:56 PM
First off, Bridged, props for pouring you heart into this discussion. We are all a product of our environment, therefore, this thread is extra Deep.

I love to see the different views. Anyone notice how there's no DEAD WRONG person in this thread. Some of us just have different perspectives, some more limited than others

Look at Banginjimmy's example of selfish people, he highlighted the people that he considers selfish. Although there is a much larger spectrum, those are the select few that he chose to mention because they affect his views the most. Good stuff

More thoughts...?