PDA

View Full Version : General Chat What Car to Get?

TheGodfather
11-08-2008, 02:48 AM
Ok I have had a list of cars narrowed down, after a huge list, as to what my next purchase would be.

I had Cadillac STS/CTS-V, Acura TL/TL-S, Nissan 350Z, Honda S2K, Acura TSX, Lexus IS300 on the final list.

I essentially want a newer car that is luxuriuos and looks classy, hence my leaning towards the TL/TL-S (07-08) above all most recently. It was sticking with a Honda product which I had liked, and just looked classy and had some power with an aftermarket potential.

The STS/CTS V series fit the quick/luxury sedan part as well.

Seeing those are my favorites, I am now rethinking things after a friend is trying to talk me out of the TL-S which I had decided on.

He says I will be sick of it after a while, the FWD and lack of handling, and it has some aftermarket, but will never be that quick.

See I had decided I wanted something newer not necissarly to make it the fastest car around, but just a nice riding luxury car with some speed, hence not leaning towards the S2K/350Z. And the IS300 kinda moved out of the picture when I decided I'd pay a little more for the newer TL's because they look so classy.

Before I write a novel, give me some feedback car people. I'm curuios as to what others think about my decision based on my preferences. I didn't make a poll, but would love to see arguments for/against my favorite choices, and even some things I didn't think of.

I will tell you in case you suggest something I already ruled out, I do not want any Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Chevy, Ford, or anything along those lines. My choices are my favorites and I'd like to keep $30k and under as well.

Thanks for reading.

OnURleft
11-08-2008, 03:40 AM
why did you rule out some of the best cars? You like classy, luxurious and sporty cars so why get an Acura. They are glorified Honda's and are towards the bottom in terms of luxury and overall appear. The bargain luxury car. I think based on your description you should get a G35. Twice the car of a TL. Otherwise get the Caddy, that's what I'd do..but you seem to be partial to jap stuff

_Christian_
11-08-2008, 05:23 AM
Why no love for euro's? ...they're the epitome of luxury and class. There are so many better cars for the money than what you listed IMO. If I were to choose from your list, I'd get the CTS-V.

Frög
11-08-2008, 05:24 AM
I had Cadillac STS/CTS-V, Acura TL/TL-S, Nissan 350Z, Honda S2K, Acura TSX, Lexus IS300 on the final list

How does a IS300 and a CTS-V (which cost ~3 times more) get on the same list?

And you ruled out the best cars.. queer..

My advice, if I was limited to that shit list, would be CTS-V.. duh..

Elbow
11-08-2008, 07:38 AM
Out of that list....CTS-V....DO NOT EVER THINK ABOUT A 350Z.

AirMax95
11-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Audi S4......

Elbow
11-08-2008, 08:46 AM
^Damn true but he was saying out of THAT list...really update your list lol to better cars.

Alan®
11-08-2008, 02:45 PM
CTS-V hands down/

Nissan Sean
11-08-2008, 03:01 PM
a newer(06-07) G35 sedan would be a good choice.. or the new CTS..... or why not a new g37( or slightly used) they have decent performance and are pretty luxurious... really nice interiors. GL with your selection!

twinj
11-08-2008, 03:04 PM
I hate the CTS-V. The only cadillac I would get would be an Escalade EXT. If you just had to have luxury with some power. Get some German Muscle fantastic cars!!

OnURleft
11-08-2008, 04:31 PM
How does a IS300 and a CTS-V (which cost ~3 times more) get on the same list?

And you ruled out the best cars.. queer..

My advice, if I was limited to that shit list, would be CTS-V.. duh..

+1.???

I essentially want a newer car that is luxuriuos and looks classy

newer TL's because they look so classy.

You pretty much contradicted this with what you'd like to buy.... There's nothing really classy about anything you named. TL's are low rent luxury sedans or nice accords, they still have a lot of catching up to do to be up there with what is classy. CTS-V's are sex, but are rough around the edges. 350z's are crap outside of a good sports car, especially if your concerned about a back seat or visability. S2k's can dance but you'll get claustrophobic in the cheap and tiny interior. My cosin has a 5 speed IS, it's nice but way out classed with the rest you mentioned. TSX's are great fun, look good and are a good bang for the buck if you ask me. I.M.O it's the classiest of what you named and that's simply because chicks like to drive them. I do believe with the right mods they can be highly desirable. I'd get that or a G35 based on your strange preferances.

TheGodfather
11-09-2008, 04:11 AM
I appreciate the advice.

As for my list, it was a range of prices, and cars that I thought met my criteria. The IS300 and CTS-V were both cars I liked alot and I would consider paying more for the CTS-V given the choice. Not a brand new one, the previous generation one.

I was willing to spend more money as long as I'd be happy for a while with the car.

I've been happy with a sedan for so long, that's why I lean towards them. I don't need a car that can take a turn at 100mph and hug, I like raw speed but handling is not on my top list.

I really am happy with a car that takes off in a straight line. And sedans just seem more economical, I've enjoyed the extra room when needed and carrying around my friends.

Ian, I did look at TSX's and liked them, but I just saw spending more on a TL because I liked it a little more.

What about not just a regular TL, but the TL-S? Still think that is overpaying for a glorified Accord?

The CTS-V meets so much of my criteria, but I worry about the Caddy/GM possible problems when I love the Honda/Acura/Nissan/Lexus seemingly excellent realibility.

I don't want my car to be in the shop every other week, I am getting this car to drive while my other car gets some much needed attention with no rush into getting it back on the road.

I tend to like the LS430/GS in terms of realibility and looks and speed, but for some reason the TL-S stuck out as my favorite for my loyalty to the Acura/Honda brand.

I still haven't driven a TL-S, so I'm not even sure if it compares to the cloud like ride of the Lexus. As for the Infiniti, I've just never been a fan of the G sedans, idk why, just never appealed to me.

Elbow
11-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Nissan isn't reliable.

civic95
11-09-2008, 08:58 AM
I vote for the TL. We bought ours new in 2005. I still love it! It is the best all around package we could find. It's not an over glorified accord as someone else said. I challenge anyone who thinks that to go drive both cars. It's no slouch either. It's just as fast if not faster than my S2000. The TL pulls low 14's in the 1/4 stock. Faster than my friends 530 too. It is one honda product that has torque. On the skidpad it even handles better than the S2000. If I had to give up one, I'd give up my S before the TL. 50K miles on it so far and the only problem we had with it was a wheel bearing went at about 1600 miles. Was just a defect from a supplier, and covered under warranty of course. At the time the dealer had never seen one fail before. And I'm talking about a regular TL, I'm sure the Type-S is even better.

TheGodFather go drive a TL-S, and your decision will be over. It is very confidence inspiring, gives a lot of feedback, and yet is still comfortable for driving around town. I've driven a IS300, IS350, and an older GS. They don't even compare IMO. I've also driven the new TSX, and the first gen. The new one is pretty good, but has lower quality interior materials, and less room in the back. If I got rid of my S2K, I'd get a new TSX (just so we didn't have 2 TLs)

Deke
11-09-2008, 01:22 PM
why did you rule out some of the best cars? You like classy, luxurious and sporty cars so why get an Acura. They are glorified Honda's and are towards the bottom in terms of luxury and overall appear. The bargain luxury car. I think based on your description you should get a G35. Twice the car of a TL. Otherwise get the Caddy, that's what I'd do..but you seem to be partial to jap stuff

I'm going to have to disagree with most of your post especially the bolded part. My mom drives a 2002 TL type S which I have driven a lot and it's definitely a nice, reliable, and sporty car. At one point my dad had a rental G35 sedan, and while I did like the rwd, that's pretty much the only thing I'd rank above the Acura (everything else I'd say was on par). The 2004+ TL's are even sportier than my mom's (not to mention the Type S's).

I've got nothing against G35s (I like them a lot), but there is no way in hell that they are "twice the car." Also I find it funny that you call an Acura a glorified Honda when an Infiniti is just a glorified Nissan ;)

OnURleft
11-09-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with most of your post especially the bolded part. My mom drives a 2002 TL type S which I have driven a lot and it's definitely a nice, reliable, and sporty car. At one point my dad had a rental G35 sedan, and while I did like the rwd, that's pretty much the only thing I'd rank above the Acura (everything else I'd say was on par). The 2004+ TL's are even sportier than my mom's (not to mention the Type S's).

I've got nothing against G35s (I like them a lot), but there is no way in hell that they are "twice the car." Also I find it funny that you call an Acura a glorified Honda when an Infiniti is just a glorified Nissan ;)

I was probably exaggerating when I said it's twice the car, but we do have a 2002 TL-Type S in the family and I've put tons of miles on it, even back and forth to the north ga mountains to our cabin up in Rabun county... It's a great car, inexpensive and most of the features are nice but you can really tell how much Honda cut so many corners on this car from an engineering perspective to save money and keep it simple. That rules out making it classy or luxurious to me. I.M.O it's not even a luxury car, just simply glorified regular car, as I said.
Here is my experience....Not only is the transmission clunky and slow shifting, but we've replaced it twice and the "tiptronic" mode is nothing different than putting a mini-van in L and shifting it yourself. The dealer told us not to use it but they did replace for free BOTH times outside of warrenty (THIS KEEPS CUSTOMERS!) Also, it has 260hp and no LSD..So much for sporty. Also this "type-S" has no true sport mode and if you try to make it fun, you'll self distruct it. The brakes are way to small and overheat way to easily, it's got tons of boddy roll and just all around feels unstable through to steering wheel or in the passenger seat. The car is pretty loud in the inside and it rides more like an Accord than a German car at speed...because it is. The inside is plush but it is glorified. The wood trim is fake and plasticy and none of the materials "feel" expensive or show that there was any serious money spent on desiging the inside (like an Audi).
However, the car is fast, sounds good and has no trouble passing or screaming by slow traffic. It even looks pretty good for an upgraded Honda.
Both times we had the tranny replaced my cosin (who owns the TL) had a new one and they are worlds better. If you are getting a TL...GET THE NEW ONE! We like the old one because it is faster (TL-S vs New TL) and it feels more nimble but the newer one is actually closer to Germaness in the inside and how it looks. The new TL-S's are great and really do look sporty..not to mention the 6 speeds are quick and sound mean. However, they have a serious serious disadvantage being FF (it's almost funny when you have that power and that pegleg)..which is why i'd never get one.

As far as reliability they are the same as any other car. Believe me..my family is HUGE (mom and dad are both 1 of 6), we have so many different cars from different places and just because people assume it's going to be "reliable" doesn't mean it's going to be. Just because its Japanes does really not mean you won't see a shop. If anything they are just cars built simpler with less stuff to break. Sure car for car they are "known" not to break as much, but they are simpler cars. People rank Toyota on top in terms of relability, but my family has had, 4 Toyota's, 3 Lexus', 1 Acura, 3 Audi's and 4 BMW's, and a slew of other random cars in the last 4 years and believe it or not the Lexus' and the Acura have had all the major problems. (i.e 3 of the 4 have had the transmission replaced or something major done to them), compared to little things on the German cars that are easily fixed cheaply unless you want to take it somewhere where they can rip you off.

Deke
11-09-2008, 03:12 PM
^Reps for an extremely well put together and thought out rebuttal. My mom's did get the tranny replaced (whether because it broke or was a recall item, I don't remember, but we didn't pay for it), but since then no problems.

While I do like the 2002, I definitely agree that the newer type S would be the way to go if you were getting an Acura.

civic95
11-09-2008, 04:37 PM
They did have tranny problems with the 03 and older TL's (and MDX's). That's been resolved in the 3rd gens. Nothing to worry about with an 04 and up. There is no use talking about the older ones he's not even looking at those. The 2nd gen (what your parents had) are nothing like the 3rd gens. Acura really stepped it up in all areas. I'd much rather have our TL than I would a 3 or 5 series BMW. While I like exterior, BMW's interior falls short. Not to mention reliability, and cost of maintenance.

TheGodfather
11-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Ian, I think I realize I wasn't specific but I am solely looking at the new, 04-08 TL's, more specifically the TL-S.

I like the idea of a quick sedan, and I do love the look of the TL-S.

I really want to have a fast coupe down the road, but I can always get something cheaper since now I want more of the smooth ride, quick line, and luxuryesque feel and look of the car.

Bruce Leroy
11-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Nissan isn't reliable.

since when???

My g35 has about 60k hard miles, and its fine. No problems yet.

If i wanted to get a sports car with 4 doors, it would be an e39 M5.

alpine_aw11
11-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Is a new m3 in your price range? Seems like that or the last gen. would fit your needs well. If that isn't what you're looking for then CTS-V.

OnURleft
11-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Ian, I think I realize I wasn't specific but I am solely looking at the new, 04-08 TL's, more specifically the TL-S.

I like the idea of a quick sedan, and I do love the look of the TL-S.

I really want to have a fast coupe down the road, but I can always get something cheaper since now I want more of the smooth ride, quick line, and luxuryesque feel and look of the car.

Sounds like you know what you want. Wish I had that cash. You must be very dedicated to Honda/Acura to get that car because you could get ALOT for that money (ZO6, M5, M3, S4, CTS-V, IS350 with slightly more milage, new G35, STi, Evo, 545i, newer A4 2.0T + mod money, A6 etc. etc..). Drive it tons first though, that's my best advice and I mean TONS and make sure that's everything you desire in a good driving experience.

TheGodfather
11-10-2008, 02:14 AM
Sounds like you know what you want. Wish I had that cash. You must be very dedicated to Honda/Acura to get that car because you could get ALOT for that money (ZO6, M5, M3, S4, CTS-V, IS350 with slightly more milage, new G35, STi, Evo, 545i, newer A4 2.0T + mod money, A6 etc. etc..). Drive it tons first though, that's my best advice and I mean TONS and make sure that's everything you desire in a good driving experience.

Well some cars I ruled out because of insurance costs. A C5 ZO6 was something I liked alot, but the insurance would be beastly. Same with an M3.

I kinda ruled out most powerful 2 doors because I wasn't sure about how bad the insurance would be on them for someone my age.

I wrote down an entire list of cars from every manufacturer, and then went in order eliminating those I had most check marks against whether it be price first, insurance, no aftermarket, not reliable enough, etc.

The CTS-V is tough to turn away, but again I am worried about the GM problems that come with it, and my family's success with Acura/Honda gave me my loyalty.

OnURleft
11-10-2008, 03:05 AM
Well some cars I ruled out because of insurance costs. A C5 ZO6 was something I liked alot, but the insurance would be beastly. Same with an M3.

I kinda ruled out most powerful 2 doors because I wasn't sure about how bad the insurance would be on them for someone my age.

I wrote down an entire list of cars from every manufacturer, and then went in order eliminating those I had most check marks against whether it be price first, insurance, no aftermarket, not reliable enough, etc.

The CTS-V is tough to turn away, but again I am worried about the GM problems that come with it, and my family's success with Acura/Honda gave me my loyalty.

Ahh insurance is a bitch. I wouldn't be to worried about the CTS-V as far as breaking. I've only known them to rip out axel's on hard launching. We have a 400rwhp LSx car in the family and it has been very good to us, despite all the mods and the rediculous cam. It even gets good gas mileage.

Elbow
11-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Yeah LSx engines actually do get great mileage for what they are, and are reliable. Remember though reliability on older Honda/Acura could be better or worse on new ones. I hear tranny this tranny that all the time talking about new Acuras. Infiniti products also I hear have lots of weird small problems.

In the end it's what you want, but def. do LOTS of test driving.