PDA

View Full Version : Obama to implement mandatory community service for students?

_Christian_
11-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year.

http://change.gov/americaserves/

Is this guy serious?:screwy:

AirMax95
11-07-2008, 12:04 PM
I like the idea! I really don't see a problem with it. Flame me if you want, but what is bad about it? This is not jail time work. Also, community service goes a long way.

BobbyFresco
11-07-2008, 12:07 PM
The shit ppl are finding to complain about!
And what if he did?

Because there's something wrong with kids learning that there's more
to life than just getting through life only caring about yourself?

Give me a fucking break.

Silvrmaxx
11-07-2008, 12:09 PM
And what if he did?

Give me a fucking break.

x2 Amen Brotha! lol

JITB
11-07-2008, 12:10 PM
I mean if obama says he will lower tuition, students are gonna have to give a little. i think its a good idea. Community service never hurt nobody, "most" students would use this time to volunteer at a place involving their field. And besides most grants/scholarships wnat community service etc, and even private schools require it..

BobbyFresco
11-07-2008, 12:13 PM
I went to a private school where it was mandated we do community service and not a single parent complained about it. Even to this day, I find time to volunteer and give to those that don't have whether it's time or money. It made me more appreciative of what I have and it builds character. I'm sorry but those are qualities that more ppl should have. This country is inhabited by a bunch of non caring, dont give a fuck attitude type of ppl. People that only give a fuck about themselves and their personal wealth, and not the well being of the country.

AlanŽ
11-07-2008, 12:14 PM
And what if he did?

Give me a fucking break.
Cause maybe I don't want to? :thinking: Since when do ordinary citizens get to have a mandate put on them to do things they would not otherwise be required to do?

You know what 150 hours buys me right now? A lot of fucking study time that I need hence why I don't work while I'm in school and if I was working at 8 bucks thats over $1000 I'm losing.

AlanŽ
11-07-2008, 12:15 PM
I mean if obama says he will lower tuition, students are gonna have to give a little. i think its a good idea. Community service never hurt nobody, "most" students would use this time to volunteer at a place involving their field. And besides most grants/scholarships wnat community service etc, and even private schools require it..
Another thing I haven't agreed with him on. Why the hell should the government interfere with the cost of college. What if I don't want the damn tax credit? I have already had this argument before.

BobbyFresco
11-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Cause maybe I don't want to? :thinking: Since when do ordinary citizens get to have a mandate put on them to do things they would not otherwise be required to do?

You know what 150 hours buys me right now? A lot of fucking study time that I need hence why I don't work while I'm in school and if I was working at 8 bucks thats over $1000 I'm losing.

I get that but a little community service never hurt anyone.
You should try it sometime and you will get a feeling unlike anything else
from helping ppl.

AlanŽ
11-07-2008, 12:18 PM
I went to a private school where it was mandated we do community service and not a single parent complained about it. Even to this day, I find time to volunteer and give to those that don't have whether it's time or money. It made me more appreciative of what I have and it builds character. I'm sorry but those are qualities that more ppl should have. This country is inhabited by a bunch of non caring, dont give a fuck attitude type of ppl. People that only give a fuck about themselves and their personal wealth, and not the well being of the country.
I commend you on that but, if you had a problem with it you had the CHOICE of going to a different school that didn't require it.

The problem I have always had with Obama's plan is this I am my brother's keeper mentality. Yea ok I agree we should all do what's good for the country but, WHERE DO YOU DRAW THE LINE? Obama hasn't drawn that line in the sand yet and said "Ok this is enough".

AlanŽ
11-07-2008, 12:20 PM
I get that but a little community service never hurt anyone.
You should try it sometime and you will get a feeling unlike anything else
from helping ppl.
Oh no I agree. I help out whenever I can but it's at MY DISCRETION. See what I'm saying?

I don't work during the year so that I can focus on school. So durring the summer I work my head off. $1000 is what I live on a semester. And I know I'm not the only one in this cituation on this board.

_Christian_
11-07-2008, 12:21 PM
And what if he did?

Give me a fucking break.

Tell that to someone who is working full time to pay for their college (full time also). That aside, do you not realize it's unconstitutional to force servitude?

Ok, your comment is at least intelligent. If someone is on a gov't grant or scholarship, then I am for it. Some private schools require it, but you can choose not to attend a private school.

JITB
11-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Another thing I haven't agreed with him on. Why the hell should the government interfere with the cost of college. What if I don't want the damn tax credit? I have already had this argument before.

and im gonna say what everyone else has told you. not everyone can afford to not work, and go to school, and get taken care of. It dont work like that for everyone.
How do you expect anyone to pay for any kind of education, when they can barely feed themselves. There are people that would do 1 million hours of community service to go to school.
There are scholarships/degrees that require alot of Community Service, so to a College student community service is not a big deal. Community service is a all positive thing, nothing bad comes out of it. I mean you have 365 days to serve 50-100hours of comunity service you can do a few hours a week, and still get it done. You spend more than 50 hours on IA, but you wont get out and do some community service for your community.

BobbyFresco
11-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Either way, nothing has been implemented yet.
Doubtful that it will be.

AlanŽ
11-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Tell that to someone who is working full time to pay for their college (full time also). That aside, do you not realize it's unconstitutional to force servitude?

Ok, your comment is at least intelligent. If someone is on a gov't grant or scholarship, then I am for it. Some private schools require it, but you can choose not to attend a private school.
Amen on both accounts.

Honest question. Other than Military Academy's what other higher education institutions are Federal?

Most college's are state run from my understanding so Obama can only do 1 of 3 things.

1. He can ASK the state to lower tution and costs.(This won't happen for many reason's there is a reason why is it is getting more and more expensive to go to college a big part of which is operating costs. Hell at my school they have turned the hot water in the showers almost completely off to save money on energy costs)

2. He can implement the his tax credit.(Which in my opinion should be at the family's discretion as to whether or not to claim it since to get it according to him will require service in either the military, peace corps, etc. And the money from this has to come from somewhere which is a whole seperate issue)

3. He can issue these state college's more money for operating costs which could bring down the cost to go to college(but again money's gotta come from somewhere)

I would hope though he wouldn't try to interfere with private schools cause that's just :no:

JITB
11-07-2008, 12:29 PM

some majors require it also, you can get your foot in the door with volunteer/community service. Its not really a stretch or a hassle. Its not like you will be forced to pick up trash on the highway and scrapping toilets.. You come when you want, and leave when you want.

Vteckidd
11-07-2008, 12:38 PM
I like the idea! I really don't see a problem with it. Flame me if you want, but what is bad about it? This is not jail time work. Also, community service goes a long way.
Actually i think that would do alot for our youth, and i applaud him for trying to get people to take pride in their community.

The only problem i have with it is the govt requiring you to do it, thats kinda shaky ground.

Perhaps amend it to say if you do it you get more credits, or something, maybe a tax credit, maybe make it a qualification that you have to do to get the HOPE type programs out there?

MachNU
11-07-2008, 12:39 PM
yeah i have to agree it wont work. most people wont be able to find the time. even more so for the high school and middle school kids. the burden would fall to the parents on try to get them there. then it would put a big hurt on after school events for the schools! then move to college where alot of us(like me) are working full time to pay my way through with a 15-20 hour load, on top of now and days alot of college students are parents who work all day and go to college at night! when would they get a chance to do it?

BanginJimmy
11-07-2008, 12:42 PM
I am all for the fed govt stipulating community service for federal grants and schlorships.

I am fully against mandating community service for the sake of mandating community service. The federal govt has no right to infringe on my personal time without due process of law.

AlanŽ
11-07-2008, 12:43 PM
and im gonna say what everyone else has told you. not everyone can afford to not work, and go to school, and get taken care of. It dont work like that for everyone.
How do you expect anyone to pay for any kind of education, when they can barely feed themselves. There are people that would do 1 million hours of community service to go to school.
There are scholarships/degrees that require alot of Community Service, so to a College student community service is not a big deal. Community service is a all positive thing, nothing bad comes out of it. I mean you have 365 days to serve 50-100hours of comunity service you can do a few hours a week, and still get it done. You spend more than 50 hours on IA, but you wont get out and do some community service for your community.
And as I have said I agree with you BUT something like what the OP posted shouldn't be MANDATED whether or not you claim the tax credit.

And I'm sorry I still don't agree with the the federal government using tax dollars to fund private citizens education.The only instance I really agree with it in is in the case of the G.I. Bill, military, peace corps service etc.

This is why Obama's plan doesn't make any sense to me. The only thing he is really changing is that there will be more ways to get the money but according to him it's only $4k. And he hasn't said whether that would be for a semester or for a year. Depending on where you go $4K ain't shit. Especially over a year. Hell I just took a look at my account and It's $4K a year just to go to Gordon and they don't offer all that much. And that's before books, gas, etc.

I had a buddy last year that served in the marines got out and went to college all paid for by the marines and he got a lot more than $4k. He got a full ride and then some. If it was me instead of claiming the tax credit I'd go ahead and serve in the military and get the full benefit and not have to worry about any of it.

There are more ways of getting your higher education funded then by getting a tax credit from the federal government.There are countless of billions of dollars out there in scholarships, a lot of my friends didn't have the money to go to college so what did they do? Join the service, apply for scholarships etc. Like I said Obama's plan in this respect doesn't really change anything. It just makes less available but more ways to get at it. Make sense?

Vteckidd
11-07-2008, 12:44 PM
I am all for the fed govt stipulating community service for federal grants and schlorships.

I am fully against mandating community service for the sake of mandating community service. The federal govt has no right to infringe on my personal time without due process of law.
thats my point you said it better than me

Bridged
11-07-2008, 12:46 PM
I love the idea! :goodjob: I feel like I might be able to trust Obama to tell us how it is and not lie. Which is what we need. He will do just fine I think.

JITB
11-07-2008, 12:46 PM
So its safe to say, it would be cool, as long as it isnt mandated an have benefits.... in which i think Obama would be willing to be able to sway on that.

i cant go on too much about things that havent happen, or are far off.... so we will see.

tony
11-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Wont pass, as it was proposed by Obama the community service would be given in return for scholarships.

AlanŽ
11-07-2008, 12:47 PM
I love the idea! :goodjob: I feel like I might be able to trust Obama to tell us how it is and not lie. Which is what we need. He will do just fine I think.
He is a politician dude don't trust him too much.

tony
11-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Found it

http://www.change.gov/agenda/service/

Require 100 Hours of Service in College: Obama and Biden will establish a new American Opportunity Tax Credit that is worth $4,000 a year in exchange for 100 hours of public service a year.

AlanŽ
11-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Found it

Just proves my point is all.

Vteckidd
11-07-2008, 12:53 PM
i dont have a problem with that.

put in work get paid. I think thats something all republicans can get behind

MS3ZZ
11-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Hmm not bad. But how about those who already have full time job and go to school partime?
I cant put any additional work hours on top of my already 60hr work week.

tony
11-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Hmm not bad. But how about those who already have full time job and go to school partime?
I cant put any additional work hours on top of my already 60hr work week.

It's not mandatory

MS3ZZ
11-07-2008, 01:04 PM
i see. Good.

Deke
11-07-2008, 01:07 PM
That aside, do you not realize it's unconstitutional to force servitude?

Jury duty

MachNU
11-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Found it

okay see now that makes more sense. i can see doing a 100 hours over the course of a year, becuase well thats less than 2 hours a week! for $4000 shit i could even say i would find time to do it! :goodjob:

Sport1.3
11-07-2008, 01:08 PM
thats less than 2 hrs a week for a year...i dont really see that being too much

tatodotcom
11-07-2008, 01:09 PM
if you want to get a scholarship or grant by doing community service than great....but mandating this is simply wrong...i pay to go to school and i should be able to choose what i do during the other time.....mandating this is not right

AlanŽ
11-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Something else to think about.

If say community service by Obama's definition was say for example helping build a road.

The average road worker makes $38k a year

$38K/12=$3,166 a month
$3,166/4=$791 a week
Assume a 40 hour work week
$791*2.5(for 100 hours)=$1979

So where does the other $2,021 come from to pay for the $4,000 tax credit?

It would have to be ~200 hours to break even.

tony
11-07-2008, 01:11 PM
if you want to get a scholarship or grant by doing community service than great....but mandating this is simply wrong...i pay to go to school and i should be able to choose what i do during the other time.....mandating this is not right

reading is fundamental, its not mandatory.

BanginJimmy
11-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Jury duty

That is not forced servitude as you are not added to the rolls unless you are registered to vote.

MS3ZZ
11-07-2008, 01:16 PM

If say community service by Obama's definition was say for example helping build a road.

$38K/12=$3,166 a month
$3,166/4=$791 a week

Geez Tax payers :lmfao:

arent you used to it by now?

JITB
11-07-2008, 01:24 PM

$38K/12=$3,166 a month
$3,166/4=$791 a week

when is the last time has someone been doing community service doing road construction...lol Thats a skilled job, community service is some littls odd end jobs, cleanin up a road,park, school.. stuff that gets looked over, that needs to be done. I know students that do community service at the YMCA, with younger kids. its a good thing..i dont see y you want to make it sound like someone is trying to get over on us.
A few months ago you would talk about handouts this and handouts that, and now there is a proposal that has some good in it, and helps out both ends the community and the student.

AlanŽ
11-07-2008, 01:34 PM
when is the last time has someone been doing community service doing road construction...lol Thats a skilled job, community service is some littls odd end jobs, cleanin up a road,park, school.. stuff that gets looked over, that needs to be done. I know students that do community service at the YMCA, with younger kids. its a good thing..i dont see y you want to make it sound like someone is trying to get over on us.
A few months ago you would talk about handouts this and handouts that, and now there is a proposal that has some good in it, and helps out both ends the community and the student.
:thinking: . You would have to refresh my memory on any "handouts" i have been in favor of considering I hated the Bailout and I hate this. My point is He has said he will be able to pay for everything he wants to do.

If we take your argument than after 100 hours there would be even more a tax burden on us to pay for this.

JITB
11-07-2008, 01:36 PM
:thinking: . You would have to refresh my memory on any "handouts" i have been in favor of considering I hated the Bailout and I hate this. My point is He has said he will be able to pay for everything he wants to do.

If we take your argument than after 100 hours there would be even more a tax burden on us to pay for this.

i meant you were against so called "handouts" and this is a fair helping hand, with a purpose, that isnt just a freebie.

AlanŽ
11-07-2008, 01:38 PM
i meant you were against so called "handouts" and this is a fair helping hand, with a purpose, that isnt just a freebie.
Oh ok I got you. While this is a GREAT idea in principle there would still be a LARGE portion left on the tax payers to come up with.

This can't be denied.

JITB
11-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Oh ok I got you. While this is a GREAT idea in principle there would still be a LARGE portion left on the tax payers to come up with.

This can't be denied.

Its part of a bigger picture to me, you have to start from the ground up in order to move forward. The US isnt gonna go anywhere if noone is getting a education. And id rather pay more taxes on an investment in our education system, than most things that we pay for now. The future in our youth to me isnt lookin to good, education wise....hopefully im wrong. Im not too confident in our new generation.. maybe thats just my age showing..lol I think they are smart enough, but just dont have the drive or motivation. And i hate to sound like a broken record..but i do believe alot of our youth has been motivated to look up to someone other than musicians/sports players/actors, and that there is another way to be successful.

AlanŽ
11-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Its part of a bigger picture to me, you have to start from the ground up in order to move forward. The US isnt gonna go anywhere if noone is getting a education. And id rather pay more taxes on an investment in our education system, than most things that we pay for now. The future in our youth to me isnt lookin to good, education wise....hopefully im wrong. Im not too confident in our new generation.. maybe thats just my age showing..lol I think they are smart enough, but just dont have the drive or motivation. And i hate to sound like a broken record..but i do believe alot of our youth has been motivated to look up to someone other than musicians/sports players/actors, and that there is another way to be successful.
You make good points. I'm just up in the air on this.

AirMax95
11-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Actually i think that would do alot for our youth, and i applaud him for trying to get people to take pride in their community.

The only problem i have with it is the govt requiring you to do it, thats kinda shaky ground.

Perhaps amend it to say if you do it you get more credits, or something, maybe a tax credit, maybe make it a qualification that you have to do to get the HOPE type programs out there?

Agreed, mandatory wouldn't work, lol.

After further reading their complete plan, I like it even more. Hopefully, the participants can get their friends/family/coworkers/etc to come out and help also. The Tax credit is an awesome incentive, and I'd hope that people will volunteer for the reason more than the $.

jwrape
11-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Ok, so he reduces tuition in exchange for community service, I totally can be on board with that, but why make retired 55+ folks do community service? That makes no sense. They worked all their lives to only go back to work?

JITB
11-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Ok, so he reduces tuition in exchange for community service, I totally can be on board with that, but why make retired 55+ folks do community service? That makes no sense. They worked all their lives to only go back to work?

Obama will encourage retiring Americans to serve by improving programs available for individuals over age 55, while at the same time promoting youth programs such as Youth Build and Head Start.

Most retired folks work small part time jobs anyway and or volunteer to stay busy. People who have worked hard all their life have a hard time staying all day watching tv.... but i dont really understand that phrase about the older people either..lol

Bridged
11-07-2008, 05:42 PM
He is a politician dude don't trust him too much.
I worked for the Government for 5+ years. Trust me, I know about that alot more than you and have seen it first hand, if you knew half the shit I knew about you would be in the UK or another place right now. An with that exp. I think he will try hard and not lie about the important stuff. Trust is what we need right now. Will he? Who knows. I think he will though.