PDA

View Full Version : Misc FISHING QUESTIONS!

fawk_you
11-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Okkkkkkkk. So, a friend :yes: from england is coming into town next Wed. they want to go fishing. My question is:

Where is good to go? Do they have poles you can rent? Do they have the bait? Catch and release places? Or catch and keep places? Basically do they have everything you need? OR do you have to bring your own pole and shiz?

I havent fished since I was like 15 so, its been a good 8+ years and shiz has changed a bit since then.

Any info would be great, thanks!

VQ35 Star
11-05-2008, 04:14 PM
no clue of any place where they rent out fishing equipment.

But to get started just go to Walmart and get fishing licenses for everyone that will be fishing, i think they are like $9-$11 somewhere around that price range. If you go to popular areas that are known to have people fishing the nearest gas station will stock bait that you can buy. equipment just go to bass pro shop or somewhere and buy them. if this will be a one time thing just get the cheapest ones you can find. you can usually find beginner poles with attached reels. and get some fishing line, weights, and hooks.

and for places just go to buford dam or fort yargo.

fawk_you
11-05-2008, 04:18 PM
no clue of any place where they rent out fishing equipment.

But to get started just go to Walmart and get fishing licenses for everyone that will be fishing, i think they are like $9-$11 somewhere around that price range. If you go to popular areas that are known to have people fishing the nearest gas station will stock bait that you can buy. equipment just go to bass pro shop or somewhere and buy them. if this will be a one time thing just get the cheapest ones you can find.

and for places just go to buford dam or fort yargo.

Alright... didnt know that fishing licenses were required... but you CAN get them at walmart? Pretty cool... and more than likely a 1 time thing so ill pick up some from walmart.

ill find the buford dam addy or location. :D

VQ35 Star
11-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Yea, and i think walmart has all that you need for fishing shit for cheap too! probably a whole kit with lines/reels/rod/hooks/weights all in 1 package.

VQ35 Star
11-05-2008, 04:23 PM
I haven't gone fishing in awhile either, wonder how it is with the drought and everything

N2BNLOW
11-05-2008, 04:30 PM
I think I have ploes you could use. Just give me a call if you want them.

fawk_you
11-05-2008, 04:33 PM
I think I have ploes you could use. Just give me a call if you want them.
HEYYYY! Dude, for sure. Good call E!

Paree4g63
11-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Fishing gets old pretty quick if you don't have a boat. With a boat; it's never boring! Buford dam gets old cause you get tired of catching the same fishes over & over. Fort Yargo ain't got shieT! Only Marina places can let you rent out equipment needed for fishing. You can even rent canoes, boats and etc if you go to the right places. Good luck fishing when it gets cold. :goodjob:

fawk_you
11-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Fishing gets old pretty quick if you don't have a boat. With a boat; it's never boring! Buford dam gets old cause you get tired of catching the same fishes over & over. Fort Yargo ain't got shieT! Only Marina places can let you rent out equipment needed for fishing. You can even rent canoes, boats and etc if you go to the right places. Good luck fishing when it gets cold. :goodjob:

I would assume so. I know that channel tells you the fishing schedule and what times are better to catch then others so ill do that as well. We'll prob. rent a boat or canoe....

everyone is always so negative. sheesh

Double_0_Rusty
11-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Lake Oconee, Lake Sinclair, Lake Hartwell, and I know of some "pay lakes" ......best fishing places I can think up, I have been around fishing all my life.....I love it....dont matter if I have my boat with me or just sitting on the bank....im calm and relaxed with some cold brew lol.

Id just go to wal mart, get the licenses (9 bucks), and some cheap poles....should come with reel w/ line. grab some hooks, and weights.....depending on what kinda fish you want to catch.....Id grab some lures ( mainly for bass) or worms/mino's (small lil fish great for catfish ect ect). You can get this at the bait shop, if you are around one...

Another form of fishing I like to do is running trot-lines, and floats. but you need a boat for that, and it's alot cheaper than buying new poles and such.

Hope this helps out any.

fawk_you
11-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Certainly does, THANKS SO MUCH!

choiiiiiiiii
11-05-2008, 09:08 PM

:thinking: sorry buford dam has such a small variety of fish..?

anyways to the op, buford dam is known for trout. it is stocked, but if IIRC they stopped stocking around a month ago(out of season). i went when i was down for fall break and had a pretty good time. however, i don't fish from the bank..i use waders..and the last time i fished on the bank, i didn't have so much luck.....sorry

and also, you will have to buy a fishing license, and if you do plan on going to buford dam, you will have to get a trout license as well..it only costs 14 bucks yearly...i think 7 for a day..i don't remember.
and again, make sure you find out when the water release times are.

good luck!

fawk_you
11-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Ok will do.

Double_0_Rusty
11-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Certainly does, THANKS SO MUCH!

Yer very welcome! Just have fun, and be safe.:goodjob:

Vteckidd
11-05-2008, 09:13 PM
go shark hunting or GTFO-------------->

Vteckidd
11-05-2008, 09:14 PM
http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2007-10/hunting-shark-with-kayak.jpg

RAWR!

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/07_03/19sharkDM_468x591.jpg

Double_0_Rusty
11-05-2008, 09:27 PM
go shark hunting or GTFO-------------->

get outta here with that weakness!:gay:

Noodling is where its at.....google it...catfish noodling! hardcore stuff

Vteckidd
11-05-2008, 09:31 PM
holy shit that is pretty hardcore lol

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3f/Noodling_champ.jpg

fawk_you
11-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Yer very welcome! Just have fun, and be safe.:goodjob:
fa sho. Thanks.

We shall try the sharking too as well as noodling. hahahaha :screwy:

Double_0_Rusty
11-05-2008, 09:50 PM
holy shit that is pretty hardcore lol

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3f/Noodling_champ.jpg
Lolol i am too chicken to do it...though.

fawk_you
11-05-2008, 10:19 PM
really tho, screw that. hahaha

redrumracer
11-06-2008, 01:04 AM
out of state license is like 25 or 30 bucks i believe. so factor that in.

~GILLEY~
11-06-2008, 01:38 AM
Alright... didnt know that fishing licenses were required... but you CAN get them at walmart? Pretty cool... and more than likely a 1 time thing so ill pick up some from walmart.

ill find the buford dam addy or location. :D

if you go to a pay lake you dont need fishing licenses and they will have poles there you can rent. there are a few in douglasville and they are good one's. dunaways lake and im not sure the name of the other it some catfish hole or some thing. it will be a lil less if you get the poles from wall mart.. if you need any more info/help just pm me and ill help with what i can good luck

GIXXERDK
11-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Thought noodling was illegal now?

fawk_you
11-06-2008, 02:09 PM
if you go to a pay lake you dont need fishing licenses and they will have poles there you can rent. there are a few in douglasville and they are good one's. dunaways lake and im not sure the name of the other it some catfish hole or some thing. it will be a lil less if you get the poles from wall mart.. if you need any more info/help just pm me and ill help with what i can good luck
Do you know anything about sweetwater creek? I know they have a bait shop there, or they used to? How good is that one? And I think they have canoes too. Other than catfish hole and dunaways what are some names of the others? Where is dunaways?

Double_0_Rusty
11-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Thought noodling was illegal now?
:rolleyes: city folks

:lmfao:

Paree4g63
11-06-2008, 09:35 PM
daily fishing licenses @ Walmart are about $3bucks. Annually is $9 plus Trout Stamp($4-5) = $14-$15bucks total for a whole year. It's worth it to just buy the whole year! Lake Oconee was only good while it lasted; I caught Catfish the whole time, saw someone almost catch a gigantic Gar and I lost a pretty big Catfish. I seen a big ass fish come to the surface once and that means Lake Oconee has got some potential if you bring the right credentials and use it right.

Go Deep Sea Fishing..That's my ultimate fishing mission I'd like to finally experience! I Just noticed I've never been in the middle of a lake before on a boat; gotta go to the ocean one day. G/L!

Double_0_Rusty
11-06-2008, 09:42 PM
daily fishing licenses @ Walmart are about $3bucks. Annually is $9 plus Trout Stamp($4-5) = $14-$15bucks total for a whole year. It's worth it to just buy the whole year! Lake Oconee was only good while it lasted; I caught Catfish the whole time, saw someone almost catch a gigantic Gar and I lost a pretty big Catfish. I seen a big ass fish come to the surface once and that means Lake Oconee has got some potential if you bring the right credentials and use it right.

Go Deep Sea Fishing..That's my ultimate fishing mission I'd like to finally experience! I Just noticed I've never been in the middle of a lake before on a boat; gotta go to the ocean one day. G/L!

Oh yeah....Ive grown up fishing Lake Oconee....a few weeks ago I snagged a 38lb blue cat, and a few 15-20lbers.....You have to hit the river channels, and deep water.. I love fishing out there. BTW, Gar is the best "cut" bait ever!!!!!!

Paree4g63
11-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Oh yeah....Ive grown up fishing Lake Oconee....a few weeks ago I snagged a 38lb blue cat, and a few 15-20lbers.....You have to hit the river channels, and deep water.. I love fishing out there. BTW, Gar is the best "cut" bait ever!!!!!!

I've only fished on the pier all this time. Never tried Oconee River yet; where's the deep side @? I might try Oconee one more time if i knew some hotspots

Double_0_Rusty
11-06-2008, 10:07 PM
I usually go to "the bridge an a half" it's out past Redlands boat dock, basically it's 278 hwy....ummm hard to explain...you have to be in a boat to get there....

It's actually called the Appalachee River...lol but it feeds into Lake Oconee. it's kinda shallow, unless you hit the middle of it, and you have 18-20ft of water below you.lol

Hell, next time you're out this way...send me a PM. get some fish in them coolers.

coreyctr1980
11-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Your best bet for a cheap fishing pole combo is a zebco 33. They are very cheap and very reliable.

Double_0_Rusty
11-06-2008, 10:16 PM
zebco 33's are teh win....i still use mine alot, and i have had them for years!

fawk_you
11-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks for all the input guys! I cant wait to go. :)

RandomGuy
11-07-2008, 03:49 AM
i go fishing all the time... a good spot is "west point" a near alabama/ga border... its hard to go there and NOT catch something, there's some giant cats in there and etc...

some awesome home made bait i heard about online that doesn't smell like shit and works 10x better than the shitbait is: (look it up for exact recipe)

get some boneless chicken breasts.... uncooked
cut them into small peices

cover it with strawberry flavored jello powder

let it marinate...

and fish...

but yeah nice seein u at the V, i had to head out early to take care of somethin

fawk_you
11-07-2008, 08:05 AM
No worries bro, great seeing you too for a split sec. :)

Thanks for the tips, and I am sure that would work out good for me, or well better considering I live almost in AL. haha