PDA

View Full Version : F1 news: Renault finishes 4th in constructors, that means Alonzo must stay for 2009!

EJ25RUN
11-05-2008, 11:54 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/11/alonso_piquet.jpg
Oh and so does Piquet...blah blah

Autoblog....

Now that the 2008 Formula One championship is decided, teams will begin moving on confirming their drivers for next season. And while several already have, one major question mark has just been resolved as Renault has confirmed the extension of Fernando Alonso's contract. And not just for next season, but through 2010. Along with it, they've confirmed his team-mate's contract through next season as well, giving the team continuity for its upcoming assault on the title.

Renault managed a notable recovery in the latter part of this season that saw Alonso win two races back to back. And while that may be a far cry from the two titles he won with the team a couple of years back, it's a start. That no doubt had a positive impact on Fernando's decision to stay with the team, but insiders were surprised to see him sign for two more years instead of one. Meanwhile, though Nelson Piquet Jr. had a rough start to the season, he managed to pull off some noteworthy performances when the team found its form again, earning him a renewal as well.

The hirings should allow the rest of F1's teams, now relieved of the suspense, to confirm their drivers for next season. So far, Ferrari, McLaren, BMW Sauber, Williams and now Renault have announced they're sticking with the same pairings, and Red Bull has confirmed Sebastian Vettel is moving up to take Coulthard's seat alongside Mark Webber, leaving Toro Rosso, Toyota, Honda and Force India to announce their drivers for the upcoming season. Stay tuned.

He is on for 2010 as well.

By 2011, a Ferrari seat might open and that is what Alonzo wants most.

SampaGuy
11-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Im happy Piquet got another chance. Not sure he deserves it. That Alonso is going to stay in Renault was kind of obvious, although his dumbass tried to make some suspense "I wont decide until after the last race" BS, probably annoyed Renault. Is Lucas Di Grassi still the test driver?

Did you hear that Bruno Senna offered Torro Rosso $14 Million for a seat in 2009? I cant understand how he can possibly be ready for F1...

EJ25RUN
11-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Im happy Piquet got another chance. Not sure he deserves it. That Alonso is going to stay in Renault was kind of obvious, although his dumbass tried to make some suspense "I wont decide until after the last race" BS, probably annoyed Renault. Is Lucas Di Grassi still the test driver?

Did you hear that Bruno Senna offered Torro Rosso $14 Million for a seat in 2009? I cant understand how he can possibly be ready for F1...

Well there were talks from Ross Brawn who is always worth a listen but Alonzo as a development man has brought the R28 to be a race winner and the preseason contract said that if Renault finished higher than 4th he must stay.

Not a bad thing i feel for him.

He is the #1 Man at Renault in the same way Schumi was in his Ferrari days. The team works around him like McLaren works around Lewis. Ferrari has 2 drivers who both get equal treatment and BMW cant decide between Kubica and Heidfeld. I mention Heidfeld because he had a better end of year and in racing, only your last race counts. (Kubica is the future though!)

Alonzo should create an environment around himself at Renault the same way Schumi did at Ferrari from 2000-2004 (the whole team works for him). He will be a front runner every race then.

Now Bruno Senna.

The MAIN reasons why he should/will be in F1.

1. Toro Rosso needs money....he has money.

2. Piquet & Nakajima. Never won the GP2 crown but are still in F1.
Oh.....and both are descendants of former drivers.

I'm sure you've heard of another Senna ;)

3. He can bring sponsors and has huge media appeal on himself. The name Senna is on the same level as Andretti and Schumacher. He is already in Video Games (Ferrari Challenge) and has even appeared on an episode of 5th Gear. He is also more famous than GP2 champ Pantano.

I am a bit disappointed in him for not taking park in next weeks Macau F3 race.

I know Grassi is the test driver at Renault but i dont know of his plans for 2009. His website has no info either.

SampaGuy
11-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Bruno Senna is 25 yrs old... he used to race go karts when he was very young until Ayrton died. Then his family (understandingly) made him stop racing. He stayed completely away from racing for 10 years until 2004 (only 4 years ago!). So my fear is that they give him a seat because of his last name, and he ends up sucking because he doesnt have the experience the other drivers have.

I just read that Honda will be keeping Jenson Button, and the other seat will be either Barrichello, Lucas Di Grassi, or Bruno Senna. Senna will be testing with them in 2 weeks.

There are 2 Brazilians confirmed for 2009, Massa and Piquet, but possibly there will be 5 (a record) depending on Honda and Torro Rosso.

EJ25RUN
11-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Bruno Senna is 25 yrs old... he used to race go karts when he was very young until Ayrton died. Then his family (understandingly) made him stop racing. He stayed completely away from racing for 10 years until 2004 (only 4 years ago!). So my fear is that they give him a seat because of his last name, and he ends up sucking because he doesnt have the experience the other drivers have.

I just read that Honda will be keeping Jenson Button, and the other seat will be either Barrichello, Lucas Di Grassi, or Bruno Senna. Senna will be testing with them in 2 weeks.

There are 2 Brazilians confirmed for 2009, Massa and Piquet, but possibly there will be 5 (a record) depending on Honda and Torro Rosso.

Senna was the runner up in the GP2 series this year and was victorious in two races. Yes, i know Di Grassi entered the series at round 7 but that's just the way it is. Late aged talents have entered F1 before and went on to be champions (Look at Damon Hill). Senna will be in F1. Whether the season is 2009 or 2010 is still up in the air.