PDA

View Full Version : Stuttering under WOT/high throttle

Catnip
11-05-2008, 10:13 AM
OK! New problem.

Engine: JDM GSR w/MSD 6AL/MSD coil/MSD plug wires/MSD cap/button/NGK bkr7es plugs

While the car is cool, it doesn't have this problem, but once it warms up the slightest bit, it will stutter at any RPM under WOT or high throttle. Sounds like a timing 2 step. Any ideas? New distributor cap, plugs, rotor button, and the plug wires look new. Idles perfect and low throttle feels perfect, no wideband so I can't tell what it's doing while it's stuttering.

Motivation
11-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Does it stutter just at first at full throttle? Or is it the whole time you are in full throttle?

Catnip
11-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Does it stutter just at first at full throttle? Or is it the whole time you are in full throttle?

The whole time.

The GSX would stutter, POP!, then haul ass... lol.
This one just stutters.

boosted b
11-05-2008, 10:35 AM
did u mess with the timing belt at all recently

Motivation
11-05-2008, 10:35 AM
The whole time.

The GSX would stutter, POP!, then haul ass... lol.
This one just stutters.

:lmfao:

hmmm... VTEC turbo lag? :ninja:

Did you change ANYTHING around recently or mess with anything?

Catnip
11-05-2008, 10:39 AM
:lmfao:

hmmm... VTEC turbo lag? :ninja:

Did you change ANYTHING around recently or mess with anything?

Full tune up, minus the plug wires since they're 8.5mm MSD. It was hesitating before the tune up, which is why I did it. But it wouldn't completely stutter, now it's horrible.
Haven't messed with the timing belt at all.

Motivation
11-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Fuel filter? make sure all the injectors are working right? I dunno, just trying to narrow it down...

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2417834

Kaiser
11-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Sounds, to be honest, like it's getting too much fuel. You could try removing the air filter and running it just once to see how that works for you.

Elbow
11-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Yeah check fuel things, timing, throwing any codes?

Catnip
11-05-2008, 09:21 PM
I had a friend look at it, he reset the ECU and it's stopped. Any ideas why?

Vteckidd
11-05-2008, 09:23 PM
your Distributor is going bad. the ignitor or coil. if it does it again watch your tach and see if it jumps around and gets erratic.

Vteckidd
11-05-2008, 09:24 PM
and sell all the MSD Crap, its not needed Stock ignition can handle 500whp. The MSD only causes PROBLEMS

Kaiser
11-05-2008, 09:29 PM
I would trust Kidd on this 100%.

jcs
11-05-2008, 10:29 PM
and sell all the MSD Crap, its not needed Stock ignition can handle 500whp. The MSD only causes PROBLEMS

wow didnt know that reps for you sir..

Motivation
11-06-2008, 12:00 AM
Glad you got it running, bro.

scttydb411
11-06-2008, 08:09 PM
anytime i see that problem this is the steps i suggest:
1. ngk plugs? a lot of the honda's i see with this issue have bosch or autolites...blah!
2. stock wires or ngk wires? honda's seem to have issues with any other brand wires. msd sometimes work fine, but if you've already changed plugs try stock or ngk wires.
3. stock cap/rotor? an old or loose rotor will cause all sorts of issues. don't buy the cheap aftermarket ones...get the honda.
4. coil or icm check...swapping a known good dist will usually point this out.
5. check timing belt.
6. if all else fails then check afr, fuel filter, pump, etc.

Catnip
11-16-2008, 02:16 PM
ok, it's still having the problem!

here's what I've replaced:
1. spark plugs, using NGK BKR7es-11
2. MSD distributor cap/rotor button (have to b/c the external coil)
3. fuel filter
4. tried a friends set of knowingly good spark plug wires
5. tried a friends knowingly good ECU

We pulled the spark plugs a couple days ago and all were good except #3, it was lean. I pulled them today and they're all looking the same... lean.

I forgot to add that it's idling like a harley and backfiring at idle, will cruise smoothly at like 4000-5000 rpms. It will run smoothly when it's cold, enough power to still spin 2nd, but at soon as it hits 150 degrees, it's going to barely run

redrumracer
11-16-2008, 02:24 PM
fuel pump

Catnip
11-16-2008, 06:59 PM
put it a set of good injectors tonight, no change...

Tech5
11-16-2008, 07:23 PM
sounds to me your MSD is getting hot an shutting down causing a MIsfire!
I had many built hondas, an never used the MSD crap put it back to stock an check it out

Tech5
11-16-2008, 07:26 PM
or your ignition timing is off like crossed plug wires if you can get it to me Ill check it out lmk

firing order
1-3-4-2

Tech5
11-16-2008, 07:29 PM
I would say either MSD COIL crap! which is Known for failure,
or you crossed the wires

Catnip
11-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Well I took off the plug wires one at a time, and it runs fine when it's cold. So i think I agree with either the coil or actual MSD box is going out. I will call MSD tomorrow to see what they say.

Thanks a lot for checking this out for me, repped.

Tech5
11-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Your welcome hope that helps man...Just put it back stock...You dont need the MSD man I promise... it looks good thats it....

BTW I had a friend that had that too and racing it after about 10 runs it started to over heat an misfiring ,cause him about 100 bucks lol

I never had one issue with a Good/New Dizzy! and I have many high HP cars!

Catnip
11-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Your welcome hope that helps man...Just put it back stock...You dont need the MSD man I promise... it looks good thats it....

BTW I had a friend that had that too and racing it after about 10 runs it started to over heat an misfiring ,cause him about 100 bucks lol

I never had one issue with a Good/New Dizzy! and I have many high HP cars!

To go back to stock, what all would it take? Assuming you're familiar with a MSD setup on a honda

DarKStaR
11-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Man if i would have known you were running msd stuff i would have told you that might be your problem. I would put everything back stock. Should just need factory honda cap,and wires.

Catnip
11-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Man if i would have known you were running msd stuff i would have told you that might be your problem. I would put everything back stock. Should just need factory honda cap,and wires.

Just cut the wires going to the MSD and tape them off?

DarKStaR
11-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Is it and actuall msd dizzy? if so then replace it with a factory one.

Catnip
11-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Is it and actuall msd dizzy? if so then replace it with a factory one.

Stock distributor wired for an external MSD coil and also has MSD 6AL... :(

Barefoot
11-17-2008, 02:22 PM
replied to your pm

rrutter81
11-17-2008, 03:01 PM
OK! New problem.

Engine: JDM GSR w/MSD 6AL/MSD coil/MSD plug wires/MSD cap/button/NGK bkr7es plugs

While the car is cool, it doesn't have this problem, but once it warms up the slightest bit, it will stutter at any RPM under WOT or high throttle. Sounds like a timing 2 step. Any ideas? New distributor cap, plugs, rotor button, and the plug wires look new. Idles perfect and low throttle feels perfect, no wideband so I can't tell what it's doing while it's stuttering.

sorry i didnt read more than 4 posts after this....

i had this same problem when it got colder and in the upper rpms it would skip and stutter.

here is the most likely problem:

1: The plug gap isnt narrow enough (my issue was blowout)
2: Try the NGK BKR7Es. (Yes they are copper but incredibly reliable)
3: Coils going bad (unlikely since they dont go bad after a tuneup)
4: Wire grounding (if you have good wires this is also unlikely but check connections)

hope it helps. edit: n/m saw you had a distributor...disregard some of the above then.

Catnip
11-17-2008, 08:29 PM
sorry i didnt read more than 4 posts after this....

i had this same problem when it got colder and in the upper rpms it would skip and stutter.

here is the most likely problem:

1: The plug gap isnt narrow enough (my issue was blowout)
2: Try the NGK BKR7Es. (Yes they are copper but incredibly reliable)
3: Coils going bad (unlikely since they dont go bad after a tuneup)
4: Wire grounding (if you have good wires this is also unlikely but check connections)

hope it helps. edit: n/m saw you had a distributor...disregard some of the above then.

thanks for the reply.

1: Plugs gapped at 44 like NGK recommends.
2: Exactly what I have!
3: Bought a new coil today! So we will see if this works. It was stuttering before the tune up though:bump:
4: We hooked up a few grounds and it was still shitty, so refer to 3 :D

scttydb411
11-18-2008, 05:51 PM
plug gap is too wide...gap to 28 then try again. if it still happens then try a known good dist w/o the msd items. if it still does it it's time to get a wideband on it to make sure you're not too lean/rich and datalog to see if anything else appears out of sorts.

go back to the checklist i posted earlier. feel free to call me if you want to discuss. 678-614-3596.

Tech5
11-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Plug gap for OEM honda is .44
plug gap is too wide...gap to 28 then try again. if it still happens then try a known good dist w/o the msd items. if it still does it it's time to get a wideband on it to make sure you're not too lean/rich and datalog to see if anything else appears out of sorts.

go back to the checklist i posted earlier. feel free to call me if you want to discuss. 678-614-3596.

mitch lab
11-19-2008, 08:24 AM
My guess would be dizzy or tps

scttydb411
11-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Plug gap for OEM honda is .44

thought i read he was boosted...my bad.

n/a go to 40-44.

Catnip
11-19-2008, 09:02 PM
New coil today... doesn't run any better... LOL

dad is saying my new plugs might be cracked

boostedsubi
12-02-2008, 11:51 PM
i use msd on my 91 mustang and tried to use it on my 94 civic ex (b18 swap) but the honda didnt take it. i had similar problems that you are having. i just put the stock crap back on and went a step hotter on the plugs and boom instant fix and i must say the honda is a stout little ride. not as bad ass as the mustang though...
hope your probem is fixed man