PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: MEMBERS

ahmonrah
11-05-2008, 01:33 AM
For the first time in recorded american history, a "PERSON OF COLOR" has been named or elected president/commander-in-chief of the most powerful/influential country in the world. this is something that most people, if not all, in this country either never thought they'd see, or simply didnt want to see. but now it's a reality.

I called my grandfather, who was a sharecropper, telling him the news and for the first time that i've known ever, he cried. i've heard the stories of him escaping lynch mobs, participating in the great migration, which took many like him(sharecroppers, uneducated and a decendents of slaves) to chicago, where i was born. now for my grandfather to see that a man that looks like him....now being proclaimed the elected president of this same country is a great deal.

but beyond that...what has been done today makes it known that, if this is the "GREAT MELTING POT" that we've been led to think of as the united states, then ANYONE regardless of ethnic history, so long as your an american citizen with a solid background can, and should become president, from the bosnian kid that's born in the united states to indians(red dot), asian and latinos who are first or second generation americans to be able to reach the same pinnacle that OBAMA and prior presidents have reached.

it still goes to say that we have to see how he will perform as our president of the USA, and knowing he's going to be scrutinized more than any other person that's taken the position of president and he, i'm sure, is well aware of the challenges that he will face and the staunch criticism of a black man even being in the presidential seat.

my hope is now that this milestone in history has come forth, this country will open its mind to the fact that any person, regardless of their racial background, can and should aspire to reach this position and if they have what it takes to do so, become the president.

my next vote for president in 2025 is either SLEDLUDE, DIRTYOCTOPUS, THINKFAST OR RANDOMGUY!!!

MachNU
11-05-2008, 01:36 AM
I would agree with you, but the sad thing is this race turned into a vote for race, and not standards!

BanginJimmy
11-05-2008, 01:43 AM
I seriusly doubt he will be under much critisim if the press he got while he was running is any indicator. Just like Clinton, Obama will do able to do no wrong while he is in the white house and republican's racism and/or partism will be blamed for any short comings. My guess is the fact that he doesnt need a single republican vote, and has a few democrat votes to spare for the next 2 years is not mentioned.

stephen
11-05-2008, 02:03 AM
For the first time in recorded american history, a "PERSON OF COLOR" has been named or elected president/commander-in-chief of the most powerful/influential country in the world. this is something that most people, if not all, in this country either never thought they'd see, or simply didnt want to see. but now it's a reality.

I called my grandfather, who was a sharecropper, telling him the news and for the first time that i've known ever, he cried. i've heard the stories of him escaping lynch mobs, participating in the great migration, which took many like him(sharecroppers, uneducated and a decendents of slaves) to chicago, where i was born. now for my grandfather to see that a man that looks like him....now being proclaimed the elected president of this same country is a great deal.

but beyond that...what has been done today makes it known that, if this is the "GREAT MELTING POT" that we've been led to think of as the united states, then ANYONE regardless of ethnic history, so long as your an american citizen with a solid background can, and should become president, from the bosnian kid that's born in the united states to indians(red dot), asian and latinos who are first or second generation americans to be able to reach the same pinnacle that OBAMA and prior presidents have reached.

it still goes to say that we have to see how he will perform as our president of the USA, and knowing he's going to be scrutinized more than any other person that's taken the position of president and he, i'm sure, is well aware of the challenges that he will face and the staunch criticism of a black man even being in the presidential seat.

my hope is now that this milestone in history has come forth, this country will open its mind to the fact that any person, regardless of their racial background, can and should aspire to reach this position and if they have what it takes to do so, become the president.

my next vote for president in 2025 is either DIRTYOCTOPUS, THINKFAST!! OR RANDOMGUY!!!

that was pretty deep man. i experienced the same thing with a lot of older people in my family...they were in tears.

it kinda makes me feel good inside...my vote was for the man's policies...but it just adds that extra "good" feeling to know that the majority of this country has come so far. a lot of people will never understand the "historical" importance of him winning (other issues are yet to be determined). SOME people will never understand what it's like to grow up with your parents telling you "you may not always have certain chances because of the color of your skin," "maybe you'll grow up to be the first black _____(fill in the blank)"etc.

i understand this election won't put an end to all of that...but it does give me something POSITIVE i can tell my children & grandchildren about the color of their skin. let's hope he can pull through with his policies and give EVERYONE OF ALL RACES a story to tell their kids.

ahmonrah
11-05-2008, 02:46 AM
that was pretty deep man. i experienced the same thing with a lot of older people in my family...they were in tears.

it kinda makes me feel good inside...my vote was for the man's policies...but it just adds that extra "good" feeling to know that the majority of this country has come so far. a lot of people will never understand the Historical importance of him winning (other issues are yet to be determined). SOME people will never understand what it's like to grow up with your parents telling you "you may not always have certain chances because of the color of your skin," "maybe you'll grow up to be the first black _____(fill in the blank)"etc.

i understand this election won't put an end to all of that...but it does give me something POSITIVE i can tell my children & grandchildren about the color of their skin. let's hope he can pull through with his policies and give EVERYONE OF ALL RACES a story to tell their kids.EXACTLY MY POINT.....and an adjustment of what you said that's highlighted "maybe you'll grow up to be the NEXT (insert race)_____(fill in the blank)"
and be able to show an example(which we have now) that it's a goal that's actually ATTAINABLE.

i have to go back to something i told myself when it seemed like all was looked messed up when i was coming up, and that was, " whatever I do, DON'T just 'reach for the sky'...shoot for the STARS, that way if you do fall, at least you'll land on a cloud' " and even now that little saying keeps me motivated that i can get outta myself what i want.

even though i've recently hit 30, and it took some time to make it to my goal that i set when i was a kid of being a "computer scientist" (lol, that's what i thought it was, but electronic engineer in actuality, when talking about designing electronics), after experiencing a taste of it as an avionics tech at 17yo(military), finally i'm re-enrolled in college with the mission of accomplishing that very goal. sure i'll be 32 or 33 when i graduate, but it's something that I want.

SPOOLIN
11-05-2008, 05:00 AM
congratulations. We are now officially fucked for the next 4-8 years.

We are about to cower away from iraq with our tails between our legs. See you guys on the other side.

JDMEK18
11-05-2008, 05:46 AM
I was extremely excited for Obama and what this win means to African Americans last night.. Some people will never know how this has made several Americans life complete. Slavery will no longer be the major point in history that African Americans are known for - but now it will be that we made history in 2008 / the First African American President. To God be the Glory....

I'm excited about Obama's policy and the fact that he is the first African American President is the "Icing on the Cake"

I'm gonna get out of these crazy forums now cause i don't want anything to take this moment away from me...

The Ren
11-05-2008, 06:09 AM
I think its a great thing.. but unfortunately as michael said.. alot of people voted for Obama simply because hes black and not his principles..

4dmin
11-05-2008, 07:32 AM
I think its a great thing.. but unfortunately as michael said.. alot of people voted for Obama simply because hes black and not his principles..

i don't understand where you guys keep saying this like it was any different 4 years ago... also 60% of Obamas voters where WHITE. honestly i think we had possibly Bradley effect but on McCain. this was a race of age not ethnicity.

obama won every age group except senior citizens. that says a whole lot.

tony
11-05-2008, 07:50 AM
Seriously, you look at the exit polls and in any given state blacks didn't make up more than 20% of the voting population. Were white people voting for Obama cause he's black too? Please do not dismiss him as just the black candidate.

I volunteered for the Obama campaign and 90% of the volunteers I worked with were White, contrary popular belief Obama has a TON of white support.

4dmin
11-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Seriously, you look at the exit polls and in any given state blacks didn't make up more than 20% of the voting population. Were white people voting for Obama cause he's black too? Please do not dismiss him as just the black candidate.

I volunteered for the Obama campaign and 90% of the volunteers I worked with were White, contrary popular belief Obama has a TON of white support.

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/db/2008/db081105.gif