PDA

View Full Version : this is just horrible

2rotor
11-03-2008, 07:19 PM
I changed the oil on a 98 323i today. The customer had stated he had suspected the guy that he was taking his car to wasn't changing his oil....
Might I just say.... suspicions confirmed!

this stuff wasn't soft and jelly like it looks, it was hard as hell, kind of waxy.
this car rocks synthetic oil, so for those of you who kinda slide on maintenance, this is what happens!

thank god for oil bypass valves, otherwise, his motor would be totally toasted.

the first picture is what a normal filter looks like clean, its a different brand, so the end cap is different, but the medium is the same.

Bpeterson
11-03-2008, 07:38 PM
holy shit that sucks

E=MC˛
11-03-2008, 08:16 PM
someone would be getting an ass kicking

EG6
11-03-2008, 09:10 PM
holy shit...is there any type of suit he could file against this "company"? I'd at least go about contacting the BBB to notify them. I don't see why people skimp on changing oil. Takes 15-20 mins to do it properly.

Kaiser
11-03-2008, 11:24 PM
It takes less than that to do it properly on a honda at Jiffy-Lube. Six minutes is plenty of time. Eight maybe Ten on a BMW or anything else with a cartridge style filter. If you take it to a tire place it takes a bit more time, they have scissor style racks that the car has to be positioned on and lifted carefully rather than drive-over pits like the quicklubes. Also means only one person can do the oil change rather than a team of 3-5. Regardless, for some people it's just "too much money" and "too inconvenient." I personally don't understand how even 60-70 every two or three months is too much money for people who drive a gas tank a week out of an SUV.

SiRed94
11-03-2008, 11:29 PM
OWNED

Joelow30071
11-04-2008, 01:14 AM
Another reason why we should should do some of the car maintenance ourselves

2rotor
11-04-2008, 05:57 PM
holy shit...is there any type of suit he could file against this "company"? I'd at least go about contacting the BBB to notify them. I don't see why people skimp on changing oil. Takes 15-20 mins to do it properly.

i have my own suspicions, i think he may have been having an individual do his service, or some super podunk garage.
maybe he knew he hadn't changed his oil in forever and wanted to save face. sometimes customers make stuff up for that very reason.

NAIZBST
11-04-2008, 06:41 PM
damn I have seen that with an old jeep cherokee that I worked on

LIKEG6
11-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Saw that on an ecotec one time lol

The people didn't even know the last time they had changed the oil

Some people kill me these days

Such as there is a hybrid civic that comes in and we recommend tires every time and he never gets them. He will probably only care once they blow out and then somehow it will be our fault.

Nittanys1
11-04-2008, 06:47 PM
wow thats insane!!!

SixSquared
11-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Nuts. I was watching a thing on the news a few months ago where they went to a few Jiffy-Lube type places around Atlanta and asked for "full services" like changing air filters and what not.. the news crew numbered all of the things they requested be changed... the oil filter they wrote a number 1 on, 2 on air filter, 3 on fuel filter, etc etc... of the like 10 places they went, NONE of them changed everything that they charged them for.

Lesson? Get down on the ground and do it yourself if you want it done right. *sigh*

Way cheaper, too... 5qts of Mobil 1 is like $22 at Wally World. Mucho cheaper than taking it somewhere.

Kaiser
11-05-2008, 09:26 PM
While I'm not gonna argue with you about it, we had one of those news cars come through my store when I was assistant manager of a Jiffy Lube. We changed everything on there, and I found the numbers on all of them. I asked them if I could get a prize for finding everything. Me, one of my close friends who was a store manager, and two other store managers joked about it on a conference call. None of us were featured in the special. The next month at the monthly store managers meeting it turned out that out of nearly 75 Jiffy Lubes, 40-50 of the store managers had gotten the same kind of thing happen to them. I specifically noticed the big news van sitting in a parking lot through the trees when it happened.

I'm again not going to argue with you about the merits of quicklube centers, that's pointless since there's a reason I don't work there any more, instead I'm going to point out that investigative reporting thrives on negative results. Never will you find an "iTeam Investigation" that doesn't discover something abjectly horrible that's also been yanked thoroughly out of context.

Oh and for what it's worth. I do all my own work on my cars, and I suggest anyone who trully honestly cares about their car do the same, or take it to the dealership and watch them like a hawk. If a dealership was caught doing something like this, you'd have a good chance of getting quite a bit of mileage from it, whereas a mom'n'pops or even a Quicklube chain can duck serious reprecussions from it.

G.C
11-05-2008, 11:14 PM
That thing is a fossil.....