PDA

View Full Version : another IRS tax related thread.

ksniperfox
11-01-2008, 09:44 AM
long story short:
-state says i owe $140 in taxes after i file for 2007. i mail a check on 04.14.08 and forget about it,
-check is posted on my account 08.07.08
-ive gotten 2 letters in the past 2 months saying i still owe $140, and not only that, but late penalties AND interest totalling $158.

i went to my bank and had them print a copy of the check and i wrote a nice formal ass kissing letter with copy of said check back to them(they listed an option to appeal their letter demanding payment). did that yesterday.

thoughts/opinions/tips on resolution?

as usual, + reps given for helpful info.

JennB
11-01-2008, 12:33 PM
I've had a lot of success getting the IRS to forgive penalties in such situations, I've also filed appeals with Texas, Indiana, Virginia and a few other states. I haven't worked in public accounting since moving to GA though so I don't know how they are. I had Texas remove about $80K in penalties once. Good luck. I would think they would forgive that, it's such a small amount when you think of what they deal with every day. If the letter doesn't work, give them a call but I doubt you'll have to.

tony
11-01-2008, 12:33 PM
This happened to me, the problem was they posted the check to my 2008 tax return for and not 2007.. a simple phone call straightened everything out.

My check was for $2200 by the way so I was a bit panicked when I still got the notice in the mail afterwards.