PDA

View Full Version : Handling Mods Wheel offset change?

Carbon~IS
09-07-2005, 05:34 PM
Does anyone know where I can go to change my wheels' offset from 42 to a 47-50ish?? It was suggested to me by someone, and I have no idea where to start looking.

Thanks!

HiPSI
09-07-2005, 05:51 PM
why would you want to decrease the offset of your wheels? that would involve having the mounting surface of the hub machined down by 5-8mm, which would need to be done by a machine shop of some kind.

but again, why would you want to do that?

you understand that doing as you said it would move the wheels in closer to the body and narrow the track of the car correct?

Carbon~IS
09-07-2005, 07:29 PM
The thing is when I purchase my wheels 18x7.5 w/ 42offset, i did not know that this disabled me from lowering my car. After searching for different springs, there were no other options...

This idea was given to me by someone who made the same mistake as I, and he offered this option. I personally never heard of this procedure before, and I just wanted to do some research and talk to a professional about doing this to my new wheels. I understand what the procedure is accomplishing, but I am not sure of the consequences of this action. Hence asking if anyone knew a place where they did this sort of a thing.

Thanks for the reply and giving me a warning! Really appreciate you looking out.

PS: do you think it would "weaken" my wheels??

HiPSI
09-07-2005, 08:59 PM
if you only took 5-8mm off the hub surface i don't believe it would hurt/weaken them. main thing here is to measure your backspacing and make sure you have enough room to move the wheel/tire combo back that distance. you could run a stretched tire to give more clearance near the fender lip, of course as well as roll the fenders. there are other ways that may be much easier to make the wheels clear.

just for reference what car are these wheels going on?

Carbon~IS
09-08-2005, 12:02 AM
They are already on a Mazda 3. The guy who told me about this HAD to do this on his Mazda 3 due to the front wheel scrubbing BAD. Right now it sticks out about 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch. The problem only occurs in the front wheels and the lowest offset founded to work was a 45offset. I just wanted to have a little more clearance just to make sure. The other guy had it done at a local shop in NJ and went from 42 to an 47 and now he is running on eibach sportlines(2" front and rear) the most severe drop for Mazda3 without going to a coilover system.

Hope that gives you an idea of why I am trying to do this... By the way, would you happen to know any shops that you can recommend for this job?? I called a few places and they just didn't have the equipment to do this(so they say).

Jon00
09-08-2005, 10:42 AM
They are already on a Mazda 3. The guy who told me about this HAD to do this on his Mazda 3 due to the front wheel scrubbing BAD. Right now it sticks out about 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch. The problem only occurs in the front wheels and the lowest offset founded to work was a 45offset. I just wanted to have a little more clearance just to make sure. The other guy had it done at a local shop in NJ and went from 42 to an 47 and now he is running on eibach sportlines(2" front and rear) the most severe drop for Mazda3 without going to a coilover system.

Hope that gives you an idea of why I am trying to do this... By the way, would you happen to know any shops that you can recommend for this job?? I called a few places and they just didn't have the equipment to do this(so they say).

ask vteckid

HiPSI
09-08-2005, 10:50 AM

all it would take is a machine shop with a decent mill to do it. basically they'd need to set the wheel on the mill with the face down and machine your desired amount off of the hub surface from the back side of the wheel.

Carbon~IS
09-08-2005, 02:12 PM
yea, but what if they don;t make it flat... i will be screwed!

Carbon~IS
09-08-2005, 02:13 PM
ask vteckid

does he do this kind of thing, or has he done this to his wheels??

HiPSI
09-08-2005, 03:11 PM
yea, but what if they don;t make it flat... i will be screwed!

well any machine shop should be able to easily make it flat as needed, 90% of the work machine shops do is based on precise tolerances.

and no, vteckidd can't do it himself but may know of a machine shop that can do it.

luvleexcivic
04-08-2006, 05:44 PM
come c me, i'll sell u the right wheels. j/k