PDA

View Full Version : bodywork question

DecoyOctopus
10-30-2008, 12:51 AM
lets say i got some holes to fill up. i cant get to behind the holes and like weld something to the panel to give the body filler something to hold on to so how would i go about doing this. any tips tricks?

X-Runner
10-30-2008, 12:53 AM
How big are the holes? If like screw holes from a dent puller dont worry about them, go right over. If bigger you gotta weld them up.

DecoyOctopus
10-30-2008, 01:00 AM
its bigger then a screw. a 10mm bolt fits in there perfect. but dude i cant get to the back to weld anything and i know that cant be the end of the story.

X-Runner
10-30-2008, 01:03 AM
You weld the hole up, from the outside. No need to put anything behind it.

DecoyOctopus
10-30-2008, 01:05 AM
ok well i was hoping i wouldnt have to weld. but i guess i do so what would i weld on top cuz i need it to be flush and i dont think i can just weld a piece of metal across the holes and have it not be noticable. any links to instructions would be great. i looked but no luck finding something that explains welding from the front.

OTG Signs
10-30-2008, 04:55 AM
It's best to weld it up. Use metal as best you can and then body filler to help make it smooth, not to fill it.

speedminded
10-30-2008, 07:01 AM
lets say i got some holes to fill up. i cant get to behind the holes and like weld something to the panel to give the body filler something to hold on to so how would i go about doing this. any tips tricks?Assume you're shaving molding? Welding is a bad idea if it's a car built in the last 25+ years with thin sheet metal...not saying it can't be done but without keeping the metal at precisely the right temperature its going to be wavy beyond repair.

X-Runner
10-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Assume you're shaving molding? Welding is a bad idea if it's a car built in the last 25+ years with thin sheet metal...not saying it can't be done but without keeping the metal at precisely the right temperature its going to be wavy beyond repair.

He has a very good point I didnt even think about. You need to be damn good or you will destroy the panel like he said.

speedminded
10-30-2008, 04:24 PM
He has a very good point I didnt even think about. You need to be damn good or you will destroy the panel like he said.Yah, heat will cause the sheet metal to contract at the welds and then you end up with a door that looks like corrugated metal roofing :tongue:

When he says damn good he's mean practically TÜV certified.

Mine... :ninja: