PDA

View Full Version : Misc F*CK SONY PS3 AND BLU RAY... 360 HD MOVIE DOWNLOADS!!!

4dmin
10-29-2008, 11:53 AM
F*CK SONY PS3 AND BLU RAY... 360 HD MOVIE DOWNLOADS!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/external/gigaom/2008/10/29/29gigaom-netflix-hd-streams-coming-to-xbox-10864.html

discuss.

VIP Style
10-29-2008, 12:04 PM
lol please ps3> all day, i have both, i like my ps3 better, but they both nice systems

Vteckidd
10-29-2008, 12:11 PM
good luck with that tiny 150 gig hardrive

Vteckidd
10-29-2008, 12:12 PM
id like to see how good a streaming Blu Ray is going to be.

are they going to let you DOWNLOAD and keep movies if you pay for them or is this just streaming only?

AlanŽ
10-29-2008, 01:46 PM
What's the biggest hard drive you can put in a PS3 right now? Do you have to put something special in it? I know it runs on laptop hard drives but.

Oh and HD for HD

PS3>360 sorry

Ran
10-29-2008, 01:59 PM
are they going to let you DOWNLOAD and keep movies if you pay for them or is this just streaming only?I'm willing to bet they'll do something like other television systems have going. You pay for a movie and download it. It is then stored for a MAXIMUM of 30 days before the timer goes off and it is automatically deleted. I'll just keep download my movies and anime via BitTorrent then stick them on my PS3 as I've been doing.

What's the biggest hard drive you can put in a PS3 right now? Do you have to put something special in it? I know it runs on laptop hard drives but.The biggest factory HD for the PS3 is 120GB as of this Christmas IIRC. Not sure. You can always buy a bigger off-brand HD for it though.

AlanŽ
10-29-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm willing to bet they'll do something like other television systems have going. You pay for a movie and download it. It is then stored for a MAXIMUM of 30 days before the timer goes off and it is automatically deleted. I'll just keep download my movies and anime via BitTorrent then stick them on my PS3 as I've been doing.

The biggest factory HD for the PS3 is 120GB as of this Christmas IIRC. Not sure. You can always buy a bigger off-brand HD for it though.
Yea thats what I was thinking

Ed
10-29-2008, 03:09 PM
yeah i highly doubt they will let you keep it. i love my ps3 though. i have both, and so far ps3 > 360...

i think its ridiculous that xbox charges for xbox live.

Vteckidd
10-29-2008, 05:18 PM
i just dont see how you can stream a 30 gig Blu Ray. Can you stream 30 gigs in 2 hours? FUCK NO

Can you Download 30 gigs in 2 hours, FUCK NO.

So does this mean you have to plan days in advance to watch a movie then download it, tie up your homes bandwidth?

No thanks, ill stick with BitHDTV or HD ON DEMAND

AlanŽ
10-29-2008, 05:36 PM
i just dont see how you can stream a 30 gig Blu Ray. Can you stream 30 gigs in 2 hours? FUCK NO

Can you Download 30 gigs in 2 hours, FUCK NO.

So does this mean you have to plan days in advance to watch a movie then download it, tie up your homes bandwidth?

No thanks, ill stick with BitHDTV or HD ON DEMAND
You can still get HD movies thourgh Playstation store though.

Vteckidd
10-29-2008, 05:39 PM
yeah but you can WATCH movies on the PS3 too by urchasing a BLU RAY

XBOX lost HDDVD so its worthless now.

they should just kill the 360 an develop their new system

AlanŽ
10-29-2008, 05:45 PM
yeah but you can WATCH movies on the PS3 too by urchasing a BLU RAY

XBOX lost HDDVD so its worthless now.

they should just kill the 360 an develop their new system
I haven't moved into my room yet and prolly won't until next year sometime so I don't have an HDTV yet. I keep the PS3 in the kitchen where one of the HDTV's are and Haven't downloaded one of the HD movies from the store but I will this weekend and let you know how big of a difference there is

Nex
10-30-2008, 08:22 AM
it's awsome that netflix is offering a huge library. then again these are just rentals right ? i think i would rather own blu-ray instead or ....... <-- if you know what i mean. When dling a HD content on Xbox live it could be near 4.3gb-6gb so i really dont believe it is true true HD with it being so compressed. Keep in mind you can now get a BD rom drive for 100 bux now at fry's or newegg.com.

chrisdavis
10-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Too bad Comcast has capped thier bandwidth and it wont be long before AT&T considers it

flak_monkey
10-31-2008, 06:19 AM
I'm willing to bet they'll do something like other television systems have going. You pay for a movie and download it. It is then stored for a MAXIMUM of 30 days before the timer goes off and it is automatically deleted. I'll just keep download my movies and anime via BitTorrent then stick them on my PS3 as I've been doing.

The biggest factory HD for the PS3 is 120GB as of this Christmas IIRC. Not sure. You can always buy a bigger off-brand HD for it though.Buy a 7200rpm 320gb lap top hard drive and swap them out.

eViLMunkey
10-31-2008, 03:37 PM
Sony has had HD Movie downloads for a few months now in their store. .

plus I plan on putting a 1 TB HDD in my PS3 soon (or get a 20gb and do the swapping of the drives) Also w/ HOME you will be able to stream your music, movies, and Tv shows online (the update for that should be coming soon, well at least that's what they keep telling the beta testers for HOME).

On the drive last I remember it has to be a Serial ATA drive

AlanŽ
10-31-2008, 03:39 PM
Biggest drive I have been able to find is 500 Gigs

eViLMunkey
10-31-2008, 11:40 PM
check compusa.com they have a seagate 1.5 TB, also it doesn't void your warranty on the PS3 to upgrade the HDD :goodjob:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3media&thread.id=32840 <- How to install HDD and Specs

Paree4g63
11-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Ps3 all day 24/7 for the next few years; ps2 was legendary for the past few years and still is pretty badass with some of the top ps2 games.

Blu-ray holds almost twice more storage per disc>HD doesn't
In my preference...
Sony>Microsoft

Buying and downloading HD/Blu-ray movies from your internet connection? That shiet's gonna take a LONG MINUTE and also consider it using your electricity downloading it. You're paying for the movie/game PLUS the power usage it'll take to play/watch it.

Vteckidd
11-01-2008, 11:24 PM
i download HD bluray movies already online on my computer. i think ive watched a bluray once on my ps3

Ran
11-03-2008, 12:44 PM
check compusa.com they have a seagate 1.5 TB, also it doesn't void your warranty on the PS3 to upgrade the HDD :goodjob:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3media&thread.id=32840 <- How to install HDD and SpecsThanks for the link. Reps if I can!

eViLMunkey
11-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Don't mind helping out, It gave me a huge sense of relief finding that out so I dropped in a SeaGate 320GB 7200rpm drive after I found that tidbit of info

gtrmonkey
11-10-2008, 05:07 PM
UMMM.. People all ready stream Blu ray movies, That been done since august. Every since people figured out that Dvix Blu ray convertion were only 1.2gb with only a max of 2% quailty loss. Ninjavideo.net used to host them on there site but there having problems right now so there taken down.

4dmin
11-11-2008, 07:59 AM
console to console 360 owns ps3. if i want to watch movies i would use my standalone home theater over a console - 360 game library owns ps3 all day not including xbox live is the shit.

anywho the point is 360 owners are getting access to the largest movie library including HD - we could already DL flicks through market place since 360 launch but now we have netflix which is the GOD of movie renting.

i know a few people mentioned time to DL and bandwidth but even w/ the cap it is at like 300GB... if your downloading more then that in a months time you have issues. and its streaming flicks so you aren't having to DL everything at once.

Dvix Blu ray conversion were only 1.2gb with only a max of 2% quality loss as the man said and you can stream 1.2gb pretty easily :goodjob:

ISAtlanta300
11-11-2008, 01:37 PM
console to console 360 owns ps3. if i want to watch movies i would use my standalone home theater over a console - 360 game library owns ps3 all day not including xbox live is the shit.

Uhm.. you know that the PS3 is rated one of the best, if not THE best Blu Ray player at the moment...... the PS3 IS part of my home theater :)

Plus game library is a matter of opinion. It all boils down to what kind of games you like, and so far the PS3 has met my needs.

And yea Xbox live is the pay$$$ PS3's is free...

anywho the point is 360 owners are getting access to the largest movie library including HD - we could already DL flicks through market place since 360 launch but now we have netflix which is the GOD of movie renting. .

And here is where you contradict yourself. You just stated that "if I wanted to watch movies I would use my standalone home theater over a console" and yet here you are raving about the 360 (a console) and its movie DL capabilities etc. It's either one or the other, playa :)

But yea, PS3 owners can also download or rent both Hi def and non-hi def movies. Yea the library is not as extensive, but most newer movies are on there.

gtrmonkey
11-11-2008, 01:58 PM
I really don't worry about the online movies from netflix and Such. One thing is that I don't trust the stream to be fast enough. I still have problem with VOD with comcast. You know how annoying it is to have a movie when your in the middle of it giltch up like crazy. You miss parts and etc. Then the quatily is down if they use flash and they don't use an avi. You don't get to choose the quaitily of work. When netflix and other movie companys start streaming in Divx then I will get a Netflix On Demand or something. But until the kinks get work out I will enjoy R5 rips or Blu ray rips.
The Ps3 video stores sucks, It was an nice attemped but people don't like to wait 2 hours for a video to download only to get deleted. After they watch it.

I own both systems and I honestly can say this the PS3 is a better mutli media platform for home video rentals and such. The Xbox 360 is a better online platform for downloading videos and such. The PS3 streams Slow, very slow from my media computer 2 rooms down. The 360 is ok, but not the quickest.

4dmin
11-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Uhm.. you know that the PS3 is rated one of the best, if not THE best Blu Ray player at the moment...... the PS3 IS part of my home theater :)

Plus game library is a matter of opinion. It all boils down to what kind of games you like, and so far the PS3 has met my needs.

And yea Xbox live is the pay$$$ PS3's is free...

And here is where you contradict yourself. You just stated that "if I wanted to watch movies I would use my standalone home theater over a console" and yet here you are raving about the 360 (a console) and its movie DL capabilities etc. It's either one or the other, playa :)

But yea, PS3 owners can also download or rent both Hi def and non-hi def movies. Yea the library is not as extensive, but most newer movies are on there.

i don't use my consoles for my theater even w/ ps3 being a highly rated blu ray play, but the fact that you now have access to download just about any move you can think of including HD flicks is far superior then just being able to play blu ray or even ripping and copying to your console. plus at a rate cheaper then buying a single blu ray a month. i buy all of my movies for the sheer fact of owning them and building on to my 1500+ dvd library. w/ that said it doesn't negate the fact that DL content is the future of media ;)

as far a gaming goes 360 definately has better game selection - i'm sure ps3 fan boys will be spouting FF series :rolleyes:; either way LIVE dominates online play and paying for it eliminates lots of poor annoying kiddies :tongue1:

4dmin
11-11-2008, 02:04 PM
I really don't worry about the online movies from netflix and Such. One thing is that I don't trust the stream to be fast enough. I still have problem with VOD with comcast. You know how annoying it is to have a movie when your in the middle of it giltch up like crazy. You miss parts and etc. Then the quatily is down if they use flash and they don't use an avi. You don't get to choose the quaitily of work. When netflix and other movie companys start streaming in Divx then I will get a Netflix On Demand or something. But until the kinks get work out I will enjoy R5 rips or Blu ray rips.
The Ps3 video stores sucks, It was an nice attemped but people don't like to wait 2 hours for a video to download only to get deleted. After they watch it.

I own both systems and I honestly can say this the PS3 is a better mutli media platform for home video rentals and such. The Xbox 360 is a better online platform for downloading videos and such. The PS3 streams Slow, very slow from my media computer 2 rooms down. The 360 is ok, but not the quickest.VOD works great for me it could be equipment or connection on your end. on thing i've found is that non HD feeds seem to be alittle dark. do you use media center on your 360 or home network? intelliremote is a great feature if you have an iphone to run you media center setup with. :goodjob:

EJ25RUN
11-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Admin.....are you still pitching whatever it was that went against VHS?

After owning a 360, i LOVE my ps3. Well worth it investment.

4dmin
11-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Admin.....are you still pitching whatever it was that went against VHS?

After owning a 360, i LOVE my ps3. Well worth it investment.

beta and for your information i still rock laser disc :2up:

gtrmonkey
11-11-2008, 02:22 PM
i don't use my consoles for my theater even w/ ps3 being a highly rated blu ray play, but the fact that you now have access to download just about any move you can think of including HD flicks is far superior then just being able to play blu ray or even ripping and copying to your console.

Blu ray is the higest quailty video you can get right now. Because Movie Producers are not giving out RAW Video after the edit. Hence why it The theatre looks like crap compared to Blu ray.(But is now starting to change around since more theare are getting digital instead of flim). So if Netflix wants an HD movie there getting it from Blu Ray and compressing it. And any type of compression is quality loss. Some people care some don't.

Anyways I do argee with you about your statement in the furture. When standard for internet speed goes up. Then you will be able to bring in fully uncompressed flim streamed.

plus at a rate cheaper then buying a single blu ray a month. i buy all of my movies for the sheer fact of owning them and building on to my 1500+ dvd library.

I totally agree with you on this point.

w/ that said it doesn't negate the fact that DL content is the future of media ;)

Again I agree with it being the furture of media but It is not the top right now.

as far a gaming goes 360 definately has better game selection - i'm sure ps3 fan boys will be spouting FF series :rolleyes:; either way LIVE dominates online play and paying for it eliminates lots of poor annoying kiddies :tongue1:

LOL Well there even on the gaming side. My Xbox 360 is flashed so my libary is expanding alot more quickly(Yes the Xbox 360 has more games, But also a year head start) then my ps3. But once Developer learn more about cell processing and coding you will see some pretty amazing stuff.

ISAtlanta300
11-11-2008, 02:44 PM
i don't use my consoles for my theater even w/ ps3 being a highly rated blu ray play, but the fact that you now have access to download just about any move you can think of including HD flicks is far superior then just being able to play blu ray or even ripping and copying to your console. plus at a rate cheaper then buying a single blu ray a month. i buy all of my movies for the sheer fact of owning them and building on to my 1500+ dvd library. w/ that said it doesn't negate the fact that DL content is the future of media ;)

LOL .... I buy all my movies too, so this online download does nothing for me at the moment. It is also far better to 'own' a physical disc than relying on your hdd. One red ring of death and there goes your entire collection.

DL content may be the future of media but for now Blu is king. It will be quite a while before people really go the DL way.....

AlanŽ
11-11-2008, 02:48 PM
I have both and my PS3 is part of my theatre system in my room simply because I can download movies on my computer put them on a flash drive and transfer. When I get home this weekend I'm backing everything up on my flash drive reflashing my hard drive(again) and waiting for christmas when I get my 1TB HD for my PS3.

I really don't see the argument on who has a better library as most games now are multiplatform. IMHO as far as who has the better console exclusives it's a toss up. It really depends on what kind of games you like playing.

360 out guns PS3 as far as the online goes.

4dmin
11-11-2008, 02:58 PM
LOL Well there even on the gaming side. My Xbox 360 is flashed so my libary is expanding alot more quickly(Yes the Xbox 360 has more games, But also a year head start) then my ps3. But once Developer learn more about cell processing and coding you will see some pretty amazing stuff.

we've been hearing this since launch 2 years ago :goodjob:

4dmin
11-11-2008, 03:04 PM
LOL .... I buy all my movies too, so this online download does nothing for me at the moment. It is also far better to 'own' a physical disc than relying on your hdd. One red ring of death and there goes your entire collection.

DL content may be the future of media but for now Blu is king. It will be quite a while before people really go the DL way.....

but your missing the boat on the idea... how much would it cost you to own a library the size of netflix? ok game over. DL is vast superior then owning every film put into production; since you are just downloading you dont' have to worry about your collection.

gtrmonkey
11-11-2008, 04:03 PM
LOL Good point.

EJ25RUN
11-11-2008, 05:04 PM
beta and for your information i still rock laser disc :2up:

LOL: VHS Officially Dead (For Real This Time) (http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/8196)

ISAtlanta300
11-11-2008, 05:35 PM
but your missing the boat on the idea... how much would it cost you to own a library the size of netflix? ok game over. DL is vast superior then owning every film put into production; since you are just downloading you dont' have to worry about your collection.

Why would i care to own movies I could give two shits about? Do you own movies you don't like? I don't plan on owning every film put into production and i bet you can't watch every film put into production, unless you have no life.

I'd rather pay a bit more to get the best quality sound and picture with blu-ray on my screen, that's what my theatre is designed for. DL is great if you are NOT a collector, and want the ability to watch any movie at any time when having friends over. But as a collector, i'd prob. already have the movie that I want to watch.

eViLMunkey
11-12-2008, 02:10 PM

anywho the point is 360 owners are getting access to the largest movie library including HD - we could already DL flicks through market place since 360 launch but now we have netflix which is the GOD of movie renting.

i know a few people mentioned time to DL and bandwidth but even w/ the cap it is at like 300GB... if your downloading more then that in a months time you have issues. and its streaming flicks so you aren't having to DL everything at once.

as the man said and you can stream 1.2gb pretty easily :goodjob:

Stop being an Xbox Fan Boy!! :crazy: Get a PS3 then you can properly judge. .

And also I'll stick w/ Blockbuster mail order instead of Netflix... (IMO)

gtrmonkey
11-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Blockbuster Mail FTW