PDA

View Full Version : Misc Fallout 3

Ran
10-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Got the Limited Edition last night and the strategy guide. OMG...

This game makes my pants shrink.

If you like open-ended RPG's like Oblivion then you MUST buy this game. It's f*cking awesome.

Nismo
10-29-2008, 08:41 AM
o'rly?

Sport1.3
10-29-2008, 08:42 AM
i thought i made your pants shrink?

Ran
10-29-2008, 08:52 AM
o'rly?YA RLY

I used the V.A.T.S system (slow motion targeting) to slam a baseball bat against this dude's head and it was f*cking epic.

Stormhammer
10-29-2008, 09:25 AM
hmm, its alright - you can definitely tell its based off the oblivion engine

Sport1.3
10-29-2008, 09:54 AM

please go die under the hood of your monstrosity

Ran
10-29-2008, 09:59 AM
hmm, its alright - you can definitely tell its based off the oblivion engineBeing how it's made by the same company, go figure. Besides, Oblivion was awesome as well so it's not like it's a bad thing. :D

please go die under the hood of your monstrosityIt's a Z32. No room in that engine bay. lol

Spectic Tank
10-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Picked up my Collector's Edition yesterday at lunch. Played for about 6 hours when I got home from work. This day is taking FOREVER, I need to get back to the wasteland for more V.A.T.S. headshots!

Where are you at in the game Ran? I've just been hanging around Megaton for the most part doing side quests...

Indeed, it is the same Havock engine as Oblivion with some tweaks...

Sport1.3
10-29-2008, 12:30 PM
It's a Z32. No room in that engine bay. lol

starion bro, starion

Ran
10-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Picked up my Collector's Edition yesterday at lunch. Played for about 6 hours when I got home from work. This day is taking FOREVER, I need to get back to the wasteland for more V.A.T.S. headshots!:werd: I got the Collector's Edition too. I thought about bringing my bobblehead to work, but decided to leave it in the case for now. :D

Where are you at in the game Ran? I've just been hanging around Megaton for the most part doing side quests...I just got to Megaton since I didn't get much time to play last night. A 10mm, baseball bat, and police baton are my weapons at the moment.

Hulud
10-29-2008, 02:54 PM
oblivion got boring and repetitive, so i doubt i will pick this up

Ran
10-29-2008, 03:02 PM
oblivion got boring and repetitive, so i doubt i will pick this upNot an RPG guy I take it?

Fallout is basically like taking Oblivion and mixing it with a first person shooter. lol

Ed
10-29-2008, 03:07 PM
I played oblivion and didnt enjoy it either. It's an ok game.

Hulud
10-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Not an RPG guy I take it?

Fallout is basically like taking Oblivion and mixing it with a first person shooter. lol
nah i like rpg's just oblivion was waaaaay overrated. waaay to repetitive and boring.

does fallout have the same style fighting? or is it turnbased?

btw have you played mass effect?

Ran
10-29-2008, 03:23 PM
nah i like rpg's just oblivion was waaaaay overrated. waaay to repetitive and boring.I found a lot of fun in the quests of Oblivion and making my own powerful spells. That's just me though.

does fallout have the same style fighting? or is it turnbased?Yes. It's a free-motion RPG just like Oblivion. It basically plays the same, just now with guns and bombs instead of swords and shields. The graphics are GREATLY improved but the basic gameplay is about the same. If you liked Oblivion then you'll like Fallout, but if you didn't then it may not be a prime choice for you unless you're into it for the guns, gore, and graphics.

btw have you played mass effect?I played a little at a friend's house but, since I no longer have a 360, I never got a chance to really get into it. I did get to experience the horrendous elevator rides though. lol

Spectic Tank
10-29-2008, 03:33 PM
oblivion got boring and repetitive, so i doubt i will pick this up

Having put a couple hundred hours in Oblivion, I can agree with that.

Having only played fallout for a few hours, I can already tell it's a much better game...

Spectic Tank
10-29-2008, 03:39 PM
:werd: I got the Collector's Edition too. I thought about bringing my bobblehead to work, but decided to leave it in the case for now. :D

Lol, I thought about it as well. I was actually really impressed with the art book. Even though it was small it crammed full of artwork. Very cool IMO.

just got to Megaton since I didn't get much time to play last night. A 10mm, baseball bat, and police baton are my weapons at the moment.

Nice, I think I had the same weapons when I showed up to Megaton. I'm rockin a combat shotgun, and Flame thrower right now...with the 10mm for back-up.

Hulud
10-29-2008, 03:41 PM
I played a little at a friend's house but, since I no longer have a 360, I never got a chance to really get into it. I did get to experience the horrendous elevator rides though. lol
lol yea the elevators sucked! lol

Ran
11-03-2008, 05:01 PM
So after playing this for a couple of days, I've discovered that I've developed a tradition of random characters (females usually) for no reason. Not sure why. For instance; I find this girl Silver in Silvertown. Apparently she owes the bartender in Megaton about 300 caps. I take her caps in return for not telling bartender. She is grateful. But later I just slit her throat in her sleep.

Later, I found this guy Dukov. He lives in this suite with two (admitted) whores in lingerie. All he does is shoot, drink, and screw apparently. His companions aren't very happy with where they are, but stay because he protects them. So I, being the good Samaritan that I am, take my Combat Shotgun and proceeed to smear his drunked face across the pool table. The girls don't know what to do, but they don't seem to be very grateful of my generous liberation movement. So, since they didn't thank me properly, I proceed to do the same to them. One chick gets her head blasted by the same Combat Shotgun and came to rest against the fridge. The other gets toasted by my flamethrower. She runs and screams for about five seconds then slumps over. I jack their crap, drink their booze, and leave. Good times.

I'm still debating on whether or not I want to activate the nuke at Megaton. Maybe I'll do so after completing "The Wasteland Survival Guide" quest.

:)

Sport1.3
11-04-2008, 09:41 AM
i just Killed Arkasas and got the sniper Rifle.....this game is owning my face. FUCK YOU FIRE ANTS!!

Thighs
11-04-2008, 09:44 AM
its a good game, but the gameplay is a little slow for me.

Sport1.3
11-04-2008, 09:50 AM
its a good game, but the gameplay is a little slow for me.

its NOT a FPS....what did you expect

Thighs
11-04-2008, 09:56 AM
well, it actually kinda is. i just thought there was alot they could have improved upon.

Sport1.3
11-04-2008, 09:57 AM
well, it actually kinda is. i just thought there was alot they could have improved upon.
no, no its not. Its a RPG with FPS elements. no where in the development of the game did they intend anything other than that.

Thighs
11-04-2008, 09:59 AM
well the perspective is first person, and its a shooter. therefore by the associative property of addition its a first person shooter.

Sport1.3
11-04-2008, 10:05 AM
well the perspective is first person, and its a shooter. therefore by the associative property of addition its a first person shooter.

You can also play in 3rd person, so thats irrelevant. You also arent forced to use weapons at all. Even the V.A.T.S system is an homage to an authintic turn based RPG. This game is as much a FPS as Oblivion was....which it isnt lol

Sport1.3
11-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Watch any Todd Howard Interview, the lead developer of the game cant be wrong

Ran
11-04-2008, 10:10 AM
well the perspective is first person, and its a shooter. therefore by the associative property of addition its a first person shooter.By that logic, any first person shooter that has selectable dialogue or decision making scenarios would be considered an RPG. Sorry, but Fallout is not a first person shooter despite it's interface. If you want to just run n' gun then maybe you should throw your money towards Dead Space or something like that. It would be more on the preferrable side for people that like fast paced gameplay without the thinking and decision making.

Thighs
11-04-2008, 10:14 AM
im not saying the decision making isnt a big part of the game, its actually a really cool twist to things. the game is a healthy mix between a FPS and a RPG, i just think some of the graphics and gameplay could have been much improved upon.

Ran
11-04-2008, 10:30 AM
im not saying the decision making isnt a big part of the game, its actually a really cool twist to things. the game is a healthy mix between a FPS and a RPG, i just think some of the graphics and gameplay could have been much improved upon.I've been pretty happy with the graphics so far and I don't even have an HDTV. What parts of the gameplay do you have problems with?

Thighs
11-04-2008, 10:35 AM
well for instance, when you kill someone the blood that spews out looks like a cardboard cutout, of if they catch on fire they just magically turn into dust. some of the stuff like that is just kinda cheesy looking. the gameplay is just not fast enough for my taste. i cant get into it because it feels like is taking too long for everything to happen. the weapons are all kinda gay looking even if they do really badass stuff.

overall id give it a 7.5/10, its a good game with alot of depth and a great storyline, there was just alot i think couldve been improved.

Sport1.3
11-04-2008, 10:36 AM
i have HD/HDMI cables etc and it looks noticeably better than on my normal bedroom TV. the range of view is incredible

Ran
11-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Just found out that you can't kill the kids in this game. WTF? If I go on a merciless killing spree then I want to go on a d*mn merciless killing spree! Not some half*ssed killing spree that maintains an ethical approach to kids. This sh*t makes me angry. :mad:

Oh a positive note, I pieced together my Rock-It Launcher and have been having the time of my life blasting people's faces off with books. lol

Sport1.3
11-07-2008, 12:01 PM
you can nuke megaton and all the children there die :dunno:

Ran
11-07-2008, 12:14 PM
you can nuke megaton and all the children there die :dunno:Eh, I already deactivated it since I wanted a house. Why can't I just blow their heads off with a shotgun or slit their throats with my combat knife? :(

Specsteve
11-12-2008, 03:28 PM
I am so pissed I have not picked up Fallout yet. I was (and still am) an Oblivion junkie...so needless to say, I will probably really enjoy this game.

I love Bethesda

Deke
11-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Just curious, does the game end? Or is it just a totally open, live your life sort of deal?

MachNU
11-12-2008, 05:24 PM
well this has sold he, oblivion with a shot gun? what more could i ask for?

Sport1.3
11-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Just curious, does the game end? Or is it just a totally open, live your life sort of deal?

once you finish the main quests (~15 hrs game play) the game ends. Needless to say, you could play 100+ hrs and never even start the main quest. i'm 25 hrs in and have done almost 30 quests or related multi quests and have not even started looking for my father. the only real downside is the level 20 cap (already level 11). Stil i havent even scratched the surface when it comes to gameplay.

Sport1.3
11-13-2008, 08:36 AM
well this has sold he, oblivion with a shot gun? what more could i ask for?

And much more. the VATS system on its own makes the game worth playing for me, the 50's themed music/atmosphere, huge amount of weapons/clothing/armor etc, different types of enemies and the enemy AI (they are smart)......its a blast

lastly, the mezzer and exploding pants = :bowdown:

Mr. Antonov
11-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Boring as hell to say the least.

Get this if you like walking around more than blowing shit up.

Sport1.3
11-14-2008, 01:23 PM
lol what did you expect with a real world themed Adventure RPG set in a post apocalyptic Washington DC....did you not think there would be some substantial walking/traveling involved? lolol

HyPer50
11-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Boring as hell to say the least.

Get this if you like walking around more than blowing shit up.

Eh, get over it. It's not so bad since you can automatically transport to any place you have already been.

Ran
11-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Eh, get over it. It's not so bad since you can automatically transport to any place you have already been.Fast travel is useful if you're in the middle of a quest, but otherwise I like to walk it out. You never know what you'll find.

For instance, the other day I was traveling to the Nuka-Cola Plant and ran across a Raider Cave. Went inside and it was full of neat stuff. That and I had a blast mutilating the raiders with my Railway Gun.

*POW* "TOOT TOOT"

:lmao:

Spectic Tank
11-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Fast travel is useful if you're in the middle of a quest, but otherwise I like to walk it out. You never know what you'll find.

For instance, the other day I was traveling to the Nuka-Cola Plant and ran across a Raider Cave. Went inside and it was full of neat stuff. That and I had a blast mutilating the raiders with my Railway Gun.

*POW* "TOOT TOOT"

:lmao:

Just got the schematics for the railway rifle...can you pin live NPC's to walls, or only their limbs once they're dead?

Sport1.3
11-14-2008, 02:39 PM
i shot some faggot raiders arm off nailing it to the wall with the railway rifle....it glitched for like 5 mins looking like the arm was alive waving at me.....i probably watched it for the entire 5 mins....laughing

Sport1.3
11-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Just got the schematics for the railway rifle...can you pin live NPC's to walls, or only their limbs once they're dead?

only their appendages after a kill shot is made.

its best for crippling arms/legs

Hulud
11-16-2008, 11:56 AM
hmmm i may have to rent this and see if i get bored of it like oblivion

Ran
11-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Just finished the Railey's Raiders quest (on accident) and got some sweet Ranger Combat Armor. I recommend going to the Our Lady Hope Hospital and stocking up on healing supplies. Lots of super mutants, but you get more stimpacks then you'll know what to do with. Not to mention a Medicine Bobblehead.

Also picked up a Ripper which is, as best as I can illustrate, the perfect blend of a turkey carver and a chainsaw. There's nothing better to use for carving a Raider's face off. :goodjob:

Spectic Tank
11-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Also picked up a Ripper which is, as best as I can illustrate, the perfect blend of a turkey carver and a chainsaw. There's nothing better to use for carving a Raider's face off. :goodjob:

I must respectfully disagree...I prefer to use the Shishkebob for carving raiders faces and immediately cooking them to a well-done crisp. To each their own...

Sport1.3
11-17-2008, 11:19 AM
i prefer the mezzer

* Head expodes

or

* exploding pants (pickpocket, add mine or Grenade)

or

* enslavement

Spectic Tank
11-17-2008, 02:20 PM
* exploding pants (pickpocket, add mine or Grenade)

Touche...

Ran
11-17-2008, 02:41 PM
I must respectfully disagree...I prefer to use the Shishkebob for carving raiders faces and immediately cooking them to a well-done crisp. To each their own...I like the Shishkebob as well. Infact, it was the first custom weapon I really went after. It doesn't deal enough damage though and if you use it on an animal, it won't slow them down. An angry dog attacking you suddenly becomes an angry dog attacking you while on fire and that sh*t sucks. :lmao: At least with the Ripper you can just hold down your attack and be done with them in about two seconds. :D

TheProfiteer
11-19-2008, 03:28 PM
I am glad you guys are liking this game.

the first two fallout games were my favorite games of all time, and I have been anxiously waiting for this ever since it was announced 4 years ago.

Though I really am disappointed with some of the things Bethesda left out, like the complex dialog tree's, and conversational elements.

plus I have this for PC, and I have a decent rig, and this game is not stable at ALL.

I crash at least 3 times in 3 hours worth of play.

despite all this, this game is Game of the Year in my book

Crazy Asian
11-19-2008, 10:56 PM
oh man I have to get this game for PC. Sheez.