PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo Question

Brett
10-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Okay, When I say I have no pain tolerance, I am not playing and I have a massive fear of needles, so my question is how bad does it hurt to have a tattoo? I have always been told if you get one the first one should mean something, Well I do not think something could mean more to me in my heart than if I had one for Leisa done on my arm, maybe her name with her Birthdate and Date of death? I dunno, I would have to come up with an idea, But what better way to honor her ya know?

Red_Phoenix
10-22-2008, 02:55 PM
I have a white one on the back of my neck where they say is pretty painful and it wasn't that bad. Even if its horrible for you, you coudl always have it done in stages

b@d @pple
10-22-2008, 02:56 PM
my throat is done and im still here

fawk_you
10-22-2008, 03:07 PM
They arent that painful. Where on your arm were you thinking?

SpecV_Scott
10-22-2008, 03:08 PM
When I had my tattoo done on my forearm, I would say the more painful part was down near my wrist. Up closer to my elbow, it was nothing. So I think getting a tattoo on your upper arm would be a breeze. Plus I think it would be really easy for you to endure the little bit of pain, seeing as you have such a good reason for doing it in the first place.

fawk_you
10-22-2008, 03:10 PM
When I had my tattoo done on my forearm, I would say the more painful part was down near my wrist. Up closer to my elbow, it was nothing. So I think getting a tattoo on your upper arm would be a breeze. Plus I think it would be really easy for you to endure the little bit of pain, seeing as you have such a good reason for doing it in the first place.

Completely agree. Both of mine are on the underside of my wirst. Those were a little worse than the one on the back of my neck but upper arm seems like it would be a breeze.

BABY J
10-22-2008, 03:14 PM
That's a good idea Brett. But don't do the death date --- the tattoo is a way that she will live on as long as you do. Her name and a heart, or your name and her name intertwined - etc.

alpine_aw11
10-22-2008, 03:16 PM
It all depends on where you get it, but it's tolerable. Especially considering the meaning it would hold, I wouldn't let the pain factor get to you. The end result would be worth it.

b@d @pple
10-22-2008, 03:17 PM
its a pretty important memorial to you..who gives a fuck about the pain..it wont compare i promise..if you have handled what you have thus far ..getting tatted will be a walk in the park

tat2darmygrl
10-22-2008, 03:19 PM
I've got my whole right ribcage done, both feet are covered, forearm, shoulder cap, both thighs, and back....feel asleep during every single one of them....

tat2darmygrl
10-22-2008, 03:20 PM
PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY!!!! HOOAH :D

Lizbiz101
10-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I'm not a pain person either, but I was told if you do it where you have alot of muscle it shouldn't hurt as much as doing it right on top of a bone. So your arm should be ok, I would think. I think that is a great idea brett!!! I want to see it when you get it!!

Julio
10-22-2008, 03:26 PM
No pain bro.. easy stuff.

Tiff-O-Bitties
10-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Only pain for me was my left ribcage... VERY painful... Other than that, everywhere is a piece of cake.

stillaneon
10-22-2008, 03:28 PM
its a pretty important memorial to you..who gives a fuck about the pain..it wont compare i promise..if you have handled what you have thus far ..getting tatted will be a walk in the park

x2

Easily done. You should have no problem on you arm.

Give me a shout if you need me to set something up for you (if you dont have an artist) mine will be more than willing to help you out. He did a memorial tattoo for about 30 of us when our friend passed earlier this year...

Got Milk?
10-22-2008, 03:49 PM

took the words rite out of my mouth.

Brett
10-22-2008, 03:57 PM

True, True....

My other worry is some day down the road if I was to meet some one, which I know leisa would want me to do, Would (And this applies to the woman on here) be taken back and not like another womans name on a guy when its a memorial to his wife? Thats why I want the dates on it, so people know why its there..... I dunno.... I just want to honor her and I think this would be a nice way to do it, But maybe its going about it all wrong? I just want to keep her alive in some way.

Brett
10-22-2008, 03:58 PM
x2

Easily done. You should have no problem on you arm.

Give me a shout if you need me to set something up for you (if you dont have an artist) mine will be more than willing to help you out. He did a memorial tattoo for about 30 of us when our friend passed earlier this year...

Yeah id need some ideas of something tasteful but for my arm so I can hide it with shirts at work.

b@d @pple
10-22-2008, 04:00 PM
brett you dont have to put her name..you can always do something that reminds you of her or something that signifies her..no names or dates

The Youngn
10-22-2008, 04:02 PM
The pain of a tattoo is completely different from what you would think but the end result will definitely make it worth it. I dont have my arm done but buddies have said it was very tolerable. They told me there was a little pinch of pain right in where the arm pits are.

I have a tattoo on my chest and that stung a lot but completely bearable. My right side is done as well but the pain was pretty crazy in some spots but most of them were a breeze.

I plan on getting my brother's initials and his dates on my back soon. You could get what you have as your avatar done. That looks like a real nice piece and have the flowers done in her favorite color

Killer
10-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Okay, When I say I have no pain tolerance, I am not playing and I have a massive fear of needles, so my question is how bad does it hurt to have a tattoo? I have always been told if you get one the first one should mean something, Well I do not think something could mean more to me in my heart than if I had one for Leisa done on my arm, maybe her name with her Birthdate and Date of death? I dunno, I would have to come up with an idea, But what better way to honor her ya know?

i just sat six hours straight.......................... and i'm a pussy when it comes to pain!!! lol.............

the arm isn't too bad.. i aslo have one on each shoulder blade.. they didn't hurt either....

it really is gonna depend on size/location/detail/color.... like white i've heard can be painful because it's not as easily seen... so they gotta run over it a few times.... let it get kinda deep or something...

b@d @pple
10-22-2008, 04:04 PM
wow i cant believ your shit took 6 hours

Killer
10-22-2008, 04:07 PM

truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my artist told me he wasn't sure how much we could get done... especially if i didn't sit well..... but my tattoo has a LOT of meaning to it... so i knew if i didn't just sit through it i would have gotten the whole thing done..... i really wanted it done so i put my mind out of body for the most part...

Killer
10-22-2008, 04:08 PM
wow i cant believ your shit took 6 hours

???

meaning it should've taken less????

b@d @pple
10-22-2008, 04:10 PM
just judging by what i have had done..yes i would think..but everyone works at their own pace

fawk_you
10-22-2008, 04:11 PM
True, True....

My other worry is some day down the road if I was to meet some one, which I know leisa would want me to do, Would (And this applies to the woman on here) be taken back and not like another womans name on a guy when its a memorial to his wife? Thats why I want the dates on it, so people know why its there..... I dunno.... I just want to honor her and I think this would be a nice way to do it, But maybe its going about it all wrong? I just want to keep her alive in some way.

If you find a woman who isnt understanding enough then she more than likely isnt worth dating. As bad apple said you dont have to do the name and such. But if I were older, found a guy who had been through what you had been through.. a tattoo would be the last thing on my mind, and I would understand.

I personally think its a VERY nice gesture.

TheGrillMan
10-22-2008, 04:14 PM
every single person takes pain differntly, just like i have allmost 50's hr's under a machine, and i cant remember inbetween sessions what it exactly feels like haha

IMO it's not to bad joints will be the worst generally (wrist, elbow, knee ect..)

but i do have to say the top of my arm was prob the most painless place i can remember

also, no matter where it is a grown man can endure the pain

trust me

if that helps ya any haha

if that helps any haha

Brett
See and thats why I dont know if I do it if leaving her name out of it is the right thing, I guess I want to honor her in a way like this but doing something that is just a symbol or something.... I dunno, Then I feel maybe it defeats the reason to do it?? I dunno, Like I said this is something that came to me today, and like I said everyone has always said if you get one, It should mean something, Well Leisa's Memory means more to me than my own life at this point.... So thats why I wonder if her name and something with it, I dunno.

The Youngn
just judging by what i have had done..yes i would think..but everyone works at their own pace
they probably charged him hourly

TheGrillMan
10-22-2008, 04:16 PM
also about the whole name thing

i wouldnt worry about getting the name

if you want it get it

if not then whatever

only things with names is getting current lovers names on your body is bad luck

in this case that doesnt apply

DB4LYFE ™
10-22-2008, 04:21 PM
My first one wasnt bad at all i was worried i was gunna b!tch out lol! but it wasnt bad at all! if u know someone close that has passed memorial tattoos are good, mainly because ull NEVER regret getting it. sounds like a great idea BRETT! go for it.

~DB4LYFE

Brett
10-22-2008, 04:25 PM
I know Id never regret it, Because I will never regret any memory assiciated with Leisa, whether it was good times or the few times we argued, etc... EVERY MEMORY OF MY BABY IS GOOD, more now than ever :(

Killer
10-22-2008, 04:25 PM
See and thats why I dont know if I do it if leaving her name out of it is the right thing, I guess I want to honor her in a way like this but doing something that is just a symbol or something.... I dunno, Then I feel maybe it defeats the reason to do it?? I dunno, Like I said this is something that came to me today, and like I said everyone has always said if you get one, It should mean something, Well Leisa's Memory means more to me than my own life at this point.... So thats why I wonder if her name and something with it, I dunno.

brett, symbols/names... it doesn't matter what you get.. or if it even makes sense to anyone else!!!!

like with my tattoo.. you'd have no idea (unless i told you) that the blossoms were for my late grandmother....... it's not about who understands it.. it's about the importance to you man!!!!

it's a great feeling to look at yourself in the mirror and have those memories.. withouth having to be date/name specific...

did she like a certain type of flower??? or a bird... hell, she was crazy about the falcons!!! throw a falcon on you're arm!!! (just sayin..... )

i can assure you even if no one ever says "is that for leisa" it'll still hold meaning and value to you....

everyone else i talked to was kinda shocked that it only took six hours... ???? lol...

and idk, this guy is a great artist... ISAACDAVISTATTOOS.COM check him out...

they probably charged him hourly

no sir, i got a really great deal on this piece......

Brett
10-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Yeah your right, But for some reason I just cant seem to imagine it without her name but I know she loved a yellow Daisy or Yellow Sunflower

TheGrillMan
10-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Yeah your right, But for some reason I just cant seem to imagine it without her name but I know she loved a yellow Daisy or Yellow Sunflower
\
sunflower sounds cool to me

just get it however big and put a banner on the top and bottom with her name and date or in loving memory. theres alot you can do

Brett
10-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Maybe even the flowers like in the avatar pic and her name with it?

Killer
10-22-2008, 04:36 PM
go to an artist... tell him what you want....

AN ARTIST... not some random joe with an ink pen.......... find a good artist... let him/her know round abouts what you want... and where.. he/she will do it right...

G.C
10-22-2008, 04:37 PM
I've got my whole right ribcage done, both feet are covered, forearm, shoulder cap, both thighs, and back....feel asleep during every single one of them....

We all know thats bullshit. so please stop trying to act tuff.

To op, YES ITS GOING TO HURT. If your tattoo gets done in under 2 hours, you will be fine no doubt. But after 2 hours, it will start hurting more because your body will stop making adrenaline. Thats what the tattoo artist told me. Sure enough after 2 1/2 hours it start hurting more. Near 4 hour point, it hurt like hell but you just have to deal with it.

Also search which shop you want to get it at. The more experienced they are, the less time it takes and better quality. Usually stores charge 80/hour. G/l with everything.

Killer
10-22-2008, 04:38 PM

To op, YES ITS GOING TO HURT. If your tattoo gets done in under 2 hours, you will be fine no doubt. But after 2 hours, it will start hurting more because your body will stop making adrenaline. Thats what the tattoo artist told me. Sure enough after 2 1/2 hours it start hurting more. Near 4 hour point, it hurt like hell but you just have to deal with it.

everyone i've ever talked to said after 4 hours is when the pain kicks in... never after two......................... and... actually i was nodding off while getting mine...

TheGrillMan
10-22-2008, 04:42 PM
everyone i've ever talked to said after 4 hours is when the pain kicks in... never after two......................... and... actually i was nodding off while getting mine...

i have a jackolantern that covers most of my theigh that i fell asleep after 45min lol

sleeping during a sitting isnt really that uncommon there inflicting pain onto your body therefore you body has to cope somehow

also IMO i have getting drilled unless im sitting for more than 2 hours it doesnt feel good untill then haha

and to brett your avatar would work haha but i do agree with killer take your idea to an artist cause everyone will be a little differnt about how they do things

tony
10-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Got my upper arm done when I was 18 and uhh.. call me a puss but I almost passed out. But that wasn't because of the pain, I hated needles and would hold my breath whenever the needle came in contact with my arm.

As for names and symbols. That is a hard call, I'd personally go with something discrete that only you and Leisa would understand or shared..

b@d @pple
10-22-2008, 05:07 PM
its different for everyone

tat2darmygrl
10-22-2008, 05:23 PM

Also search which shop you want to get it at. The more experienced they are, the less time it takes and better quality. Usually stores charge 80/hour. G/l with everything.

Hmmmm....trying to act tough :rolleyes:....or just has high tolerance for pain? BTW, I am pretty fucking tough....:goodjob:

You might have acted like a bleeding cunt when you got your tats....but, that doesn't apply to all. :gay:

BTW, I worked at The Illustrator Tattoo for Randy Kienel (he is deceased now) until I was deployed to Baghdad....where are you getting that shops usually charge $80 an hour? Wanna know more about how "tuff" I am call up Squirl at Lucky Draw Tattoo....I live for tattoos, art, guns, and cars....

Tuan
10-22-2008, 05:28 PM
take a needle and press it slightly on your skin. then drag it down about 5 inches. thats what it feels like.

BadassVic
10-22-2008, 05:29 PM
i just noticed Leisa birthday is 6 days from mine haha. lol

My grandmother is in the same situation as Leisa was in . (Brain is stopping) :( ive been crying for hours.. :[ might be going to europe to her..

b@d @pple
10-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Hmmmm....trying to act tough :rolleyes:....or just has high tolerance for pain? BTW, I am pretty fucking tough....:goodjob:

You might have acted like a bleeding cunt when you got your tats....but, that doesn't apply to all. :gay:

BTW, I worked at The Illustrator Tattoo for Randy Kienel (he is deceased now) until I was deployed to Baghdad....where are you getting that shops usually charge $80 an hour? Wanna know more about how "tuff" I am call up Squirl at Lucky Draw Tattoo....I live for tattoos, art, guns, and cars....
wanna get married?

Mrs. Purp
10-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Well.. I have had a child. I can tell you it's no where near that BAD! I got a star on the back of my neck. That didn't hurt much. I also have a flower with like a tribal line from my right shoulder down to my right cheek. That one hurt pretty good. Mostly in the very tender spots and my ribs. I hate needles as well, but.. to be honest.. once he started it didn't bother me that much.. more of a hard vibration than anything. If you are wanting to get something tattooed in a place that gets enough sun or that's not so tender it shouldn't be bad at all. (If the tattooist knows what they are doing!)

Fr33way
10-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Brett I say get the one you want. Anyone you meet that is serious about you will know and understand the meaning and have respect for it.

civic95
10-22-2008, 08:07 PM

Pics?

PRiMAdonna
10-22-2008, 08:19 PM
I hate needles too. I can't stand getting shots, IVs, or even getting my finger pricked at the doctor. But honestly, my tattoo didn't hurt at all. It's a different kind of pain than that of a needle IMO... it's more like a burning sensation. My piercings hurt way worse. I'd say go for it.

Brett
10-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Brett I say get the one you want. Anyone you meet that is serious about you will know and understand the meaning and have respect for it.

.... and thats what I am thinking to, I mean I will always have her Urn in the house and other pics, etc and if any woman has a issue with that, they arent right for me because if they feel my past is a threat, then they wont need to be in my future. But when it comes to the Tattoo I would do the flowers like in my avatar but without it saying anything may not look good on a guy without the meaning being set with it ya know?

civic95
10-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Brett you could do the flowers, and kind of fit her initials into the flower (not enclosed by the flower). Work them into the design of the flower maybe make them a different color than the rest of the flower or a different shade or something. Hope that makes sense.

Brett
10-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Yeah that may work to, I guess maybe having her name would not be needed but is it better with it?

tat2darmygrl
10-22-2008, 10:08 PM
wanna get married?

LOL

tat2darmygrl
10-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Pics?

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198651&page=2&pp=20

CLICK ON THAT LINK AND SCROLL DOWN HALFWAY TO SEE SOME OF MY TATS....

stillaneon
10-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Brett I got some stuff in the works to start with. try to have it done tomorrow for you!!

b@d @pple
10-22-2008, 10:55 PM
LOL

im not laughing..i rented a limo,tux and a flower girl 3 hours ago ...you better put on your sunday best ,cause we gettin hitched

TheGrillMan
10-23-2008, 12:31 AM
im not laughing..i rented a limo,tux and a flower girl 3 hours ago ...you better put on your sunday best ,cause we gettin hitched

:idb:

tat2darmygrl
10-23-2008, 05:39 AM

Heh, looks like you might be outta some money....marriage isn't in my vocabulary....

Brett
10-23-2008, 06:20 AM
Heh, looks like you might be outta some money....marriage isn't in my vocabulary....

If care fee sex is, Then HI!! lol :D j/p

Brett
10-23-2008, 06:20 AM
Brett I got some stuff in the works to start with. try to have it done tomorrow for you!!

Thanks man!!

tat2darmygrl
10-23-2008, 07:13 AM
If care fee sex is, Then HI!! lol :D j/p

LOL....sorry....only init2winit gets my sex :) lucky guy

b@d @pple
10-23-2008, 07:44 AM

uhmm my marriage i mean lots of buttsecks

GaGen2Teg
10-23-2008, 07:51 AM
pain wise it depends on where you get it....mine didnt hurt a bit only a little tingle on the inside of my arm when it was getting shaded in my shoulder blades couldnt feel a thing i got 5 and i didnt feel much if any pain...so you really dont need to worry bout pain...plus im a little skinny fcker

Brett
10-23-2008, 09:02 AM
Mine will be on my arm up high enough to where a shirt can hide it

PURP
10-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Well my whole right arm and some of my left is done and for me the most painful was the wrist and prolly the elbow bone area... but it really isn't that bad... it actually starts to feel soothing after a min to me... but I love pain so... But thats a great idea for a tat.. I got one for my grandmother. Prayer hands with her name and dates.. for an idea for you..

Brett
10-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Thats a good idea to

PhatbacK
10-23-2008, 01:44 PM
i have a big piece on my back and now im in the process of getting my legs done......but yea like other have said.....the pain is nothing compared to what youve already been through....its more of a rush and once the first fews minutes go by its smooth sailing

stillaneon
10-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Brett, This is what i was doing. It might be something to start from, or draw ideas from. It incorporates the things we talked about the other day on Myspace.

Hope it helps out a little bit...
Sorry its dirty, I need to do one more draft and go back and erase the pencil, and clean up the lines....
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d122/ddunlap/DSC_0043.jpg

GaGen2Teg
10-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Mine will be on my arm up high enough to where a shirt can hide it

you will not feel a thing like got purp said it starts to feel soothing after like 2 mins outline you'll probably think is the worst filling it in feels good...well to me atleast haha

Brett
10-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Brett, This is what i was doing. It might be something to start from, or draw ideas from. It incorporates the things we talked about the other day on Myspace.

Hope it helps out a little bit...
Sorry its dirty, I need to do one more draft and go back and erase the pencil, and clean up the lines....
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d122/ddunlap/DSC_0043.jpg

Yeah Im gonna try not to have something so busy looking and I am still debating on if her dates and full name or what yet, I dunno :(

stillaneon
10-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah, thats cool. I just figured I would draw something up that way you could see and get an idea. Some times its easier to make a decision when you see what you dont want.

Brett
10-24-2008, 05:42 PM
I wasnt bashing it by any means brah, I really appreciate you even helping man

One_Bad_SHO
10-24-2008, 05:54 PM
It's gonna hurt regardless brotha. Might as well go all out.

I constantly pinched my hand during my first tattoo. It helped distract me from where the pain was coming from.

stillaneon
10-24-2008, 06:30 PM
I didn't think you were. I honestly wasn't pushing you one way or the other. I just got bored and figured I would draw something

Z0_o6
10-25-2008, 09:32 AM
the best way i could describe the discomfort of a tattoo is to imagine someone drawing on your arm with a pencil if you had a sunburn. it's not unbearable by any means, my tattoos didn't bother me the least bit.