PDA

View Full Version : Few misc. problems

EG6
10-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Bought an engine from S&W about a month 1/2 ago and got it up and running. Motor runs great and hasn't given me any mechanical problems. Said they did a leakdown test on it and it read 10's all the way across. Never had a compression test done but i'm sure it's within oem range. So far i've only put 121 miles on the motor which according to the paperwork my reciept read means the motor has a total of 119,377 miles on it. Did an oil change on it obviously when the motor was out of the car with mobil1 10-30 and I checked it today to make sure the oil level was still where it should be. Well it was down to the 1st notch on the dipstick. I checked it about 4 times to make sure i wasn't seeing things. What could make the car burn that much oil in 100 miles? I don't notice it smoking when I drive and can't smell anything burning.

On another note I failed my emmissions test because I had a high input coolant temp sensor problem which I fixed and now it has a cylinder 1 and 2 misfire. It smells like it might have an exhaust leak and I can hear it underneath the car. Sounds like it's coming from where it connects to the cat. Would this cause a cylinder misfire due to back pressure or something else. Has new spark plugs and wires if that means anything.

+reps for help

SiRed94
10-20-2008, 10:32 PM
If you aren't seeing any smoke, that would almost have to be a leak. Just look for wet oily spots on the engine. Put a piece of cardboard underneath the car after you get done driving it and let it idle for a few minutes. Maybe you just forgot to put one of the quarts of oil in when you did the change. A misfire can be caused my a lot of things. Faulty fuel or ignition components, timing issue, or fluids (oil or coolant) getting into the combustion chambers (you would see smoke). Pull out the plugs and look for discolorations first. If anything is getting into the cylinders, the plugs will tell.

SiRed94
10-20-2008, 10:34 PM
And if the car smells like it is overheating especially around the header area, and the exhaust gas temperatures are very high, it could be a clogged catalytic converter, and yes that will cause a cylinder misfire code.

EG6
10-20-2008, 10:51 PM
I checked over the engine for new oil spots and oil/dirt buildup and didn't see anything. Also 100% positive I put all 4 quarts of oil in the motor. I check it once a week to make sure it hasn't dropped and last week when I checked it was at the full mark. Since last week I have only put about a good 60-70 miles on it. The engine coolant is a little low so i'll re-fill that asap. I'll be pulling the plugs tomorrow and letting you know what I find.

+reps btw

Thanks!

SiRed94
10-20-2008, 11:05 PM
I checked over the engine for new oil spots and oil/dirt buildup and didn't see anything. Also 100% positive I put all 4 quarts of oil in the motor. I check it once a week to make sure it hasn't dropped and last week when I checked it was at the full mark. Since last week I have only put about a good 60-70 miles on it. The engine coolant is a little low so i'll re-fill that asap. I'll be pulling the plugs tomorrow and letting you know what I find.

+reps btw

Thanks!

Ok, sometimes with clogged PCV valves and/or worn or damaged valve stem seals, you won't really see or pay attention to it smoking, but it will mainly smoke after you take off from a red light after it has been idling for a minute. Or if you let off the gas for a few seconds, and then get back on the gas. Maybe try to look behind you next time you take off, or have somebody follow behind you. :goodjob: Good luck.