PDA

View Full Version : Infrared Photography set

.blank cd
10-20-2008, 06:01 PM
same picutre of the lake behind my girlfriends house, just processed a few different ways. Excuse the glare (lens flare). i didnt have too much time to compose and do all those kinda adjustments and what not. This is just some practice

This was processed black and white in camera, just minor touchup in photoshop

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj155/vtexguy03/misc%20pics/1020IRgrayscale.jpg

I added a blue filter to give it a little bit of color, make it pop a little bit more

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj155/vtexguy03/misc%20pics/1020IRblue.jpg

This picture was a raw infrared shot, then colorized and touched up in photoshop

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj155/vtexguy03/misc%20pics/1020IRcolor.jpg

uproot
10-20-2008, 06:09 PM
so when you say infrared, do you have a modified camera, are you using a filter, or whats up with that? because i've been wanting to do this :D

.blank cd
10-20-2008, 06:12 PM
I bought a Hoya R72 filter, which doesnt seem to work too bad, but doing the conversion im told works better. Best to do it on a D50 or a D70. its been said that the WB gets messed up when you convert a D40. Conversions also allow for faster shutter speeds. All those were taken in broad daylight w/ the sun pointing at the camera for 1 second or more

uproot
10-20-2008, 06:14 PM
ok cool i was just wondering how well the filters actually worked, i have seen a lot of converted pics and they look good, and yours still look dang good :goodjob: soo....

looks like im ordering a IR filter :D

james
10-20-2008, 07:20 PM
1 and 3 are cool, but 2 does nothing for me....seems like too much tungsten maybe?

.blank cd
10-20-2008, 08:44 PM
I did that on purpose. Just to see what it looked like. I did it in sepiatone too..

.blank cd
10-20-2008, 08:44 PM
One more...

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj155/vtexguy03/Infrared/IRColor2.jpg

integra2die4
10-20-2008, 08:46 PM
How much do these filters run? I've been looking at this stuff for a while. I would rather buy a filter rather than converting my camera. Thanks for any help

.blank cd
10-20-2008, 08:51 PM
all depends on how big your lens diameter is. My 52mm was 100 bucks i think...

A.P. Photography
10-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Nice set!

Nittanys1
10-20-2008, 09:38 PM
those pics look good man!

.blank cd
10-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Gracias sir! Didnt know if i should call it a set or not cause it was just one picture, processed in different ways

DB4LYFE ™
10-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Dayum geoff ur steppin up........

~DB4LYFE

Random Hero
10-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Looks good...the glare kills it though I think Geoff.

We need to get together and shoot sometime soon.

.blank cd
10-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Looks good...the glare kills it though I think Geoff.

We need to get together and shoot sometime soon.Definitly big Ry-no. I think me and the ATL crew over @ Nikon Cafe are tryin to figure out the next meet as a matter of fact

bandydesign
10-21-2008, 02:51 PM
I've been looking into this too. I have a D50, what is this conversion? I have heard that there is IR film for film cameras and that there are filters for digital. Aside from that, I don't know much. I wanna give this a shot tho.

Btw, the shots look great. I think the final is a bit overdone. I might have to say that the original is my favorite followed closely by the blue.

I've been told that you can use IR photography and see the health of the plants by the luminance. Not sure quite how, but certainly cool! Repps!

13Bracer
10-21-2008, 03:13 PM
damn man awesome stuff as always...

hmmmm maybe we need an IA photoshoot meet....:thinking:

.blank cd
10-21-2008, 04:03 PM
I've been looking into this too. I have a D50, what is this conversion? I have heard that there is IR film for film cameras and that there are filters for digital. Aside from that, I don't know much. I wanna give this a shot tho.

Btw, the shots look great. I think the final is a bit overdone. I might have to say that the original is my favorite followed closely by the blue.

I've been told that you can use IR photography and see the health of the plants by the luminance. Not sure quite how, but certainly cool! Repps!The conversion is rather expensive, and renders your camera useless for anything other than IR. Goes from $300 bucks, on up, plus the cost of the IR hot mirror, which replaces your factory hotmirror cutoff which blocks most IR (the blue glass thing you see inside the camera when you take your lens off, underneath the mirror.)The conversion works with all of your lenses unlike the filter, which only fits on the lens size you have (unless you buy the biggest filter and buy multiple step-rings)Plus side to that is, you can take IR pictures at faster shutter speeds, which is good cause on a typical day there will always be a breeze and long exposures + breeze = blurry plants, like you see in those pics. This is also good for IR wedding photos (:goodjob:) and portraits, cause, as you can see, the b&w contrast in IR is amazing. Basically, conversions are for people who have multiple camera bodies who want a dedicated IR camera

The IR filter is much cheaper however and doesnt mess up the camera and does almost as well, in fact, if you can hold a subject still, sometimes you can get a decently still shot. But for the most part, you'll still be shooting in the sub 1/60 range. The shots you see there were taken @ 1 or 2 seconds with the sun pointed directly into the lens, so that gives you an idea. Also with the filter, since it blocks out most/all visible lights, you'll have to compose and focus your shot before you put your filter on.

I think what your talking about as far as the plants is UV photography, which is the exact opposite of this. Im not too well versed on UV. I think its a special lens you need for this that costs well over a grand. I dont know of any filters that block all visible and pass UV light.

I'll post a guide for more info on IR for all of ya

osnap
10-21-2008, 05:03 PM
:goodjob: :bowdown: