PDA

View Full Version : how jaded is th car community around here?

blacknightteg
10-19-2008, 07:16 PM
seriously, yes i know this is probably the billionth thread about this type of stuff but i just don't understand it. what happened to the originality that used to exist in the culture? what happened to show cars, what happened to doing things your way, not your friends, not your enemies. why does everyone have to conform to one style. who gives a fuck if someone looks at your shit and doesn't understand why you do stuff, it boggles my mind as to why its like this. shit i mean I'm not going to lie, I'm guilty of being that way sometimes too. but i still like doing things my way and on my time as opposed to anyone else's. i like the ay alot of cars look with body kits. makes them look different from stock, i mean wasn't that the way that car modding was supposed to be? i mean shit look at the culture out west, you still see that kinda shit going on, car shows with individuality, body kits, crazy shit on the cars everthing like that. hell i think there only a few cars around here that have anything like that and its all in ELITE and International Allstars. Conforming sucks. we might as well all just bend over and take it the way things are goin.

/rant.

(waiting for fruitcakes to flame, even you QD hah!)

alpine_aw11
10-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Eh everyone has their thing. The car scene goes through evolutions constantly, eventually the current fads will be over and everyone will move on. I'm getting sick of the ricer threads, they aren't funny. I agree with you, everyone gets crucified for doing their own thing if it isn't JDM ballin' bullshit. It just makes me laugh that some people think their car is superior to a fully built vehicle with a body kit because they have a Spoon radiator cap or some dumb shit like that.

BadassVic
10-19-2008, 07:21 PM
I Agree 100% with you on that. If someone likes body kits,wings,euro tail lights,two tone paint etc. that's cool. it's their car they can do it their way. :goodjob: I hate when someone puts a bodykit on their car (cause they like it) and they get flamed on here. If someone likes it..they like it..if you don't then keep it shut. lol..IMO.

JDM FTMFW! :D

redrumracer
10-19-2008, 07:22 PM
ok just read the first part, and the main reason why sheep do it is to be liked. although if thats what you like to do then do it, hell its not my money

The BUCKY
10-19-2008, 07:23 PM
preach it. i am trying to do it diff

BadassVic
10-19-2008, 07:23 PM
ok just read the first part, and the main reason why sheep do it is to be liked. although if thats what you like to do then do it, hell its not my money

fucking truth!! :goodjob:

Axix23
10-19-2008, 07:24 PM
there are other bad-ass cars in GA that aren't in ELITE or IA, they just don't come out as much...

Motivation
10-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Why does your teg look like all the other ones then? :tongue1: jk

I think that the modding is still there. Just in different ways. I also think, that now it is less tastefully done. People don't take their times to do it right, parts are made in such a mass quanity that the quality has been sacrificed. There are some cars with body kits that look good. I believe as well, that most people look down upon cars with kits on them is because of the drivers who possess these cars. They are usually swerving in and out of traffic, high revving, burning out, causing accidents... A lot of people don't even want to be associated with that rep that has been given. :2cents:

blacknightteg
10-19-2008, 07:26 PM
yeah, i dunno i was just thinking about it. i saw that thread about the l'ville dollar theater with that guy seeing the civic hatch with the usdm teg front and i just don't get how that allows the guy to get berated for doing his own thing, hell a few years ago a lot of people probably would have liked that conversion shit, i personally think that shits more jdm then half the shit thats made in the use thats considered "jdm"

redrumracer
10-19-2008, 07:28 PM
yeah, i dunno i was just thinking about it. i saw that thread about the l'ville dollar theater with that guy seeing the civic hatch with the usdm teg front and i just don't get how that allows the guy to get berated for doing his own thing, hell a few years ago a lot of people probably would have liked that conversion shit, i personally think that shits more jdm then half the shit thats made in the use thats considered "jdm"
its a not e

BadassVic
10-19-2008, 07:28 PM

yea i posted it. cause i mean its ugly and everyone agrees with me on that. i mean its a waste of money to do that. but hey its his money,car, and his opinion. So i really don't care. lol. i was just saying. :goodjob:

blacknightteg
10-19-2008, 07:29 PM
there are other bad-ass cars in GA that aren't in ELITE or IA, they just don't come out as much...

oh yea, don't get me wrong i know that. but what im saying is that ELITE and IA having cars like that, they dont go and get talked shit about because its ELITE and IA, but if some joe shmoe came and had a car like that, people would be like, "thats so 90's" "how gay" "RICE". just gay.

DrivenMind
10-19-2008, 08:41 PM

Yea I can't say I agree with that. I always thought the point of modifying a car was to use it as a blank canvas and try to improve upon it.

The vast majority of body kits out there seldom improve the look of the car. Being "unique" for the sake of being "unique" is about as original, as dressing like shit just because everyone else dresses nice. You might stand out but you'll still look like shit, ya know? Plus half the people I've seen with outlandish body kits got sick of running over road kill and having to replace and repaint their front and rear bumpers. Or having their side skirts get knocked off over speed bumps.

There are thousands upon thousands of modified cars out there, so chances are you're not going to really do anything that hasn't been done or tried already. And even when some does do something original it's only a matter of time before someone rips them off, and they start bitching about how they were the first to do it. Unless you're going to fabricate your own one off parts, chances are you're not going to be as original as you think you are. Lots of people do it just to blend in with the gear head crowd and make friends. Plus down here in the southeast we tend to be about five years or so behind what the dudes on the west coast are doing.

blacknightteg
10-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Yea I can't say I agree with that. I always thought the point of modifying a car was to use it as a blank canvas and try to improve upon it.

The vast majority of body kits out there seldom improve the look of the car. Being "unique" for the sake of being "unique" is about as original, as dressing like shit just because everyone else dresses nice. You might stand out but you'll still look like shit, ya know? Plus half the people I've seen with outlandish body kits got sick of running over road kill and having to replace and repaint their front and rear bumpers. Or having their side skirts get knocked off over speed bumps.

There are thousands upon thousands of modified cars out there, so chances are you're not going to really do anything that hasn't been done or tried already. And even when some does do something original it's only a matter of time before someone rips them off, and they start bitching about how they were the first to do it. Unless you're going to fabricate your own one off parts, chances are you're not going to be as original as you think you are. Lots of people do it just to blend in with the gear head crowd and make friends. Plus down here in the southeast we tend to be about five years or so behind what the dudes on the west coast are doing.

i can understand that but then why does that give anyone the right to call ayone elses stuff rice. i mean techically, isnt "JDM" rice? i mean why wouldn't that be considered rice, to me RICE should be considered something from japan something that is ugle. the idea of originally with you saying that means that what we do with the JDM look is rice too cuz if everyone else has done it then there is no orignality what so ever. are we all just conforming ?

DrivenMind
10-19-2008, 10:15 PM
We are all just conforming... It's all subjective of course, but most of what we decide we want to do to our cars we pick up from something we saw somewhere else.

Rice to me never had anything to do with Japan, but was just a car that was so tastelessly, and unnecessarily modified that it was not only an eyesore, but impractical as well.

And the definition of what we think is "JDM" is changing too. It used to be someone that modified their car with actual Japanese Domestic Market parts, even if they were just novetly items like side mirrors, or turn signals. But now it's come to describe a certain look, be it the slammed, insane negative camber VIP thing, or whatever you want to call it.

To me the JDM thing was never about trying to get tons of attention like people do with riced out cars, it was just about doing little things to your car to make it different in a more subtle manner. You were taking something that was designed for, and intended to be on the car originally, and putting it on a car in a place where the look was unfamiliar. It was a way of tinkering with your car that usually only the real connoisseurs would pick up on.

JDM is sort of like the Anti-Bling movement if you think about it. And rice is just a subcategory of the bling fad, usual applied to beloved econobox cars. Look at shit like Pimp My Ride. Most of us would agree that, that show appeals to the bling crowd but if we saw that shit it person we'd probably call it rice.

man
10-19-2008, 11:38 PM
my post from that civi-teg thread:

"
Get used to it. Most people on here fail to realize that looks are subjective. Thus, with all the punk-ass haters on here, everyone's cars end up looking the same. Atlanta's automotive scene has lost it's originality (although the del sols on here keep it fresh). It's gone from an expression of one's self to conforming so people won't run their mouths.

Now, not everyone cares what people think, and they still show from time to time, but for the most part people just follow the "rules" and turn into haters themselves..."

0p7!mu5
10-20-2008, 12:16 AM
I dunno i'm considering modding my shit the way I wanted to from the get go and have a second car that is just clean. ya know the clean dd like light and dark. I hate it when people jump on someone for tryin to do something diffrent like that chick with the crv a few months back hell who actually attempts that nowadays?

bigdare23
10-20-2008, 12:42 AM
Rice to me never had anything to do with Japan, but was just a car that was so tastelessly, and unnecessarily modified that it was not only an eyesore, but impractical as well.

That's the problem. People throw the world rice around without knowing the original meaning of the word. "Rice" or "Rice Racer" was originally used by domestic guys to describe (or diss) "all" modified imports. So technically, you are a ricer, I'm a ricer and just about everyone on this site is a ricer. I hate that word because people use it so loosely. Everything that's not dumped on oem rims or rotas is rice.

The scene here sux like hell. Everyone is quick to judge someone else car, when their car looks like shit. In addition, why the fuck do everyone think they are fucking race car drivers? Why is it against the law for a honda to have rims bigger than 15's? I think everyone should get off each other nuts and just do them. I can care less about what people think about my car and everyone should feel the same say. Before people make decision on their rides, they make damn polls asking if other people like it or not. Or they search for a pic of a car with the rims they want to buy before they get them. Shit like that is gay to me. Once again, I hate today's car scene with a passion!!!

Motivation
10-20-2008, 12:50 AM
That's the problem. People throw the world rice around without knowing the original meaning of the word. "Rice" or "Rice Racer" was originally used by domestic guys to describe (or diss) "all" modified imports. So technically, you are a ricer, I'm a ricer and just about everyone on this site is a ricer. I hate that word because people use it so loosely. Everything that's not dumped on oem rims or rotas is rice.

The scene here sux like hell. Everyone is quick to judge someone else car, when their car looks like shit. In addition, why the fuck do everyone think they are fucking race car drivers? Why is it against the law for a honda to have rims bigger than 15's? I think everyone should get off each other nuts and just do them. I can care less about what people think about my car and everyone should feel the same say. Before people make decision on their rides, they make damn polls asking if other people like it or not. Or they search for a pic of a car with the rims they want to buy before they get them. Shit like that is gay to me. Once again, I hate today's car scene with a passion!!!

reps sir... I went to college to do body work. Wanted to do custom work on cars. Because my dad, when I was growing up, done custom work on old classic/muscle cars. I thought I would carry on his work after he passed away, but with the newer style cars. I done it for a while... and it got old real quick. BECAUSE of the exact reasons you mentioned before. Someone would come up to me and tell me they wanted a "one of a kind" civic. I give them some ideas to do something ORIGINAL, and they tell me, "No, we found a body kit in a magazine, and a few other things in a store that would make it original." You CANNOT buy something that is mass produced and not expect to see it everywhere. I wish the scene would pick up a lot more. It was nice, driving down the road and seeing different people's taste in what they liked in cars... Now, people only "like" what other they think other people approve of. They spend money they don't have to try to impress people they don't really like or know, just so they don't get "hated" on.

Humphrizzle
10-20-2008, 12:54 AM
i dont conform.. i just have an idea of how i want my car to look.

just because everyone wants a nice, classy car, doesn't mean the entire community is afraid someone wont like their car.

i dont give a shit if anyone loves or hates my car.. i keep it nice, clean and i do things to it that usually only i notice when i have the time and or money. I paid for it, i do what i want with it.

I think everyone's pissed about the car scene because there's no one to make fun of anymore.. no one with giant erector set wings, body kits with zip ties, unpainted urethane bumpers (green), and no ugly euro tail lights.

I really don't understand why everyone is mad that people want their cars to look nice. instead of trashy and gaudy.

Humphrizzle
10-20-2008, 01:00 AM
i can understand that but then why does that give anyone the right to call ayone elses stuff rice. i mean techically, isnt "JDM" rice? i mean why wouldn't that be considered rice, to me RICE should be considered something from japan something that is ugle. the idea of originally with you saying that means that what we do with the JDM look is rice too cuz if everyone else has done it then there is no orignality what so ever. are we all just conforming ?

Yes, JDM is a played, stupid, annoying phrase.. that's like saying a Japanese panasonic television is rice.

JDM means it was intended for Japanese manufacturing purposes. i think it's cool to have something on my car that was made in the same plase as where my car's company is located. makes it a little different. Example:

My steering wheel is fugly.. but the JDM CTR steering wheel is sick as shit. it's black, perforated, leather, and has an airbag. also very easy to install since it is intended for my steering rack.

JITB
10-20-2008, 01:12 AM
you cant win.. i think the worst/best thing for the car scene, was the message board.. before you would do what you wanted until your done. people get their bubble busted so much they try to be accepted instead of doin what they want. We all have a finished plan for our cars... i learned aloooooong time ago you are so much happier int eh end when you do what you want.

bigdare23
10-20-2008, 01:17 AM
I think everyone's pissed about the car scene because there's no one to make fun of anymore.. no one with giant erector set wings, body kits with zip ties, unpainted urethane bumpers (green), and no ugly euro tail lights.

I really don't understand why everyone is mad that people want their cars to look nice. instead of trashy and gaudy.

You got it twisted. Noone likes half ass cars. There's a difference between a well-done car and a zipped tie holding the bumper car. The trashy cars shouldn't be in the scene, but it seem like you associated all cars with body kits and none oem lights as trashy and gaudy, which is not the case. A car can be done tastefully with without looking like every other car of that make and model on the road. That's the point of the thread.

JITB
10-20-2008, 01:36 AM
You got it twisted. Noone likes half ass cars. There's a difference between a well-done car and a zipped tie holding the bumper car. The trashy cars shouldn't be in the scene, but it seem like you associated all cars with body kits and none oem lights as trashy and gaudy, which is not the case. A car can be done tastefully with without looking like every other car of that make and model on the road. That's the point of the thread.

i agree it get numb lookin at stock cars all day...:(

man
10-20-2008, 09:46 AM

You know what the problem is, hate to say it but it's this site... People are allowed to hide behind their computers and talk shit and hate on people without facing repercussions. I love this site but I truly believe it kill the scene. I know I personally was out at the Target meets about a year before I jumped on here. Back then it was cool and everyone knew each other, and if you didn't know someone, somebody you knew did so there was no bullshit.

flak_monkey
10-20-2008, 01:14 PM
yeah, i dunno i was just thinking about it. i saw that thread about the l'ville dollar theater with that guy seeing the civic hatch with the usdm teg front and i just don't get how that allows the guy to get berated for doing his own thing, hell a few years ago a lot of people probably would have liked that conversion shit, i personally think that shits more jdm then half the shit thats made in the use thats considered "jdm"your car looks like everybody else's

*runs away*