PDA

View Full Version : Colin Powell officially endorses Barack Obama on Meet the Press

KlassAct_EJ6
10-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Most people already saw this coming earlier this week so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone really. But most pundits are 50-50 with this. I've heard some say it would be a big deal because it could seal the deal with getting independents that still had doubts about Obama, as well as solidify the idea that Obama is best suited to be our next president. However, there are some that believe that with two weeks left it wouldn't really change people's minds this late in the general election, and that it would be quickly downplayed by the McCain campaign.

Personally, I believe that this won't be that important since there is two weeks left before voting, but this could be a morale booster for Obama supporters. That's about it. So, what do you guys think about Colin Powell's endorsing of Obama? Is it a game changer or not all that important this late in the general election?

blackshine007
10-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Colin Powell is basicly the Morgan Freeman of politics. Almost the only one who I'd actually trust. I'm voting Barack only because I couldn't get Ron Paul.

BanginJimmy
10-19-2008, 10:13 AM
If this happened a month ago, it would probably make a difference.

I actually think this is a bigger message to the republican party. Powel left the party because it has strayed so far from its conservative base, now he is endorsing Obama. Is this a message from to to get rid of the old guard that is leading the party astray, or is it a message to the new guard to get back to their conservative side. I think its obvious now more than ever that republicans have lost their way and will continue to lose influance until they do get back to their base.

This may also be the opening we need for a legitimate 3rd party. A far right party, much like the dems have gone left, and a centric republican party.

tony
10-19-2008, 10:45 AM
I agree with Jimmy, Repubs really need to look at what is going on when you have natural Conservatives straying to favor Obama.

I hope Obama winning will be the wake up call Republicans need, maybe I'll come back.

BanginJimmy
10-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Repubs really need to look at what is going on when you have natural Conservatives straying to favor Obama.

Do you think the support for Obama is a demonstration against the movement of the republican party's platform, or are people just that disenfranchised with the republican party that they will look to anything for a change?

tony
10-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Do you think the support for Obama is a demonstration against the movement of the republican party's platform, or are people just that disenfranchised with the republican party that they will look to anything for a change?

That is a really good question, the draw to Obama is that his message is simple and clear; Change. Even if there are not specifics behind it people look to him for something different than the status quo.. and right now he Republican party hasn't defined theirself as anything other than the status quo.

Republicans shouldn't have to go after William Ayers. Their platform at one time was so sound that they could stick to the issues but now you have this great divide within the party. You don't see Moderate Republicans any more, they have become Independents.

BanginJimmy
10-19-2008, 02:42 PM
That is a really good question, the draw to Obama is that his message is simple and clear; Change. Even if there are not specifics behind it people look to him for something different than the status quo.. and right now he Republican party hasn't defined theirself as anything other than the status quo.

I agree, Obama has stayed with the KISS method for his entire campaign and only goes into as little detail as possible when the media's screams get too loud to ignore. He has defiantely benefitted by the MSM nutthugging him for the last year, but that shouldnt have chaged the republican conservative platform.

Republicans shouldn't have to go after William Ayers. Their platform at one time was so sound that they could stick to the issues but now you have this great divide within the party. You don't see Moderate Republicans any more, they have become Independents.

I dont even remember when the divide started, but anyone with half a brain knows its almost like 2 different parties now.

Moderates have gone independant, far rightwingers have gone liberaterian, and what is left of the republican party cant stand on its own feet and needs that republican label to survive.

I am starting to think that Palin is going to be a breath of fresh air for the party. Hopefully the party doesnt shuffle her back to Alaska and forget her. I really am hoping this election was going to be her coming out party and maybe lead to her at the top of the ticket in 08 or 12.

AlanŽ
10-19-2008, 02:50 PM
I am starting to think that Palin is going to be a breath of fresh air for the party. Hopefully the party doesnt shuffle her back to Alaska and forget her. I really am hoping this election was going to be her coming out party and maybe lead to her at the top of the ticket in 08 or 12.
You know what I honestly thought that for awhile but in all honesty if she did I doubt she would make it through the primaries because of how bad the media has ripped her appart. I guess I can leak this now since it's almost over but my old man was one of her advisors and he has said repeatedly that she is probably one of the smartest women he has ever met. But in my opinion I think the media has put her in such a bad light it would never work.

BanginJimmy
10-19-2008, 02:53 PM
You know what I honestly thought that for awhile but in all honesty if she did I doubt she would make it through the primaries because of how bad the media has ripped her appart. I guess I can leak this now since it's almost over but my old man was one of her advisors and he has said repeatedly that she is probably one of the smartest women he has ever met. But in my opinion I think the media has put her in such a bad light it would never work.

The media has obviously had it out for her, but I think that most of the electorate will forget that come 08 or whenever she decides to run. I think the media hate for her was because she represented a significant problem for the Obama ticket, not because of her qualifications.

SpecV_Scott
10-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Powel left the party because it has strayed so far from its conservative base

I think it's more because of the way they totally railroaded him in the buildup to the Iraq war.

There's an awesome Frontline (PBS) video that illustrates how bad Cheney and Rumsfeld (and Bush by proxy) screwed over Powell. It's definitely worth watching:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/darkside/view/

BanginJimmy
10-19-2008, 03:50 PM
I know all about Powell getting railroaded, but that was the reason Powell resigned from the Sec State office, not not his reasoning for leaving the republican party.

tony
10-19-2008, 05:12 PM
I'll go ahead and say what others are thinking.

We all know Colin Powell's race, I think him and Condoleeza do not like McCain and empathize with Obama for being black on the national political stage.

4dmin
10-19-2008, 05:38 PM
too bad powell didn't want to run for pres he would of easily been 1st black president.

tony
10-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Powell should have been Obama's VP choice

alpine_aw11
10-19-2008, 05:51 PM

We all know Colin Powell's race, I think him and Condoleeza do not like McCain and empathize with Obama for being black on the national political stage.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Powell isn't one of the guys Howard Stern interviewed in Harlem, he's an extremely intelligent man. I think it boils down to the nature of McCain's campaign. Powell quotes the Ayers incident as being a major factor for him not endorsing McCain. I also don't think it's the straying away of the Republican party from its roots, seeing as Powell is definitely a moderate Republican. Imo had Palin not continued beating the shit out of the dead horse that is the Obama/Ayers relationship Powell would have stuck with McCain.

1SICKLEX
10-19-2008, 08:30 PM

that is so ridiculous its not even worth refuting.

Btw look at a Dem rally or convention vs a GOP one. The GOP one looks like a rally from the 1850s. The Dem one looks like AMERICA, people from every age, creed and race.

blurred visions
10-19-2008, 10:28 PM
The Dem one looks like AMERICA, people from every age, creed and race.

+1 :cheers:

BanginJimmy
10-19-2008, 10:38 PM
The GOP one looks like a rally from the 1850s.

Thats because us republicans dont allow welfare recipients at our rallies.

Vteckidd
10-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Powell should have been Obama's VP choice
that would have made it a tough decision for me lol

I like Powell, alot. I saw this coming 6 months ago so its no surprise to me.

And for once i can agree Tony, i think this really shows how fractured the Republican party is.

I dont agree with ANYTHING Obama wants to do and i dont see it working, but i guess we will see if he can make it work, maybe we will all be wrong. Looks like hes going to get his shot.

1SICKLEX
10-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Thats because us republicans dont allow welfare recipients at our rallies.

FYI the majority of welfare claims are by those that look just like the people in the GOP rallies.

Of course you knew that.

White 38.8%
Black 39.8
Hispanic 15.7
Asian 2.4
other 3.3

4dmin
10-20-2008, 07:46 AM
FYI the majority of welfare claims are by those that look just like the people in the GOP rallies.

Of course you knew that.

White 38.8%
Black 39.8
Hispanic 15.7
Asian 2.4
other 3.3

thank you - i love how WHITE america thinks only blacks/hispanics are on welfare... i guess you guys missed my post about where states rank on who doesn't pay taxes... the entire south is in the top ten :lmfao:

tony
10-20-2008, 07:50 AM
that is so ridiculous its not even worth refuting.

I didnt expect many to understand, no big deal.

1439/2000
10-20-2008, 07:56 AM

Of course you knew that.

White 38.8%
Black 39.8
Hispanic 15.7
Asian 2.4
other 3.3

Off topic but, come on, those stats are WEAK. White people are 77% of this nation as of 2007. Blacks are 11%. When black people are claiming even close to the number whites are, in this case more, obviously that is very disproportionate. You can't go on those percentages, you have to look at the big picture. Almost 40% of all welfare claims are done by a group thats less than 15% of the country. Man, thats saying something. Census.gov for more info.

1SICKLEX
10-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Off topic but, come on, those stats are WEAK. White people are 77% of this nation as of 2007. Blacks are 11%. When black people are claiming even close to the number whites are, in this case more, obviously that is very disproportionate. You can't go on those percentages, you have to look at the big picture. Almost 40% of all welfare claims are done by a group thats less than 15% of the country. Man, thats saying something. Census.gov for more info.
I didn't argue the propitiate amount of who is on welfare. The fact is the majority of people on welfare are like those in GOP rallies.

We can start another thread on welfare, I don't want to hi-jack this thread further.

Total_Blender
10-20-2008, 02:02 PM
Straight from a "fair and balanced" source... Obama endorses Powell

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/20/obama-make-powell-adviser-administration/

BanginJimmy
10-20-2008, 03:00 PM

Of course you knew that.

White 38.8%
Black 39.8
Hispanic 15.7
Asian 2.4
other 3.3

actually I was just being an ass, but you actually proved yourself wrong. The vast majority of blacks are democrat, not republican and blacks are nearly x7 more likely to be on welfare than whites.

stephen
10-20-2008, 06:42 PM
^^i guess we're not considering those that receive CORPORATE WELFARE...

to stay on topic...the republican party lost it's way back in the 60s. greed for power is enough to destroy anyone. powell is facing the old saying "fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me." powell supporting obama should help build confidence in obama's foreign policy (or lack thereof) plans.

SPOOLIN
10-21-2008, 08:23 AM
i know i never say that its only blacks that are on welfare. There is ton's of whites out there that are just flat out inefficient at life.

BanginJimmy
10-21-2008, 11:49 AM
There is trash of every race, then there are those in the vast minority that receive welfare because of something that happened in their life, or they made a mistake and need help while they fix it and get back on their feet. People need to always remember that those that fall into this small catagory are so vastly a minority that they are almost impossible to find.

I will never say that welfare needs to be completely eliminated, but it does need to be completely rewritten. Dems will never propose it because it will affect too large of their voter base. Reps will never propose it because too much of their voter base will see it as an attack on the lazy and possibly change their vote. So as a whole, we are left with a growing population who rely on the govt instead of relying on themselves.