PDA

View Full Version : Teach me how to slam a honda the right way.

1badgvr4
10-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Alright honda guys im new to these car and I my my dd to be low.Im going for the oem plus look with the stock steelies with caps sandblasted and repainted plus other touches.Im no baller so this needs to be done cheap but right.Discuss.

The BUCKY
10-18-2008, 10:41 PM
there is no cheap way to do it right

Echonova
10-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Take the springs out.

G.C
10-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Rule number 1: Do it right the first time.

Scotsman
10-18-2008, 11:04 PM
Take the springs out.true story

DecoyOctopus
10-18-2008, 11:06 PM
you could do it the right way with expenisve ass coilovers and what not or you could be a real man and cut the springs in half and eventually ride on your blown springs. its your call

9ussy
10-18-2008, 11:25 PM
Rule number 1: Do it right the first time.

i'm a big fan of this rule.. :goodjob:

1badgvr4
10-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Ok then whats the right way.

The BUCKY
10-18-2008, 11:32 PM
ground control and koni. about 800

or full coilovers

skunk 2 are around $500 with no dampening adjustment

D2 coilovers around $850 adjustable dampening
(my recomendation)

csmiths
10-19-2008, 12:07 AM
regardless, once you go too low its gonna ride like shit. so it depends on your definition of slammed

ls-r teg
10-19-2008, 08:03 AM
dont listen to everyone....jus heat the springs:ninja:

BobbyFresco
10-19-2008, 08:09 AM
If you want cheap and don't care about how it rides, get ebay coilovers. 50 bucks, tops.

DecoyOctopus
10-19-2008, 10:43 AM
regardless, once you go too low its gonna ride like shit. so it depends on your definition of slammed its not slammed unless you can hang your hand out the window and scrape your nuckles on the ground, its not slammed unless you have speed bumps in your nightmares, its not slammed if you never have to change your oil pan, its not slammed unless allignment places just shake their head when they see you, its not slammed unless your tires have wires sticking out the inside and the outside has almost 80% tread left. OTHERWISE ITS JUST LOWERED

G.C
10-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Ask QD the definition of SLAMMED.

quickdodge®
10-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Ask QD the definition of SLAMMED.

Lolol. Damn rizzle! Later, QD.

RBS
10-19-2008, 11:10 AM
even high end quality suspensions cant go that low......

if you really wanna be slammed for cheap cheap. buy some ebay coilovers, take the springs cut them in half and install winded all the way up and work your way from there.

cutting the springs work too but its a one shot kind of thing and dont waste stock springs, what if you wanted to go back to stock after bouncing your a$$ off? lol

1badgvr4
10-19-2008, 11:17 AM
even high end quality suspensions cant go that low......

if you really wanna be slammed for cheap cheap. buy some ebay coilovers, take the springs cut them in half and install winded all the way up and work your way from there.

cutting the springs work too but its a one shot kind of thing and dont waste stock springs, what if you wanted to go back to stock after bouncing your a$$ off? lol\
The pic in your sig will do just fine.Remember im only riding on 13's.

ash7
10-19-2008, 03:07 PM
lol - there is no right way or wrong way to slam a car. There are BAD ways, and better ways get what you want. The ultimate measure of success is what your goal was in the first place.

If you just want it low as all get out and don't care about your chassis longevity or ride quality, and just want a sick looking car; then just get some eGay stuff and call it a day.

If you want your car to ride well, handle better, and look sweet doing it - then save your pennies and buy some big ballin damper kit.

There is more to a car than how it looks sitting in a parking lot, how it looks while it's dynamically engaged is where it's at IMO.
-jonathan

redrumracer
10-19-2008, 03:08 PM
dont be a pussy, just cut the springs in half.

EDIT: that way youll always have a spare set of springs if the first half give out.

Elbow
10-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Taking springs out = best way, then you have the softer struts to smoothen the ride. We do it on our track cars.

redrumracer
10-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Taking springs out = best way, then you have the softer struts to smoothen the ride. We do it on our track cars.
i dont even think he would be able to get the jack from under that car if he did that, let alone if it would sit high enough to drive.

but the main question is, do you want to have to think about speed bumps and how to approach them, does the thought of something just being .5 higher being able to stop you bother you, or do you like to plan you trip around which roads have pot holes and which ones have rail road tracks that MAY be too high? if you answered yes to any of these questions, then a true slam is not for you.

Elbow
10-19-2008, 03:55 PM
^Got issues?

1439/2000
10-19-2008, 04:04 PM
If this is your DD why dont you just drive it around and be comfortable?

redrumracer
10-19-2008, 04:10 PM
^Got issues?
holy hell, not really it kept saying some bs about some duplicate crap so i went to take a look and it wasnt there, about to delete 2 of em

Elbow
10-19-2008, 04:12 PM
lol

itsnotarex
10-19-2008, 04:16 PM

http://www.azillionthings.com/lookytouchy/orly_owl.jpg

Is this really done? Thats crazy.

And to the OP, taking the springs out probably is your best way to slam your car on the cheap. I know a guy that rode around like that for quite awhile. Its not comofortable but it works.

gtikid
10-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Omni's :goodjob:

A slammed car doesn't ride as bad as everyone says it does, unless you have some terribly shitty cheap suspension. My hatch rode pretty good until my axle broke :D

redrumracer
10-19-2008, 04:29 PM
http://www.azillionthings.com/lookytouchy/orly_owl.jpg

Is this really done? Thats crazy.

And to the OP, taking the springs out probably is your best way to slam your car on the cheap. I know a guy that rode around like that for quite awhile. Its not comofortable but it works.
looks like you caught one simon
http://www.fish-killgore.com/tarpon_fishing_001-1a.jpg

dorin48
10-19-2008, 09:39 PM
You can have a normal suspension and be slammed. VW guys do it once and a while only because its very labor intensive. Involves reworking strut towers, doing fab on steering knuckles and tie rods and cutting wheel wells of course.

Go here and look at what he does. -----> http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2770304

1badgvr4
10-19-2008, 11:04 PM
I want the d2's but we'll see.Maybe I can find a used set.

Andy_013
10-19-2008, 11:13 PM
I would get H&R Ultra Low Set Coil-Over. It lower your car 3.0-5.0 in. that should made your car nice and low.

Humphrizzle
10-19-2008, 11:21 PM
you could do it the right way with expenisve ass coilovers and what not or you could be a real man and cut the springs in half and eventually ride on your blown springs. its your call

how do you blow springs?

junior_tm
10-19-2008, 11:31 PM
i drove my car on springs that where cut and the car jumped like a mofo
my friend had his springs heated and it kept on lowering itself until there was no place to lower

i'm riding my car on skunk 2 springs and they look good to me and ride good no more jumping and sh!!

like some here said do it right the 1st time

1badgvr4
10-19-2008, 11:34 PM
On second thought it might be gc's with koni's and champ white steels.

greasemunkey
10-20-2008, 12:08 AM
whatever you do don't cut them. The car will jump like junior said. my bro did it a long time ago and spun his car around on the interstate when it was raining.

junior_tm
10-20-2008, 12:45 AM
taking about spin that happened to me when i was going to get on the interstate... i was coming from 120 loop (263 off I-75) and i was going to get south bound on I-75 and when i was turning kinda fast 50mph the back of the car jumped and i lost control of the car and i went straight to the bushes on the left side of the ramp

if anyone passes there you can see the hole where my car was
i even got a ticket sayin i didnt mainten lane($280) fawkin marietta

anyways don do dat

greasemunkey
10-20-2008, 12:56 AM
lol, especially if you have a hatch with no weight in the back!

GSRteg®
10-20-2008, 01:32 AM
lol, especially if you have a hatch with no weight in the back!

True that

bigdare23
10-20-2008, 01:51 AM
My hatch rode pretty good until my axle broke :D

I wonder why :lmfao:

I never like the slammed look. It changes the geometry of the suspension too much for me. I would never go lower than 2-2.5in my rides.

Total_Blender
10-20-2008, 08:31 AM
http://kalecoauto.com/images/LowerKit.jpg

Some people spend hundreds - even thousands merely to lower their car! Some people even cut their springs - that is the wrong way to lower a car! Why bother with different bolt sizes and components, when KaleCoAuto's do-it-yourself lowering kit is a mere four piece kit! Installs in minutes, just insert one per tire and you'll be the envy of every lowrider in town! Now available in standard, chrome, and gold..

Only $19.99! They have a lot of other awesome products too :goodjob:

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=11

southside
10-20-2008, 09:20 AM
its not slammed unless you can hang your hand out the window and scrape your nuckles on the ground, its not slammed unless you have speed bumps in your nightmares, its not slammed if you never have to change your oil pan, its not slammed unless allignment places just shake their head when they see you, its not slammed unless your tires have wires sticking out the inside and the outside has almost 80% tread left. OTHERWISE ITS JUST LOWEREDDamn you just describe my life:lmfao:

Sushi
10-20-2008, 10:21 AM
http://kalecoauto.com/images/LowerKit.jpg

Only $19.99! They have a lot of other awesome products too :goodjob:

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=11

lol nice!

93delsol15
10-20-2008, 10:36 AM
just get a healthy sized girlfriend

scratch that..the food will prob break you

just pick up a new GTR you will come out cheaper

Sammich
10-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Take the springs out.

qft all the racers do it

Z33_kid
10-20-2008, 12:27 PM
buy some coilovers !

SiRed94
10-20-2008, 01:00 PM
There's a crank, located on the firewall, that lowers the vehicle ride height. You have to take the intake manifold off to be able to see it or to be able to get access to it. It's pretty simple, counterclockwise lowers it, clockwise raises it.

VickNotic
10-20-2008, 01:22 PM
There's a crank, located on the firewall, that lowers the vehicle ride height. You have to take the intake manifold off to be able to see it or to be able to get access to it. It's pretty simple, counterclockwise lowers it, clockwise raises it.

ISh this for REalz?

junior_tm
10-20-2008, 01:28 PM
i don know i never saw it

quickdodge®
10-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Did someone say, "NO SPRINGS?"

Keep in mind these were taken back in the late 80s and early 90s. Pictures weren't taken care of very well ,either. These were all my cars. 1980 Datsun 210 SW, 1990 Geo Prizm LSi, 1980 Ford Mustang and 1987 Mazda RX7.

Lolol. Not one of those cars retained springs after about a few hours of ownership by me. Drove each of those cars for at least 3 years with NO suspension problems. Later, QD.

300zx1990tt
10-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Take the springs out? are you guys serious?
thats probably some of the most stupid shit ive heard. OP: if you cant afford coilovers then you shouldnt be modiying your car, concentrate on other things in life.

quickdodge®
10-20-2008, 10:57 PM
thats probably some of the most stupid shit ive heard.

I know I am serious. Don't knock until you've tried it. And I mean really try it. Not just take them out for a day or know someone who has done it and didn't like it. I've been heating/removing springs for over 20 years without a single incident. I don't recommend removal these days, but as for heating, hail yeah. My current '79 is riding on heated springs. You're too young and dumb to understand old school type stuff, dude. Later, QD.

Tech5
10-21-2008, 07:54 AM
Get new struts cost is 59.99 each
and Tein,Skunk2,Number1's springs 120 set

and it will ride smooth

Tech5
10-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Heating springs FTW!

ash7
10-21-2008, 08:12 AM
thats probably some of the most stupid shit ive heard. OP: if you cant afford coilovers then you shouldnt be modiying your car, concentrate on other things in life.

I like the idea Sired94 had better, im going to have to look into that... i've never noticed the lowering crank before! :)

-jonathan

1badgvr4
10-21-2008, 04:42 PM
If you would have taken the time to read I said teach me how to do it right on the cheap, and if it can't be done on the cheap how to do it right.Read alittle before you type that cool ass post.

six7teen
10-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Lowering a car the RIGHT way is never cheap.. i have tried on numerous occasions ending in failure.. the first thing i would do is check reviews on a bunch of different damper kits.. koni yellows w/ ground controls is a good setup, and even though the price seems high, it could be worse...

if you get coilovers off ebay, its gonna be bouncy.. if you cut your springs, its gonna be bouncy.. also, dont use stock struts, they'll blow before you know it, and itll be bouncy..

after you do get a good damper kit to replace your stuff with, take your stock springs and struts out and just set them in a hidden room until one day you sell the car and need to put stock stuff back on it..

dont forget to get camber kits!! and dont get cheap stuff either.. skunk2 makes a good camber kit for front and the back.. you might not think it is worth the extra 300 dollars, but when you go through 2 sets of tires in a year, you'll wish you had..

Next thing would be to get a good alignment!! after messin around with your suspension like this, your alignment and toe is probably gonna be crazy off! i had new tires on my civic and didnt get an alignment, and within 700 miles, i was showin wire on the tires!

SO, good damper kit + good camber kits + good alignment = clean low ride.. and a happy driver!!:goodjob: :goodjob:

GL

dimer4life
10-22-2008, 12:20 AM
Dude I'm going to tell you what I have done on my Civic's. I DD it, took it to mountain runs, and never had problems, never blew out shocks, and wasn't too bouncy. Cut the front springs about 4 or 5 coils, depending on how "slammed" you want it, and cut about 1 or 2 less coils on the back than you did on the front depending on how heavy a load you plan on carrying in the back. Get decent shocks like Tokico blue's(that's what I used), cut the rubber bump stops in half, and as for camber purposes, you can get a cheap camber kit up front, but Skunk 2's work best, and put single washers in between your rear camber arm and where it bolts on to the body, and roll your fenders if necessary.

dimer4life
10-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Oh and don't forget to take it to a good alignment shop to get it aligned.

quickdodge®
10-22-2008, 05:24 AM
Cut the front springs about 4 or 5 coils, depending on how "slammed" you want it, and cut about 1 or 2 less coils on the back than you did on the front depending on how heavy a load you plan on carrying in the back.

Now I vouch all day long for heating springs. But cutting I would never recommend. Aside from removing springs altogether, cutting is the next worse thing. Later, QD.

dimer4life
10-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Now I vouch all day long for heating springs. But cutting I would never recommend. Aside from removing springs altogether, cutting is the next worse thing. Later, QD.

The thing is that I have noticed that when you heat springs the car becomes REALLY bouncy because when you heat them, I guess it ruins their tensile strength. But I have done it also and it works.

quickdodge®
10-22-2008, 07:26 PM
The thing is that I have noticed that when you heat springs the car becomes REALLY bouncy because when you heat them, I guess it ruins their tensile strength. But I have done it also and it works.

In my twenty years (had to boast this info) of lowering cars this way, I've ALWAYS found it quite the opposite. I've always had a rougher, bouncier ride with cut over heat. I quit cutting years ago. My 79 is heated. There is a lot of times you'd never even know it. I also have a certain way/patter that I use to heat to help the ride quality. Later, QD.

dimer4life
10-22-2008, 09:22 PM
In my twenty years (had to boast this info) of lowering cars this way, I've ALWAYS found it quite the opposite. I've always had a rougher, bouncier ride with cut over heat. I quit cutting years ago. My 79 is heated. There is a lot of times you'd never even know it. I also have a certain way/patter that I use to heat to help the ride quality. Later, QD.

Well I guess it depends on the car or just each individuals opinion. What pattern do you use?

jadakid88
10-23-2008, 07:07 PM
x2 im on omnis and love it
http://a623.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/63/l_41f166cf4f217741b5b34daa4d361306.jpg (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=145146552&albumID=1824709&imageID=29923342#a=1824709&i=29923345)

Omni's :goodjob:

A slammed car doesn't ride as bad as everyone says it does, unless you have some terribly shitty cheap suspension. My hatch rode pretty good until my axle broke :D