PDA

View Full Version : Misc Why go to Church only on Sunday?

AtifSajid
09-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Why do Christians go to church only on sundays? or sometimes Wednesday? Is that the only days to remember God(and when I say God, I mean the almighty unkown being)?

Whats the story behind this?

Muslims are recommended to go to there Church or Mosque/Masjid as often as possible. You can go to a Masjid anytime of the day and you will see people in there worshipping or praying or reading the Quran. I usually go once a day during my lunch break.

So why is only Sunday dedicated to Church? Explain please..

TranceDJ06
09-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Right on my Muslim brother..

Killer
09-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Well God created earth in 6 days and on the seventh He rested. so that's why christians work normally 6 days a week and go to church on sunday.... BUT we don't have to be in a church to worship or in any type of sanctuary. there are christians that don't even go to church... it's not a must just a plus. it's hard to explain especially since i don't have a bible in front of me and i'm not to fresh on it.

4dmin
09-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Well God created earth in 6 days and on the seventh He rested. so that's why christians work normally 6 days a week and go to church on sunday.... BUT we don't have to be in a church to worship or in any type of sanctuary. there are christians that don't even go to church... it's not a must just a plus. it's hard to explain especially since i don't have a bible in front of me and i'm not to fresh on it.

my thing is how can you take the bible word for word and put it to reality... ok 6 days and the 7th he rest ok... cool, there are are other time/day messups in the bible so how can some be right and others be wrong... like in a previous thread about jesus being crucified, it said in passages 3 days later, which would lead you to believe that sunday isn't easter but monday :goodjob:

personally i'm with atif and his muslim brothers on this... if your going to believe and worship it should be everyday or as often as you can. i think giving your GOD only 1 possible 2 days a week is really weak to begin with.

Tracy
09-06-2005, 01:07 PM
my thing is how can you take the bible word for word and put it to reality... ok 6 days and the 7th he rest ok... cool, there are are other time/day messups in the bible so how can some be right and others be wrong... like in a previous thread about jesus being crucified, it said in passages 3 days later, which would lead you to believe that sunday isn't easter but monday :goodjob:

personally i'm with atif and his muslim brothers on this... if your going to believe and worship it should be everyday or as often as you can. i think giving your GOD only 1 possible 2 days a week is really weak to begin with.

what if you HAVE to work on Sunday???? Then what do you do if you are supposed to rest???

4dmin
09-06-2005, 01:10 PM
what if you HAVE to work on Sunday???? Then what do you do if you are supposed to rest???

then go at lunch or before/after work... no rest for you, you'll get all the sleep you need when you are dead ;)

silver
09-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Well if you are truly a christian... alot will tell their jobs that they cannot work on Sundays...

SD STI LOVER
09-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Why do Christians go to church only on sundays? or sometimes Wednesday? Is that the only days to remember God(and when I say God, I mean the almighty unkown being)?

Muslims are recommended to go to there Church or Mosque/Masjid as often as possible. You can go to a Masjid anytime of the day and you will see people in there worshipping or praying or reading the Quran. I usually go once a day during my lunch break.

So why is only Sunday dedicated to Church? Explain please..

u don't have to go to church or a worship center for God to hear u. he can hear u from your workplace, home or car. a church is just a "place" for religious people to worship together. originally they used to worship on saturdays, but was changed to sundays. it's just like when u pray for your food, do u go to church for that? what if not everyone can go to a worship center for their lunch break? or what if they work? some people have obligations and God understands that. all God asks for is that for u not to forget about him and always pray to him no matter where u are.

AtifSajid
09-06-2005, 01:36 PM
u don't have to go to church or a worship center for God to hear u. he can hear u from your workplace, home or car. a church is just a "place" for religious people to worship together. originally they used to worship on saturdays, but was changed to sundays. it's just like when u pray for your food, do u go to church for that? what if not everyone can go to a worship center for their lunch break? or what if they work? some people have obligations and God understands that. all God asks for is that for u not to forget about him and always pray to him no matter where u are.

This is a very good answer.

But another one of my points being, when I attend my mosque, they are always reading/giving the correct translation of the Quran, like on sundays at church, the preacher reads the Bible(i dont know if he gives a translation or just reads it) So that means if you cant understand the Bible, then you will only have to revert to Sundays in understanding it or have someone come explain it you..you know what I mean. Same with Islam, but I can go whenever I want and there will be a group explaining the Quran, talking about the life of the prophets..so forth.

Real Muslims make Islam there way of life - thus the Quran is actually read and understood to be the way your life should be. It is like a guide book. I wish I could find a good-REAL- Engilsh interpretation of the Quran for some to read..

The old IA board had many of those that I had posted...but those are history and I dont have a library.

Killer
09-06-2005, 01:44 PM

i can worship MY GOD where ever when ever..... and i go to church on sundays because that's when we have church.. i WORSHIP everyday.

SD STI LOVER
09-06-2005, 01:54 PM
[QUOTE=AtifSajid]This is a very good answer.

But another one of my points being, when I attend my mosque, they are always reading/giving the correct translation of the Quran, like on sundays at church, the preacher reads the Bible(i dont know if he gives a translation or just reads it) So that means if you cant understand the Bible, then you will only have to revert to Sundays in understanding it or have someone come explain it you..you know what I mean. Same with Islam, but I can go whenever I want and there will be a group explaining the Quran, talking about the life of the prophets..so forth.

Real Muslims make Islam there way of life - thus the Quran is actually read and understood to be the way your life should be. It is like a guide book. I wish I could find a good-REAL- Engilsh interpretation of the Quran for some to read..

The old IA board had many of those that I had posted...but those are history and I dont have a library.[/Q

true. but even though, that's why there are people like youth leaders that can always help u understand the bible or anything else at any giving time. but my girlfriend went to a muslim temple in atl and she said it was very nice and interesting. I would like to visit it to learn more about muslim. it sounds like an interesting religion. more power to u if u can go at any time to worship.

AtifSajid
09-06-2005, 01:59 PM
cool man...but a temple is for buddhist...lol..

SD STI LOVER
09-06-2005, 02:18 PM
oh, my bad. lol. did'nt mean to offend anybody.

Jaimecbr900
09-06-2005, 06:21 PM
I don't know about anyone else's "church", but mine is technically "open" 24/7 and there are always chuch clergy around to answer any question anyone may have.

When "services" are done is not the only time you are allowed to or asked to or recommended to worship. The answer to that is all the time.

Remember that some people spend a lot of their time volunteering for their church in many different activities which also show you are in "worship" too.

Killer
09-07-2005, 09:24 AM
^^^^^ Exactly!!!! :goodjob:

4dmin
09-07-2005, 09:51 AM
i think alot of churches now are really water downed, its a place of appreances and nothing more... personally even if i was christian i wouldn't go to church anyway b/c i can read and i can interpet the bible as i see fit, its not in the words but in what you believe. worship should be a daily practice for religious people and you don't need million dollar churches to do it.

i would like the know the % of christians who actually pray/worship daily and not just your sunday or even your x-mas/easter people.

Wedge
09-07-2005, 10:35 AM
I very rarely go to church on sunday. Mainly, because I can't find one I get into and agree with what they teach. I do go to church every Thursday to a college singles thing, and once 722 starts up again on Tuesday nights, I usually try to make it to that.

Jaimecbr900
09-07-2005, 10:39 AM
i think alot of churches now are really water downed, its a place of appreances and nothing more... personally even if i was christian i wouldn't go to church anyway b/c i can read and i can interpet the bible as i see fit, its not in the words but in what you believe. worship should be a daily practice for religious people and you don't need million dollar churches to do it.

i would like the know the % of christians who actually pray/worship daily and not just your sunday or even your x-mas/easter people.

You know what Paul? YOU are absolutely correct there my friend.

I was raised in the Catholic church and my wife was raised in the Baptist church. When we married, this made for some difficult situations. When the children were born, it compounded the problem. What church would we raise our children in????

Well, we decided to visit a bunch of different churches to find out which one would make BOTH of us happy. I had some things I didn't agree with from both the Catholic church and the Baptist, as did she. We weren't looking to switch religions, as our basic beliefs were the same it was just the "churches" handled it so differently.

While looking and visiting a number of different churches, we found one that as corny as it sounds she and I looked at each other and both said "this is it". We literally said that and joined that church that day. We have not regreted our decision since. It has traditional values like the Catholic church, but also has a big contemporary message. It has old school customs as well as modern things we can actually use. We enjoy going and we enjoy doing the things we volunteer to do there as well.

All that background to say this: I personally have visited many many churches before. Some were honestly a complete turn off to me for a variety of reasons. Some of those reasons are exactly what you said, they are "watered" down. Some were too political, some were about nothing but money, some were to fanatical.

I agree that some "churches" are not being good examples of what they are supposed to be. I also am here to tell you that I KNOW that some ARE. The key is to find one where you can spread your wings. Worshiping by yourself is good, but spreading it is better. That is where a "church" comes in. It's supposed to help you to achieve many spiritual goals, and that is one of them. Some "churches" are better at that than others. You can't condemn ALL churches under the same stigma. Not saying you do, just saying. ;)

Killer
09-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Hey wedge... let me know when 722 starts up again... i've never been but i've heard only good things!!!

4dmin
09-07-2005, 01:22 PM
You know what Paul? YOU are absolutely correct there my friend.

I was raised in the Catholic church and my wife was raised in the Baptist church. When we married, this made for some difficult situations. When the children were born, it compounded the problem. What church would we raise our children in????

Well, we decided to visit a bunch of different churches to find out which one would make BOTH of us happy. I had some things I didn't agree with from both the Catholic church and the Baptist, as did she. We weren't looking to switch religions, as our basic beliefs were the same it was just the "churches" handled it so differently.

While looking and visiting a number of different churches, we found one that as corny as it sounds she and I looked at each other and both said "this is it". We literally said that and joined that church that day. We have not regreted our decision since. It has traditional values like the Catholic church, but also has a big contemporary message. It has old school customs as well as modern things we can actually use. We enjoy going and we enjoy doing the things we volunteer to do there as well.

All that background to say this: I personally have visited many many churches before. Some were honestly a complete turn off to me for a variety of reasons. Some of those reasons are exactly what you said, they are "watered" down. Some were too political, some were about nothing but money, some were to fanatical.

I agree that some "churches" are not being good examples of what they are supposed to be. I also am here to tell you that I KNOW that some ARE. The key is to find one where you can spread your wings. Worshiping by yourself is good, but spreading it is better. That is where a "church" comes in. It's supposed to help you to achieve many spiritual goals, and that is one of them. Some "churches" are better at that than others. You can't condemn ALL churches under the same stigma. Not saying you do, just saying. ;)

i just find it funny... my dad was raised jehova witness, and my mom a catholic (went to catholic school too). so my parents didn't take us to a church b/c of the backgrounds they had, i have been and we as a family went to many different churches,.... i just found the following so crazy:

1) backwards small town thinking, your church is right and the rest are wrong.
2) money $$$ money $$$ money
3) the casual church, it has people dressed worse than casual friday at work
4) the keeping up w/ the jones church were apperance and what car you drive is everything

personally i think church is the yacht/country club for the poor. i know it sounds funny, but seriously i think worship is the last think on their minds. I'm not saying all are like this, but i think this is a huge trend in American Christianity.

Jaimecbr900
09-07-2005, 01:34 PM
i just find it funny... my dad was raised jehova witness, and my mom a catholic (went to catholic school too). so my parents didn't take us to a church b/c of the backgrounds they had, i have been and we as a family went to many different churches,.... i just found the following so crazy:

1) backwards small town thinking, your church is right and the rest are wrong.
2) money $$$ money $$$ money
3) the casual church, it has people dressed worse than casual friday at work
4) the keeping up w/ the jones church were apperance and what car you drive is everything

personally i think church is the yacht/country club for the poor. i know it sounds funny, but seriously i think worship is the last think on their minds. I'm not saying all are like this, but i think this is a huge trend in American Christianity.

I agree to an extent, but I also think it's more a perception issue with you too.

I've been to "churches" where all the things you mentioned occured. #3 and #4 are extremely rare IMO and really not that important IF the substance of the rest is there. In other words, what people look or dress like has nothing to do with how YOU or even the ones dressing badly worship. God doesn't care what you look like. Is it disrespectful? Most of the time, I think it is. But that's just my opinion. Nowhere in the Bible does it say we have to dress a certain way to worship.

Killer
09-07-2005, 01:36 PM
^^^ sadly you're right... there are a lot of churches like this... that's why instead of just not believeing you find a church that's not. that's what i had to do. i mean there have been a few times our church has just completely forgotten to take up offering cause that's not the only thing on their mind.

4dmin
09-07-2005, 01:43 PM
I agree to an extent, but I also think it's more a perception issue with you too.

I've been to "churches" where all the things you mentioned occured. #3 and #4 are extremely rare IMO and really not that important IF the substance of the rest is there. In other words, what people look or dress like has nothing to do with how YOU or even the ones dressing badly worship. God doesn't care what you look like. Is it disrespectful? Most of the time, I think it is. But that's just my opinion. Nowhere in the Bible does it say we have to dress a certain way to worship.

I just think that if a church pulls away from the core of religion which is worship; then it kills the ideas it stands behind. I think if a church has to have casual dress service to attrack teens then its nothing but a way to generate #'s and $$$. God doen't care what you look like, but this is a fairly new trend that has started in probably the past 10 years... i remember when i was a kid the term "sunday best" you don't see that as often now. its funny you'll see people dress up for court but for church :lmfao:

Killer
09-07-2005, 01:48 PM
well you've got to realize that churches now a days are realizing not everyone has the money to wear sunday best..... they've only got everyday to worse... so instead of criticising and frowning upon those we accept them as a brother or sister in Christ and welcome them into our church to worship God. because if i have to run around wearing the best suite or the worst its worth it if a soul is saved.

4dmin
09-07-2005, 02:09 PM
well you've got to realize that churches now a days are realizing not everyone has the money to wear sunday best..... they've only got everyday to worse... so instead of criticising and frowning upon those we accept them as a brother or sister in Christ and welcome them into our church to worship God. because if i have to run around wearing the best suite or the worst its worth it if a soul is saved.

you kidding me right... most of these churches i speak of are in the suburbs not the inner city... and i've been to inner city black gospel singing church and they dress better than the ones down the street from me :rolleyes:

this has nothing to do with money spent on clothes but money spent on the church. its called marketing it just took them 1000's of years to figure out how to reel them in. i'm sorry but to me its just plain discrespectful for your religion to show up to church in a BIG JOHNSON tshirt and some blue jeans.

Killer
09-07-2005, 02:18 PM
your right... but if that's all you have.. that's all you have. I go to church in north ga. it's a big church for the area, but as compared to churches here it's small... now i don't wear anything disrespectful like a shirt with a naked chick on the back... but i feel comfortable wearing a t shirt and jeans... as long as i'm presentable.... and never have i heard any of the members say a word... there are those who wear there best on sunday mornings and those who where what they have. to some churches you're right it's a fashion show... BUT NOT ALL

Wedge
09-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Hey wedge... let me know when 722 starts up again... i've never been but i've heard only good things!!!

will do i believe it starts up the 13th.. i go to school at spsu and get out around 6ish so just let me know..

722, for you and those who don't know, is probably the largest singles college generation gathering around.. i got invited to go with friends just to check it out years ago, and i liked it.. i sporatically went here and there.. now i feel that i am finally at a level where it actually speaks to me, the seven eleven praise and worship i could do without (7 verses 11 times) but honestly it's tollerable, been to much worse.. I will miss Louie the old speaker, and I am having my doubts on whoever they get speak next. Let me know and we (and if anyone else wants to) can meet up.

722.org

Jaimecbr900
09-08-2005, 11:48 AM
I just think that if a church pulls away from the core of religion which is worship; then it kills the ideas it stands behind.

Yes, but sometimes no.

The "church" is made up of lots of members and lots of different people. Just because one person ticks you off doesn't mean the WHOLE church is bad.

What really makes "churches" bad per se is when they focus on the wrong thing. I've seen churches that would rather scream and holler about believe now or go to straight to Hell than to speak to it's parishoners like a friend would. The core of the message may be technically right, but the delivery is all wrong. Follow? The same about the money. Churches need money for everything from day to day operations to missionary works to charity work. They get that money from it's members. Everybody should know that. No problem with supporting the church and it's missions. The problem comes in when either there is a miss appropriation of that money, ie. pocketing it or misspending, or when all you ever hear during a service revolves around "gimme, gimme, gimme".

My church is a semi-big church. They have big expenditures. I give wholeheartedly every week what I can afford to give. No regrets. When there are special needs, I give more to those special needs. When I feel compelled to, I give some more. My giving is my own doing. Yes, the church believes in tithing, but they're not going to excommunicate you if you don't. I would be upset if I found out that someone was stealing that money instead of using it for good. Big churches usually have an ellaborate system of checks and balances that makes it difficult to simply palm money. Too many eyes watching over the soup makes it difficult to blow your nose in it..... ;)

I think if a church has to have casual dress service to attrack teens then its nothing but a way to generate #'s and $$$. God doen't care what you look like, but this is a fairly new trend that has started in probably the past 10 years... i remember when i was a kid the term "sunday best" you don't see that as often now. its funny you'll see people dress up for court but for church :lmfao:

The church is not the parent to these teens. What do you suppose they do? Stop the service or activity and kick that teen out for wearing jeans???? There is nothing they can do besides lead by example. If the teens don't want to follow, they don't. Again, that would be like chastizing someone into not coming to church because they're too ugly. I agree with you to an extent because I don't dress like a bum when I go to church, but I also don't wear a shirt and tie either.

God loves you no matter what you wear. ;)

PSINXS
09-10-2005, 03:33 PM
Jehovahs witnesses have 5 meetings. bookstudy for printed literature, the public talk n watchtower study, the service meeting and field service.

kppk1986
11-17-2005, 12:51 AM
my baptist church has service everyday..... 5:30am except sundays....

metalman
11-17-2005, 08:27 AM
A couple of points...

First, there are two kinds of Christian churches, one is the "paper church"...that is to say its simply an earthly organization that could be based on any number of Biblical or non Biblical beliefs and/or practices. The other is the "church" as defined by the Bible. It is simply put "wherever two or three are gathered in My name...." "...My sheep hear my voice, they follow ME...." "...they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth." etc The second type rare, and few and far between.

To the original question...why go to church on sunday?....this is a good question since not one single verse in the Bible commands, authorizes, or even condones sunday as a meeting time for the purposes of worship, neither is that day "made holy" by the Creator. In fact sunday is specified in the Bible as a work day. But alas, who cares? Most people and paper churches are far more interested in their own traditions then anything the Bible says anyway.

Malana
12-06-2005, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=AtifSajid]Why do Christians go to church only on sundays? or sometimes Wednesday? Is that the only days to remember God(and when I say God, I mean the almighty unkown being)?

QUOTE]

Protestants go to church only on Sunday and sometimes Wednesday. Your impression of Christianity has obviously been influenced by living in the Protestant Bible belt. American protestants got away from going to daily church when they settled the new world and there were simply not enough ministers to hold church. Even during The Great Depression in the south, church would be held monthly when a travelling preacher came to visit. It was done this way for so long that the Protestants forgot why they were doing it.

The liturgical churches such as the Roman Catholic church, the Eastern Orthodox Churches, the Anglicans, those that worship most in keeping with the early church and their Jewish heritage, encourage their parishioners to go to church for mass as often as possible. Like you, I usually attend church daily.

AtifSajid
12-06-2005, 02:18 PM
But thats the thing..how come everything that you talk about(malana) and anyone else is always reflecting ancient history. Im not talking about what happened 100 years ago. I want to know why it isnt happening now?

Doesnt that tell you something? Something isnt right in the religion for people to stop following it, or is there a better explanation?

This is a christian country. Thats why I am talking about it for here. Not talking about Muslim here and why they dont follow. If this was a Muslim country, it would be different. I want to know about Christians..

And most everyone knows me..here...im just trying to start debate here since we have some intellects..

metalman
12-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Okay AtifSajid, I'll bite... :)
In the religion of the Bible one is to worship God every day, even several times a day. Daniel is a good example of this. In addition, the Scriptures call for the seventh day to be set aside for a day of rest from labor..., not only earthly work but the labor of working on ones salvation. It was to be a memorial of creation and to remind mankind that it is the re-creative power of God that "saves" a man, not his own works. ;)

Malana
12-07-2005, 12:37 AM
But thats the thing..how come everything that you talk about(malana) and anyone else is always reflecting ancient history. Im not talking about what happened 100 years ago. I want to know why it isnt happening now?

Doesnt that tell you something? Something isnt right in the religion for people to stop following it, or is there a better explanation?

This is a christian country. Thats why I am talking about it for here. Not talking about Muslim here and why they dont follow. If this was a Muslim country, it would be different. I want to know about Christians..

And most everyone knows me..here...im just trying to start debate here since we have some intellects..

The best way I can explain this is with an analogy. It is kind of like asking a Sunni to defend the practice of Shi'a custom... like temporary marriage.

Make sense?

I worship everyday. It is the protestants who only go on Sunday and Wednesday. I don't understand why they do that either. I guess they don't want to.

Jaimecbr900
12-07-2005, 11:52 AM
I worship everyday. It is the protestants who only go on Sunday and Wednesday. I don't understand why they do that either. I guess they don't want to.

worship

n 1: the activity of worshipping 2: a feeling of profound love and admiration [syn: adoration] v 1: love unquestioningly and uncritically or to excess; venerate as an idol; "Many teenagers idolized the Beatles" [syn: idolize, idolise, hero-worship, revere] 2: show devotion to (a deity); "Many Hindus worship Shiva" 3: attend religious services; "They worship in the traditional manner"

To "attend" a religious service is not the ONLY way to worship. Many many religions believe and "worship" right where they stand every day. Christianity is no different. You don't have to get dressed up and drive to "church" on Sunday to "worship".

Scrappy
12-07-2005, 01:19 PM
^ SO TRUE!

Malana
12-07-2005, 01:37 PM
worship

n 1: the activity of worshipping 2: a feeling of profound love and admiration [syn: adoration] v 1: love unquestioningly and uncritically or to excess; venerate as an idol; "Many teenagers idolized the Beatles" [syn: idolize, idolise, hero-worship, revere] 2: show devotion to (a deity); "Many Hindus worship Shiva" 3: attend religious services; "They worship in the traditional manner"

To "attend" a religious service is not the ONLY way to worship. Many many religions believe and "worship" right where they stand every day. Christianity is no different. You don't have to get dressed up and drive to "church" on Sunday to "worship".

Agreed... I phrased my post poorly.

The weight of the catholic bashing temporarily got me down. (sic - I've yet to see a post that exhibits an understanding of the meaning of the word "catholic" - I believe Metalman actually intends to bash only Roman Catholics and not the universal church.)

To answer Atif's originial question though.. Why only on Sunday? I attend church services almost daily. So... the question doesn't apply to me.

metalman
12-09-2005, 03:20 PM
Agreed... I phrased my post poorly.

The weight of the catholic bashing temporarily got me down. (sic - I've yet to see a post that exhibits an understanding of the meaning of the word "catholic" - I believe Metalman actually intends to bash only Roman Catholics and not the universal church.)

If you think pointing out a couple church falsehoods and errors (in light of Scripture) is "bashing" then you have your head firmly in the sand...or somewhere else.
I havent bashed anyone. In fact I pointed out that I love catholics and that some of my own family are catholic.
Any time you would like to examine some catholic teachings in light of Scripture with an open mind we can do that. I have a feeling that wont happen. Catholics in general are ignorant of what the Bible teaches as deep study or the learning of it is discouraged in their church, except under the guidance of a priest or other "ordained". Traditions and church teachings take precedence over any Bible doctrine. Which reminds me of the words of Christ "In vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men". I am just relating what I know to be true from my own experience and study.

pethelizer
12-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Hey guys, I'm new here,:) but I found this discusion interesting. Some Christians Only go to Church on Easter Sunday and Christmas. Their are Lots of steriotypes in all Religions! I'm sure we can think of some Muslims stereotypes, anyway...................Not all Christians only WORSHIP or go to Church on Sunday. Some of Christ's followers or Christians, actually still worship on the original Sabbath that was given to Moses and Israel. The Seventh Day, Saturday. But that, like some have pointed out is set aside to seperate and give you rest from the cares and burdens of the world. It is not however the only day you should worship your Creator and Savior.

metalman
12-12-2005, 06:59 PM
Hey guys, I'm new here,:) but I found this discusion interesting. Some Christians Only go to Church on Easter Sunday and Christmas. Their are Lots of steriotypes in all Religions! I'm sure we can think of some Muslims stereotypes, anyway...................Not all Christians only WORSHIP or go to Church on Sunday. Some of Christ's followers or Christians, actually still worship on the original Sabbath that was given to Moses and Israel. The Seventh Day, Saturday. But that, like some have pointed out is set aside to seperate and give you rest from the cares and burdens of the world. It is not however the only day you should worship your Creator and Savior.

Youre correct.
I would correct you on one point however...the day of rest of which you speak was given to mankind at creation when it was given to Adam & Eve, who were not Jewish, and all their decendants. ;)

Malana
12-13-2005, 01:54 AM
If you think pointing out a couple church falsehoods and errors (in light of Scripture) is "bashing" then you have your head firmly in the sand...or somewhere else..

Really? Where else could my head be? Is this a Christian sentiment? You think it might constitute bashing? Hmm?

I havent bashed anyone. In fact I pointed out that I love catholics and that some of my own family are catholic.

Actually, it is an accepted point of fact in most circles that no one hates Roman Catholicism more than Ex-Roman Catholics.

Any time you would like to examine some catholic teachings in light of Scripture with an open mind we can do that. I have a feeling that wont happen.

I'll play. Although I have to confess, I'm not a Roman Catholic. I am merely catholic and so are you. http://forums.importatlanta.com/images/smilies/smile.gif You are just ignorant of the meaning of the word. (I feel justified in using ignorant in a sentence here since you did so first.)

To quote Archbishop Fulton Sheen "No one hates the catholic church. They hate what they think is the catholic church"

metalman
12-13-2005, 08:52 AM
Really? Where else could my head be? Is this a Christian sentiment? You think it might constitute bashing? Hmm?

Actually, it is an accepted point of fact in most circles that no one hates Roman Catholicism more than Ex-Roman Catholics.

I'll play. Although I have to confess, I'm not a Roman Catholic. I am merely catholic and so are you. http://forums.importatlanta.com/images/smilies/smile.gif You are just ignorant of the meaning of the word. (I feel justified in using ignorant in a sentence here since you did so first.)

To quote Archbishop Fulton Sheen "No one hates the catholic church. They hate what they think is the catholic church"

First I am not an ex catholic.
Your incorrect assumption of my ignorance of the meaning of the word "catholic" is much like some of your assumptions regarding the attitude of God toward the use of pagan rituals.

I am very familiar with catholcism, I have intently studied the "approved" writings of the church and of the church leaders that speak for the church.
By comparing their conclusions to the writings of Scripture its plain enough for even a child to see that the church has almost completely departed from anything that even resembles Biblical Christianity.

As for ex catholics "hating" the church...that actually makes some sense in a certain way..if you were brainwashed in a cult and later liberated you probably wouldnt speak highly of that cult either. ;)

Your assumptions of any hatred on my part couldnt be farther from the truth.
In fact I have clearly stated otherwise.
I think it was Quickdodge who said in this forum that many christians here seem to jump to alot of conclusions regarding others, and even judge them.
He is correct. Perhaps youre no different???

pethelizer
12-13-2005, 10:32 AM
Youre correct.
I would correct you on one point however...the day of rest of which you speak was given to mankind at creation when it was given to Adam & Eve, who were not Jewish, and all their decendants. ;)

Okay. It was a long day yesterday when i chimed in....... You are right in that fact that GOd told Adam and Eve to rest on the Sabbath. It was NOT a jewish specific Belief. But their original world was a lot different than ours or even that of Moses. They really didn't have to work, until they where banned from the Garden. Their Desendants moved farther and farther away from God and he had to narrow the world to Noah and his family....... I guess i was referring to the Written Law Given to Moses and Israel. The Decalogue (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Decalogue+&spell=1) or Ten Commandments in which the 4th is REMEBER the Seventh Day. Which, IMO a lot of Christians forget to do.........

metalman
12-13-2005, 12:29 PM
Okay. It was a long day yesterday when i chimed in....... You are right in that fact that GOd told Adam and Eve to rest on the Sabbath. It was NOT a jewish specific Belief. But their original world was a lot different than ours or even that of Moses. They really didn't have to work, until they where banned from the Garden. Their Desendants moved farther and farther away from God and he had to narrow the world to Noah and his family....... I guess i was referring to the Written Law Given to Moses and Israel. The Decalogue (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Decalogue+&spell=1) or Ten Commandments in which the 4th is REMEBER the Seventh Day. Which, IMO a lot of Christians forget to do.........

Youre right about that.
People have a tendancy to do "what feels right to them" rather then follow the principles of the Bible which they profess to believe. They also feel free to make adjustments, additions, and subtractions to Biblical instruction and principle by substituting man-made nonsense. It makes perfect sense that Christ would say...
"Not everyone who says to me,'Lord, Lord,' will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven; but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will tell me in that day,'Lord, Lord, didn't we prophesy in your name, in your name cast out demons, and in your name do many mighty works? Then I will tell them,'I never knew you. Depart from me, you who work iniquity"

Crazy Asian
12-13-2005, 12:34 PM
Actually since my dad is pastor this what he tells me. Church is Gods House where you praise and worship him and you dont need to go to church only on Sundays...heck hardcore christians like my dad and alot of other people go Wed. Tues. and Sat or we gather a group of Christians and meet on a certain days of a week to praise and worship. We goto church to praise and to worship God on his Resting day and since some people are really busy the best time for those people is on Sundays. Um Muslims they worship alot but your not into the real christians. Alot of christians just dont meet on Sundays we meet like Wed and Fri or even Sat not just Sundays.

quickdodgeŽ
12-25-2005, 08:49 AM
Going to church makes you no more of a christian than sleeping in a garage makes you a car. Later, QD.

MachNU
12-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Going to church makes you no more of a christian than sleeping in a garage makes you a car. Later, QD.

yeah as long as you believe in God and Jesus, i really dont understand what the difference will make if you dont og to church every sunday, or jsut once a week. I consider myself a Christain wether i go to church or not! :2cents:

CiViCCuTie
12-26-2005, 08:58 AM
You don't have to go to church to have a relationship with God...IMO...He is all knowing and almighty...you could pray and him hear you from your bedroom...

Hulud
12-26-2005, 10:20 AM
im sorry but the whole concept of chruch is a bit shady to me