PDA

View Full Version : amp/sub wiring question...

Silvrmaxx
10-17-2008, 11:57 AM
my question is how to wire up a DVC 4ohm subwoofer to play at 4 ohms on a class d mono amp... all i can find on the net is wiring it for 2ohms and 8ohms... can it even be done?:thinking:

...or would i have to wire up each voice coil to the amp separately like its 2 SVC subs??

patrick4588
10-17-2008, 12:03 PM
cant be done. you can wire (2) 4ohm dvc into 4ohms or 1ohm

Silvrmaxx
10-17-2008, 12:17 PM
hmm... well fuk... preciate it

Dozier
10-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Just wire it into 2 ohms and call it a day.

BanginJimmy
10-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Just wire it into 2 ohms and call it a day.

please refrain from answering in these forums until you learn what the hell you are talking about.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Dozier
10-17-2008, 05:53 PM
please refrain from answering in these forums until you learn what the hell you are talking about.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Excuse me mister negative. I do know what the hell I am talking about. Why would you want to wire up a sub at 4 ohms if it can be wired at 2 ohms. Is he going for sound quality? Please refrain from being a dick head until you pull your head out of your ass...Thank you and have a great day.

patrick4588
10-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Excuse me mister negative. I do know what the hell I am talking about. Why would you want to wire up a sub at 4 ohms if it can be wired at 2 ohms. Is he going for sound quality? Please refrain from being a dick head until you pull your head out of your ass...Thank you and have a great day.

yeah he is going for sound quality. if you check his other threads, he is getting a jl w3 for daily and having a different setup for competition and spl.

Dozier
10-17-2008, 06:46 PM
It wasn't mentioned in this thread....If I had known that he was going for sq, it would be different and my answer would have been different.

BanginJimmy- You should not assume that I do not know what I am talking about. I DO know as I make a living as an installer, and I have been "educated" on the career I have chosen. There was simply missing info on the issue, and I was unaware. I would appreciate it if you would not result to such accusations and jump to conclusions of my knowledge in car audio. Thank you sir.

patrick4588
10-17-2008, 07:28 PM
tis all good

redgst97
10-17-2008, 09:20 PM
SQ versus SPL wqould have yielded a different suggestion for impedence for the woofers?!?!?!?!?!?!

WHY????

A better answere would have been, "It depends on the amplifier you have. Some are optimized for 4-Ohm loads, some 2-Ohm loads, some 1-Ohm loads, etc. To get the best performance from your 4-Ohm DVC woofer, you might want to look into an amplifier that matches its wattage output at 2-Ohms to the power handling capabilities of your woofer. A DVC 4-Ohm woofer can have a final impedence of wither 2-Ohms or 8-Ohms depending on how you wire it."

THAT is my answer. SQ and/or SPL be dammed.

So, I am a sound quality person. My sub is a 4-Ohm DVC. Is it wrong that I have it at 2-Ohms? Does my car not have the ability to sound good?

patrick4588
10-17-2008, 10:22 PM
unless he is running a good amplifier, less damping / higher THD at 2 ohm load than 4. if he has a high quality amp though, the difference shouldnt be noticeable. but since we dont know his amp, we assume the latter.

BanginJimmy
10-17-2008, 10:25 PM
I wont bother to respond further to your ignorant suggestions.

BTW, what BB or CC do you work at so I can avoid that one if I'm too lazy to install my own trash?

patrick4588
10-17-2008, 10:45 PM
who are you referring to banginjimmy?

BanginJimmy
10-18-2008, 01:56 PM

this comment, followed by his other 2.

Dozier
10-18-2008, 04:05 PM
^^^Once again still being a dick. You know there is room on boards for other people's suggestions who DO know what they are talking about. You aren't very mature are you? Any respectful person would have simply understood that I was unaware of the sound quality setup and ohm load preference. Then they would have moved on. You don't have to be jealous that I like to comment on threads too. You don't know everything, and I agree there is room for everyone to grow in car audio, and I don't know everything. However I said nothing to you directly in the first place to set off this rampage against me. Chill.

big99miketma
10-18-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm sorry, I'm still confused what does SPL or SQ have to do with how you wire a woofer?? Especially adding the fact that "unless he is running a good amplifier" because if you have a crap amplifier you cant win in SQ or SPL, and he already stated it is a class d so I would definitely assume it is not for SQ

patrick4588
10-18-2008, 11:53 PM
sigh. he never said he wanted to win any competitions. he is simply having a daily system for cruising around and then another one to compete with and take to shows. for his daily system he is more concerned with sound quality than spl, so he wants to wire it to 4ohms to get the best signal. refer to my above post if you dont understand why 4ohms is better than 2ohms for sound quality

big99miketma
10-19-2008, 08:55 PM
sigh, so he wants to cut the power output of his amplifier by half to save him a half percent of THD, that sounds intelligent.

I also think it is funny that a CC installer is trying to tell redgst97 that 4 ohm sounds better than 2 ohm after he stated he had his sub wired at 2 ohm, you do realize he is an IASCA world champion in SQ??

b@d @pple
10-19-2008, 09:16 PM
this thread is funny...3 people know what they are talking about ..the rest of you just dont get it

BanginJimmy
10-19-2008, 10:56 PM
this thread is funny...3 people know what they are talking about ..the rest of you just dont get it

I try to keep the smart people entertained with my ignorant ramblings.

patrick4588
10-20-2008, 12:01 AM
sigh, so he wants to cut the power output of his amplifier by half to save him a half percent of THD, that sounds intelligent.

I also think it is funny that a CC installer is trying to tell redgst97 that 4 ohm sounds better than 2 ohm after he stated he had his sub wired at 2 ohm, you do realize he is an IASCA world champion in SQ??

no one said anything about redgst? this thread went waaay off topic. the original question was answered, i think this can be locked