PDA

View Full Version : I hav an overheating problem which cant be explained, someone help please.

teh_mugen18
10-16-2008, 05:24 PM
I have an all stock b18B in a 1990 integra, and it seems to be wanting to run extremely hot but i cannot seem to find the reason why.

I already checked water/coolant, the radiator, the block and head coolant passages, theres no coolant leaks anywhere and the water pump is brand new and functioning well. I dont know what else there can be. The engine even wants to run so hot that i removed the thermostat completely just to keep the thing running in a reasonable temperature zone.

The thing that is with it is that the cylinder COMBUSTION temperatures are getting too high, and as a result it makes the water temp go up high too. I was thinking that it could be my catalytic converter, only because when i was first attempting to make the car run, i ran it so rich that there was raw fuel coming out the exhaust pipe... If i get a test pipe, can this be the solution?

Someone help with this. Theres nothing else to check...:surrender

Slomaro Z28
10-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Head Gasket? Air in the Coolant system?

teh_mugen18
10-16-2008, 05:30 PM
everything in the cooling system has been checked and re-checked, and nothing has failed. Except for the fact that there is no thermo. but that is on purpose.

Slomaro Z28
10-16-2008, 05:32 PM
I was just throwin some ideas around, what about that head gasket? Run a compression test on it.

Vteckidd
10-16-2008, 05:38 PM
didnt you just rebuild this motor?

You can do the easy thing and replace the coolant temp sensor. but i doubt thats the problem.

if its running so hot, that you have to pull the thermostat out, then you got major problems, and its NOT the catalytic convertor.

You got a blown headgasket, or your fan isnt coming on

Vteckidd
10-16-2008, 05:39 PM
FYI your cylinder temps arent going to go through the roof with a bad cat, especially on a LS motor so you can rule that out.

1439/2000
10-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Bad bearing on the water pump? Though it may not leak, they can get worn out and not push as hard.

teh_mugen18
10-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Lol, nope i just bought another motor instead

My compression is perfect, and the head gasket is there 100% also, and the fan is coming on because i have it on a separate user-controlled switch.

teh_mugen18
10-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Bad bearing on the water pump? Though it may not leak, they can get worn out and not push as hard.

Lol, this is a brand new piece as well. I checked it and made sure it was okay before putting it on too:yes:

Vteckidd
10-16-2008, 06:00 PM
then replace the engine coolant temp sensor.

Is it ACTUALLY getting hot? or is the guage just saying its hot?

is the overflow bubbling over?

Kaiser
10-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Have you burped the coolant system to ensure that there's no air in the system and that coolant is flowing properly?

Have you checked to make sure the temperature sensor is working properly and wired correctly?

I suppose there's also the possibility of an issue with your radiator too. I can't imagine how/why, but it's the only thing we haven't talked about.

Vteckidd
10-16-2008, 06:06 PM
usually if its a radiator cap itll steam, if its the original radiator cap, id replace it just to rule it out.

teh_mugen18
10-16-2008, 06:17 PM
cap has been replaced, no steam from it.

i flushed my radiator out ~3days ago, it was all good.

teh_mugen18
10-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Hm, i have a feeling i may be just acting a bit paranoid....because i just went and serviced/checked the cooling system. There were some bubbles in it, and there was also not quite enough coolant in it either. I just filled it up, and it seems to be doing MUCH better.

BUT! (yes theres still a hitch...!!)

When the engine is warmed up, and i rev the throttle, response is VERY sluggish and slow...That is my second concern. What could be causing that?

Vteckidd
10-16-2008, 06:40 PM
maybe your timing is off causing the car to run hot

teh_mugen18
10-16-2008, 06:46 PM

That is a possibility but i doubt it, because i have ignition timing marks on the helicopter/ignition coil inside the dizzy from my old engine for TDC and i got them to line up with TDC on this engine perfectly..But, if the engines are different, does that mean different firing moments?

I should probably get my ignition timing professionally done, if thats the case..

1civic
10-16-2008, 06:57 PM

This is what I would check, If he has done a leak-down along with a pressure test on the coolant then it could be lean because of timing.. :doh:
Not very common but in this case unless it has a Hairline crack in the coolant passage or Block, also a Warped block or head would cause this But unless you have done ether leak down or coolant test you will never know.. :goodjob: Just my :2cents:

1civic
10-16-2008, 07:02 PM
On a side you said you checked the head and block but don't say how.. :thinking::Also If your unsure about some timing marks then you need to search online.. :goodjob:

teh_mugen18
10-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Okay, looks like leakdown is next lol

but i see no point to leakdown test if compression is at 100% in the motor:???:

On a side you said you checked the head and block but don't say how.. :thinking::Also If your unsure about some timing marks then you need to search online.. :goodjob:

I checked it with a compression test, i dont realy see a point in testing anything else if the compression is perfect on teh engine, like i said before

Vteckidd
10-16-2008, 07:06 PM

1civic
10-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Okay, looks like leakdown is next lol

but i see no point to leakdown test if compression is at 100% in the motor:???:

I checked it with a compression test, i dont realy see a point in testing anything else if the compression is perfect on teh engine, like i said before

Make Mr. Kidd happy and check the timing... I do agree with him on that, The other stuff I posted was based on the timing being right.. :goodjob:

AnthonyF
10-16-2008, 08:20 PM
Did you replace the temp sensor yet? Checking and rechecking coolant levels is not going to fix the problem.

I think you should, in all honesty, stop posting all your damn problems and take it to a mechanic. FOR ONCE get some1 who knows what they are doing.

-Ant.

teh_mugen18
10-16-2008, 09:12 PM
^^ This is the first/only problem i've posted and its the only one i have....its just the one FINAL bug after the engine swap. But, its all good, cuz i know whats wrong with it.

Thanks alot all of yall who posted...:ninja: :goodjob:

G.C
10-16-2008, 10:05 PM
what was the problem? lol

AnthonyF
10-17-2008, 07:18 AM
what was the problem? lol

Not what, Who.

-Ant.

teh_mugen18
10-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Not what, Who.

-Ant.

WOW. Not cool, seeing as how you don't even know who i am...

The problem is that the cylinders do not seem to be getting enough fuel inside of them to create a burn that will be in a reasonable temperature range for me to run the engine with some power/efficiency. When the engine warms to temperature, it seems to lose all power. I have to run the engine at WOT from 1k - 4k on the tach just to get it to keep up with traffic, and i also have to downshift just to get the car up small hills. Before the engine is warm though, it runs perfectly. Power, throttle response, etc. is all there; until it gets warm that is.

teh_mugen18
10-17-2008, 05:31 PM
bump?

Kaiser
10-18-2008, 05:32 PM
bump?

Bump for what? If you know what's wrong with it, fix it. If you don't have enough fuel, then fix the amount of fuel the car's getting. Don't bump a post after you shoot down Anthony and Kidd about this when they know what they're talking about. You've had nothing but issues with your car with the old motor and were half the posts on General Tech for a while there, now you've got a swap with weak fuel.

If the problem is fuel, then work on the stuff that improves fuel delivery.