PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Age

Hulud
09-05-2005, 09:32 PM
what do you think about it should htey lower it raise it keep it the same?
WHY?

ironchef
09-05-2005, 10:00 PM
They should lower it to 18 imo. You can do anything but drink at 18, so why not. And that whole you're more mature thing when you're older is bs. I've seen way to many idiots to disprove that theory real quick.

D16Civic
09-05-2005, 10:01 PM
hmm, this is a hard one to answer
In a way i think it should be lowered, but then again i think it should stay the same.

The main reason why i think it should be lowered is the fact that at 17 you are seen as an adult in the eyes of the law. If everything you do is judged from the aspect that you are an adult, why shouldnt you be allowed to drink. I mean, if you do anything wrong, you are tried and get punished as an adult, yet you cant drink, but hey, at 18 you can give your life for your country, yet u still cant drink. I find that kind of messed up, but then again...

I kinda think it needs to stay the same too. Usually, the older you get, the more responsible you get, and for some people 17 or 18 is just way too young. Altho, stupidity can come from any age so its hard to say. And of course, a whole lot of people drink before they turn 21 anyways.

If they were to lower it tho, i think they should lower it only to like 19 or someting tho, just cuz that would mean you would at least be out of high school and wouldnt have that easy access to something that could screw ur highschool career up. I mean, once your out of high school, i believe you should be responsible enough, even tho a lot of people arent, but at least they would have their high school diploma w/ a little more flexibility in their lives.

Thats my :2cents:

GTScoob
09-05-2005, 10:49 PM
but hey, at 18 you can give your life for your country, yet u still cant drink. I find that kind of messed up, but then again...

If you're 18 and on active duty in the armed services you are allowed to buy alcohol.

I dont know the original reason for the age of 21, but I imagine that for the most part there is a nice maturity jump from 18-21 (there are always going to be idiots that will be the exception).

I really could care less either way, alcohol is easy enough to get underage that I dont mind waiting until May to be able to legally buy.

neontuner95
09-06-2005, 12:21 AM
[QUOTE=GTScoob]If you're 18 and on active duty in the armed services you are allowed to buy alcohol.

Really I wasnt aware of that not at Barksdale or any of the bases I've been to maybe overseas. But they're very strict in the states. Right now there is a zero tolerance for drinking and driving along with under age drinking under the age of 21. Also not allowed to sell alcohol to a minor.

djmaddmartin
09-06-2005, 12:25 AM
It should be licensed at 18! If you keep fucking up because of your drinkin you get your drinking license suspended or revoked. This includes party fouls.

GTScoob
09-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Thats what some buddies told me. They said that if you were under 21, but "Active" then you could buy alcohol on base.

Jaimecbr900
09-06-2005, 04:25 PM
It should be raised to 30!!!!! ;)

There are far too many underage drinkers already. It's like a joke now. Kids look at a Minor in Possesion ticket as a badge of honor now-a-days. You drop it to 18 and you simply open up the flood gates to every body that already drinks illegally. You guys already drink when the LEGAL age is 21, so what do you think is gonna happen if dropped to 18??? Drink twice as much.

To each their own, and yall can all drink til you puke, that's not my business.

Personally, I think at the very least it should stay the same. At 21, you don't know much, so at 18 you certainly know even less than that.

hitomi
09-06-2005, 04:37 PM
i thought the worst thing ever was the fact that people who were older than me but more immature were able to drink but i wasn't. when i finally turned 21 though, i saw a huge difference in the crowds i was around since i was allowed in 21+ places. there IS a difference in maturity and attitude, and whereas you may disagree, when you are finally 21 and go somewhere and compare it to an 18+ club, you will see things differently.

i guess i can disagree with my own thinking prior to my 21st birthday...i'm glad i had to "wait" to be able to legally drink. suddenly it isnt such a big deal anymore at all....

blacknightteg
09-06-2005, 04:50 PM
i think that the drinking age being 21 its not stupid but at the same time, i dont think it serves anymre purpose then it would if it were 18, i highly doubt the maturity level increases anymore through out those 4 years because yours till in college and you've most likely been drinking for a couple of years already so in my opinion being 18 19 20 or 21 there isnt that big of a difference in maturity

Hulud
09-06-2005, 09:34 PM
i just think that the draft/joining the military should be the same as drinking along with voting.

if you can sway your country, die for your country why cant you drink?

Jaimecbr900
09-06-2005, 09:49 PM
i just think that the draft/joining the military should be the same as drinking along with voting.

if you can sway your country, die for your country why cant you drink?

Simple; that's like saying you can be a Father simply because you can get somebody pregnant..... :rolleyes:

Hulud
09-06-2005, 09:54 PM
no its really not

Jaimecbr900
09-06-2005, 10:27 PM
no its really not

Really???? :rolleyes:

You can serve in the Army when you volunteer and just because you are 18.

You can get somebody pregnant just because you have sperm in your ejaculate.

You can serve in the Army but that doesn't make you GROWN.

You can get somebody pregnant, but that doesn't make you a FATHER.

Should I keep showing you how both things are examples of just because and not equal to?????

Just because you are legally an adult at 18 it doesn't mean you ARE. Even at 21, you are still wet behind the ears, especially men.

Besides, when yall finally get there you will find out, just like many other things yall think are sooooo important now, that it's really not that big a deal. It's a big deal now because you're not supposed to. When you can w/o getting in trouble, it will quickly lose it's luster.

Hulud
09-06-2005, 10:29 PM
Really???? :rolleyes:

You can serve in the Army when you volunteer and just because you are 18.

You can get somebody pregnant just because you have sperm in your ejaculate.

You can serve in the Army but that doesn't make you GROWN.

You can get somebody pregnant, but that doesn't make you a FATHER.

Should I keep showing you how both things are examples of just because and not equal to?????

Just because you are legally an adult at 18 it doesn't mean you ARE. Even at 21, you are still wet behind the ears, especially men.

Besides, when yall finally get there you will find out, just like many other things yall think are sooooo important now, that it's really not that big a deal. It's a big deal now because you're not supposed to. When you can w/o getting in trouble, it will quickly lose it's luster.
good point, i stand corrected

but i still feel they should all be the same age, i mean i could care less though b/c ill be 21 in a month

rbwdriven
09-08-2005, 07:32 PM
I guess this is where I'm a little confused.

Growing up in London England the drinking age is 18.

But if you are with your dad in a pub you can drink. You will get served a shandy (beer and english sprite). Actually a very smooth drink, no beer taste. You can get them at taco mac. Even though the one near me in woodstock the bartender tends to fuck it up every time. Too much beer.

I grew up with beer and wine in the house. Grew up with dad being a london police officer so pretty much had to watch what I did.

I also grew up with grandma letting me have a drink of her guinness from the age of 2.

Too me drinking over here was not a big deal since I have been around it all my life.

The best way I can relate to you guys who are under the designated age is when i grew up my mum would not let me have a motor bike. Well it made me want one really bad. Now I'm old enough and mum says why not you own your own house you have a son. I dont really want one.

Basically if you get told no you cant have it, it makes you want it even more. (i believe this is called reverse psycology)

I guess also this goes back to all those lovely little 16 year olds popping out babies. Being told you cant have sex just makes them want it more, except they dont know what to do and boom. Look mummy and daddy I have a trophy.

Now please keep in mind that this has been my observation since I've grown up it two different countries and lifestyles.

Cliff
09-08-2005, 10:17 PM
on the active and able to drink...i have many friends who are 18 and can buy alcohol and get into 21 and up clubs with just their active millitary id.....

oh and definately not lower it...kids are idiots enough as is...at least at 21 kids that are drinking underage will think twice before they drive maybe....