PDA

View Full Version : Car hesitates, misfires at idle..wtf

OhMyGodfather
10-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Ok, at idle, my motor misfires every 2 seconds, and when i get on the throttle it consistantly hesitates and almost takes 10 seconds to get to 60mph from a dead stop.

Check all my plugs and all are grey/tan and dont smell like fuel.

Check all my wires for damage, none, even swapped them out for a good set, no fix.

Swapped air filter, and brake cleaner on maf sensor to clean it off.

Reset my ecu as well.

Fuel filter is practically new.

All injectors sound like they are firing normal when i listen with a screwdriver

I have fuel to all 4 cylinders

I have spark to all 4 cylinders

It is a stock, rebuilt KA24DE.

Idles at 1k.

Has a half tank of premium from Citgo.

Anyone have any idea whats going on?

changaroo
10-14-2008, 10:53 PM
are the plugs gapped correctly?

OhMyGodfather
10-14-2008, 10:56 PM
are the plugs gapped correctly?

yes, and the o2 sensor was just replaced as well.

greasemunkey
10-14-2008, 11:18 PM
take off your dist. cap and clean it, replace button if it needs...if that doesn't work take off your fuel rail and clean your injectors thoroughly. if it still doesn't fix the problem you sir have an intake leak. O or you have lost compression.

FlipKing
10-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Any oil on ur spark plugs? mine was doing that and a gasket was leaking oil on my plugs

greasemunkey
10-14-2008, 11:24 PM
o and alot of bad gas has been floating around with the new "shortages" so that new fuel filter is as good as done most likely if you caught some bad gas. I had a problem with mine, the one that was on there was new when I bought the car and I had to replace it soon after because of some bad gas going around im sure.

SiRed94
10-15-2008, 12:28 AM
Check all of the ignition components (mechanical and electrical), do a compression check, and check the TPS. Spraying the MAF sensor with brake cleaner was not a good idea, it can ruin the unit, hopefully it didn't damage it.

OhMyGodfather
10-15-2008, 01:28 AM
it ran fine for almost a month after i did that though

Barefoot
10-15-2008, 05:54 AM
timing

seanrg1116
10-15-2008, 07:34 AM
timing

x2

greasemunkey
10-15-2008, 10:37 AM
timing doesn't "just jump" like alot of ppl say...sure it happens, but rarely. if the timing belt is very old and worn, then maybe it might.

Kaiser
10-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Usually when people say timing they don't mean anything about the timing belt, they mean the distributor. The adjustment bolts can loosen and the distributor can wiggle after a while. It doesn't happen ~often~ per-se, but it happens often enough.

EmminoDaGreat
10-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Check your egr system, (assuming this is is a stock motor)...

Barefoot
10-16-2008, 01:00 AM
timing doesn't "just jump" like alot of ppl say...sure it happens, but rarely. if the timing belt is very old and worn, then maybe it might.
Usually when people say timing they don't mean anything about the timing belt, they mean the distributor. The adjustment bolts can loosen and the distributor can wiggle after a while. It doesn't happen ~often~ per-se, but it happens often enough.im talking about in general check both takes a few seconds to do so why not.

EmminoDaGreat
10-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Since these are chain motors, they rarely jump unless the hydraulic tensioner fails... but ignition timing still should be checked..