PDA

View Full Version : gsr civic timing

bpoweredhatch
10-14-2008, 06:35 PM
ok i think my gsr my be out of time a little bit.its built for turbo and i think it could be out of time. its like something is holding it back on the lower end.i took a picture of my cam gears to see if someone could tell from the picture.

SiRed94
10-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Make the up marks on each gears face upwards, then make each of the slots on the sides line up with each other and the top of the head. Then take a picture of the timing mark on the lower timing belt cover, and of the marks on the crank pulley and I can tell you.

bpoweredhatch
10-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Make the up marks on each gears face upwards, then make each of the slots on the sides line up with each other and the top of the head. Then take a picture of the timing mark on the lower timing belt cover, and of the marks on the crank pulley and I can tell you.had someone look at it a second ago.they said its in time but i dont know. the guy said its built but with factory p72 pistons.and it has no power on take off.and i went for a ride around the block a second ago and the lights where blinking on the dash. and it was like something was holding it back on bottom end power

BTEC
10-14-2008, 08:30 PM
i was one tooth off on my d series and it was sluggish on take off but drove fine on topend. that was til i melted a piston. make sure its in time.

bpoweredhatch
10-14-2008, 08:40 PM
i was one tooth off on my d series and it was sluggish on take off but drove fine on topend. that was til i melted a piston. make sure its in time.so you melted a piston that way.but ima let someone check it to make sure the timing is right.i mean it runs fine but it acts like its not gettin enough gas or something it sputs when its on lower end

BTEC
10-14-2008, 08:46 PM
yeah, id let somebody that knows what they are doing check it out. Not trying to be funny. I cant think of anytime ive had that problem (and ive had many), so right now i dnt have any advise. Maybe the tech 5 mofo will come in here and type something out of his bible. lmao!!

bpoweredhatch
10-14-2008, 09:03 PM
yeah, id let somebody that knows what they are doing check it out. Not trying to be funny. I cant think of anytime ive had that problem (and ive had many), so right now i dnt have any advise. Maybe the tech 5 mofo will come in here and type something out of his bible. lmao!!well it has the big elderbrock intake mani on it now. i was just looking on honda tech and it said it could make my car run like crap on low end sense its not turboed.is that true anybody?

BTEC
10-14-2008, 09:06 PM
hell no. Do u realize how many ppl upgrade intake manifolds everyday? So that manifold is for boosted cars only? lmao!! Ive never seen that kinda crap on honda tech before.

I mean, it would change ur a/f ration bc its bigger but i seriously doubt that is why ur car runs like that.

G.C
10-14-2008, 09:12 PM
just take it to a shop and let them check it out.

bpoweredhatch
10-14-2008, 09:12 PM
here is the link...http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2373014&postid=35437463

G.C
10-14-2008, 09:22 PM
dont believe what half of what those people say.

scttydb411
10-14-2008, 09:52 PM
looking at the dist, you are way advanced right now. loosen the dist and move it to center. i'm assuming the head/block haven't been shaved and there are stock cams since you still have the stock gears.

roll the crank until the timing mark lines up and then see where the gears line up. intake manifold won't affect it that much.

the only way it'll feel stupidly sluggish being built for turbo is if it's like 8:1 or lower compression.

BTEC
10-14-2008, 09:54 PM
joe 6 pack at Mainstream said he could fix that sh!t in no time. :ninja:

bpoweredhatch
10-14-2008, 10:14 PM
its port and polished and has ctr cams bronze valve guides and the head has been shaved a little. i was just told that since it is built for turbo with the edelbrock intake that it will feel slower than it should until it is boosted.
looking at the dist, you are way advanced right now. loosen the dist and move it to center. i'm assuming the head/block haven't been shaved and there are stock cams since you still have the stock gears.

roll the crank until the timing mark lines up and then see where the gears line up. intake manifold won't affect it that much.

the only way it'll feel stupidly sluggish being built for turbo is if it's like 8:1 or lower compression.

SiRed94
10-15-2008, 12:33 AM
its port and polished and has ctr cams bronze valve guides and the head has been shaved a little. i was just told that since it is built for turbo with the edelbrock intake that it will feel slower than it should until it is boosted.

The larger manifold will make it a little bit more sluggish on bottom end, but it usually does not drastically change it on B-Series. However, if the head has a full race port on both intake and exhaust ports, that would cause a pretty good bit of loss in bottom-end power, especially if compression is low, or near stock and the engine is untuned. Just have someone who knows what they are doing check it out.

Formally...
10-15-2008, 07:53 AM
I don't think the compression would be very low if it has factory GSR pistons and a shaved head. I would check the ignition timing like Scotty said. Also, check all your grounds and check the alt connection. You said the lights flicker on the dash at low rpms. This may be an electrical problem and that would make it loose engine power.

bpoweredhatch
10-15-2008, 09:21 AM
I don't think the compression would be very low if it has factory GSR pistons and a shaved head. I would check the ignition timing like Scotty said. Also, check all your grounds and check the alt connection. You said the lights flicker on the dash at low rpms. This may be an electrical problem and that would make it loose engine power.so if the alt connection is bad it will cause a power loss right.i mean the whole dash went out and the clock lights where going in and out.but from whats all done to it i would still thinbottom end power would still make it get up and go.when it hits vtec there is no power loss but i did notice the check engine light come on after i reved it out to 8k last night

scttydb411
10-16-2008, 12:13 AM
did the cel come on at 8k and then go off when you shifted? if so the ecu has been chipped and more than likely on a basemap needing to be tuned.

get a timing light on it and set the dist timing or center the dist. roll the crank like i said and tell us how the cams line up.

if you have serious voltage issues you could have weak spark as well as leaning out fuel system.