PDA

View Full Version : Campus Debates

AlanŽ
10-13-2008, 07:32 PM
I just read Tony's post in another thread and was wondering yur thoughts on whether or not something like this should be encouraged. I certianly think it should. I go to Gordon and everyweek I look for some sort of election based activity during that week and everyweek it's the same thing. NOTHING.

Tony what was that debate like you went to kinda interested in the course of teh discussion.

tony
10-13-2008, 07:42 PM
You had 3 people who volunteered. 2 Were presenting Obama, only 1 wanted to to show up for McCain. The Affirmative for Obama went first, they presented his policies and information about him as a candidate. They took a few diggs at McCain and then the McCain supporter took the podium.

He started off presenting McCain AND Palin, and spent a lot of time going at Obama's policies.

The problem with the format is that; neither side is the candidate. And a lot of the idiots there (Shamefully Obama supporters) didn't understand this so they immediately attack the guy that is there for McCain, asking him questions about McCains healthcare plan that I doubt even McCain knows.. and just being flat disrespectful.

I showed up not as a supporter, I just wanted to see how people handle their biases and how they interract as it pertains to politics, I was dissappointed. I ended up getting up and kind of defending the McCain supporter because honestly he didnt even have to be there.

The same problem we tend to have on this forum was the same problem they had in their debate, people struggle to have clarity beyond their own biases.

alpine_aw11
10-13-2008, 07:46 PM
I would like for something like this to happen at my school. I think there's a pretty even split here, but the teachers are more liberal.