PDA

View Full Version : my car still over heats

don koupe 25
10-13-2008, 07:20 PM
i have a d16z6. when i purchased the vehicle it was overheating. about 2 weeks ago i began the long (due to my situation) process of changing the headgasket. i fired it up for the first time yesterday. but did not have time to let it run. so i went out today with more time and let it idle. took it for a quik test drive and came back. shut it off and had to run somewhere. the temp needle was reading normal. wen i came back, i proceeded to let it idle again, and about 15 mins into the idle i see the needle begin to creep. while the fan was running (switch). i walked away in frustration for bout 2 mins. came back and the needle sat at jus bout a 1/4 inch over the half way mark. can somebody give me some guidance. if u had the same problem. and if anyone can jus throw me a few pointers as to wat the key parts of heating and cooling are. the thermostat is new. the radiator has been checked. the fan is run thru a switch, the hoses are not cracked. the head was torqued down properly. cud i have air pockets still. also. im noticing that my rad cap is not closng as tight as it shud. it still retains pressure. but not like others that i have worked with in the past.......

jcs
10-13-2008, 07:31 PM
flush the radiator and see if anything changes and make sure there is water in it.best of luck to you

fly-n-low
10-13-2008, 09:07 PM
How about your timing? My Del Sol ran hotter the more I advanced the timing, naturally. The cam maybe off a tooth or two when the belt was reinstalled.

Leave cap off and make sure that the coolant is flowing and put it back on before it bubbles out the top.

RBS
10-13-2008, 09:11 PM
did you put all water in your cooling system? all water will boil up faster and not transfer heat well. drail all and put 50/50 mix antifreee in. if that dont work and your fan IS indeed on and blowing air then it may be your water pump

VickNotic
10-13-2008, 11:07 PM
hmm i'm still trying figure out my problems.. but i figured my problem out already, there was a ragg stuck inside of my radiator! which it was impossible to find when i took out the hoses out of the radiator i saw it chillen there just chillen there.. haha it was inside my lower radiator hosing! so check the radiator throughly, and test your thermostat and put it in hot boiling water and see if it opens up! raise the front of the vehicle to the highest point of the radiator and let it run with radiator cap open and with a funnell tapp it off and leave it half way ... this is jsut what i did when i had my problem.. might be xtra bubbles if not .. then you didn't do the torque sequence correctly

8,4,2,6,10 top headstuds
7,3,1,5, 9 lower headstuds

start out from middle to outside

:) these info was given to me by the infamous IA members..

don koupe 25
10-14-2008, 10:36 AM
for some reason. the coolant doesn't bubble out of the top of the radiator like most cars do wen they get hot. it jus seems to sit at one spot and vibrate, occasionally it will pop out a bubble and go back to the way it was. also wen i checked for the water pump. i opened the bleeder valve and gave it gas, and it squirted up more than normal. that means that my water pump is fine? and stilll the bottom hose remains cold. it shud at leats be warm to the touch. please someone help me with this. is this a thermostat?

wwli
10-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Did you replace the thermostate when you changed the headgasket? And what made you change the headgasket in the first place??

VickNotic
10-14-2008, 12:57 PM
for some reason. the coolant doesn't bubble out of the top of the radiator like most cars do wen they get hot. it jus seems to sit at one spot and vibrate, occasionally it will pop out a bubble and go back to the way it was. also wen i checked for the water pump. i opened the bleeder valve and gave it gas, and it squirted up more than normal. that means that my water pump is fine? and stilll the bottom hose remains cold. it shud at leats be warm to the touch. please someone help me with this. is this a thermostat?

thermostat is not opening up !!! if thats the case, if your temp is reading somehwhere near 1/2 and your lower hose is still cold, then your thermostat is not opening.. there you go.. you did say that your thermostat is new, but new shits are only remanuafactured.. autozone product i'm guessing! .. test if it opens .. take out the thermostate and put it in hot boiling water! you can get a pan and put water half way and throw the thermostat in and watch it if it opens.. .. if it dont then you just knocked out 1 of the problems to the next..

don koupe 25
10-14-2008, 02:06 PM
i started the car up with no thermostat. so much for overheating. it doesn't seem to overheat anymore. and i tried putting the thermostat in boiling water. i dunno how hot it was. but i turned the stove to 450 degrees and let it sit for a good half hoyr if not more. threw the thermostat in. nothing. bad thermostat???? now what cud happen for not having the thermostat in the car. cause i have to be able to drive to autozone to pik another one up?????

VickNotic
10-14-2008, 08:59 PM
i started the car up with no thermostat. so much for overheating. it doesn't seem to overheat anymore. and i tried putting the thermostat in boiling water. i dunno how hot it was. but i turned the stove to 450 degrees and let it sit for a good half hoyr if not more. threw the thermostat in. nothing. bad thermostat???? now what cud happen for not having the thermostat in the car. cause i have to be able to drive to autozone to pik another one up?????

well then you found your problem, your thermostat was not opening up, now both of your hose's should be warm/normal heat now.. thank me .. :) wish my problem was as easy as this.. driving it to autozone and back shouldnt be a problem, thermostat are just insurances .. so motor wont over heat!

mod94civ
10-14-2008, 09:39 PM
I only use factory honda thermostats when replacing because of the problems you are having

don koupe 25
10-14-2008, 09:45 PM
yea. but now my temp gauge sits at this level. wrk with me on this im gonna try my best to picture it.

C........m.l.l......H

shudn't it be somewhere lower than the middle. also, for now im running str8 water thru my system. dunno if i mentioned it before.