PDA

View Full Version : A filibuster proof democratic majority?

tony
10-13-2008, 01:54 PM
This is something that concerns me. I've always believed that absolute power corrupts and as things look now, Obama will probably win. The concern comes with the idea that there could be enough democrats in congress after Nov. 4th that there would be no balance there.

It's no secret that I support Obama but I don't believe in just handing ANYONE, even him the keys and saying "Do whatever you like." But it looks like that is the road we are going. I'm sure a lot of hardcore democrats will disagree but I think we are headed down the wrong path by letting one party COMPLETELY rule the Legislative and Executive branch of government.

TIGERJC
10-13-2008, 02:03 PM
This is something that concerns me. I've always believed that absolute power corrupts and as things look now, Obama will probably win. The concern comes with the idea that there could be enough democrats in congress after Nov. 4th that there would be no balance there.

It's no secret that I support Obama but I don't believe in just handing ANYONE, even him the keys and saying "Do whatever you like." But it looks like that is the road we are going. I'm sure a lot of hardcore democrats will disagree but I think we are headed down the wrong path by letting one party COMPLETELY rule the Legislative and Executive branch of government.
I agree, just look at the last 8 years under bush to see what happens when someone has absolute powers

4dmin
10-13-2008, 02:04 PM
i look at it this way dems have a couple of years to make something happen or fuck it up like bush when reps had majority. the problem with politics is the partisanship gets in the way - atleast if we take it out of the equation its a win/fail situation. if they do what they promise and economy swings around then we can't complain.

tony
10-13-2008, 02:11 PM
It just has the makings of something that shouldn't be. The democrats were kicked out in 96 for a reason, the same with republicans in 2006. They get too comfortable and a little cocky.. Clinton was at his best when he had to deal with a Republican congress, I tend to think the same would bring the best out of Obama.

Vteckidd
10-13-2008, 02:11 PM
I agree, just look at the last 8 years under bush to see what happens when someone has absolute powers
6 years, Dems have had congress the last 2 years.

but yeah absolute power is never good.

Vteckidd
10-13-2008, 02:17 PM
It just has the makings of something that shouldn't be. The democrats were kicked out in 96 for a reason, the same with republicans in 2006. They get too comfortable and a little cocky.. Clinton was at his best when he had to deal with a Republican congress, I tend to think the same would bring the best out of Obama.
i tend to agree. I mean Clinton did great with Newt in the house, they got alot of stuff done whether it was good for us or not, they were very active.

i guess what really gets at me is how this congress seems so lazy and i just dont think they are active.

I think alot of it is just way to partisan, its no secret i hate pelosi and reid. but the republicans are to blame too.

heres what i find comfort in:
Obama and the Dems wont be able to do much the first year, because the budget will already have been passed, etc etc

We wont see any major policy change until Obamas second year and we wont see any effects from those until late in his third year.

Same with Mccain

so it looks like a good bit of same old same old in the next few years

BanginJimmy
10-13-2008, 02:52 PM

As stated already, Dems took control of both houses in 06, and we got Reid and Pelosi. 1 thing that Bush NEVER had was a filibuster proof congress though.

BanginJimmy
10-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Clinton was at his best when he had to deal with a Republican congress, I tend to think the same would bring the best out of Obama.

Clinton also benefitted from having extrememly strong majority leaders in both houses who believed in bi-partisanship. The lack of bi-partisanship by both parties in congress now is a major factor in many of todays problems and it will only get worse with a filibuster proof congress.

AlanŽ
10-13-2008, 03:16 PM
i look at it this way dems have a couple of years to make something happen or fuck it up like bush when reps had majority. the problem with politics is the partisanship gets in the way - atleast if we take it out of the equation its a win/fail situation. if they do what they promise and economy swings around then we can't complain.
While I agreem we aren't really changing the citutation we are in. We are simply giving someone else the chance to do exactly what we have been doing. But we are now going to execute it it in a different way. I'm probably not making much sense but yea.

Total_Blender
10-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Perhaps the 111th congress will elect a new Speaker of the House next year. Doubtful, but given that Pelosi led them to a sub 30% approval rating, you never know.

BanginJimmy
10-13-2008, 03:38 PM
here is a poll of current congressional approval ratings.

http://www.pollingreport.com/CongJob.htm

And here is the president's

http://www.pollingreport.com/BushJob.htm

alpine_aw11
10-13-2008, 07:16 PM
This is the only reason I'm going to vote for McCain even though I don't like him. Obama in a largely democrat controlled congress downright scares me. Especially this congress.