PDA

View Full Version : do you think taxes will have to go up no matter who is in office?

4dmin
10-13-2008, 08:58 AM
do you think taxes will have to go up no matter who is in office?

honestly i wouldn't throw it out but i would not be surprised if even mccain had to raise taxes somewhere... US isn't in great shape and we need funding to do everything that is needed to get this economy in full swing.

this isn't a partisan issue but opinion.

i was watching a study on global recession; which is funny b/c bush will not admit we are in a recession... either way. global recessions tend to last longer then US recessions - estimations are around 16 months. many economist think if history repeats itself that economy won't turn around till next spring/summer.

what is your opinion?

willum14pb
10-13-2008, 09:28 AM
elections always come down to who has better tax policies.. 90% of the time, nothing happens, except a raise in taxes over their term. With our economies current state it's impossible to lower taxes, significantly, especially for 95% of americans... Im for or against either candidate for taxes, that's the least of my worries at this point. Either way, god help us.

alpine_aw11
10-13-2008, 09:33 AM
I think both candidates are going to end up having to raise taxes MUCH more than their initial plans state. Obama will not be able to keep his middle class tax cuts in place without insanely overtaxing the rich imo. McCain's plan already means less taxes across the board, with the middle class taxed a bit more than Obama but the same cuts for the rich. I really think both candidates are going to fuck our economy up far worse than it is now if their current plans come to fruition. Time will tell, but without completely overhauling government spending(which should be the absolute FIRST priority of whichever candidate wins) and making extreme cuts we are all going to be taxed out the ass down the line.

Vteckidd
10-13-2008, 09:58 AM
my personal opinion is

1) Obama gets in, taxes will go up on everyone, i dont think itll be drastic for %95 of us, but they will go up

2) If Mccain gets in, i dont see how hes going to be able to offer tax cuts for everyone. We are going to need too much money.

Putting all the partisan stuff aside, i think we need to look at SPENDING and get back to, what can we really afford to be doing.

Obviously the war needs to come to a close correctly, both candidates are offereing healthcare packages i dont think we can afford right now, etcetcetc

I think no matter who gets in, taxes are going up, i just dont see how they wont

DrivenMind
10-13-2008, 11:39 AM
At the rate we're spending we're going to have to tax someone. I think making "tax issues" of significant importance is a joke. We are so far in debt, there's a good chance we aren't ever going to pay it off. Unless we are prepared to stop this insane foreign policy we are going to run out of money sooner or later. Even with high taxes we can't afford to keep it up the way we're doing.

Unfortunately you just can't get that tax money out of people who don't have any.

AirMax95
10-13-2008, 11:59 AM
my personal opinion is

1) Obama gets in, taxes will go up on everyone, i dont think itll be drastic for %95 of us, but they will go up

2) If Mccain gets in, i dont see how hes going to be able to offer tax cuts for everyone. We are going to need too much money.

Putting all the partisan stuff aside, i think we need to look at SPENDING and get back to, what can we really afford to be doing.

Obviously the war needs to come to a close correctly, both candidates are offereing healthcare packages i dont think we can afford right now, etcetcetc

I think no matter who gets in, taxes are going up, i just dont see how they wont

Well I'll be......I can agree with Mike again, lol.

Spending is definatley where we need to look first. I am sure there are many areas that we can cut, but of course with all the people in Politicians pockets it makes you wonder where?

tony
10-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Unfortunately it has to happen. Its not even rich or poor, everyone needs to pull their weight at this point.

alpine_aw11
10-13-2008, 12:55 PM
The only issue I'm worried about is fairness. Yes, rich people should pay more. But how much more? Taxes obviously need to be raised. But when Obama realizes his tax cut for everyone below 250k won't work in the end, he needs to come up with a plan that doesn't overtax anyone. And yes, I'm speaking as if he will be elected because it seems that's what will happen.

BanginJimmy
10-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Taxes arent the problem, spending is. Until spending is reigned in, congress could levy 100% taxes on everyone and we would still fall further into debt.

To answer the question though, taxes WILL go UP for everyone in the next presidential term. It doesnt matter who is sitting in the office. With a veto proof congress it will start with those making over 90k, but it will eventually spread to everyone.

man
10-14-2008, 01:52 AM
In my opinion a change in taxes won't help a damn thing. The recession is not something anyone can fix by themselves. It takes almost every citizen to make it work.

jwrape
10-14-2008, 06:27 AM
I think if either candidate could possibly get rid of the "Pork Barrel" spending, our taxes could go down. The extra spending in ANY bill passed is rediculous. :eek:

tony
10-14-2008, 08:34 AM
I think if either candidate could possibly get rid of the "Pork Barrel" spending, our taxes could go down. The extra spending in ANY bill passed is rediculous. :eek:

Pork Barrel Spending makes up for $18 Billion of our fiscal budget.. we've racked up $5 Trillion in the last 7 years. Pork Barrel spending is a part of it but hardly THE answer.