PDA

View Full Version : Cars Wanna see what happens when advertising budgets get cut?

SixSquared
10-12-2008, 08:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kiXGNIYBlQ

Pay attention to the background, cars going by, etc. 2008 Honda Fit commercial.

Now, pay attention to the same thing in this commercial from 1993 for the del Sol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqa-b3assCA

Got Milk?
10-12-2008, 08:22 PM
damn, talk about bad commercial

SixSquared
10-13-2008, 06:59 AM
It's not really a "bad" commercial, but what's happening is that because the economy is so bad, art jobs have been cut a LOT. Design firms are either on a hiring freeze or actually laying people off, because the companies they work with (in this case Honda) doesn't have the money to pay them for "new" work. So what you end up seeing instead is commercials/ad layouts/ad campaigns being "recycled". The del Sol ad never aired, because Honda basically got a "warning" that it was too close to James Bond and they might have had some copyright issues. Since it was never aired, it got recycled into the Fit ad lol. So if you're watching TV anytime and you see an ad and think it looks familiar from a few years ago, you're probably right lol.

Brian*
10-13-2008, 01:45 PM
hell, why not save some money*

Nittanys1
10-13-2008, 01:53 PM
It's not really a "bad" commercial, but what's happening is that because the economy is so bad, art jobs have been cut a LOT. Design firms are either on a hiring freeze or actually laying people off, because the companies they work with (in this case Honda) doesn't have the money to pay them for "new" work. So what you end up seeing instead is commercials/ad layouts/ad campaigns being "recycled". The del Sol ad never aired, because Honda basically got a "warning" that it was too close to James Bond and they might have had some copyright issues. Since it was never aired, it got recycled into the Fit ad lol. So if you're watching TV anytime and you see an ad and think it looks familiar from a few years ago, you're probably right lol.

which suxs as thats y i lost my job...along with a few others I worked with...

SixSquared
10-14-2008, 11:12 AM
^^That sucks. :(

Definitely makes me nervous considering I have about $75k in student loans...

... from going to art school.

I'm way seriously considering moving to Europe when I graduate. The economy is better there, and they are still hiring artists.

yungdz
10-14-2008, 12:12 PM
I think Honda recycled the background on purpose considering it didnt get used the first time. Not to mention it was over 10 years ago. I do agree with you that the economy is affecting budgets, just don't think its the case here. Good find though, I enjoyed the James bond commercial and I wish more commercials were like short films, perhaps when the economy levels out lol.