PDA

View Full Version : AIG bailout scandal...

4dmin
10-09-2008, 08:03 AM
So it is reported 1 week after AIG was bailout out by tax payers they spent approx $445,000 on a retreat for employees. Obama brought this up in the last debate and suggested gov ask for their money back and execs fired. What is your take?

discuss.

willum14pb
10-09-2008, 08:04 AM
445k on an employee retreat is well needed.. better than having to fire everyone. IMO. Im sure the employees were happy to know they were going to keep their jobs and get a short little vacation for a celebration.

Sammich
10-09-2008, 08:09 AM
x2

if no one has a job, how will the economy bounce back?

carbon_crash
10-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Funny you posted this topic today:

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198425

Sammich
10-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Full story:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081008...DeHQf2A5g5I2ocA (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081008/ap_on_bi_ge/meltdown_aig;_ylt=AhjwdklRAjzFQDeHQf2A5g5I2ocA)

WASHINGTON - Days after it got a federal bailout, American International Group Inc. spent $440,000 on a posh California retreat for its executives, complete with spa treatments, banquets and golf outings, according to lawmakers investigating the company's meltdown.

So tax payers get to pick up the check for these execs to enjoy a vacation? Such BS! AIG should not be given any relief if this is how they spend some of the relief money. What a joke, they shouldn't need a "posh" vacation to make them feel better, hell, they should be glad they still are able to stay open.

/rant :eek:
i retract my previous statment

DrivenMind
10-09-2008, 08:15 AM
Sounds like solid business practices to me...

willum14pb
10-09-2008, 08:16 AM
:eek:
i retract my previous statment

x2 lol

we should get a fucking refund.

Sammich
10-09-2008, 08:17 AM
x2 lol

we should get a fucking refund.

they were talking about, on yahoo's news, about doing another stimulus payout:thinking:

$60B

willum14pb
10-09-2008, 08:18 AM
they were talking about, on yahoo's news, about doing another stimulus payout:thinking:

$60B

is that a fucking joke? WHY!? the first one was an insult, the second one is like a kick in the face rather than a slap. That $600+ went to peoples matresses and they hoarded it like little jews. It didn't go back into our economy at all. Everyone said "OH SHIT, FREE GOV MONEY? IM KEEPIN THIS SHIT!!" lol anyways, fucking ridiculous with the stimulous bullshit.

carbon_crash
10-09-2008, 08:19 AM
IMO, the $700 billion should have been a stimulus payout. I understand the market needed a boost, and saving wallstreet important for the whole economy, but putting millions of dollars into each executive's pocket for another paycheck is complete bs.

DrivenMind
10-09-2008, 08:22 AM

$60B

That's cool... We can just ask the Fed to just create more money out of thin air to keep the people quiet as the value of the dollar steadily drops.

Did you know a silver quarter buys as much or more gas today than it did in 1932?

Sammich
10-09-2008, 08:22 AM
is that a fucking joke? WHY!? the first one was an insult, the second one is like a kick in the face rather than a slap. That $600+ went to peoples matresses and they hoarded it like little jews. It didn't go back into our economy at all. Everyone said "OH SHIT, FREE GOV MONEY? IM KEEPIN THIS SHIT!!" lol anyways, fucking ridiculous with the stimulous bullshit.

x2..it wasnt enough to do nothing with but to save..my wife and i took $400($200/ piece) and saved the rest

IMO, the $700 billion should have been a stimulus payout
agreed

4dmin
10-09-2008, 08:50 AM
sorry i should of clarified... it was for select few not the entire company or large portion of it... basically the movers/shakers.

carbon_crash
10-09-2008, 08:54 AM
sorry i should of clarified... it was for select few not the entire company or large portion of it... basically the movers/shakers.

The ones that went on this "retreat" were the same ones that seen all this coming a long time ago. None of the grunt workers attended this outting apparently. Such bs to know that our tax dollars is paying the extremely high salaries of these execs.

DrivenMind
10-09-2008, 09:31 AM
We should arm ourselves... and hunt them. For sport.

Deke
10-09-2008, 09:34 AM
I heard about this last night. It pisses me off to no end.

Total_Blender
10-09-2008, 10:15 AM
We should arm ourselves... and hunt them. For sport.

The gov't should set up a resort where you pay a $100k fee and then you get to hunt them. Kind of like that Ice-T movie "Surviving the Game". That way they'd get our money back. But Dick Cheney should not be involved. His record of safety on hunting trips is almost as bad as McCain's record of safety as a pilot. :lmfao:

Sammich
10-09-2008, 10:22 AM
The gov't should set up a resort where you pay a $100k fee and then you get to hunt them. Kind of like that Ice-T movie "Surviving the Game". That way they'd get our money back. But Dick Cheney should not be involved. His record of safety on hunting trips is almost as bad as McCain's record of safety as a pilot. :lmfao:

or as bad as Pres Bush trying to ride a bike

BanginJimmy
10-09-2008, 10:45 AM
I heard more about this today. It wasnt the AIG that you are thinking of. It was a subsidary of AIG called American General. They took their movers and shakers to the retreat. Also, American General is profitable, unlike the mother company.

Vteckidd
10-09-2008, 10:53 AM
it was the top executives.

DO i think its absolutely wrong, YES

But there is no evidence they used the 80 BILLION to go on a vacation with like its being reported.

ALl of these guys were MILLIONAIRES already, i think they got the bailout money and said "whew dodged a bullet lets go celebrate"

Obama is making it sound as if they spent the 500,000 FROM the 80 billion. I seriously hope they are not that stupid, and it doesnt look that way.

Is it in bad taste, ABSOLUTELY, as your employees are getting fired and your business is crumbling you take off on a trip. Poor judgement IMO.

You know, the more an more i read about this, the more and more im just going to write in Dennis Miller.

I think ive completely lost faith in our political system. Obama is going to wreck this country if he gets in, Mccain i dont think will have the balls to go after the poeple he says he will.

maybe we need to have a huge crisis like this to weed all the losers out