PDA

View Full Version : Random Stratocaster vs. LG (Tone Comparison Improv)

DrivenMind
10-08-2008, 06:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bei3P6zqUhw

The guitar you see in my sig has been a work in progress over the past two years, and with the exception of the wiring, I built and set it up myself. Using parts I inherited from my dad. After two years of tinkering, I've finally got it set it to my liking. The second guitar is my LG which was my second guitar, and given to me by my dad after two years of playing as incentive to keep at it. So, ten years after I started playing guitar, I've now got the blues guitar I've always wanted. Certainly more incentive to keep playing.

Check em out if you're into that weird "guitar music" like blues, rock, or metal.

Comments are much appreciated.

green91
10-08-2008, 06:45 PM
I especially like the first clip with the strat. Ill be honest im not a huge fan of the avt50's distorted tone and the delay was excessive with the godin.. but if you could get a more clear recording from the amp to the pc it would help ALOT. BTW, where did you get your jam tracks from? Im definitely digging your playing and musical style. Im kind of doing the reverse after playing rock style for a while im now getting into blues more and working on my improvisation

DrivenMind
10-08-2008, 07:36 PM
Yea, the AVT50 is a great practice amp, but it's not dripping with tone like a tube amp. I play it distorted because it works at low volume, and being that I'm in such a little space I'll go deaf within minutes if I crank one of the tube amps up to get the sound I want. I've got a Peavey Classic 30, and a Kendrick tube amp too, but the Peavey needs new tubes, and the Kendrick doesn't have a gain adjustment so it's really only good for clean stuff, but it does that exceptionally well.

I actually had the avt50 fall out of the back of my truck once, and some redneck neighbor tossed it in his truck as I was driving away, and tried to steal it. I don't think the dude had ever been run down so fast by anyone in his life.

Part of the problem with the Godin in this video is that I had it plugged into the computer, and had the monitor on (hence the supremely exaggerated distortion)

evokenny
10-08-2008, 07:39 PM
i like the second piece you did its niiice [=

DrivenMind
10-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Thank you.

Romeo
10-08-2008, 09:04 PM
nice. great stuff. you've definetly got some talent on that thing. haha. rep'd.

DrivenMind
10-08-2008, 09:25 PM
BTW, where did you get your jam tracks from? Im definitely digging your playing and musical style. Im kind of doing the reverse after playing rock style for a while im now getting into blues more and working on my improvisation

Sorry I didn't respond to your question the first time, the tracks are from a series of CDs called Cafe Del Mar, that particular album is Volumen Siete. I got really sick of playing the same old classic rock stuff sometime last year, so I started looking for down tempo electronic stuff. The second song is actually a down tempo version of "Letting the Cables Sleep" by Bush from the album I mentioned earlier, and I actually can't remember what the first song was...

Some stuff I can recommend would be Chill Out Lounge, Chillout Moods, Cafe Del Mar, Ministry of Sound Chillout classics. But the big one is Cafe Del Mar, everything from them is top notch, and pretty tasteful.

If you're familiar with the pentatonic scale, you're literally just another note away from playing blues lead.

green91
10-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Awesome, i'll definitely check it out. Im familiar with the pentatonic and Im currently at the stage where im trying to learn what scales go well with what chord progressions and trying to memorize shapes.. which is somewhat boring at times lol. But also dont take me as trying to be a downer on your tone or style, i think you're actually very good. After listening to greats like eric johnson or satriani its hard to remember sometimes that some people are human! Oh yea hook me up with some of your online resources lol.

DrivenMind
10-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Oh no man I didn't take it like that at all... I a big Satch, and Johnson fan, and I try to pick up what I can from watching them play. I'm entirely self-taught, so getting compliments, and feedback on my playing is flattering, and helps me know what to work on next. My Godin has a pickup I put in when I was 16, wanted to sound like Metallica, and when I first heard the solo to Floods by Pantera... but I've outgrown it quite a bit in the past few years, especially now that I can play it back to back with the Strat and hear the difference.

It's fun for playing hard rock, and metal stuff, especially when I want to go for that the Zakk Wylde style pinch harmonics, and uber fast pentonic shapes, but I'm planning on changing the pick ups sometime soon, the Dimebucker is just too hot and way to peaky to be useful.

This is one of the best resources I've come across for guitar playing, on line.
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php
At the top you'll find tons of stuff you can use to practice

A few more;
http://www.jguitar.com/
http://www.freeguitarvideos.com

And there are tons of guitar lessons on Youtube too.

DrivenMind
11-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Bump, need hits on YouTube to take over world.

DrivenMind
11-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Awesome, i'll definitely check it out. Im familiar with the pentatonic and Im currently at the stage where im trying to learn what scales go well with what chord progressions and trying to memorize shapes.. which is somewhat boring at times lol.

Note, your pentatonic scales will go with almost any chords. They skip the notes that define tonality so to speak, which is a big part of what makes them so handy.