PDA

View Full Version : Advice on toning down a LOUD exhaust.

Ran
10-08-2008, 10:40 AM
So I put an off-road H-pipe on my 08 Mustang the other day and the car is loud as all hell. It seriously makes my teeth rattle. To get an idea of what it sounds like take a Harley Davidson V-Rod, remove all the baffles from the exhaust, then park it in a closed garage and rev the living hell out of it. That's how loud it is.

The full exhaust consists of the H-pipe, stock midpipe, and SLP Loudmouth axle-backs. Basically, straight pipe from the headers back.

The car sounds good at cruising speeds, awesome at WOT, but raspy under partial acceleration. I need a way to tone it down abit and do away with some of the raspiness. I'm considering trying out the stock mufflers with the H-Pipe later today to see what works. My real goal is to maybe put on some nice long resonators to mellow out the tone.

Advice?

Init2winit
10-08-2008, 10:50 AM
I hate the slp exhaust. To me, they sound like ****ty glass packs. You could do one of three things. Get a catted h-pipe, get a different cat back, or do both. If it were me, I'd do both. My cobra has a bassani catted h-pipe, and a set of flowmaster 3 chambers, and its plenty loud, and it sounds great too. Everyone has their own taste in exhaust sound, but I think for you, you're gonna have to change the whole set-up.

Vteckidd
10-08-2008, 10:51 AM
resonators are your friend

DeeAOne
10-08-2008, 10:55 AM
resonators are your friendx2 definitely. lol

Ran
10-08-2008, 10:57 AM
I hate the slp exhaust. To me, they sound like ****ty glass packs. You could do one of three things. Get a catted h-pipe, get a different cat back, or do both. If it were me, I'd do both. My cobra has a bassani catted h-pipe, and a set of flowmaster 3 chambers, and its plenty loud, and it sounds great too. Everyone has their own taste in exhaust sound, but I think for you, you're gonna have to change the whole set-up.Well, the SLP's sounded great by themselves. They sound even better with the Brenspeed intake setup. The exhaust is just a bit on the raspy side. I think that if I can smooth that out, I'll be happy. :)

Elbow
10-08-2008, 10:58 AM

x3

Sammich
10-08-2008, 11:08 AM

agreed..probably your most cost effective alternative